Do You Think Darth Maul Should've Died?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Spudman43
Should Maul have died to Obi'Wan? Or should he have gone on to own the entire Jedi Order?

I think Maul is just too badass to have been killed like that. His skills with a lightsaber are far greater than anyone (except Revan) before him, and he could totally defeat any of the Jedi heroes introduced later in the saga.

SIDIOUS 66
Huh????

Spudman43
Do you think Darth Maul was too good to die? Should he have lived on into the Star Wars Saga?

SIDIOUS 66
Originally posted by Spudman43
Do you think Darth Maul was too good to die? Should he have lived on into the Star Wars Saga?

Well it would not have been right if he didn't.

I meant "huh" about him and Revan being the best duelists. It was a joke, right?

Rampant ox
Count Dooku was a better villain than Darth Maul; making his death a necessity.

CadoAngelus
Should Maul have died to Obi'Wan? Or should he have gone on to own the entire Jedi Order?

I think Maul is just too badass to have been killed like that. His skills with a lightsaber are far greater than anyone (except Revan) before him, and he could totally defeat any of the Jedi heroes introduced later in the saga.

If a padawan level Obi-Wan could defeat him, he could not have gone on to "own" any jedi hero. Granted Maul was an exceptional duelist...

mattatom
Originally posted by CadoAngelus
If a padawan level Obi-Wan could defeat him, he could not have gone on to "own" any jedi hero. Granted Maul was an exceptional duelist...

Maul did 'own' Anoon Bondara and Qui Gon both Jedi Master rank. Both of which were on/meant to be on the council.
Granted that Mace/Yoda WOuld have little problem dispatching him.
Hell, Both their respective Padawans lasted longer against Maul than the master did.

Hero? Specifics please.

Imho, Qui Gon deserved more screen time even if it was only as a ghost in AotC/RotS.

Darth Rex
Maul had to be gotten rid of because he couldn't be a public face for the CIS like dooku was maul was like an animal, Lucas had to get another character

Spudman43
By heroes I mean that Darth Maul was a better duelist than Luke. But I realize that he would have had trouble with Anakin...

Elite Hunter
By heroes I mean that Darth Maul was a better duelist than Luke. But I realize that he would have had trouble with Anakin...

LOTF Luke would destroy Maul. ROTS Anakin would beat him too.

BruceSkywalker
facepalmfacepalm

xxxpoppunker182
I would have liked it better if Maul didn't die in ep1 and they fleshed his character out more in ep2 and finally have him killed in ep3 and then just had dooku manipulated by palpatine throughout ep2-3

Lord Lucien
If what happened in AotC happened as Ep. I, then there would have been room for both Maul and Dooku, Dooku replacing Maul in Ep. 2 after a whole movie and a half of him being a good guy.

xxxpoppunker182
I think the series would have been better off that way and then maul wouldn't have been killed by a padawan but by a knight till should be obi-wan who kills him though

Gideon
Define 'should'. Based on what perameters? If you mean as regards the fulfillment of George Lucas's design for Palpatine's schemes, then yes, he should have died; his role was to be a mindless, vicious enforcer that would put the fear of into the Jedi and embody the Sith threat. But Palpatine would need a more charismatic and politically active agent to be his proxy in the Confederacy; Maul's talents were within the realm of death, not politics (though one could argue they are the same as far as the Emperor is concerned).

If we were to scrap or manipulate the Rule of Two, Maul could have functioned as the more aggressive, physical agent whereas Dooku handled the politicking and aristocracy, with Palpatine lording over them both. It would be possible for the two to coexist peacefully under Sidious, since neither Maul nor Dooku ever planned to betray him.

Lord Lucien
Though it would have been neat to seem them trying to betray each other.

Gideon
Not really.

Dooku is more powerful than Maul in the Force, more manipulative in general, and (technically) the head of state of the Confederacy.

Maul's a really badass fighter. The only way it would be interesting is if it came down to a saberfight. But otherwise, you'd be setting up Maul for "a lulz epic fail!!1"

CadoAngelus
If Maul had survived, it might have been Maul in place of Dooku on Geonosis...the events could have turned out very differently...

