Sherlock Holmes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Discuss the new movie from Guy Ritchie and starring Robert Downey Jnr

GrXLaxSeClg

Nephthys
An ex-drug addict playing a drug addict.....

What could go wrong?!!

(looks interesting)

dadudemon
Looks fun.

MildPossession
I've never read any of the books, but I see they have added in martial arts, I believe this was in the books? find that very interesting to see, Ritchie has done those fight sequences in the trailer like his fight scene in Snatch, though probably less violent.

I love the look of it. smile

Mr. Rhythmic
Unimpressive.

BruceSkywalker
I will see this

SnakeEyes
This could be a fun action movie. Obviously it strays from the actual Sherlock Holmes character/stories quite a bit, but whatever. I'm getting a Pirates of the Caribbean vibe from the trailer.

jamesjack
Picturization of the movie is very good and interesting too

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
This could be a fun action movie. Obviously it strays from the actual Sherlock Holmes character/stories quite a bit, but whatever. I'm getting a Pirates of the Caribbean vibe from the trailer.

from what I've read, this may actually be an actual interpretation of the Sherlock Holmes character

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by MildPossession
I've never read any of the books, but I see they have added in martial arts, I believe this was in the books? find that very interesting to see, Ritchie has done those fight sequences in the trailer like his fight scene in Snatch, though probably less violent.

I love the look of it. smile Yeah, Doyle said in one of his stories that Sherlock was a judo master and knew some other weird type of martial art that was being taught around the turn of the century. He's also been shown to have almost peak human strength in addition to his awesome detective skills.

Impediment
Well................Guy Ritchie knows how to make a good film.

RDJ was great in A Scanner Darkly and Iron Man.

This looks to be............somewhat promising. I'll have to investigate this more.

Menetnashté
Well he's much more like he is in this movie than before. Before it was made and people pretty much just said, oh an Englishman let's make him proper and that wasn't Holmes. He's got a kind of cocky, jackass, I'm smarter than all of you mentality.

Robtard
Just saw the trailer for this (took the kid to see Harry Potter, what a boring and dull film), it looks fantastic, Downey Jr. fits it perfect from what can be seen.

Rogue Jedi
No shit, Sherlock.

Kazenji
Theres already a thread for this.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Robtard
Just saw the trailer for this (took the kid to see Harry Potter, what a boring and dull film), it looks fantastic, Downey Jr. fits it perfect from what can be seen. Oh yeah, how was the apparition? wink

MildPossession
Robtard!!

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=508821&highlight=holmes+forumid%3A2

Silly billy.

Impediment
Merged.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Oh yeah, how was the apparition? wink

Not nearly as potent as Nightcrawlers.

Robtard
Robtard!!

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=508821&highlight=holmes+forumid%3A2

Silly billy.

You got me. I'll let you go down on me as a prize.

steverules_2
I love the end bit where he's in cuffs naked and tells the lady to remain calm and that the key to his release is beneath the pillow

super pr*xy
this movie looks good.. i'll watch it..

Rogue Jedi
Not nearly as potent as Nightcrawlers. I'll be the judge of that.

roughrider
It looks silly. I wouldn't trust Guy Ritchie to do any kind of source material justice.

Kazenji
Link to the viral campaign

http://94.236.57.221/

Mr Parker
I was surprised to find that there has been no thread here posted for this new upcoming movie which opens up on Christmas.Looks like a really fun action pack flick starring Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock and Jude Law.This looks like a great fun flick.cant wait to see it.By the looks of the trailer here I will probably see it several times.If its as good as the trailer looks,this may even enter my top 20 favorites list.

http://sherlock-holmes-trailer.blogspot.com/

Impediment
Dupe thread. Merged.

Mr Parker
the last post on this thread must have been several pages back cause I carefully looked through the last two pages. confused

Impediment
It happens more than you think. It's no big deal.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by roughrider
It looks silly. I wouldn't trust Guy Ritchie to do any kind of source material justice.

thumb up I believe the term is "QFT".

Robtard
This movie will be great, all you haters can masturbate over that eye-candy nonsense that will be Avatar. Which I'll be seeing too, but haven't got the raging hard-on as I do for Sherlock Holmes.

