Inception

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes

BruceSkywalker
I will see this because I am a huge fan of Nolan and I like Marion Cotillard

strongmind
waiting for it. like his movie batman!!!!

omgchos
out of the listed cast, I'm only exited about murphy.

Kovacs86
You don't rate Di Caprio or Cotillard? They're both pretty great...

SnakeEyes

MildPossession
Tom Hardy has got me there, fantastic actor. Marion Cotillard is also amazing, fair enough if the poster above doesn't like her but if it's because you think her acting isn't good then that's just stupid, she can act, just need to see La Vie en Rose for that.

BruceSkywalker

BruceSkywalker
1st Teaser

WhoopeeDee
Rumors are this movie will be a cross between The Game and The Matrix...if so...Nolan is the man to do such a feat!

Kovacs86
Anything along those with Nolan involved sounds wonderful. I have no doubt that this film will surpass both. If Jonah Nolan's doing the script, then it'll surely have dialogue better than the Matrix's, which I found pretty awful last time I watched it.

dadudemon
Indeed. Sounds like a Matrix and The Cell hybrid.

H. S. 6
Between the cast and the teaser, I'm pretty excited for this.

MildPossession
It doesn't remind me of The Matrix at all except for the scene with the two guys falling around in an upside down looking corridoor, thought it looked excellent in the teaser.

Fantastic FANTASTIC cast, this is a big one for me to see.

Ms.Marvel

SnakeEyes
Because it's Nolan, it's not an adaptation or a remake, the cast is great and I love sci-fi. At this point, that's all I need to know.

Ms.Marvel
ah. id disagree beause i fid nolan to be very hit and miss but meh.

MildPossession
I enjoy all his films, even his remake.

SnakeEyes
He did a remake?

If my memory serves, his filmography is: Following, Memento, Insomnia, Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight and now Inception. Is one of these a remake?

Anyway, I didn't dig Following or Insomnia that much, but the others are freaking great.

MildPossession
Insomnia is a remake of a very good film of the same name from Norway:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119375/

SnakeEyes
Interesting, didn't know that. Might check it out.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by MildPossession
Insomnia is a remake of a very good film of the same name from Norway:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119375/

i like Nolan's version better, but the norwegian version is good too

MildPossession
Nolan's is a good attempt but I prefer the original. Do try to see it SnakeEyes.

BruceSkywalker
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7855/inception.jpg

T.M
This does look interesting. That poster though looks familiar. Pretty sure there was a poster for The Dark Knight that looked almost identical.

SnakeEyes
Yeah, people have been mentioning that on other sites.

BruceSkywalker
2nd poster...

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6971/incep.jpg

Shey Tapani
I love the picture.

Weltall
Really looking forward to this film. Memento and The Prestige are my two favorite films of all time so hopefully Christopher Nolan will be able to produce similar results with Inception.

Serge
So apparently Inception delivers a "high-octane, surreal" experience and delves into dream psychoanalysis and the fabric of the human mind, is almost Lynchian in structure and content (David Lynch being my second favorite film maker after Nolan himself), and according to Nolan is the biggest film he's ever been involved with, and explores ideas in "four different dimensions"...

In other words this is going to be SICK

I can't remember being this anticipated for a film.

Serge
Apparently nobody but Nolan himself was able to make sense of the plot while making it either, so it really does seem like it's going to be a David Lynch kind of film.

MildPossession
He is one who is good for messing with heads. Memento, and The Prestige. He is perfect for it.

SnakeEyes
He sure is. I was hanging out with my friends a while ago and they saw the Inception trailer for the first time. I had seen it already online and I told them after the trailer finished that this was going to be my favorite movie of 2010. I stand by that statement. Something could surprise me and come out of left field, but so far, this is looking like the best thing '10 has to offer. I'm still pumped!

T.M
New poster.

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/9118/41426.jpg

I cant wait.

Won Fei Fon
My only problem with it is why it says "FROM THE DIRECTOR OF THE DARK KNIGHT" and not "FROM THE DIRECTOR OF THE PRESTIGE AND MEMENTO"... otherwise awesome poster. big grin

SnakeEyes
Well, DUH. The Dark Knight is Nolan's highest grossing and most well-known/popular film to the general public. Makes complete sense from a marketing perspective.

MildPossession
Urgh, the cast, just look at it, fantastic.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by T.M
New poster.

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/9118/41426.jpg

I cant wait.

can't wait to see this

T.M
Another new poster.

http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/original/41600.jpg

Still looks amazing.

SnakeEyes
Saw the new trailer when I went to see Iron Man 2 last night; just about jizzed my pants. This looks incredible.

