Red Dead Redemption

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
I liked the first game of this had plenty of action loved doing the quick-draw move

Heres the trailer for the second game

vUGssr41620

Morridini
I'm keeping an eye on this game.

The Western genre in general is way too underused (in gaming but also in movies and books), so it's nice to see some more. But also, being a Rockstar game, it has possibilities of being good.

jinXed by JaNx
I thought Red Dead Revolver was an incredibly fun game. It is also the only Western game that i think got it right with adapting the Western atmosphere into a video game. Shit, it's Rockstar, that's all i really need to hear in order to get excited. I love Rockstar. I haven't seen them make a bad game. Their games make such an impact on me. Those developers know how to create atmosphere. I can still remember every aspect of, The Warriors, Bully and Red Dead Revolver like i just finished playing them.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Morridini

The Western genre in general is way too underused (but also in movies and books),.

You sure about that ?

because theres a ton of Western Movies out there and books i suppose you don't get them in Norway

The only other good Western game i remember playing and liking was GUN from Neversoft.

Morridini
Originally posted by Kazenji
You sure about that ?

because theres a ton of Western Movies out there and books i suppose you don't get them in Norway

Yeah I am sure, I don't keep myself limited to whats available in Norway.

Dagarkin
This game is gonna kick so much ass. You can "break" horses in, rob trains, join a outlaw gang. The map is supposed to be around GTA sized.

Kazenji
Yeah I am sure, I don't keep myself limited to whats available in Norway.

Because when it comes to the Western genre movies theres like a ton of John Wayne movies and many other ones.

Morridini
Because when it comes to the Western genre movies theres like a ton of John Wayne movies and many other ones.

But those are old, we're talking about today. post 2000.

Kazenji
Whats being old got to do with it they're still watchable.

jinXed by JaNx
I don't know that i'd consider John Wayne movies watchable stick out tongue

Kazenji
Like i said "and many other ones"

anyway back to talking about this game.

Morridini
New trailer, looked very good:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/my-name-red-dead/59560

Kazenji
New trailer

_sU0PwzdMiY

Morridini
Indeed, HD verison posted right over you.

Phanteros
Red dead revolver was awesome game so I expect the same for this.

also Gun needs to be brought back.

Morridini
New cool video showing us a lot of new stuff: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-series-red-dead/59977

AsbestosFlaygon
I've added this on my wantlist

Kazenji
The Women of Red Dead Redemption

MQ4z3K48LWE

KingD19
This game is sexy.

jinXed by JaNx
it certainly appears to be. I really can't wait. I really like the idea of being able to freely take up bounties and choosing weather or not you are going to bring the subject in dead or alive.

Bladewind
Certainly going to try to get this game.

Zack Fair
looks fun

Kazenji
Revolution trailer highlighting the rebel Mexican uprising that John Marston finds himself caught up in during his journey to Nuevo Paraiso.

VDhS8U1OJww

The Nuul
Looks intresting!

Slay
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I love Rockstar. I haven't seen them make a bad game.
State of Emergency port to XBox? Played like shit.

However, usually they do make great games, but I don't know if I'll get it as I'm a bit short on cash and I still want to get UFC Undisputed 2010, Mafia 2 and LA Noire... Probably loan it from a friend or something because I was really excited for it. Hoping this game will be everything I expected Gun to be.

Spidervlad
Going to order this off Gamefly tommorow. Can't wait!

KingD19
Originally posted by Slay
State of Emergency port to XBox? Played like shit.

However, usually they do make great games, but I don't know if I'll get it as I'm a bit short on cash and I still want to get UFC Undisputed 2010, Mafia 2 and LA Noire... Probably loan it from a friend or something because I was really excited for it. Hoping this game will be everything I expected Gun to be.

You act like Mafia 2 and L.A. Noire are coming out any time soon, lol.

OB1-adobe
it just got 9.7 from IGN

junstree
Yeah this game looks great.