WickedDynamite
Another overhyped movie just like Avatar. I give them props for having 7/11 promote this film with posters of the film stamp on every Big Gulp cups and Hot dogs wraps for sale.

Good markerting job thumb up

As for the film....Just stay home an order The Seven-Per-Cent Solution.

(better yet! Read the damn novels by Doyle which are superior!)

Movie gets a 2 out of 5

Robtard
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
Movie gets a 2 out of 5

Did you watch an early screening?

Surely with Downey, I couldn't have been that bad.

Kazenji
Came back from seeing it and i enjoyed it unlike WickedDynamite

3.5/5 from me

Another overhyped movie just like Avatar.

Overhyped??

don't know where you've been living but did'nt feel like it was that hyped to me.

SnakeEyes
Just got back from seeing this with my family.

It was alright, Downey Jr. was great, as he always is and he had good chemistry with Jude Law. The scenes that showcased Holmes' detective skills were pretty cool and some of the action sequences were neat. Overall though I felt like the movie kinda dragged at times, for an "action blockbuster" type of movie. There wasn't much that got me emotionally involved with anyone or anything in the movie and the romantic subplot didn't really engage me.

Overall, I felt kind of "eh" about the movie, sprinkled with moments where I felt "aw, that's pretty cool."

I'd probably give it a 6, maybe 6.5/10.

Definitely not one of the best films of all time (or even of the year), *ahem* Mr. Parker *cough*

Quincy
I saw this last night with a group of my friends. I thought it was pretty good. I mean, Robert Downey Jr is just so entertaining to watch, and I thought Jude Law was surprisingly badass as Dr. Watson. As for the romantic subplot, I'm with SnakeEyes. I mean, Rachel McAdams really didn't do much, she was just sort of there. The main villain wasn't as big and bad as I would have hoped, but the mystery itself was pretty decent. I actually liked most of the whole 'bromance' moments with Holmes and Watson - i think their friendship keeps this movie together. I was also hoping there would be more of those fight scenes where Holmes picks apart how he is going to kick someone's ass.

But yeah felt like it dragged a bit towards the end.

H. S. 6
It was an entertaining romp at times, while it dragged at others. Downey was great, Law was great, McAdams... eh.

And on another note, was anyone else really disappointed with the main villain? He just didn't seem to pack enough punch--Holmes never really seemed to be in danger. It was more like "I've figured out all your plans, and oh, look at that, you've gone and hung yourself.

Ms.Marvel
its been a long time since ive gone to see a movie then spent half of the movie praying for it to end.

*sighs* damn you guy ritchie.

Kazenji
Wow....it was that bad for you.

Ms.Marvel
theres nothing universally bad about it or anything it just didnt appeal to the movie watcher in me. im not really a fan of RDJ as it is though so that certainly had an influence on my opinion of the movie. also im a big fan of the holmes novels... so that doesnt help either.

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by Kazenji
Wow....it was that bad for you.

What's it that GOOD for your? wow!

Robtard
Movie was alright, Downey did a good role, as did Law. Plot and villian(s) were the let-down.

Tired-Hiker
This movie will be great, all you haters can masturbate over that eye-candy nonsense that will be Avatar. Which I'll be seeing too, but haven't got the raging hard-on as I do for Sherlock Holmes. Originally posted by Robtard
Movie was alright, Downey did a good role, as did Law. Plot and villian(s) were the let-down.

big grin

Alpha Centauri
Americanised-nonsense-by-way-of British-director.

-AC

dadudemon
Just got back from seeing this with my family.

It was alright, Downey Jr. was great, as he always is and he had good chemistry with Jude Law. The scenes that showcased Holmes' detective skills were pretty cool and some of the action sequences were neat. Overall though I felt like the movie kinda dragged at times, for an "action blockbuster" type of movie. There wasn't much that got me emotionally involved with anyone or anything in the movie and the romantic subplot didn't really engage me.

Overall, I felt kind of "eh" about the movie, sprinkled with moments where I felt "aw, that's pretty cool."

I'd probably give it a 6, maybe 6.5/10.

Definitely not one of the best films of all time (or even of the year), *ahem* Mr. Parker *cough*

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll be seeing this, now. (Fer realz. A 6.5 is worhth watching in the theater...but a 6 is netflixer.)

Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
theres nothing universally bad about it or anything it just didnt appeal to the movie watcher in me. im not really a fan of RDJ as it is though so that certainly had an influence on my opinion of the movie. also im a big fan of the holmes novels... so that doesnt help either.

At least you can be objective about it and/or admit why you didn't like it.

I dislike it when people can't admit that they doomed a movie to failure before watching because they liked the books more.

Alpha Centauri
Exactly.

I love the books, and while I knew I wouldn't like it as much (Because I do, without fail, always prefer books), I gave it a shot because movie adaptations can still be very excellent (Fight Club for example, Choke, The Dark Knight).

This wasn't, it sucked. It didn't capture his character at all.

Way more Americans will like this than Brits, I think.

-AC

Robtard
Originally posted by Tired-Hiker
big grin

Yeah, set the expectation way too higher, my fault, should have known better considering the director.

Bicnarok
It looks very "Un-sherlock holmes" like. All that action and yanks in the movie,

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, it didn't feel like a Sherlock Holmes movie but thats a good thing because it wasn't boring like a Sherlock Holmes movie. I liked it. The movie definitely had a specific style that felt out of place at times but i think that's just because i'm not used to seeing some of the angles and camera techniques that was used being here coupled with a period piece. I had a lot of fun though and this is mainly due to the chemistry between Law and Downey. I've never been a Sherlock fan so i can't say whether or not this movie does Holmes justice but aside from that i thought the movie worked very well.

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by Bicnarok
It looks very "Un-sherlock holmes" like. All that action and yanks in the movie,

I was just sitting there watching the movie thinking...

"Gee! I wonder when is Will Smith going to pop in with his action sequences from Wild Wild West and fight the villain?"

That how bad this Shitlock Holmes movie was.

thumb down

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, it didn't feel like a Sherlock Holmes movie but thats a good thing because it wasn't boring like a Sherlock Holmes movie.

Then do an "English" detective movie and don't base it on Sherlock Holmes or call it Sherlock Holmes.

If it doesn't feel like the character should feel, then you're doing it wrong.

If that's intentional, then you obviously don't like Sherlock Holmes in the first place. So why make the movie?

-AC

Tired-Hiker
The best Sherlock Holmes movie was 'Young Sherlock Holmes.'

dadudemon
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Then do an "English" detective movie and don't base it on Sherlock Holmes or call it Sherlock Holmes.

If that's intentional, then you obviously don't like Sherlock Holmes in the first place. So why make the movie?

-AC

It's almost a "brand name." In other words, they called it Sherlock Holmes for the money.

I'm sure it's doing fine at the box office.

Nephthys
You guys are weird. This movie was Fan-****ing-tastic. I loved every minute. I thought the actors were great, characters were great, chemistry was great between them, liked that the Love Interest(tm) actually gained my respect and wasn't a damsel in distress but rather legitimately carried her weight, liked the villian, liked the action and it was incredibly witty. I laughed my ass off in the theatre. You guys are treating it too seriously. It wasn't a serious movie.

Summery: Great movie.

Kazenji
What's it that GOOD for your? wow!

Wow.....everyone's a comedian.

dadudemon
Wow.....everyone's a comedian.

Plotholes. no expression

Kazenji
Originally posted by dadudemon
Plotholes. no expression

were there ?

tell them to me.

jinXed by JaNx

-AC

It worked for James Bond.

dadudemon
were there ?

tell them to me.

There probably were. I haven't see the movie yet. I called what you said a plot hole, cause very few people are comedians. My comment was supposed to be sort of like a dumb Michaal Scott moment where someone makes a joke, and Michael has to reply with something literal....that, and you and I have had the "plothole" conversation before.

Stop making me explain my posts. no expression

Kazenji
There probably were. I haven't see the movie yet. I called what you said a plot hole, cause very few people are comedians. My comment was supposed to be sort of like a dumb Michaal Scott moment where someone makes a joke, and Michael has to reply with something literal....that, and you and I have had the "plothole" conversation before.