MildPossession
Is there a link to the new trailer, or is the one you saw the one where Ellen Page is shouting "wake me up, wake me up" at the end of the trailer?

SnakeEyes
There's a "game" on the Inception website http://www.mind-crime.com/ in which you can find the new trailer, but as far as I can tell, it's not embedded anywhere online yet.

Anyway, I don't know if Ellen Page says that or not at the end, I don't think so, but it's hard to recall, I was too busy cleaning the mess in my pants, lol. Okay, enough orgasm analogies.

SnakeEyes
Link to download the new trailer - rapidshare.com/files/384772868/Inception_Trailer_3_SD.mp4

Scythe
Easily be missing this.

Ms.Marvel
looks boring

SnakeEyes
Wow... I need to find myself a better movie forum.

Ms.Marvel
or... you can stop riding nolans nuts

joking aside i agree with you though. you should find a forum dedicated specifically to this movie. that way you can join in with a whole bunch of other elitists who also share your love for the movie, and you guys can masturbate to it en mass! =D

its all you snakeeys!

BruceSkywalker
saw the new trailer earlier during Iron Man 2, this looks really good and look forward to seeing it

MildPossession
The new trailer is now up on youtube for those who don't want to download it.

With lovely TOM HARDY right at the end. YUM.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel

joking aside i agree with you though. you should find a forum dedicated specifically to this movie. that way you can join in with a whole bunch of other elitists who also share your love for the movie, and you guys can masturbate to it en mass! =D

its all you snakeeys!

No, no, no, I'm afraid you misunderstood. I didn't mean to imply that I want to find a new forum dedicated to Nolan or this movie, that would be way too narrow; my sarcastic remark simply meant that I should find a new forum in which peoples' analysis of a kickass film trailer consists of something more than "looks boring." Sorry, I just yearn for people to discuss and get excited for something other than the Twilight saga, Harry Potter and G.I. Joe.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Sorry, I just yearn for people to discuss and get excited for something other than the Twilight saga, Harry Potter and G.I. Joe. http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie-gallery/albums/userpics//poster_black_dynamite_ver3.jpg

Didn't exactly see you campaigning.

Ms.Marvel
No, no, no, I'm afraid you misunderstood. I didn't mean to imply that I want to find a new forum dedicated to Nolan or this movie, that would be way too narrow; my sarcastic remark simply meant that I should find a new forum in which peoples' analysis of a kickass film trailer consists of something more than "looks boring." Sorry, I just yearn for people to discuss and get excited for something other than the Twilight saga, Harry Potter and G.I. Joe.

im messing with you babe stick out tongue

Robtard

With lovely TOM HARDY right at the end. YUM.

This does it for you?

http://movieoverdose.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/bronson.jpg

MildPossession
I don't like moustaches or shitty heart symbol tattoos, so no. stick out tongue

shugie99
I am really looking forward to hearing the early reviews...hoping those come out soon.

Darth Martin
This looks like it will be awesome. I plan to see this? Thought it came out today. Guess it's more like a month from now. That's a relief.

MildPossession
It's out next month on the 16th.

kill7r
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel

its all you snakeeys!

big grin

marwash22
This is probably gonna be like '7 pounds', no one will go see it 'cause no one knows what it's about.

Robtard
The trailer gives you a fairly good explanation what it's about.

marwash22
To you and me, perhaps.

But the general public that made 'Avatar' and 'TDK' the biggest movies ever, may be a little hesitant. I mean, i have a clue what it's about, but the trailer doesn't exactly paint a clear picture. Maybe curiosity will trump confusion.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by marwash22
To you and me, perhaps.

But the general public that made 'Avatar' and 'TDK' the biggest movies ever, may be a little hesitant. I mean, i have a clue what it's about, but the trailer doesn't exactly paint a clear picture. Maybe curiosity will trump confusion.

looking at the trailer , i can tell what this about but i'm gonna wait and see and judge in a few weeks

also people will see this because this is Christopher Nolan's next film prior to him starting on Batman 3

MildPossession
Marwash - the trailers give more than enough information for an idea of what the film is going to be about, frankly, it's nice to see a trailer that doesn't give a lot away to the audience.

And the name NOLAN on the trailers will get a lot of people to the cinema to see it. Especially now after Dark Knight. And Leonardo DiCaprio in it will get people in too.

It's not going to have a problem.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I will see this because I am a huge fan of Nolan and I like Marion Cotillard

Yeah thats also why I cant wait till this movie comes out shortly because I am a huge fan of Nolan as well.Dont know who Cotillard is but from the trailers it looks like a great film even with Leo in it whom I dont like.

