Elimination Chamber

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

manx422
Brian M Bendis
vs
Geoff Johns
vs
Kurt Busiek
vs
Jeph Loeb
vs
Jim Starlin
vs
Grant Morrison

Mr. Immortal
Originally posted by manx422
Jack Kirby
vs
Brian M Bendis
vs
Geoff Johns
vs
Stan Lee
vs
Kurt Busiek
vs
Jeph Loeb
vs
Jim Starlin
vs
Grant Morrison

With ''The King'' and ''The Man'' in there, everybody else becomes a non factor.

Donno who'd take it between those two though.

manx422
vote for ur favorite writer

Mr. Immortal
Out of who's left? I'll go with Busiek. Starlin being a close 2nd.

Enyalus
Johns, Starlin or Morrison.

Philosophía
Grant.
Geoff.

quanchi112
Starlin, obviously.

TricksterPriest
Geoff and Morrison. Between them? Morrison IMO. **** everyone who didn't get it or hated it, FC was ****ing genius. big grin Starlin is a joke.

Enyalus
FC was a trainwreck and is the only reason Morrison doesn't run away with this.

I have a thesaurus and when you look up the word 'fail,' two of the synonyms for it are 'Bendis' and 'Loeb' - so we need not go into why they get raped here.

Busiek writes good shit, but his hero worship for Supes borders on the homoerotic. Even when Busiek's not having Supes do utterly ridiculous things feat wise, the story is always about how awesome Supes is. Back in Action arc springs to mind most immediately. So, he's out.

Starlin also writes good shit. Warlock, Captain Marvel, Infinity Watch, DOTNG and Holy War, etc. All great stuff. Problem is that Starlin has these occasional "WTF?" moments. Like...having Starfire suggest they need "a Superman or the Green Lantern Corps." That, or he downplays the character's abilities in certain arcs that makes them look retarded. Take Thanos during the Infinity Gauntlet saga as the example. Takes on the heroes using the Power Gem, and seems to not only get hurt by Masterson Thor but also gets knocked back by Spiderman. Yet, in the arc immediately preceding IG he's unamped and standing on even footing with Champion w/ PG (who completely wrecked Thor head-to-head.)

So, its WTF moments like this that kinda rule Starlin out.

Johns almost always writes good arcs, but he downplays characters abilities too and I like my guys written pretty overpowered. So...

Morrison...fantastic writer. Guy could be a novelist if he wanted to. Everything he writes is beautiful and I've enjoyed a lot of his work. But FC...jesus. The dialogue was still good. The overall writing was beautiful. But the plot...no. I don't care what anyone says - you don't introduce two ultimate threats in the same arc. You definitely don't do it for the supposed largest threat in the multiverse for half of one issue, and have him defeated in that same issue. You could've made it 12 issues (like COIE was) and the two uber badguy thing still wouldn't have been a good idea. Anyone read Sketch Magazine? One of the advice they give to beginner writers is to make your villains compelling and introduce them in a relevant way. Mandrakk was completely unnecessary for the story. I feel like DC told Morrison they needed something epic, and Morrison tried too hard to deliver. It didn't feel natural. It was overthetop and cliche. And again, FC 7 completely dropped the ball.

That being said...like I mentioned before, the writing itself was still classic Morrison, and I've enjoyed pretty much every other Morrison-written story I've read, so he might be my choice as well to win this.

Juk3n
Originally posted by Mr. Immortal
With ''The King'' and ''The Man'' in there, everybody else becomes a non factor.

Don't forget "the Douche", i know who gets that title! big grin

Bouboumaster
A couple of years before, Loeb would have won hands down after he written The Long Halloween. Talk about a genius who lost it.

TricksterPriest
The man's son DIED. erm After a 3 year battle with Cancer. sad That's enough to break most people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Loeb

Mekrob
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
The man's son DIED. erm After a 3 year battle with Cancer. sad That's enough to break most people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Loeb Not Batman

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Mekrob
Not Batman

Nah. All it took for Batman was....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/Bane-breaks-Batman-497pg21.png

jrodslam
Shit. Was Kirby added in there?

Kirby and Lee are the last 2 standing imo. I do like Johns and Busieks work.

Mekrob
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Nah. All it took for Batman was....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/Bane-breaks-Batman-497pg21.png Batman bounced back

Enyalus
Originally posted by Mekrob
Batman bounced back
Yeah. Like the Octamom's boobs.

Galan007
I don't care who wins, so long as Loeb dies a very slow/painful death.

Decapitation with a spoon, perhaps? eatermm

Newjak
Originally posted by Galan007
I don't care who wins, so long as Loeb dies a very slow/painful death.

Decapitation with a spoon, perhaps? eatermm A rusty spoon?

Galan007
Of course.

Raoul
Morrison's FC did suffer near the end, but the rest of it was excellent, imo.

Busiek, most of the times, writes Superman the way he should be written. He's the counter to idiots like McDuffie, who don't have a clue, and Robinson, who writes some of the worst Superman dialogue i've ever seen.

Loeb used to be great, and if you went by the totality of his career, he'd be up there. Too much recent crap ruins it though...

Bendis is a Hank pym hating hack. f*ck him.

Starlin... eh.

Morrison, for me.

psycho gundam
stan lee/kirby are by far the best.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.