Fallout New Vegas

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nactous
http://kotaku.com/5219584/new-fallout-announced

Morridini
Interesting.

Why is it that Obsidian seems to be the company always hired to do "sequels"?

Nactous
Dont know.....

Nemesis X
So not only will I decide to be a good guy or an Ahole but I can also gamble away until I'm broke?

Smasandian
Originally posted by Morridini
Interesting.

Why is it that Obsidian seems to be the company always hired to do "sequels"?

I guess that's what they are good at. It's a good thing because some of the developers were part of the original Fallout team.

It might be a business decision also getting hired out by the publisher to create a game that has already been established so its more of a sure thing money wise then creating a new IP.

Nactous
Originally posted by Smasandian
I guess that's what they are good .

Not at their first attempt!!

ThunderGodEneru
Interesting.

Why is it that Obsidian seems to be the company always hired to do "sequels"? It's not a sequel.

Nemesis X
I still don't get it. Is Vegas gonna be a wasteland where you fight off mutants or do you just gamble like crazy, or is it both?

ThunderGodEneru
Do you honestly think they would make a Fallout game where you only gambled?

+10STR
Interesting.

Why is it that Obsidian seems to be the company always hired to do "sequels"? Originally posted by Smasandian
I guess that's what they are good at. It's a good thing because some of the developers were part of the original Fallout team.

It might be a business decision also getting hired out by the publisher to create a game that has already been established so its more of a sure thing money wise then creating a new IP.

It's usually because the original team is working on a different game...hopefully this means Eldar Scrolls is in the works.

+10STR
Looks like Bethesda is busy working on Rogue Warrior, there we go.
bethsoft.com/eng/games/games_roguewarrior.html

Morridini
Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
It's not a sequel.

Thus the quotations-marks.

Originally posted by +10STR
It's usually because the original team is working on a different game...hopefully this means Eldar Scrolls is in the works.

I know why they choose to hire other developers, my question was why it seems to be Obsidian 90% of the time.

+10STR
Familiar with RPG games, familiar with game engines, familiar with the Fallout franchise etc...

Smasandian
Thus the quotations-marks.

I know why they choose to hire other developers, my question was why it seems to be Obsidian 90% of the time.

Because they are veteran developers who can do a decent/good game in a short amount of time, and probably less money.

Also, they've done a ton of RPG's. It only make sense to hire those guys out to do a "sequel".

Nactous
Because they are veteran developers who can do a decent/good game in a short amount of time,

Not with their first attempt.

Smasandian
KOTOR2 was a good game. Not great, but good.

Icy Ninja
This is true it was just rushed and didn't reach its full potential.

Don't know if I will follow this game didn't think Fallout 3 was the Big Game of the year many people said it was.

Smasandian
I thought it was absolutely fantastic.

ThunderGodEneru
Originally posted by Icy Ninja
This is true it was just rushed and didn't reach its full potential.

Don't know if I will follow this game didn't think Fallout 3 was the Big Game of the year many people said it was. You're opinion sucks.

Icy Ninja
Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
You're opinion sucks.
Why do you think my opinion sucks I never said it was a fact just my personal feeling about the game. There was no need to say it sucked if you disagree with it just say you disagree with me saying my opinion sucks came across as quite rude. erm

Nactous

It was an okay game, but as a sequel, it goes down as one of the worst ever made....

Smasandian
A little bit overdramatic.

And a game cannot be okay, but be the worst ever made also.

Its either a good game, or bad game.

And it was a decent game. It was fun, it did what it had to do, and it was not awful.

Was it great, no, but not the worst game ever made.

Nemesis X
This just went from Fallout to KOTOR. While we're talking about this, KOTORII wasn't that great but it was still fun. I mostly played as a Sith.

Nactous

And a game cannot be okay, but be the worst ever made also.

Its either a good game, or bad game.

And it was a decent game. It was fun, it did what it had to do, and it was not awful.

Was it great, no, but not the worst game ever made.

Of course it can due to the fact that you are judging it in two different categories.

Sequels need to be more than "JUST FUN", especially when you are trying to market your game based on the success of the first. In that case you either have to be as good, or surpass what your comparing it to(at the very least try). As a stand alone game it was okay, one of the better Star Wars games in the last 5 years perhaps. But as a sequel it failed miserably, and yes, without a doubt one of the worst sequels ever developed.

But, to stay on topic. My faith in Obsidian is somewhat low.

Smasandian
No, no, no.

A sequel is just a game. It doesn't matter if its a sequel or not.
If you say a game is okay, its okay. You can say, "the game was okay, but compared to the original, I didn't like it as much"

Just because its a sequel doesn't change the programing behind the game.