MildPossession
Cotillard played Edith Piaf in La Vie En Rose, she was amazing as the singer, but the film was all over the place. Also in the Taxi films, Nine and Innocence. Good actress, but I think she only has a small part in Inception.

Mr Parker
the movie NINE is out on DVD now and I have been wanting to see it for a while so I will probably rent that movie soon and watch for her.

MildPossession
Nine was very very disappointing for me. Songs were terrible.

Mr Parker
Yeah I saw the play a couple years ago and wasnt all that impressed with it.Nothing great but nothing terrible either.thats why I wasnt so anxious to see it when it came out.Meant to but never got around to it.Oh and just so you know,the songs in Footloose arent terrible,their all great which is what really makes the film fun to watch.Plus Kevin Bacon gives an awesome performance as well.

MildPossession
Fergie's song in Nine is the only good song. Footloose, NEVER. stick out tongue

SnakeEyes
This movie's getting fan-freaking-tastic early reviews. I bought my IMAX midnight showing ticket. Cannot wait.

Member.
Rave reviews, 25 of them! That's pretty insane. Can't wait for it to come out.

And I get to watch it for free, awesome.

Monolith Soft
Seriously cannot wait for this. Based on the reviews its been getting and the way it's being described I think it could even be on par with The Prestige and Memento.

MildPossession
Even better than those two going by the reviews I've read. By miles.

Monolith Soft
Wow really? Memento and The Prestige are my two favorite films of all time so if it really is better than them then I am seriously stoked. It'll be awesome if it is but I just can't imagine it being better than those two.

K.Diddy
Nine was very very disappointing for me. Songs were terrible.

beer That ''be italian'' one was kind of catchy,but still sucked,girls in it were hot though

MildPossession
That's the one I mentioned yes, I thought it was good, shame about the rest.

Stall_19
It's been awhile since I've been more excited for a non comic/sequel movie in awhile. It's reviews have been fantastic. Friday cannot get here soon enough.

SnakeEyes
I can't wait to tell all the naysayers to go **** themselves! smile

Placidity
Mmmm

Saw the trailer for this a while ago. Looked decent, and I've always thought Leonardo was quite a talent.

I recently checked imdb, and its rated 9.5 stars. I know its not very accurate, but for me its mostly been right.

I look forward to this. Even though I haven't seen it I hope Nolan and Leonardo score big, they've had it coming.

MildPossession
Don't be so full of yourself. I saw it today and it's incredibly hyped up, it's quite forgettable actually. Don't know what happened with Nolan here.

I mean just kidding .

SnakeEyes
Quite forgettable? I find that hard to believe. I'm seeing it tonight so I'll certainly post some thoughts.

MildPossession
... Please tell me you saw the spoiler. stick out tongue

Robtard
Seeing it tomorrow, film looks dope.

T.M

You tease.

Hopefully be seeing it over the weekend.

SnakeEyes

Hell no! I will highlight NO spoiler about this film until I've seen it!

MildPossession
You should highlight it. stick out tongue

K.Diddy
I'm seeing it tonight so I'll certainly post some thoughts.

beer Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

allofyousuckkk
It was great.. a little too complicated and I think there were plot holes that made it so...

There were times when I had to stop and explain the movie to myself... but as you watch, the entire movie seems like one longggg dream, you cant remember how you got from place to place. 8/10

dadudemon
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
It was great.. a little too complicated and I think there were plot holes that made it so...

I read that the plot is hard to describe but it is easy to follow.

I look forward to this fizzilm.

MildPossession
One newspaper I got today gave it 4 out of 5 and that critic is very very hard to please. He said it was the most complicated blockbuster ever.

SnakeEyes
You should highlight it. stick out tongue

You're mean!

Anyway, went to the midnight showing last night. And... I loved it! It certainly met my maybe too-high expectations. Definitely one of Nolan's best. I love that he's one of the few directors out there who actually makes intellectually engaging big-budgeted blockbusters.

Anyway, this is one of the most unique films I can think of, the only other film it reminded me of (besides Nolan's other films) was The Matrix; and personally I thought it was better than The Matrix. Like The Dark Knight, it's a long film (2.5 hours) that moves along at a freight-train pace, if you don't keep up you're going to be left in the dust. There's a lot of exposition setting up the "rules" of dreams, so that might get tiresome for some people, but I was digging it. The concept is just very unique and fresh, it's hard not to be intrigued.

All the performances were great, but for all you Michael Caine fans he's only in the film for a total of like 5 minutes.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was awesome and has one of the most original/badass action sequences we've seen in any movie.