I order it at amazon..and get a $20 Video Games Credit

And I Saw that the IGN SCORE for it is 9.7
http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/143/14320288.html

Kazenji
Even Jason Aaronn (writer of Wolverine, Ghost Rider and Punisher) is impressed by it

FistOfThe North
game of the year nominee, if not winner, right here. i just finished putting in about 10hrs. since i got it a couple of days ago and man o man i'll have to say that this game has got to be best old western game ever made in the history of old western style video games.

in 10 hrs. red dead redemption has enveloped me into the old west lifestyle more any other medium has ever.

i mean the game completely immerses you into the culture and the lifestyle so flawlessly and beautifully that it's not even funny.

you not only shoot 'em up as a lone cowboy/rebel. you do things that cowboys may've done at the time. i got to play no limit texas hold 'em poker at a saloon, i got into a bar fight with 3 hoodlems, broken tables and all, with the pianoman still keying, followed by 2 shots of tequila afterwards, then bed. went to a moviehouse and watch a silent film, i herded cattle, rode on horseback at full speed by locomotives just to mess around and race the train as the sun sets behind me over a hilly prairie. i've hunted, on foot and horseback, big horn, skunk, wild horses, coyotes, wolves and collected their hides and meat for sale, i was hired to help shoot rabbits destroying crop. the games amazing. it's the best old western experience any medium has offered ever, imo. i've yet to see a lasso but maybe that'll come later. i love the guitar, whistle and harmonica beats that lazyly, sporadically but continually play throughout the game.

so far the game gets a 9/10. riding with the horse can get aggravating at times especially when you wanna turn while its just trotting.

story's very good as well.

Slay
Originally posted by KingD19
You act like Mafia 2 and L.A. Noire are coming out any time soon, lol.
Well, I've become quite the casual gamer. And I think UFC 2010 and FIFA 10 will be able to put me through until then.

Impediment
Grand Theft Horse?

I dunno.

Sin_Volvagia
GTA Wild West? Is it really like that?

I don't mind sandbox gameplay but if it's really a GTA clone, I'm calling it overrated.

FistOfThe North
maybe call it grand theft stage coach. but the whole game is so western and so periodic and beautiful you'll forget you're playing a grand theft auto type of game.

this game makes you forget that gta existed. it definetely looks better that gta as well. the games sun rays are the realest looking i've ever seen in video games history. even over crysis' sun.

i highly recommend this game. i went over to my friends to show it to him today and he was just dumbfounded.

Ms.Marvel
theres no such thing as a gta clone

Smasandian
Well, I agree that I see GTA4 in this game due to engine the game uses, everything from shooting, gunplay, and how the create walks.

But I do agree with FOTN that Red Dead Redemption is its own seperate game.

I'm having fun a bit but its Rockstar tradition to explain the game in the first 3 hours.

jinXed by JaNx
I've been playing this game for a couple days now and i'm still amazed by the graphics. The graphics for the characters are nothing special but the environment is stunning.I'm also impressed with the frame rate of the game. Other than a few laggy moments online i havent experienced any slow down. The multiplayer was a lot of fun for the first couple days and although it seems to be a step in the right direction towards an MMO on consoles it becomes rather boring very quickly. The single player, however, is great.

Smasandian
I've gotten some frame rate issues in certain parts. Nothing ground shattering but there is.

I'm loving the game. It's much better than GTA4. The minigames are awesome. Instead of shitty darts, you get poker, horseshoes and dice. I've already played 2 hours of poker just because of the cheating aspect. I love it.

Horseshoes is also great. I suck at it but its fun for a bit.

The only problem I have is the controls. They're generally not very good. Shooting is spot on due to the helpful auto-aim but going into cover is horrible. Also, is the inability to quickly aim behind you. It's so annoying, especially if your riding a horse and people are chasing you. Having a separate button for that purpose would be great.

Another problem with the control is the gun radial menu. You hit LB to bring it up, then instead of the Left Control stick, its the right. It doesn't sound bad right now but I've been wrestling it for days.

jinXed by JaNx
Oh yeah, if enemies get behind you it's over. The controls and character movements do feel a bit clunky but it's nothing game breaking for me.

Phanteros
nevermind

FistOfThe North
this games got me watching nothing but westerns now. i googled top 10 best westerns, top ten modern westerns and top 10 john wayne westerns and got them. i've seen a few already. it amps you up to play after watching the movies as well. just finished watching appaloosa. great movie. next up hondo, tombstone, unforgiven, and the assasination of jesse james by the coward robert ford.

i've never had a game get me into movie genres like this before. i'm mean have watched westerns but this game has just made then even more interesting to watch for me.

can't wait to play, too.

