No More Joker?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Heath Ledger was the perfect actor to play as the Joker. I'm sure that there was gonna be another Batman movie with Joker returning but Heath dies the next day so that's not gonna happen.

Is this the end for the Clown Prince of Crime to appear on the big screen?

SnakeEyes
I don't want a Ledger-esque Joker again. Let the man's performance stay untarnished; another actor imitating what he did would be stupid. I also don't think there will or should be another Joker in Nolan's next film.

I would, however, be fine with another actor playing his own version of the Joker further down the line in another Batman film/franchise.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Heath Ledger was the perfect actor to play as the Joker. I'm sure that there was gonna be another Batman movie with Joker returning but Heath dies the next day so that's not gonna happen.

no, the joker will return in say ten or twenty years

Raoul
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I would, however, be fine with another actor playing his own version of the Joker further down the line in another Batman film/franchise.

thumb up

Kazenji
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
no, the joker will return in say ten or twenty years

And maybe more evil then Ledger's version.

Ridley_Prime
All depends on how you define 'evil' when it comes to the Joker I guess.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Kazenji
And maybe more evil then Ledger's version.

that will be something to see when/if it happens

Scythe
They'll probably stick a random guy in an Arkham cell and label him Joker. Fanboys will shit and piss themselves.

Ridley_Prime
What is it with you and speaking that way about Joker fanboys? laughing out loud

Mindset
Has anyone ever shit and not pissed?

Scythe
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
What is it with you and speaking that way about Joker fanboys? laughing out loud

I really don't know, haha. My college is full of them, and they milk it to no end. In all fairness, I think if I saw a quick cameo of Heath Ledger digitalized in any upcoming film of him just sittin' in a cell in Arkham, I'd like that fanwank.

Originally posted by Mindset

Quite hard, my good man, quite hard. For you see, the fecal matter almost always give the greenlight to the urine.

Ace of Knaves
Originally posted by Nemesis X

I think Ledger was a good actor who played the perfect Joker. If another actor were to play the Nolan version of this character, then it should be nothing more than a cameo; perhaps where he provides insight into capturing the next major villain in the franchise. I think a good time for the next villain to make his existence known would be while the Gotham PD are transporting The Joker to Arkham in a Gotham Knight-type sub-sequal. Even a Harley Quinn appearance could be easily handled in this fashion; mabye a foiled break-out attempt. In this version of the Batman universe a precident has been set for the character. Bringing in another actor who plays the villain in a totally different manner would be self-destructive and non-sensical.

Try pissing just a few minutes before you shit.

Davis Bloome
I loved Ledger's performance and thought he did the best job possible, and has the best villain portrayal in any movie to date but no one actor is bigger than the Joker character himself, and if they can get an actor as talented as Ledger, I'd have no qualms what so ever with the Joker returning in the sequel, because he's a great character that I don't think we've seen enough of as far as the live action movies go.

steverules_2
I think Johnny Depp could fill the clown shoes and wear the joker make up, I think he can pull off an insane character quite well big grin

Kinkin
That would be an idea.

I hope he returns, I care more about the character than the person.

carnage52

Red Superfly
Ledger demonstrated that Nicholson's Joker wasn't the be-all and end-all of a Joker portrayal. That's probably the most important thing he did. He got people into the idea of thinking beyond what they know and use their imagination when looking at comic book characters in film.

Joker has been shown in various guises in the comics, and we've seen him in various forms on film. That won't change. I think there's enough space in The Jokers world to explore. Ledger went some way to opening people's minds with what could be done with that character. In fact, Ledgers take on the character went some way to make the comic book incarnation seem almost stale and overdone, so now it's up to the comics to keep up and start doing something equally imaginative.

Remember when everyone didn't "get" why Joker was wearring make-up when the first shots of Ledger-Joker were put up? Now it's generally considerred to be a far more valid and a far more interesting take (psychologically speaking) take on the Joker character, that makes way more sense and makes him far more human, and real, and due to who he is, far more terrifying and unnerving.