Christopher Nolan has created a world that explores dreams in a new way; but also the dreamer and his or her subconscious.

Drink some coffee, go see this movie, see it again.

9/10

RE: Blaxican
****, I wanna see it now.

dadudemon
You're mean!

Anyway, went to the midnight showing last night. And... I loved it! It certainly met my maybe too-high expectations. Definitely one of Nolan's best. I love that he's one of the few directors out there who actually makes intellectually engaging big-budgeted blockbusters.

Anyway, this is one of the most unique films I can think of, the only other film it reminded me of (besides Nolan's other films) was The Matrix; and personally I thought it was better than The Matrix. Like The Dark Knight, it's a long film (2.5 hours) that moves along at a freight-train pace, if you don't keep up you're going to be left in the dust. There's a lot of exposition setting up the "rules" of dreams, so that might get tiresome for some people, but I was digging it. The concept is just very unique and fresh, it's hard not to be intrigued.

All the performances were great, but for all you Michael Caine fans he's only in the film for a total of like 5 minutes.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was awesome and has one of the most original/badass action sequences we've seen in any movie.

Christopher Nolan has created a world that explores dreams in a new way; but also the dreamer and his or her subconscious.

Drink some coffee, go see this movie, see it again.

9/10

EXCELLENT!

Looks like it's date night with the wife. big grin

Robtard
Definitely a movie I'm going to masturbate first before I go see, want a clear mind to focus on what will be epic movie making.

Tomorrow it is.

Let me come with you; Ill bring Polaski as a peace offering.

jaden101
Well...Just back from seeing this...and what's to say?

1st is to say that I, unlike SnakeEyes, didn't hype myself up for this film. I watched 1 trailer once. I went in knowing the absolute basics that it was a film about Di Caprio's character and his job manipulating dreams in order to get secrets from people.

As for the experience itself. It's astonishing. MildPossession says a reviewer stated it's the most complicated blockbuster ever. It's not complicated to understand as it all unfolds perfectly. There's no real complicated plot twists or things which have to be overly analysed to be understood that are key to "getting" the film.

It's only complex in the execution. The only film I can compare it to in terms of its plot complexity is Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels in that Lock Stock had 4 separate plots which all crossed in the middle. Think of that as like the leaves of a 4 leaf clover...All separate but meeting and crossing in the centre. Inception is different. It has the same multiple plots all working at once but they all involve the same characters at the same time.

The main plot is underpinned by a subplot which also intersect giving Di Caprio's character a motivation for doing what he does as well as consequences for him and his team for how he has worked in the past.

As for the mechanics and details of the plot...It's far too difficult to try and put in in a review as it's written description is actually more confusing that it is to see on screen.

Let me just say this. It's execution makes for one of the most astounding films I have ever seen. The visual interpretation of the dreams and how they can be manipulated is astonishing to watch and the consequences of making them non believable are explained perfectly.

It is the best film I have seen in a long time...Quite possibly up there with the best films I have EVER seen. It also cements Di Caprio as quite possibly the finest actor working today. While his performance isn't anywhere near the raw power of his portrayal in Shutter Island it is far above anyone else's work we see on screen today.

I cannot recommend this film highly enough. It gives Nolan a work to be proud of that should eclipse anything he has done previously but because the vast majority of people are complete ****ing idiots, The Dark Shite will still be regarded by many as his best. Fact remains, though, that this film blows it clean out the water both as a work of entertainment and art.

Go see it...No excuses.

10/10...Brilliant.

Robtard
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Let me come with you; Ill bring Polaski as a peace offering.

Done. Tell her I'll bring the lube.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
(Edited to save eSpace)

10/10...Brilliant.

That's for the in-depth post, just makes me want to see it more. First movie I've been excited about and will likely live up to the expectations in a very long time.

If it's not 10/10, I'm flying over to Scotland and shanking you.

dadudemon
Originally posted by jaden101
Well...Just back from seeing this...and what's to say?

1st is to say that I, unlike SnakeEyes, didn't hype myself up for this film. I watched 1 trailer once. I went in knowing the absolute basics that it was a film about Di Caprio's character and his job manipulating dreams in order to get secrets from people.

As for the experience itself. It's astonishing. MildPossession says a reviewer stated it's the most complicated blockbuster ever. It's not complicated to understand as it all unfolds perfectly. There's no real complicated plot twists or things which have to be overly analysed to be understood that are key to "getting" the film.

It's only complex in the execution. The only film I can compare it to in terms of its plot complexity is Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels in that Lock Stock had 4 separate plots which all crossed in the middle. Think of that as like the leaves of a 4 leaf clover...All separate but meeting and crossing in the centre. Inception is different. It has the same multiple plots all working at once but they all involve the same characters at the same time.