You didn't say the sequel failed miserably, you said as a sequel, "its the worst game ever made". It cant be interpreted any other way.

Nactous
No, a sequel is not just a game. Especially not when you slap "Sequel to the 2003 Game of the Year." It doesn't deserve the title it was given, I already said it was an okay stand alone game, but don't Leach off the name of the first one if your not going to live up to it. There is something called standards after-all....

And yes, as a sequel it was one of the wrost made, because it failed miserably.

THE JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Nactous
It was an okay game, but as a sequel, it goes down as one of the worst ever made....

See, I disagree with Nac on this one... I hate Kotor 2 all around. It was as pathetic a sequel as it was a half-assed game. It didn't stand up to the Kotor 1 quality at all, it had huge plot holes, and their two poster characters (Nihilus and Atris) were probably the most minor poster characters I have EVER seen. Not to mention the fact that they hyped up Nihilus to be this bad-ass kill-everything-that-gets-in-my-way boss... untill you meet him and kill him with 5 force storms... I didn't even have to move the second time I fought him. No, this was not a good game, it wasn't a decent game, it wasn't even an acceptable game. It was a half-assed pathetic excuse for a video game... and an even worse sequel.

Ultraviolence
I enjoyed Fallout III and I'm looking forward to playing this installment. I just hope they don't botch it.

WickedDynamite
I just saw the Collectors Edition and got interested. I like the story so far; having New California vs New Vegas....yeah! We will conquer it one day.

This game is prophetic!

I'm there!

Nemesis X
Here's a quest that was shown yesterday and it's a disturbing one:

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/707998/Fallout-New-Vegas-The-White-Glove-Society-Mission-Exclusive-Look---Fallouts-Darkest-Quest-Ever.html

no expression

RE: Blaxican
Morgan Webb is hot.

NemeBro
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Morgan Webb is hot. Funnily enough, those were my exact thoughts. Did not even finish the video.

Stoic
I'm playing the P23 version of the game, and it's very nice. Graphics are sharper than Fallout 3, and the controls are better as well. Obsidian delivered on this one.

NemeBro
Have heard it is good. Getting Saturday.

FinalAnswer
There is a black Super Mutant with a perfect black gai's voice.

Because of this, New Vegas > Fallout 3

Stoic
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
There is a black Super Mutant with a perfect black gai's voice.

Because of this, New Vegas > Fallout 3

There's more than that, that makes this a superior game to Fallout 3. Trust me when you play it, you'll see what I mean.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Stoic
There's more than that, that makes this a superior game to Fallout 3. Trust me when you play it, you'll see what I mean.

I have played it =|

Also, Vanilla Ice as one of the Character Creation Presets FTW

Cyner
Fallout 2 > all

Just reminding you.

FinalAnswer
Only due to Frank Horrigan's manly voice.

Stoic
I have played it =|

Also, Vanilla Ice as one of the Character Creation Presets FTW

That's funny lol.

Originally posted by Cyner
Fallout 2 > all

Just reminding you.

Fallout 2 was very cool at the time I'll give it to you there. You know what would make an excellent game to remake? Arcanum Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. That game IMO was even better than Fallout 1 or 2.

dadudemon
I wanna get this game.

I didn't get to finish fallout because someone gave it to blockbuster. sad

Nephthys
The ending to 3 was shit anyway. If thats what you're talking about then you're not missing much.

'Hurp a durp no Nephthys I don't feel like going in the radiation tube even though I'm immune and it'll kill you if you go. Durr I'm just a dick like taht. lol have fun!'

Stupid sexy bastard. uhuh

Mister Retsim
I'm glad the series went back to the original developers. Fallout 3 was good but not even in the same realm of brilliance as the first two in the series. I also heard that a lot of what Black Isle envisioned for Fallout 3 before it got cancelled made it into this game.

Morridini
Originally posted by Nephthys
The ending to 3 was shit anyway. If thats what you're talking about then you're not missing much.

'Hurp a durp no Nephthys I don't feel like going in the radiation tube even though I'm immune and it'll kill you if you go. Durr I'm just a dick like taht. lol have fun!'

Stupid sexy bastard. uhuh

At least they patched it later so they wouldn't refuse anymore.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Mister Retsim
I'm glad the series went back to the original developers. Fallout 3 was good but not even in the same realm of brilliance as the first two in the series. I also heard that a lot of what Black Isle envisioned for Fallout 3 before it got cancelled made it into this game.

That's strange because New Vegas is extremely similar to Fallout 3. Almost identical aside from a few new features and quest/storylines.