I'd love to see more talented actors doing cool things with the character in the future. I think Ledger's take went some way to actually start a very big ball that had almost stopped, rolling at full pelt again.

Davis Bloome
I agree with that entire statement, and rather than waiting until the next franchise rolls around, I'd like to see them get another actor to portray the Joker in Batman 3. Someone like James Franco....or Johnny Depp....or if they decide not to use a big name actor, get someone who was talented like Ledger but not well known.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Ledger demonstrated that Nicholson's Joker wasn't the be-all and end-all of a Joker portrayal. That's probably the most important thing he did. He got people into the idea of thinking beyond what they know and use their imagination when looking at comic book characters in film.

Joker has been shown in various guises in the comics, and we've seen him in various forms on film. That won't change. I think there's enough space in The Jokers world to explore. Ledger went some way to opening people's minds with what could be done with that character. In fact, Ledgers take on the character went some way to make the comic book incarnation seem almost stale and overdone, so now it's up to the comics to keep up and start doing something equally imaginative.

Remember when everyone didn't "get" why Joker was wearring make-up when the first shots of Ledger-Joker were put up? Now it's generally considerred to be a far more valid and a far more interesting take (psychologically speaking) take on the Joker character, that makes way more sense and makes him far more human, and real, and due to who he is, far more terrifying and unnerving.

I'd love to see more talented actors doing cool things with the character in the future. I think Ledger's take went some way to actually start a very big ball that had almost stopped, rolling at full pelt again.
eh i find the comic joker much more interesting then ledgers. I honestly found it over rated.

YodaIam
I'm selfish and want to see another Joker even if Ledger is dead.

Dr Will Hatch
On the big screen, yes. There won't be another major Batman franchise after Nolan finishes(?) for at least a few years after. So at least 6 years. To be honest, I think TDK pushed the mythos as far as it can go, anything else would be redundunt. I just wish everyone else in the cast(As well as the directors and scriptwriters) had gotten the same level of praise that Ledger did.

Davis Bloome
I don't think more movies would be redundant, there's a hell of a lot more that could be done with Batman storywise. There are 70 years of stories to pull from.

Red Superfly
It'd be relatively easy to carry on making compelling Batman movies.

The end of The Dark Knight has left Batman in a very interesting position. Seeing as people will now believe he is willing to kill people (only Gordon, his family and Batman know that it was Harvey), he is now at the height of his "creating fear" powers.

Most people think The Dark Knight ended on a bum note, where Batman is now on the run. The thing is, Batman is now more effective than ever, because he's now an even bigger symbol of fear in the criminal underworld. Which makes sense really because Batman only works if criminals are truly shit scared of him - it'd only be a matter of time criminals would realise he doesn't kill as they'd all end up still alive, but now they will all believe that he does because he's wanted for murder, so they'll be even more terrified of him, and think he's more than what he truly is, which was Bruces idea for Batman all along.

It'd be cool if they explored this aspect in another film. I'd love to see way more Scarecrow.

Gamerr-X
Anyone here seen Mock the Week? Here's a joke lol the Joker fans mighy hate,
Things you wouldnt hear in a Superhero movie

"Whats that Joker, you'll be back? Somehow I dont think you will be...."

For those who dont get it, Heath Ledger died and he was Joker in the film.

Scythe
Originally posted by Gamerr-X
Anyone here seen Mock the Week? Here's a joke lol the Joker fans mighy hate,
Things you wouldnt hear in a Superhero movie

"Whats that Joker, you'll be back? Somehow I dont think you will be...."

For those who dont get it, Heath Ledger died and he was Joker in the film.

I'm surprised you felt the need to explain that joke.

Mindset
Originally posted by Scythe
I'm surprised you felt the need to explain that joke. lol

Gamerr-X
lol

Davis Bloome
I want Johnny Depp as the Joker, dammit. I think he may be one of the only people capable of pulling off a performance as good as Ledger's.

Bat Dude
Brandon Lee was the Crow, and he died ON SET, yet they made another Crow movie with someone else in that role 2 years later...