Possible differences in the story are fun to explore...Yoda could have duelled with Maul for example, that would have been interesting. Nevertheless, Yoda would have won...

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Gideon
Not really.

Dooku is more powerful than Maul in the Force, more manipulative in general, and (technically) the head of state of the Confederacy.

Maul's a really badass fighter. The only way it would be interesting is if it came down to a saberfight. But otherwise, you'd be setting up Maul for "a lulz epic fail!!1" My definition of neat. Which frankly answers the question : Yes, Maul should have died.

Gideon
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
My definition of neat. Which frankly answers the question : Yes, Maul should have died.

On the other hand, Sidious probably wouldn't let him do it. And if there's anything that embodies "neat" to me, it's Dooku being pimpsmacked, verbally and otherwise, by Sidious.

Elite Hunter
If Maul had survived, it might have been Maul in place of Dooku on Geonosis...the events could have turned out very differently..

Originally posted by Gideon
Define 'should'. Based on what perameters? If you mean as regards the fulfillment of George Lucas's design for Palpatine's schemes, then yes, he should have died; his role was to be a mindless, vicious enforcer that would put the fear of into the Jedi and embody the Sith threat. But Palpatine would need a more charismatic and politically active agent to be his proxy in the Confederacy; Maul's talents were within the realm of death, not politics (though one could argue they are the same as far as the Emperor is concerned).

@ Cado, Maul would never have been able to bring the confederacy together, there would most likely be no Geonosis if Maul lived. Maul never demonstrated the political skills that Dooku has.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by Elite Hunter
@ Cado, Maul would never have been able to bring the confederacy together, there would most likely be no Geonosis if Maul lived. Maul never demonstrated the political skills that Dooku has.

I understand there are so many possibilities that would be fun to toy with, i was just trying to realise myself how different AotC and RotS would have been had Maul survived...I mean, in order to survive, he would have had to have bested Kenobi, in turn Anakin would never have been trained, Luke and Leia would never have been born (though speculation brings me to believe that if Anakin's and Padme's love were great enough they could have been born regardless), Darth Vader wouldn't exist...i could go on.

I guess the point i was trying to make is that if Maul had lived, it could've left so many possibilities open for pursuit...

Elite Hunter
I understand there are so many possibilities that would be fun to toy with, i was just trying to realise myself how different AotC and RotS would have been had Maul survived...I mean, in order to survive, he would have had to have bested Kenobi, in turn Anakin would never have been trained, Luke and Leia would never have been born (though speculation brings me to believe that if Anakin's and Padme's love were great enough they could have been born regardless), Darth Vader wouldn't exist...i could go on.

I guess the point i was trying to make is that if Maul had lived, it could've left so many possibilities open for pursuit...

Everything you said could be true but your example of substituting Maul for Dooku at Geonosis seem very far-fetched given what we know of the CIS, Dooku and Maul.

Happy_Sith
I much prefer Dooku's character in the EU over Maul's. Maul is too straightforward for my taste, treating Sidious almost as if he is a God character, where Dooku is simply in awe of him whilst being scared shitless.

But that aside, Maul's death sucked.

People will argue either way for as long as they wish, but I really didn't mind him being killed off.

xxxpoppunker182
mauls character is just like you described but if he was alive longer like throughout another movie his character could be more fleshed out so he wouldn't be just straight forward.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by xxxpoppunker182
mauls character is just like you described but if he was alive longer like throughout another movie his character could be more fleshed out so he wouldn't be just straight forward.

He was like a rabid monkey with a stick...yet so graceful haha, wtf am i talking about?

Hawtsauce

Maul was "defeated" because he was overconfident and underestimated Obi-wan. If he wasn't toying with him Obi-wan would be dead.