Mister Retsim
Really? How do the storylines compare? Fallout 1 and 2 had some of the best CRPG stories ever, whereas Fallout 3 was pretty lacking in that regard, placing an emphasis instead on exploration and choice, and essentially creating this huge sandbox type environment.

Smasandian
Well, I know your not going to respond so yeah, wasn't talking about the first two games.

EDIT: What does it mean to be a sock? Just curious.

NemeBro
Well, I know your not going to respond so yeah, wasn't talking about the first two games.

EDIT: What does it mean to be a sock? Just curious. Creating more than one account, I am pretty sure this particular one is a formerly banned member.

jinXed by JaNx
After installing this piece of shit to my hard drive it still insisted on crashing. After crashing five times within in an hour and then, suddenly, telling me that i couldn't save because the DLC couldn't be read i returned this game to Gamestop. Publishers should really start giving their developers time to actually finish games because it's become an inexscusable trend for developers to release unfinished games that rely on patches upon release that fix game breaking bugs.

NemeBro
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Smasandian
Originally posted by NemeBro
Creating more than one account, I am pretty sure this particular one is a formerly banned member.

Ahhh I see.

Thanks dude.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
After installing this piece of shit to my hard drive it still insisted on crashing. After crashing five times within in an hour and then, suddenly, telling me that i couldn't save because the DLC couldn't be read i returned this game to Gamestop. Publishers should really start giving their developers time to actually finish games because it's become an inexscusable trend for developers to release unfinished games that rely on patches upon release that fix game breaking bugs.

You'd think they would have learned from Fallout 3, but nope...

Stoic
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx

Really? That's odd because, Gamespot rated the PC version higher than it did the console versions. I'm playing it on the PS3, and I like it. It's very similar to parts 1, 2 and 3.

On a side note, anyone playing this game should heed my advice; save before every confrontation, or you may find yourself vilified by faction after faction. I didn't do this and had to reload my last save posisition from an hour earlier.

Smasandian
I haven't had any major problems with the PC version except for the save bug issue that I think is involved with the Steam Cloud.

FinalAnswer
Set off a glitch so that now I can't enter The Strip through the Freeside entrance without getting my game frozen.

Lol.

Stoic
Set off a glitch so that now I can't enter The Strip through the Freeside entrance without getting my game frozen.

Lol.

Wow that sucks, is there a patch for it?

This chick that I met, wants me to risk my life to get her a Deathclaw egg, so that she can make a Deathclaw omelet... lol.

FinalAnswer
Wow that sucks, is there a patch for it?

Naw, not yet, though they're apparently working on it

NemeBro
Just got done playing. Enjoying it so far.

Do you only get perks every other level now or something? Did not get one at level three. =(

FinalAnswer
Yeah, every other level

Kinda ghey

Morridini
So I was level 4, down at Mojave Outpost, and decided to go see what was down south. Strolling around, with full health and no crippled body parts, I see the tail of something around the turn, VATS identified it as a Nightstalker. I decjded to get closer to see what it was, and saw that It was oh just a dog, with a kind of mutated face. Then all of a sudden it spotted me, and started rushing me, and behind it came 5 other Nightstalkers that had been out of sight-

I didn't get worried and lined up a perfect headshot. My best weapon, with a perfect headshot, did exectly two points of damage. Then before I could reconsider what to do, the first one was on me (they ran fast). It jumped me, criplled my chest and took 40% of my health in one hit, and also knocking me back. Before I got a chance to do anything, I was looking at the death screen animation filled with Nightstalkers jumping my corpse....

In other words, pack of Nightstalkers beat Deathclaws hands down.

dadudemon
So I was level 4, down at Mojave Outpost, and decided to go see what was down south. Strolling around, with full health and no crippled body parts, I see the tail of something around the turn, VATS identified it as a Nightstalker. I decjded to get closer to see what it was, and saw that It was oh just a dog, with a kind of mutated face. Then all of a sudden it spotted me, and started rushing me, and behind it came 5 other Nightstalkers that had been out of sight-

I didn't get worried and lined up a perfect headshot. My best weapon, with a perfect headshot, did exectly two points of damage. Then before I could reconsider what to do, the first one was on me (they ran fast). It jumped me, criplled my chest and took 40% of my health in one hit, and also knocking me back. Before I got a chance to do anything, I was looking at the death screen animation filled with Nightstalkers jumping my corpse....

Yeah, level 4...not a good option for nightstalkers. You also need something much more powerful to take down a pack.