The main plot is underpinned by a subplot which also intersect giving Di Caprio's character a motivation for doing what he does as well as consequences for him and his team for how he has worked in the past.

As for the mechanics and details of the plot...It's far too difficult to try and put in in a review as it's written description is actually more confusing that it is to see on screen.

Let me just say this. It's execution makes for one of the most astounding films I have ever seen. The visual interpretation of the dreams and how they can be manipulated is astonishing to watch and the consequences of making them non believable are explained perfectly.

It is the best film I have seen in a long time...Quite possibly up there with the best films I have EVER seen. It also cements Di Caprio as quite possibly the finest actor working today. While his performance isn't anywhere near the raw power of his portrayal in Shutter Island it is far above anyone else's work we see on screen today.

I cannot recommend this film highly enough. It gives Nolan a work to be proud of that should eclipse anything he has done previously but because the vast majority of people are complete ****ing idiots, The Dark Shite will still be regarded by many as his best. Fact remains, though, that this film blows it clean out the water both as a work of entertainment and art.

Go see it...No excuses.

10/10...Brilliant.

*Gets a b0n3r.*

jaden101
Originally posted by Robtard
That's for the in-depth post, just makes me want to see it more. First movie I've been excited about and will likely live up to the expectations in a very long time.

If it's not 10/10, I'm flying over to Scotland and shanking you.

I'd typed out an entire explanation of the plot but It's more difficult to understand written down than it is to watch.

I'm not saying it's an easy film to keep up with. You will need to concentrate to follow parts of it.

Not a major plot point below but rather a spoiler of how the concept works with an example from the film

The only complicated part to understand is that while Ellen Page's character creates the dream world...The buildings, streets etc. And the mark (Cillian Murphy) fills that world with their sub-conscious. The rest of the team members can also add to the dream world with their sub-conscious and that, if witnessed by the mark, can cause the people in the dream world (that are projections of the mark's subconscious) start to look for the person who is causing the disturbances happening.

It also seems that every detail is dictated by someone. In one part in the dream world it is pissing down with rain which is apparently because Yusuf's sub-conscsious is projecting the fact that he forgot to go for a piss before they entered the dream.

Ellen Page's character says it best with a quote from while they are in a dream..."Wait...Who's sub-conscious are we in now?"

MildPossession
Is that the scene where it has spinning corridoors and so on.

SnakeEyes
Yep.

ares834
Just saw it. Great movie!

Is that the scene where it has spinning corridoors and so on.
That was so awesome!

marwash22
this movie sucked. Seriously, i don't know what the hell you people are smoking. kidding. This was probably the best movie I've seen in the last decade or so... that's perhaps me being a prisoner of the moment, but it really is THAT good. I'd put it above TDK, but only because of the originality of the concept. Joseph Gordon is an underrated actor, he kinda stole the show for me.

Movie was ****ing dope. Oh my god... I can't even talk about it right now lol.

The hype from it all will wear off tomorrow so I'll be able to comment on it more then...

Stall_19
Inception is amazing! Such a smart, complex, well crafted film. Nolan is the man! I might see tomorrow just to understand it better. Nolan better win an Oscar for writing this masterpiece.

Mark Question
Bout to go check it out, sounds like i'm in for a great ride.

mrblue
very interesting movie.

Myth
Amazing movie. Especially loved the very ending.

I have one confusion: Why is Ken Watanabe old when Dicaprio is still young in that deepest level of the dream? Is it because Ken died in one dream, thus went into Limbo where time is going by faster, so that by the time Dicaprio made it to that level Ken has aged 50 years? Do I have that right, or is it something else?

Stall_19
Originally posted by Myth

I have one confusion: Why is Ken Watanabe old when Dicaprio is still young in that deepest level of the dream? Is it because Ken died in one dream, thus went into Limbo where time is going by faster, so that by the time Dicaprio made it to that level Ken has aged 50 years? Do I have that right, or is it something else?

That could be the reason. Although that doesn't explain how Dicaprio's character told the projection of his wife that they did grow old together in limbo but when they killed themselves to escape limbo they were young again. One oversight in a great movie though.

T.M
Just saw it amazing movie. Nolan is officially my favourite director working today.

Robtard
Amazing movie. Especially loved the very ending.

Originally posted by Stall_19
That could be the reason. Although that doesn't explain how Dicaprio's character told the projection of his wife that they did grow old together in limbo but when they killed themselves to escape limbo they were young again. One oversight in a great movie though.