Stop making me explain my posts. no expression

Well then i'm sorry that i'm not on the same wave length as you....

dadudemon
Saw this film. Was great. 8 out of 10.

There were several mistakes in the film, which was a tad distracting. (Prop and actor placements between takes and changing angles, and some minor complaints about the plot.)

I did not like the fact the Watson was trying to get away from Holmes, the whole film. That was unnecessarily distracting. They should have saved that for the next film and made this one more about the duo and their exploits, not the end of their exploits together.

Nicely written.

There needed to be subtitles. It was hard to understand some of the quick mumbly banter, at times. Got stupid. Downey's accent was suprisingly good, most of the time. I enjoyed some of the humor, but, at times, it seemed to try to hard at being "smart" or "cutesy".

However, there's not much room for major improvement in this film.

AC did mention something about this film shitting on Sherlock Holmes and that it should have been named something else. I agree and disagree. I really enjoyed when Downey went into his "Holmes" moments where he figures a whole bunch of shit out. However, he was much too sassy and flamboyant to be Sherlock Holmes...so I'm mixed there. Still, it should have been called Sherlock Holmes.

Ritchie did well to capture Holmes' messiness at the beginning of the film: no doubt homage to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's version of Sherlock Holmes, for the book fans. There was also the part of the film that captured Holme's hidden yet great concern for Dr. Watson...however, Ritchie took that portion too far from Holme's original book character. But, it worked really well for Ritchie's version, so no harm done.

Good film, though. I'll be watching it again on Blu-ray...with subtitles this time. I look forward to the second film and Holmes' exploits with Moriarty.

Robtard
Really couldn't follow the dialogue at times? Then again, I've been watching British movies and TV shows for decades; probably just used to it.

dadudemon
Really couldn't follow the dialogue at times? Then again, I've been watching British movies and TV shows for decades; probably just used to it.

When people mumble and speak fast, no matter the accent, I have a hard time understanding them. It's one of those weird retarded "dadudemon" things. However, for this film, I was far from the only one thinking that.

Tired-Hiker
When people mumble and speak fast, no matter the accent, I have a hard time understanding them. It's one of those weird retarded "dadudemon" things. However, for this film, I was far from the only one thinking that.

You did not like The Big Lebowski. I can no longer trust your movie review skills.

dadudemon
You did not like The Big Lebowski. I can no longer trust your movie review skills.

As if you should have trusted them to begin with: I thought the PT was better than the OT.

And...I'm still not feeling The Big Lebowski. RJ says I have to see it again to get the real lulz.

Tired-Hiker
As if you should have trusted them to begin with: I thought the PT was better than the OT. no

dadudemon
no

*thinks it twice just for spite*

Rogue Jedi
As if you should have trusted them to begin with: I thought the PT was better than the OT.

And...I'm still not feeling The Big Lebowski. RJ says I have to see it again to get the real lulz.

Blasphemy.

Yes, 3 or 4 times. Watch Donnie's face as Dude and Walter are arguing, awesome.

Tired-Hiker
*thinks it twice just for spite*

You are dead to me. mad

dadudemon
You are dead to me. mad

*lives free and doesn't die hard*

Darth Martin
Saw this today. It was okay. I liked the fighting scenes when Holmes would explain his moves and tactics in slow motion. Then the detective parts. Wasn't a big fan of the action, braud or the villian.

BruceSkywalker
i saw this today...

i liked it, very impressed with downey, law and mcadams..

also liked the fact that Moriarty was heard and not seen

dadudemon
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i saw this today...

i liked it, very impressed with downey, law and mcadams..

also liked the fact that Moriarty was heard and not seen

lol

Cool.

We have almost freakishly similar tastes in films.

Oh, I've been meaning to ask you: did you like GI Joe? I watched the cartoon, as a child. Darthmaul says it was awesome...but, I figure you would be a much better person to get advice from since our tastes are similar.

BruceSkywalker
lol

Cool.

We have almost freakishly similar tastes in films.

Oh, I've been meaning to ask you: did you like GI Joe? I watched the cartoon, as a child. Darthmaul says it was awesome...but, I figure you would be a much better person to get advice from since our tastes are similar.

i liked g.i. joe, but the story could have been a little better..

i still own a lot of the comics with snake eyes and storm shadow

Mr. Rhythmic
Wow, this movie's already underrated, and it just came out.