Smasandian
Nightstalkers are weak after a few levels. They're fast but one shot will kill them. I uses VATS on them to make it much easier.

If you towards New Vegas after Goodsprings, you hit a bunch of death claws and they **** you up hardcore.

Surprisingly, I'm having a huge problem with rad scorpions for some reason and I'm playing on very easy. Great game though.

FinalAnswer
I'm just going to go point out Lily > All other allies in any Fallout game ever.

Period.

Stoic

Lol... man that totally sux.

Stoic
eek! I just stole like over 10 grand worth of hardware and walked out like it was nothing.

Stoic
Nightstalkers are weak after a few levels. They're fast but one shot will kill them. I uses VATS on them to make it much easier.

If you towards New Vegas after Goodsprings, you hit a bunch of death claws and they **** you up hardcore.

Surprisingly, I'm having a huge problem with rad scorpions for some reason and I'm playing on very easy. Great game though.

With the sniper rifle I took down an entire pack of Deathclaws before they even knew what was killing them.... I love this weapon.

NemeBro
On hard a Nightstalker took out half my health with one attack when I was level 14. Hate them already.

Smasandian
I don't have a proble with Nightstalkers.

Those damn flies I have a problem with. They're relentless.

NemeBro
I HATE them so much.

Wei Phoenix
eek! I just stole like over 10 grand worth of hardware and walked out like it was nothing.

Van Graff's shop?

Wei Phoenix

Aiming for the tail?

Stoic
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Van Graff's shop?

Yup! Just carry the weapons to the bathroom, stoop down and pick them up. I was like, this is so cool! I really needed the cash too, so it helped.

Morridini
I read somewhere on the Gamespot forums that someone claimed that negative reputation is reset when you first come to New Vegas, is this true? Can I screw over Legion now by helping NCR and still return to quest for Caesar later?

Stoic
I read somewhere on the Gamespot forums that someone claimed that negative reputation is reset when you first come to New Vegas, is this true? Can I screw over Legion now by helping NCR and still return to quest for Caesar later?

Not too sure about that, but it's a little too late for that in my game... Caesar's taking a dirt nap.

Thunder Fox

Surprisingly, I'm having a huge problem with rad scorpions for some reason and I'm playing on very easy. Great game though. Rad scorpions are armored and require a strong Damage or AP rounds

I read somewhere on the Gamespot forums that someone claimed that negative reputation is reset when you first come to New Vegas, is this true? Can I screw over Legion now by helping NCR and still return to quest for Caesar later? when you go and talk to Mr. House when you walk out Ceasers spy says your crimes are appealed and youneed to speak with him same goes for NCR

NemeBro
Oh Baby, the Super Sledge you get from Charleton Cave, has made this game so easy. no expression

Gonna bump the difficulty up to Very Hard next time I play.

FinalAnswer
Lol

Oh, Baby is pretty broken no expression

Phanteros
Nightstalkers are just like cliff racers. ****ing annoying

NemeBro
Cliff Racers were possibly the most annoying enemy I can recall.

Kind of unsure whether to kill Benny or not.

Stoic
Originally posted by NemeBro
Cliff Racers were possibly the most annoying enemy I can recall.

Kind of unsure whether to kill Benny or not.

Don't kill him right away, let him loose and you'll get extra karma points then speak to him again before he leaves the tent, tell him that you're going to kill him and blow his head off. That's what I did, he double crossed me one time too many. The gauss rifle is sweet, I took his head off with one good shot.

Stoic
My game just glitched up, Ede disappeared, but it still shows that he's with me. I went into a vault, and it took off to kill some giant mantis', it lost the fight and was KO'd so when I ran around the corner to finish up the fight, I couldn't find Ede anywhere. I guess I'll have to begin a new game, because now I can't recruit anymore NPC characters on account of Ede's invisible status. Why didn't they iron out all of the bugs and release this at Christmas? I could cope with the random freezes (well not so much) but this is ridiculous.

FinalAnswer
Did you try fast travelling?

That usually brings along your companions, regardless of location

Smasandian
Are you sure he isn't back at his original spot?

Bloinky
Surprisingly I already beat this game and I didn't run into a single Night Stalker or Deathclaw.

Stoic
Originally posted by Bloinky
Surprisingly I already beat this game and I didn't run into a single Night Stalker or Deathclaw.

Then you really didn't play it. To really finish the game is to play all of the side quests.

You know what I find very odd about this game? Why did they decide to go with one of the worst eras of music? I mean in the year 2055 and further into the future, even the music of today would be classic. If it were me I would have gone with arguably the best era of music. The 70's, and maybe the 90's.

Stoic
Did you try fast travelling?