Smasandian
The only two Westerns that need to be watched is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and The Searchers.

Sin_Volvagia
If the game is this good, I'll put on my list. I really like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and enjoyed playing Wild Guns and Sunset Riders (it's Contra with a Wild West setting).

FistOfThe North
the searchers, yea. i've that one. i've yet to watch it. isn't it considered the best western film of all time?

but there are really good westerns beside those two, of course, like 3:10 to Yuma . Unforgiven was good. i remember it winning best picture and best director. and gene hackman won for best supporting actor. The Shootist i hear was really good.

both those movie you mentioned are good, but there are other really good westerns out there too.

Smasandian
The Searchers is considered the best western of all time. It's pretty damn good and considering what time period it was made in, pretty damn crazy.

FistOfThe North
Red Dead Redemption Animated Film Coming This Weekend

Fox is broadcasting a 30-minute animated Red Dead Redemption film this weekend, a prequel to the videogame that launches the tale of reformed outlaw John Marston.

The Red Dead Redemption animated film will air at midnight ET/PT on May 29 and viewer discretion, as you may have guessed, is advised.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100935-Red-Dead-Redemption-Animated-Film-Coming-This-Weekend

yea, i'll be watching that.

Smasandian
Cool, I'll check it out.

Bladewind
Shit Rockstar!!! Hurry up and make a version for PC!!! frusty

FistOfThe North
damn, i missed the 'toon. anyone watch it? was it any good?

Smasandian
Nope.

I forgot another good Western. Open Range. I know it has Costner in it but it's really good. The last shootout is one of the best Western shoot outs there is.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Sin_Volvagia
If the game is this good, I'll put on my list. I really like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and enjoyed playing Wild Guns and Sunset Riders (it's Contra with a Wild West setting).

It's good. Excellent in fact.

You can kick chickens, or so I've heard 313

Phanteros
I watch the mini film they aired on fox. It got me thinking: what if they made shows like this?

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Smasandian
The only two Westerns that need to be watched is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and The Searchers.

Come on now...,Fistful of of Dollars, There will be Blood, Legends of the Fall, young Guns...,duuuude

Smasandian
Fistful of Dollars is good but not as good as the sequel Good...etc.etc.

There will Be Blood is a fantastic film but its not a Western and the last two are shit.

MooCowofJustice
On the topic of Westerns, True Grit may not be the best, but it is certainly a good movie.

jinXed by JaNx
Fistful of Dollars is good but not as good as the sequel Good...etc.etc.

There will Be Blood is a fantastic film but its not a Western and the last two are shit.

What? Shit.., laughing out loud I can understand you calling, young Guns shit..,but Legends of the Fall..,well, that's just silly. You may not like it but it's a very well made and engaging movie, man.Although, I'll concede and meet you in the middle and remove these two. Young guns is just fun and you know it stick out tongue

There will be blood is most certainly a Western. I just mentioned Fistful of Dollars because it's the, man with no name series...,they're all good. I could also have mentioned, Unforgiven but i thought that one was to easy. Lets revise the List,

Unforgiven
Fistful of Dollars
For a few dollars more
The good the bad and the Ugly
The Wild Bunch
The Searchers
There will be Blood
Little big man
Butch cassidy and the sundance kid
3;10 to Yuma (yes i do mean the remake)
Tombstone
The assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford

See, there are quite a few, great Western movies out there

Smasandian
There Will Be Blood is definitly not a Western.

It's about an old tycoon and how much he hates life. It might look like a Western but no way does Red Dead Redemption use it as any sort of influence.

jinXed by JaNx
There Will Be Blood is definitly not a Western.

It's about an old tycoon and how much he hates life. It might look like a Western but no way does Red Dead Redemption use it as any sort of influence.

I never implied that it had any influence in the making of, Red Dead Redemption and i have no idea how you got that idea. I was simply saying that there are many more great Westerns other than just, The Searchers and The good the bad and the ugly.This list below Was mentioned to reinforce and give my point substance

Unforgiven
Fistful of Dollars
For a few dollars more
The Wild Bunch
The Searchers
There will be Blood
Little big man
Tombstone

I'm sorry that i had to explain this to you because i thought could have understood my very clear point

And YES, There will be blood, is a Western. It may not be a Western when compared to the stereotypical Spaghetti and John Wayne style movies, but it's certainly a Western. It takes place in the West and tells the story of a Western man dealing with Western issues in that historical time. It is probably more of a Western than any of the Sergio leone films.

