What are this forum's thoughts concerning

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Barringer
Star Wars Technical Commentaries, Curtis Saxton, stardestroyer.net and the so-called "Saxtonites"?

Red Nemesis
I'm a fan of Michael Wong, or would be but for the whole he is a d-bag thing.

Isn't there a larger controversy about the size of the GAR? He attacked Travis, maybe?

Barringer
I'm annoyed by their blatant confirmation bias when it comes to sources. They deride the WEG stuff for using the 8 km SSD length and claim everything needs to "derive from the films", but then they try to force British military ranks and nomenclature on the SW universe despite there not being any grounding in the films. "Star Dreadnoughts"? Leia was just under stress and mistakenly called the Executor a Star Destroyer!

As for Wong and stardestroyer.net, sometimes I agree with the conclusions there, but generally no. They seem rather zealous, and I dislike how they argue stuff like the "Endor holocaust" despite it being depicted as not happening, since it was apparently inevitable according to physics and what have you.

As for the GAR, okay, well, isn't Coruscant unrealistic in terms of the infeasability of feeding its massive population? And the whole carbon cycle and such? Obviously SW doesn't follow realism.

Lord Lucien
I doubt Coruscant produces its own food.

Barringer
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I doubt Coruscant produces its own food.

Yeah but it's still infeasible to ship in a sufficient supply to feed its entire populace daily.

Lord Lucien
Why do you say that?

Barringer
Why do you say that?

Darths & Droids says so.

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0126.html

Lord Lucien
I'm having difficulty believing that's canon.

There are like what, a trillion people on the planet? Personally I think it's more. But a millions of freighters isn't exactly a gargantuan impossible number to a planet-wide city. There are 100s of millions of vehicles on our own roads, and we don't have the luxury of repulsorlifts.

Barringer
I'm having difficulty believing that's canon.

There are like what, a trillion people on the planet? Personally I think it's more. But a millions of freighters isn't exactly a gargantuan impossible number to a planet-wide city. There are 100s of millions of vehicles on our own roads, and we don't have the luxury of repulsorlifts.

Maybe so, but it seems prohibitively expensive. Consider also that during the five day battle over Coruscant during the Clone Wars, or any other military blockade, the food wouldn't be shipped in. Also the energy demands of a worldwide city. Or the carbon cycle so that CO2 is converted back into O2.

My point in mentioning it is simply that there are elements to Star Wars that are contrary to real world physics or other fields of science. Look at hyperspace or lightsabers. So their methodology or belief that everything MUST follow science, and those that disagree with them are idiots, is annoying, IMO.

Lord Lucien
It definitely is. But logistically speaking, for a civilization of comparatively hyper-advanced technology, supplying Coruscant wouldn't be out of the realm of the possible.

Barringer
I also find it somewhat ironic that in the whole "GAR controversy", they're arguing that the clone army is larger than 1.6 million, or whatever the figure is, based purely upon personal belief that a "galactic war" would require more than that many soldiers. The movie says there's 1.6 million units total currently available or soon to be available, and the clones take ten years to reach the physiological state of a twenty year old. Obviously there lies an argument that the term "unit" refers to something other than a single clone, but that seems unlikely since the Kaminoans wouldn't be concerned with the actual rank and hierarchy of the Republic's army.

But at the same time, they argue that the Executor was larger than 8 km based on film evidence, contrary to published SW literature which stated that it was 8 km in length.

But mainly I'm just annoyed by the whole "star dreadnought" crap. The movies call them Super Star Destroyers, but apparently the Imperial Navy needs to follow British naval nomenclature.

Lord Lucien
Actually, the Executor-class was a standard 19 km long. I don't recall when, but that one was resolved. And frankly I don't mind the several different names, it doesn't change what it is.

The GAR controversy though is ridiculous. Literally quadrillions of battle droids couldn't take down 1.6 million clones, half of which were dead only a year in to a 3 year conflict (and according to the 501st journal, it was the waning months of the war saw the most intense action). I mean the rate we see some of the clones dieing is reminiscent of Gettysburg or Stalingrad. F/ucking Karen Traviss. In PoD, a unit was a large group of soldiers. Hopefully a retcon will appear to match this.

Barringer
Actually, the Executor-class was a standard 19 km long. I don't recall when, but that one was resolved. And frankly I don't mind the several different names, it doesn't change what it is.

The GAR controversy though is ridiculous. Literally quadrillions of battle droids couldn't take down 1.6 million clones, half of which were dead only a year in to a 3 year conflict (and according to the 501st journal, it was the waning months of the war saw the most intense action). I mean the rate we see some of the clones dieing is reminiscent of Gettysburg or Stalingrad. F/ucking Karen Traviss. In PoD, a unit was a large group of soldiers. Hopefully a retcon will appear to match this.

I know the Executor thing has been declared to be 19 km officially. I'm just criticizing how in that instance, they declare the EU to be irrelevant, because the films "show otherwise", but then for their "star dreadnought" nomenclature they ignore the films to use their own desired terminology, and come up with ridiculous explanations for the film characters' use of "erroneous" nomenclature.

As for the GAR controversy, I thought only Traviss' "Odds" short story used that, and pretty much everything else that takes place afterward used a larger figure. I also believe that Leland Chee or someone else in Lucas Licensing or whatever said that the numbers were "old data", or something along those lines. I think that makes sense, the original Clone Army was only 1.6 million strong as of Geonosis, but it was supplemented with more clones gradually from Kamino and recruits.

In Traviss' recent novel Order 66, they were using billions of Spaarti Fett clones. Plus there's the GeNode clones, which haven't ever been definitively accounted for when the Republic/Empire started using, although they were in use by the time of Tarkin's invasion of Kashyyyk c. 19 BBY as seen in Dark Lord (due to a retcon of the short story Pax Empirica).

~:Mr.Anderson:~
I doubt Coruscant produces its own food. replicators. energy into matter. or they eat babies to prevent overpopulation.

ares834
Originally posted by ~:Mr.Anderson:~
replicators. energy into matter. or they eat babies to prevent overpopulation.
AH. A fan of Johnathan Swift's A Modest Propsal. I see.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Barringer
I know the Executor thing has been declared to be 19 km officially. I'm just criticizing how in that instance, they declare the EU to be irrelevant, because the films "show otherwise", but then for their "star dreadnought" nomenclature they ignore the films to use their own desired terminology, and come up with ridiculous explanations for the film characters' use of "erroneous" nomenclature.

As for the GAR controversy, I thought only Traviss' "Odds" short story used that, and pretty much everything else that takes place afterward used a larger figure. I also believe that Leland Chee or someone else in Lucas Licensing or whatever said that the numbers were "old data", or something along those lines. I think that makes sense, the original Clone Army was only 1.6 million strong as of Geonosis, but it was supplemented with more clones gradually from Kamino and recruits.

In Traviss' recent novel Order 66, they were using billions of Spaarti Fett clones. Plus there's the GeNode clones, which haven't ever been definitively accounted for when the Republic/Empire started using, although they were in use by the time of Tarkin's invasion of Kashyyyk c. 19 BBY as seen in Dark Lord (due to a retcon of the short story Pax Empirica). I've never read Traviss' work, but I thought she made mention of the 1.6 figure during a time period well in to war. It was bumped to about 3,000,000 once additional "units" were ready. If it turns that was just the original batch and it was expanded shortly after to a more feasible number, that's fine.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.