I really loved this movie. It felt very fun, exciting, smart without being obnoxious, and overall a comic-book like movie that keeps true to the classic stories. Downy Jr. may not be as good as when he's Tony Stark, but I'll be damned if he wasn't flat out incredible. I dare anyone to beat his interpretation of Holmes.

I give the movie a 4.5/5 or a 9/10. The only thing that hurt the film was Rachel McAdams. Irene Adler is supposed to be the early Catwoman, and yet she's more like Squirrel Girl.

Mr. Rhythmic
Plot and villian(s) were the let-down.

Highly disagree. I cared not for Blackwood because he wasn't the center stage villain(merely an idiotic decoy), and the plot was solid.

Alpha Centauri
Rhythmic, there, with a take on the Sherlock Holmes mythology that suggests he's never read a single one of the books.

How did it stay true to the books? It's pretty much alien to any sensibilities A.C.D. had. Unless your idea of "like the books" is his name being Sherlock Holmes and such.

Dudemon: G.I. Joe was G.I. Joe in name only. It literally could have been called anything else. Abominable. Nothing about it felt like what the title said it was. It's not a G.I. Joe movie, it's a movie with G.I. Joe in the title and some character names.

For the record, Dudemon, there's a lot more to The Big Lebowski than funny facial expressions. Watch it a few more times, but don't spend your time looking at funny faces. It's The Big Lebowski, it's not Superbad. I'm not gonna tell you it's a movie you SHOULD like; there's every chance it's simply not to your tastes.

It isn't a watch-once movie, though.

-AC

Robtard
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Highly disagree. I cared not for Blackwood because he wasn't the center stage villain(merely an idiotic decoy), and the plot was solid.

Moriarty was barely there, so it's not like you could have cared for him.

Plot seemed a slight rip-off of 'V for Vendetta', wish they had gone with something else other than 'lets kill parliament.'

Still enjoyed the movie, as Downey was great, but those were my let-downs. Villains that weren't even a slight match for Holmes and an unoriginal plot. Am looking forward for the next installment, not nearly as much as Iron Man 2, but am.

Ms.Marvel
this movie doesnt keep true to the classic stories...

dadudemon
Rhythmic, there, with a take on the Sherlock Holmes mythology that suggests he's never read a single one of the books.

lulz.

You are brutally honest. You say things I think, but won't post because they are too mean.

How did it stay true to the books? It's pretty much alien to any sensibilities A.C.D. had. Unless your idea of "like the books" is his name being Sherlock Holmes and such.

There were bits and pieces that were similar to the books (and short stories), including bits and pieces of S.H.'s personality, as I listed earlier. But, you're correct, it was more "modern" and flamboyant than the real stiff lipped and stern Holmes.

Dudemon: G.I. Joe was G.I. Joe in name only. It literally could have been called anything else. Abominable. Nothing about it felt like what the title said it was. It's not a G.I. Joe movie, it's a movie with G.I. Joe in the title and some character names.

This is uniquely odd because my coworker said the same thing. In fact, he said that they should have just used different names and symbols in the movie, and they could have saved tons of money on royalties. He said that, bascially, Hollywood took the names, put rolls in a hate (some GI Joe inspired, others just made up), and drew the rolls randomly and assigned a character name to it.

Regardless of that, I'm fine with seeing a reinvention of the series in a completely different way. Even if they get the characters right. I DO expect to see homage paid to the old school cartoon watchers.

For the record, Dudemon, there's a lot more to The Big Lebowski than funny facial expressions. Watch it a few more times, but don't spend your time looking at funny faces. It's The Big Lebowski, it's not Superbad. I'm not gonna tell you it's a movie you SHOULD like; there's every chance it's simply not to your tastes.

It isn't a watch-once movie, though.

-AC

I'll watch it again. I can watch it anytime I want to, with Netflix Instant Watch feature. If I don't enjoy it more the second time, I will send you pictures of attractive women with ...wait for it....the b00bbs blacked out. no expression

Edit - Yes, I know you didn't write the whole post at me.