That usually brings along your companions, regardless of location

Yep he's gone.

Are you sure he isn't back at his original spot?

Yep he's with me, I just can't see him, nor does he react or play his usual nutty battle music. i even have his perk. So I have a choice, grin and bear it, or restart the game... lol.

Smasandian
Can you try to talk to him so you can get him to stop following you?

Bloinky
Then you really didn't play it. To really finish the game is to play all of the side quests.

You know what I find very odd about this game? Why did they decide to go with one of the worst eras of music? I mean in the year 2055 and further into the future, even the music of today would be classic. If it were me I would have gone with arguably the best era of music. The 70's, and maybe the 90's.

Yeah well I'm going through the game a second time for the hardcore achievement and I heard walking is better for your character then to fast travel so who knows I'll run into them.......I just don't want to die from a pack of mutated flies......

I guess it just fits more because of the cars and the buildings look retro still plus its Vegas so its suits everything in the game........

NemeBro

You know what I find very odd about this game? Why did they decide to go with one of the worst eras of music? I mean in the year 2055 and further into the future, even the music of today would be classic. If it were me I would have gone with arguably the best era of music. The 70's, and maybe the 90's. The 70s and 90s as we know them did not exist in the Falloutverse, Falloutverse diverged from our timeline in the 50s (Technically it was never the same but whateverz).

Also, Big Iron is an awesome song sir.

FinalAnswer

What NemeBro said, those years are non-existent in Fallout, apparently diverting anywhere from between 1945 and 1961, where the timeline kept the same 50's attitude and theme (The World of Tomorrow). Also, the 70's and 90's music doesn't fit the Fallout theme anyway.

Also, your face is wrong, Butcher Pete > Any and every 70's and 90's song ever

NemeBro
Also, your face is wrong, Butcher Pete > Any and every 70's and 90's song ever No.

FinalAnswer
A song about a serial rapist ****ing everything was played on the radio

That means >

Stoic

That means >

All serial rapists should be @$$ Fu@**d with a 3 foot pole (no grease included), and then castrated, and then have their hands cut off, and then hanged, and then burned.

You're right about the story being set in that era, and how it had to be done with that music, but I wish that I could be listening to Smoke on the Water, while blowing someones head off, or Rusty Cage as a Deathclaw bears down on my character, only to lose his arm as I get in the last slice with my chainsaw. Like I said even todays music would be retro in the year 2055 and beyond. I have an idea evil face

Stoic
Can you try to talk to him so you can get him to stop following you?

Ha ha ha... bro he's not there, but he is... Lol, seriously in my game Ede is like the air that I breathe, and to make matters worse, he's carrying some of the best shyt in the game. The little nerd ripped me off!

Nephthys

That means >

Is that what that songs about? I always thought he was a serial killer and all the sexual puns were just to make it more disturbing.

Bloinky
So is it just me or is no body else finding hardcore mode not really difficult of challenging at all?

FinalAnswer
All serial rapists should be @$$ Fu@**d with a 3 foot pole (no grease included), and then castrated, and then have their hands cut off, and then hanged, and then burned.

You're right about the story being set in that era, and how it had to be done with that music, but I wish that I could be listening to Smoke on the Water, while blowing someones head off, or Rusty Cage as a Deathclaw bears down on my character, only to lose his arm as I get in the last slice with my chainsaw. Like I said even todays music would be retro in the year 2055 and beyond. I have an idea evil face

Kay. Doesn't make the feat of getting a song on the subject onto the radio any less awesome.

Just play the music you want on the stereo, works for meh. Though, even if it was retro, it still would not fit the "World of Tomorrow" mindset that's in Fallout. But waffles.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Nephthys
Is that what that songs about? I always thought he was a serial killer and all the sexual puns were just to make it more disturbing.

Butcher Pete has a dual meaning, one is he is a serial killer, the other a serial rapist. Arguably, could be both.

Nemesis X
Victor's stalking me which brings me to nicknaming him Stalker Vic. Wish he would cut that out and just tell me he wants to be my companion.

NemeBro
Victor does not become a companion.

Black bolt z
Would anyone here be able to help me with a crash problem? Or wrong forum?

s0uljaBoYtellEM
man i chIll ih up in VEGAS boi i got hos and shi what da **** is fallout

FinalAnswer
wut

Zack Fair
http://www.pollexworld.com/images/fark/beeker-what-is-this-i-dont-even.png

dadudemon
Originally posted by Black bolt z
Would anyone here be able to help me with a crash problem? Or wrong forum?

Sure.

If it's about fallout new vegas...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.