(to those that have not seen the film, please do not read, film is epic; you don't want to potentially ruin it for yourself)

It was supposed to be because Watanabe died and those few minutes he was dead on level 2-3, transferred to decades in level 4, at least how it seemed to work to me. Not 100% certain though.

But here's the kicker, it was all a dream of Leonardo's, the whole film, a dream, within a dream, within a dream etc. If you remember, his children at the end, were wearing the same cloth as his memory of when he had to flee and last saw them.

Instead of listening to the sensible/truth part of his conscious (depicted as his wife), he simply chose to keep going deeper and deeper within himself and fabricated more and more elaborate dreams/worlds. At least what I took from it.

Myth
(to those that have not seen the film, please do not read, film is epic; you don't want to potentially ruin it for yourself)

It was supposed to be because Watanabe died and those few minutes he was dead on level 2-3, transferred to decades in level 4, at least how it seemed to work to me. Not 100% certain though.

But here's the kicker, it was all a dream of Leonardo's, the whole film, a dream, within a dream, within a dream etc. If you remember, his children at the end, were wearing the same cloth as his memory of when he had to flee and last saw them.

Instead of listening to the sensible/truth part of his conscious (depicted as his wife), he simply chose to keep going deeper and deeper within himself and fabricated more and more elaborate dreams/worlds. At least what I took from it.

Ok, that is what I thought.

Myth
Another thing I noticed: This isn't definitive proof, but Ken Watanabe told Dicaprio to "take a leap of faith" when he was proposing the job offer, just as his wife asked him to take a leap of faith before she killed herself. I interpret this as Ken Watanabe being a projection of Dicaprio because the same phrase was kind of a theme, which would make sense if it was all within Dicaprio's dream.

ares834

I was under the impression the ending was meant to be ambigious hence why they show the top wobbling but not show it fall. Although you do bring up a good point about the kids and their clothes

Myth
Originally posted by ares834
I was under the impression the ending was meant to be ambigious hence why they show the top wobbling but not show it fall. Although you do bring up a good point about the kids and their clothes

Yeah, I don't think there is a clear answer, and that was intended by Nolan. I do think that the evidence points more towards a dream, but that is just an interpretation. I am very happy that it was left unclear. I felt like if they showed that it was for sure a dream, I would have gone "I knew it all along." But by being unclear it made me question and think about it much more, which just made me enjoy it much more.

Robtard
Originally posted by ares834

That wasn't the only hint, there were several, some which I can't recall, but remember telling myself while watching the films.

Another: He and the wife had grown old in their dream(s), yet when it flashs to when he convinced her to commit suicide with him on the train tracks, so they could leave, they're back to being young.

If I recall the others, I'll post them. Am tempted to see this again in the theater though.

BruceSkywalker
just got back from seeing this..

what a beautiful piece of wondrous art this was...

i love this movie, i'd give a 100/10 if i could, oh wait stick out tongue

i do hope the academy does right by this film which easily is my second fave film of all time

Not a major quirk or anything, but, was anyone else amused by How ****ing dumb the "military" that was trying to protect the dude's dream were? I've seen better AI in video games, lol.

Robtard
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Not a major quirk or anything, but, was anyone else amused by How ****ing dumb the "military" that was trying to protect the dude's dream were? I've seen better AI in video games, lol.

Mark it down to being a reflection of what the guy/his subconscious knew.

Darth Martin
Is it worth seeing in IMAX?

I know the film is excellent but the visuals.........is it worth paying extra?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Darth Martin

yes it is worth seeing on IMAX

shokosugi
OH MY GOD. INCEPTION is MIND BLOWING!

Intelligent. Complex. Thought Provoking. Original. Entertaining. Stunning.

BackFire
Very good movie. Fascinating premise, well acted, extraordinarily well written and tight - I can't imagine the precision and attention to detail that must have been required to write this film.

Mindset
That wasn't the only hint, there were several, some which I can't recall, but remember telling myself while watching the films.

Another: He and the wife had grown old in their dream(s), yet when it flashs to when he convinced her to commit suicide with him on the train tracks, so they could leave, they're back to being young.

If I recall the others, I'll post them. Am tempted to see this again in the theater though. The ending was meant to be ambiguous though, there is no definitive answer, as it should be.

Robtard
Disagree, mostly. If it's not like I said, then there's things that just don't make sense and would equate to sloppy film-making. I don't think Nolan is that kind of director, especailly with the effort he must have put into this script.

This is just my opinion.

shokosugi
Your opinion sucks.

Mindset
What wouldn't make sense?