Myth
I was really disappointed with the movie. It wasn't bad, but I just expected so much more out of a movie with talent such as Downey, Law, Strong, and Ritchie. The performances were fine, the dialog was witty, but the movie just lacked an "oomph" to it. I feel like on a coolness level it started out as a 7 and remained a 7 throughout rather than building up to something better by the climax. It just never stepped up to the next level as I expected it to. Really the best parts were 2 fights where it showed Downey Jr thinking how he was going to take out a guy, and both were in the first 30 minutes. I give it a 6/10.

Mr. Rhythmic

Or a take in which I believe that it can be changed a little for a theatrical release.

A Study In Scarlet
The Sign Of The Four
The Hound Of The Baskervilles
The Final Problem
The Valley Of Fear
And so on.

Read all of them. Just because I don't have a stick stuck up my ass about it doesn't mean I know nothing about it. All I know is that the movie was able to keep true to the characters while being able to switch them up a bit for the big screen.

How ignorant.

Mr. Rhythmic
Moriarty was barely there, so it's not like you could have cared for him.

Just his presence without being seen really did it for me.

jaden101
I'm taking the other half to see this at the weekend. It better be good or she'll be feeling the back of my ring hand.

Scythe
Originally posted by jaden101
I'm taking the other half to see this at the weekend. It better be good or she'll be feeling the back of my ring hand.

Get ready to have to explain another black eye. Saw it, and while it was alright, I figured since I enjoyed it, it did not do Sherlock Holmes any justice at all. Since most Holmes affiliated material bores me. It seemed very Americanized. Neat little movie to eat popcorn to, not to shit your pants.

Selphie
It was okay. Scenery was beautiful. Nice to see the proper mannerisms of that time period as well.

Tired-Hiker
I watched this last night. I thought it was a fun and entertaining movie. Robert Downey Jr. was great as usual.

DoubleDutch5
I enjoyed the film but I did find that RM was the weak link in it. She played the character much too 'modern' to be believable for me. But Robert and Jude had some very nice chemistry together. The plot was a bit thin and the movie on the whole was on the 'fluffy' side but it was entertaining enough.

Mr Parker
Finally saw this movie and man this movie was boring as hell.Looked like a great action packed flick from the trailers but the trailer was the best part of the movie.The film itself sadly did not meausre up to the greatness of the trailer.Pretty much all the action scenes were all in the trailer and the scenery looked impressive from the trailer but everything in the trailer was the only good scenery there was.I agree that the plot was pretty thin and for a movie with such talent such as Downey and Law I expected so much more and quite and entertaining film but even they were not much fun to watch.I give this film a four out of 10.Stay away from it and save your money is my advise I give people.

Omgu8mynewt
I saw the film a few days ago, was dragged along unwillingly to see it as I didn't like the trailer, too much blowing stuff up then running away instead of actual Sherlock Holmes.

I did really like this film, I was constantly laughing (when Holmes is tied up or when Watson refuses to rescue him I love) and the detective plot is really fast, Ill definately watch it again and try to follow it better.
The Holmes and Watson double act is great and more original in how Watson wants to leave, but Holmes, although he is a brilliant man, can't really look after himself without him.
Lots of tense moments too like the fight in the shipyard and the struggle in the slaughterhouse, both had me glued to the screen.
I also really liked seeing parts of London where I'm used to walking through on my way to work with the buildings looking exactly the same, but with carts and people in rags instead of commuters. The scenery is exactly right for the film and the atmosphere is great, spooky and dirty but still just normal life too.

I can't wait to see this film again and I hope a sequel is made, it sets up the characters enough and Professor Moriarty is only introduced at the end as if the story was just a beginning.

And yes, I have read and love Conan Doyle's books for years now and I think the character of Sherlock Holmes is captured in this, his arrogance and brilliance but also his inability to look after himself too.

st417
Originally posted by Omgu8mynewt
I did really like this film, I was constantly laughing (when Holmes is tied up or when Watson refuses to rescue him I love) and the detective plot is really fast, Ill definately watch it again and try to follow it better.

I agree, will definately watch a second and a third sequel if there's any.

AbnormalButSane
I loved this movie. Watched it twice while it was out at the cinema. I'll probably buy it when it comes out.