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Bat Dude
Brandon Lee was the Crow, and he died ON SET, yet they made another Crow movie with someone else in that role 2 years later...

First off, the sequels sucked ass (I actually didn't even like the first one). Secondly, in that franchise, the Crow was the MAIN character, whereas in Nolan's Batman films, the Joker is not essential for a third film.

Bat Dude
First off, the sequels sucked ass (I actually didn't even like the first one). Secondly, in that franchise, the Crow was the MAIN character, whereas in Nolan's Batman films, the Joker is not essential for a third film.

Actually, didn't it say Joker was gonna be a major part of the 3rd movie? In the "Nolan won't do Batman 3" article?

If it's done the right way, I see no reason why Nolan can't recast if he wants to... Will he want to? Probably not... And that's fine. If that's what Nolan wants to do, I support it...

The Nuul
Originally posted by Davis Bloome
I want Johnny Depp as the Joker, dammit. I think he may be one of the only people capable of pulling off a performance as good as Ledger's.

Than make the movie you're self, other wise Joker is over with for a while.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Bat Dude
Actually, didn't it say Joker was gonna be a major part of the 3rd movie? In the "Nolan won't do Batman 3" article?

If it's done the right way, I see no reason why Nolan can't recast if he wants to... Will he want to? Probably not... And that's fine. If that's what Nolan wants to do, I support it...

That article said that the Joker was envisioned as the villain for the third BEFORE Heath Ledger died. That article also said that Ledger's death really bugged Nolan, which is why he's hesitant about a third film.

I still strongly believe that Nolan won't recast the Joker. As someone who respected Ledger's work more than most, Nolan wouldn't want to cheapen his performance by recasting another actor to replace him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Another actor as the Joker in Nolan's Batfilms = no good, but in another Batman franchise helmed by a different director = I'm all for it.

I say we let Ledger's performance stand alone in Nolan's Batman films and quit asking for another actor to imitate what the man did in The Dark Knight.

BruceSkywalker
That article said that the Joker was envisioned as the villain for the third BEFORE Heath Ledger died. That article also said that Ledger's death really bugged Nolan, which is why he's hesitant about a third film.

I still strongly believe that Nolan won't recast the Joker. As someone who respected Ledger's work more than most, Nolan wouldn't want to cheapen his performance by recasting another actor to replace him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Another actor as the Joker in Nolan's Batfilms = no good, but in another Batman franchise helmed by a different director = I'm all for it.

I say we let Ledger's performance stand alone in Nolan's Batman films and quit asking for another actor to imitate what the man did in The Dark Knight.

i could not agree more with you

TheVapor
I see it both ways, If they want the Joker in it played by someone else, I'd support it , but if they decided to rest the character with maybe nothing more than a cameo, then I'd be fine with that too.

If they don't go with Joker, than there will probably be a Joker-Esq villain, like Mad Hatter or Harley Quinn, but in a small role, and probably Riddler taking the spotlight as the main villain. As much as I would love to see Johny Depp's version of the character, I believe, as they have done so with most characters, they will cast someone we WOULDN'T expect. Maybe a big name, but not someone who would crack our top 5 "Wish List". They could get freakin' Elijah Wood to be The Riddler, and no one would support it, and then unexpectedly he kicks ass in the role. Who knows?

Interestingly, the new animated Arkham movie looks like it will bridge The Dark Knight and B3, and it features both the Joker and Dent. I think the end to that movie will make it a little clearer as to where they are going with villains for B3.

Davis Bloome
I would love to have Franco in as the Joker and Depp in as the Riddler, or Depp as the Joker if Franco isn't in the role. I think both would be very capable of capturing the true essence of the character, whether they do as good a job as Heath or not.

coolmovies
i agree no more joker

Davis Bloome
I'm conflicted. There's a part of me that wants to see more of the Joker, and part of me that doesn't because not every actor would be as dedicated to pulling off a great performance. I'm sure actors like Johnny Depp, James Franco, Daniel Day Lewis, and Joseph Gordon Levitt may be, but realistically speaking, if Nolan does recast it's not likely to be any of them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.