The last scene was purposefully meant to be ambiguous, if there was a definitive answer, then that would be sloppy.

allofyousuckkk
the reason him and mol are young when they wake up is because only a short amount of time has passed in the real world. It really annoyed me that "limbo" was only four levels down. I understand why it had to be that way, but it's annoying.

after a lot of thinking, i dont think he's dreaming at the end. He definately wasn't dreaming throughout the movie because the top fell over a bunch of times... and he seemed to be able to grasp reality. In fact, he gives an entire monologue at the climax explaining how he knows what reality is. If he were actually dreaming at the end of the film, then it would make the entire movie pointless. He sets out to preform inception because he's done it before.. to Mol. He set a false idea in her mind that grew and eventually made her kill herself

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Darth Martin

See it in IMAX.

Side-note, I just saw this for the second time (this time not in IMAX), still good, but I was approaching the film differently this time. I tried to look for clues, etc. and wrapping my mind around the concepts that I didn't fully grasp the first time around.

Anyway, I think the "it's all a dream" theory is false. I think a more apt theory would be that the last sequence is a dream. Reality is, to me, clearly demonstrated in the film when he spins the totem/top and it falls over. This solidifies at least the beginning portion as reality, right? Anywho, the ending is certainly ambiguous I think, especially considering that we don't know how Leo got out of limbo.

Still, some things were kind of odd, such as Leo being young in limbo and Watanabe being an old man, even though Leo got there first.

Also, someone brought up how we saw a glimpse of old Leo and Marion; I think that was just Leo's perception of them, considering that although they didn't age physically, they did emotionally/intellectually.

One thing that bugged me was that like, the whole first act was all exposition and Ellen Page's character was there simply to provide other actors with a reason to explain everything. It was necessary and done in such a way that it wasn't boring, but still... They set up the rules of dreaming and "kicks," but when shit actually starts going down, the rules aren't applicable anymore (pertaining to limbo, etc. and how to get out of a dream due to sedation)... so I'm not entirely sure it was necessary to go over EVERY rule if they were just going to break a lot of them later on.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Still an excellent film, just not perfect. But what film is?

Mindset
the reason him and mol are young when they wake up is because only a short amount of time has passed in the real world. It really annoyed me that "limbo" was only four levels down. I understand why it had to be that way, but it's annoying.

after a lot of thinking, i dont think he's dreaming at the end. He definately wasn't dreaming throughout the movie because the top fell over a bunch of times... and he seemed to be able to grasp reality. In fact, he gives an entire monologue at the climax explaining how he knows what reality is. If he were actually dreaming at the end of the film, then it would make the entire movie pointless. He sets out to preform inception because he's done it before.. to Mol. He set a false idea in her mind that grew and eventually made her kill herself Well, if he was still dreaming then it wouldn't matter if the top fell or not, because he was dreaming all of the tops actions since it wasn't his totem, but Mol's.

Hope that made since, it's almost 3am.

jaden101
See it in IMAX.

Side-note, I just saw this for the second time (this time not in IMAX), still good, but I was approaching the film differently this time. I tried to look for clues, etc. and wrapping my mind around the concepts that I didn't fully grasp the first time around.

Anyway, I think the "it's all a dream" theory is false. I think a more apt theory would be that the last sequence is a dream. Reality is, to me, clearly demonstrated in the film when he spins the totem/top and it falls over. This solidifies at least the beginning portion as reality, right? Anywho, the ending is certainly ambiguous I think, especially considering that we don't know how Leo got out of limbo.

Still, some things were kind of odd, such as Leo being young in limbo and Watanabe being an old man, even though Leo got there first.

Also, someone brought up how we saw a glimpse of old Leo and Marion; I think that was just Leo's perception of them, considering that although they didn't age physically, they did emotionally/intellectually.

One thing that bugged me was that like, the whole first act was all exposition and Ellen Page's character was there simply to provide other actors with a reason to explain everything. It was necessary and done in such a way that it wasn't boring, but still... They set up the rules of dreaming and "kicks," but when shit actually starts going down, the rules aren't applicable anymore (pertaining to limbo, etc. and how to get out of a dream due to sedation)... so I'm not entirely sure it was necessary to go over EVERY rule if they were just going to break a lot of them later on.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Still an excellent film, just not perfect. But what film is?

To be fair, her character and the questions she asked were more for the benefit of the audience rather than the other characters as most of them had done this all before (including Saito who "auditioned" Cobb at the beginning of the movie to see if he'd be good enough to perform inception)

Spartan005
Just wanted to let everyone know that I spent the last 30 minutes writing my review only to accidentally hit the delete key.

FML.

SnakeEyes
Yeah, that's what I meant; just that her character was a tool to help the audience.