SnakeEyes
I still think there should've been no Dooku, no Grievous, etc. and that Darth Maul should've lived through the first film to become the main villain (besides the Emperor) of the prequel trilogy. He could've been given more dialogue, more of a personality and so forth. I just think the prequels would've benefited from a more consistent villain character instead throwing 4 new ones at us each time a movie came out.

ares834
We had a consistent villian in the PT Darth SIdious. THe OT also had only a single consistent villian, Vader, and a group of lesser ones. Just like the PT.

SIDIOUS 66
Darth Sidious is the greatest villain of all time.

kotorfan
Vader was more badass though.

Q'Anilia

For the sake of the plot, he served a greater purpose dead. It was quite a lot beneath him to get killed by Obi-Wan though, so in terms of skills I don't think he should've died. And even had he survived, he wouldnt be able to take out the council. Talented as he was, he was a garbageman taking out the trash and cleaning up for Sidious great finale.

But as much of a Christopher Lee fan I am, I'm glad he died smile

SIDIOUS 66
Originally posted by kotorfan
Vader was more badass though.

Yeah, but who made him that way?

Janus Marius
Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
Yeah, but who made him that way?

Jesus.

SIDIOUS 66
Originally posted by Janus Marius
Jesus.

And who convinced Jesus?

Lord Lucien
Buddha?

Red Nemesis
Nah. Zoroaster rolled up in the Vishnumobile and talked sense into him.

Lord Lucien
Right before Mohammad rode in on a unicorn and beat it back out.

CadoAngelus
Right before Moses galoped in on a pegasis and beat sense into him...again!

Darth Truculent
Maul was a weapon master - not a politician so yeah, Lucas killed him off at the right time. In a straight Force fight, he couldn't defeat an upper tier character. Yoda or Dooku would have ***** slapped him.

Janus Marius
Maul had to die because he had no personality or higher purpose worth speaking of, unlike Dooku or Anakin.

Actually, I might be willing to say Anakin had no personality, but at least he had a purpose. Somewhere.

Slash_KMC
Yup, his purpose is called the 'Original Trilogy'.

Janus Marius
Or "helping birth Luke".

CadoAngelus
maul is a mid-wife!?!?!?

Janus Marius
Wow, that's the most hilarious reading comprehension fail I've seen in this section.

CadoAngelus
that'd be awesome though...

right?

Dantalion
I personally think he should of had a bit more of a background story.. Perhaps at the start of episode 1 it starts ten years earlier.., I personally think he should of die, I don't believe the plot would have worked.

mattatom
Originally posted by Dantalion
I personally think he should of had a bit more of a background story.. Perhaps at the start of episode 1 it starts ten years earlier.., I personally think he should of die, I don't believe the plot would have worked.
The book Shadowhunter reveals some of Maul's past.

Stalker 360
i would of preferred the whole PT to be strecthed out a bit, Maul to off killed qui gon then obi want to go into training to better him self to kill off maul in eisode 2, during which he takes on training of anakin and the movies continue the way they did. this would give maul more of a pressence in the PT as i belive he deserved

Jinsoku Takai

Seeing as how he got sliced into two sections, I can't understand how he wouldn't die cool

Jinsoku Takai
His skills with a lightsaber are far greater than anyone (except Revan) before him, and he could totally defeat any of the Jedi heroes introduced later in the saga.

So... you think he was a better saber duelist than Darth Sidious, who was before him? Hmmm... okie dokie. Whatever floats ya boat dude, I guess.

Gideon
In a lot of ways, I'm sure they may be better than Palpatine's.

kotorfan
His skills with a lightsaber are far greater than anyone (except Revan) before him, and he could totally defeat any of the Jedi heroes introduced later in the saga.

kotor fanboy..??? Its pretty obvious.
and a maul fanboy
I mean being a fan of kotor myself (name), I'll admit that I would like to see Revan winning everything, and is cool and uber etc.

but u can't let ur fanboyness affect ur judgement. lol

Revan hasn't really shown anything in lightsaber combat so theres no proof that maul can or can't beat Revan in a duel. Although I'm positive that Maul would lose because of his inferior force ability.

sry idk whats wrong w/ my quotation.

and I don't think Maul could have beaten the likes of Windu, or Obi Wan in ROTS. Or Anakin for that matter.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.