Woody Allen Films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Woody Allen's one of the greats imo. I'm not too fond of his newer films, but Annie Hall, Manhattan and Crimes and Misdemeanors are great. And he's so prolific; I haven't seen many of his movies yet because of the sheer amount.

Anyway, discuss the man and his work here! I was shocked that there weren't any threads for the man's films.

Impediment
Honestly, I think that Woody Allen is very overrated. C & M was great, but I just didn't like a lot of his other films.

BruceSkywalker
I have always liked Annie Hall, Stardust Memories, and Hannah and Her Sisters

MildPossession
Annie Hall is one of my all time favourites, so that's what I voted for in the poll, it's perfect. I recommend his film Interiors, another of his best works ever, especially if you are a fan of Ingmar Bergman like me, Interiors is immensely influenced by Bergman. Try September also, the same sort of direction as Interiors but it wasn't big with me.

It's true, his later films are mediocre compared to his older works but still nothing extremely bad compared to some films released.

Master Crimzon
The ones who don't like Woody's newer films honestly ought to watch Match Point. It's a great movie.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
The ones who don't like Woody's newer films honestly ought to watch Match Point. It's a great movie.

Didn't like Match Point. It was actually one of the ones I was thinking of when I said I wasn't fond of the recent stuff.

Master Crimzon
You didn't...? Can I ask why you didn't like it?

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
You didn't...? Can I ask why you didn't like it?

It didn't seem nearly as relevant, interesting or enjoyable as Allen's older work; the characters weren't likable. I remember it being very mediocre. Not terrible, but not deserving of any sort of praise really.

siriuswriter
i think his earlier films were the best. "Take the Money and Run" is far and away my favorite, although "Annie Hall" is close behind.

I also love "Radio Days," which is narrated by Allen, and is the story of him growing up. Great movie. The woman who voices Marge Simpson plays the mother. smile

K.Canton
I'm really not a huge fan of his, but if I had to pick one, I would say Annie Hall.

backdoorman
Annie Hall definitely. About his newer films, sure he's done some stupid shit but I like a lot of his newer stuff. Vick Cristina Barcelona was very good.

Mindship
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Annie Hall
Hannah and Her Sisters
Play it Again, Sam
Sleeper

All gems.

finntastic54
Zelig is right up there with my all time favorites: The Coca-Cola Kid and Repo Man.

Zelip is clearly Woody's best work.

Billy

sheila143
I think Match point,it is good,and one of the best of his,many poeple don't like it,but I liked this movie

SnakeEyes
I have Interiors and Hannah and Her Sisters in my room right now. Hopefully I'll get around to watching them soon.

Also, I watched Bananas and Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sex... I wasn't really fond of either of them. I don't like Woody Allen's zany/comedy-only films that much.

SnakeEyes
Just recently watched Hannah and Her Sisters and... I loved it! Adding it to my list of favorite Woody Allen films. I also watched Interiors, which I thought was good, but almost a bit too, I don't know, drab? But very well-written.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.