Hell Lancer
good movie. didn't like it too much (and i'm a big Guy Ritchie fan) but definitely loved the laughs and Downey's performance.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Myth
I was really disappointed with the movie. It wasn't bad, but I just expected so much more out of a movie with talent such as Downey, Law, Strong, and Ritchie. The performances were fine, the dialog was witty, but the movie just lacked an "oomph" to it. I feel like on a coolness level it started out as a 7 and remained a 7 throughout rather than building up to something better by the climax. It just never stepped up to the next level as I expected it to. Really the best parts were 2 fights where it showed Downey Jr thinking how he was going to take out a guy, and both were in the first 30 minutes. I give it a 6/10.

Ditto, for the most part. Was hoping for more of a detective movie, rather than an action movie. Am a fan of RDJ and GR, but didn't really feel the love for the original atmosphere and while I appreciate much of the styling and effort - to me the film didn't quite do justice to the greatest detective the world has ever seen.

My brothers liked it more than I did - they enjoyed the action and the humour. To me, at times, it was distracting - it felt like a Bruce Willis "The Last Boy Scout" kinda movie - too many attempts at one-liners while beating up the bad guys.

It definitely felt more like an American version of a British icon.

I didn't actively dislike it, but I am glad I didn't get too excited about it before the time.

6/10 seems about fair to me...

The Nuul
It just didnt live up to its hype 6/10....I like the cast though.

Kazenji
What hype?

Ms.Marvel
mr parkers? stick out tongue

ikova
70% of the movie was boring

Mr Parker
Originally posted by ikova
70% of the movie was boring

Boy you can say that again and yeah,thats a good point ms marvel made,I sure did hype this movie up that it was going to be great alright.just proves not to get too excited about a movie from a trailer.

jaden101
Well I never went to see this movie with Mrs Jaden101 and I guess I no longer have to because Mrs Jaden101 is now ex Mrs Jaden101...

Good times.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
Well I never went to see this movie with Mrs Jaden101 and I guess I no longer have to because Mrs Jaden101 is now ex Mrs Jaden101...

Good times.

Sorry to hear that, if it's a sore-point on your end.

I can send you a copy, so you can watch it alone, at home, with the lights off.

xJLxKing
Divorce?

Any ways, I watched it yesterday. I thought it was okay, however, it took a lot of concentration and patience to understand Michael Robert Johnson. Was is just me?

Nephthys
You people are obviously insane.

jaden101
Sorry to hear that, if it's a sore-point on your end.

Don't be. Didn't help that she caught me in the club with my other ex's flat mate...not actually doing anything but sitting alone have a pretty serious conversation.

I have other movies for that.

laughing Yeah something like that.

starlock
I was so excited to see this...and tried real hard to enjoy it...but.....it sucked!....yeah there were 2 or 3 good moments...but that does not make a movie....3 out of 10.

Mr Parker
that is so weird that you said that because that sums it up exactly what I thought of it as well.

Rogue Jedi
Finally saw this (Thanks Rob for the DVD), I quite enjoyed it. Downey Jr. was brilliant.

K.Diddy
beer I seen this awhile ago,wasn't that fussed on it,I found holmes spoke to fast and found it hard to keep up with what he was saying,which made the movie a bit annoying

K.Diddy
beer I just revived this thread because I would like to add that I re-watched this movie the other night and seemed to enjoy it a lot more then the 1st time.Once you appreciate the mystery and how it all comes together at the end I think it makes the film a bit more enjoyable,but still far from perfect, A 7/10 and that really is being generous.

MildPossession
Noomi Rapace is the female lead in the sequel, woo hoo.

K.Diddy
Noomi Rapace is the female lead in the sequel, woo hoo.

smokin' I have no idea how much this movie made,but I'm surprised it made enough money for them to do a sequel,I have spoke to very few people that have seen it

General_Iroh
I'm surprised so many people disliked it, I thought it was great and almost everyone I've talked to agreed.

MildPossession
It made more than it cost to make, so of course a sequel would come.

galina
Originally posted by jamesjack
Picturization of the movie is very good and interesting too

Yes,i agree with you that picturization of the movie is amazing as i had watch the trailer of sherlock holmes movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.