Also, there were a couple things the film didn't touch on that would've been interesting. What exactly is society's knowledge of dreaming/extraction and whatnot? All of the characters in the film were knowledgable of course, but what about common citizens? There was a quick line that referred to extraction as a method created by the military, but they don't show whether or not this whole dream-thieving thing has affected culture/society. Although I guess it must have considering there's apparently a school in Paris that teaches people like Ellen Page's character about it all. Hmm...

Also, I think someone brought this up already, but Cobb's kids at the end were wearing the same clothing as their dream versions; something to consider.

Mindset
Originally posted by Spartan005
Just wanted to let everyone know that I spent the last 30 minutes writing my review only to accidentally hit the delete key.

FML. Why didn't you just crtl+z?

SnakeEyes
One last complaint - the action sequences in the third level dream (in the snow/near the hospital) were pretty standard and average... Not nearly as exciting as the hotel fighting (which there should've been more of) that came before.

shokosugi
It's fin mind blowing. Watch the movie. Don't analyze it.

SnakeEyes
This interview, by the way, clarifies a lot of things: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/07/inceptions_dileep_rao_answers.html

T.M
Interesting points made there.

The Nuul
Originally posted by shokosugi
Watch the movie. Don't analyze it.

This is the best post this member has ever made!

Myth

after a lot of thinking, i dont think he's dreaming at the end. He definately wasn't dreaming throughout the movie because the top fell over a bunch of times... and he seemed to be able to grasp reality.

Did it really? I remember it falling at some point, but I thought the time it showed it fall was in a flash back when they were talking about it. I remember him only spinning it 3 times in the world that may be reality. The 1st one I remember was in the bathroom when Ken Watanabe walks in. Dicaprio accidentally knocked the top to the floor, so we never got to see if finish spinning it that scene. Then later he spins it, but Ellen Page walked in and he grabbed it before it finished because they were talking about their totems. The 3rd time was the time when it cut to the credits. I think the other times may have all been in flashbacks and not actually in that world, but I would love for somebody to keep this in mind if they go back and watch the movie again soon, because I'm not 100% positive on this.

Also, Dicaprio doesn't have a grasp on reality. He questions reality himself, because in the 4th level when he is talking to Mals about everything, she questions his sanity. However, she is just a projection of his own subconscious, thus it is really himself questioning reality.

Seriously though, if somebody re-watches the movie soon, I would really appreciate if you deliberately look at what I'm talking about in the first paragraph and let me know if what I said was accurate.

T.M
I remember it falling once.. I think it was after Leo and Ellen woke up after he was telling her about what they do and she kept changing things, he walked away and spun it on a little table then Josephs character explained what the totems are. I may have got a some scenes mixed together though. I don't think it was a flash back though.

Robtard
Originally posted by shokosugi
Your opinion sucks.

Stupid troll.

Myth
Originally posted by T.M
I remember it falling once.. I think it was after Leo and Ellen woke up after he was telling her about what they do and she kept changing things, he walked away and spun it on a little table then Josephs character explained what the totems are. I may have got a some scenes mixed together though. I don't think it was a flash back though.

I definitely wasn't ruling it out, I was just thinking it would be worth a second look.

T.M
I definitely wasn't ruling it out, I was just thinking it would be worth a second look.

Oh I agree, This movie certainly would benefit from more than one viewing.

shokosugi
i'm going to watch it again tonight.

THIS MOVIE IS INSANE!

ares834
after a lot of thinking, i dont think he's dreaming at the end. He definately wasn't dreaming throughout the movie because the top fell over a bunch of times... and he seemed to be able to grasp reality. In fact, he gives an entire monologue at the climax explaining how he knows what reality is. If he were actually dreaming at the end of the film, then it would make the entire movie pointless. He sets out to preform inception because he's done it before.. to Mol. He set a false idea in her mind that grew and eventually made her kill herself
After thinking about it a bit I don't see how it being set in a dream makes it pointless. In fact this movie questions where dreams end and reality begins. Afterall even if it was a dream and he failed he would still have expeirenced a life time in jail.

WanderingDroid
Saw it on Sunday and here is my review.

5 out of 5.

Stop wasting time Nolan and get to work on Batman 3. kthnxbye.

Mindset
Originally posted by WanderingDroid
Saw it on Sunday and here is my review.

5 out of 5.

Stop wasting time Nolan and get to work on Batman 3. kthnxbye. My thoughts exactly.

Robtard
Speaking of, any word on who is likely to be the villain(s) in the Batman film?

We were basically told at the end of BB it'd be Joker in 2, but no hint at the end of 2.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>