Smasandian
I never implied that it had any influence in the making of, Red Dead Redemption and i have no idea how you got that idea. I was simply saying that there are many more great Westerns other than just, The Searchers and The good the bad and the ugly.This list below Was mentioned to reinforce and give my point substance

Unforgiven
Fistful of Dollars
For a few dollars more
The Wild Bunch
The Searchers
There will be Blood
Little big man
Tombstone

I'm sorry that i had to explain this to you because i thought could have understood my very clear point

And YES, There will be blood, is a Western. It may not be a Western when compared to the stereotypical Spaghetti and John Wayne style movies, but it's certainly a Western. It takes place in the West and tells the story of a Western man dealing with Western issues in that historical time. It is probably more of a Western than any of the Sergio leone films.

I understood your point. My point was the if you wanted to watch a Western after playing Red Dead Redemption, you wouldn't watch There Will Be Blood because it has nothing in common. (This is how the whole conversation started)

aarenlainey
I have played this game and I must say its really a great game. Single player and multi player both astoundingly fun. Graphics are also very nice. I enjoyed it more than GTA games so this might satisfy my horse riding games hunger.

Kazenji
The multiplayer levels looks too cluttered from what i've seen.

Smasandian
I found a huge bug in this game.

On the Master Hunter challenge 8 I think, where you need 5 raccoons, 5 foxes and 5 skunks, I got all of them and it didn't work.

So I know have like 15 raccoon pelts, 8 skunks and 5 foxes. Bah!

Phanteros
Is there a patach that fix that?

anyway I saw the ending of the game by at on youtube out of curiousity and it was breath taking keeping this spoiler free)....

Smasandian
Actually, I misunderstood the challange.

I still have to get a few more foxes because I thought the wording meant that whatever pelts you had were included.

FistOfThe North
i'm watching "the searchers" right now. the assasination of jesse james with brad pitt has been he one i like the most as of late. especially that ending. like the last 20 min was just so well done.

it's the best ending for a western i've ever seen. and it was a true, historically acurate ending too.

Smasandian
Hopefully you liked it.

I finally finished all the challenges. Took awhile.

I hate how I was looking for an animal and finally found it, then a minutes later 15 of them started running around.

jinXed by JaNx
I understood your point. My point was the if you wanted to watch a Western after playing Red Dead Redemption, you wouldn't watch There Will Be Blood because it has nothing in common. (This is how the whole conversation started)

I was talking about great Western movies in general just as everyone else was confused but..,ok. It's still a Western. stick out tongue

Morridini
I hate how I was looking for an animal and finally found it, then a minutes later 15 of them started running around.

Sounds GTA-ich, you find this extremely rare and cool car, and the moment you start driving it every third car you encounter happens to be like it.

Smasandian
Yeah, I hated it.

But there was a few times where I killed a bear, then 5 showed up in a row.

rabidd909

The only other good Western game i remember playing and liking was GUN from Neversoft.

you didn't enjoy "Call of Juarez"? Am I the only one who loved those games?

anyways, can't wait to get my hands on RDR

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by rabidd909
you didn't enjoy "Call of Juarez"? Am I the only one who loved those games?

anyways, can't wait to get my hands on RDR

The first Call of Juarez was atrocious but the sequel is actually a damn fine game. You'll love RdR

rabidd909
The first Call of Juarez was atrocious but the sequel is actually a damn fine game. You'll love RdR

the first one did fall a bit short of my expectations but I still love the series wholeheartedly.

I'm saving every spare dollar to get enough to pick RdR up. stick out tongue

Mairuzu
Hopefully you liked it.

I finally finished all the challenges. Took awhile.

I hate how I was looking for an animal and finally found it, then a minutes later 15 of them started running around. Lol, that's life.

This game is beautiful.

Smasandian
Yeah, life sucks. Especially being able to hold off 20 guys.

Morridini
Still a huge shortage of this game in scandinavia, been trying to get it for a couple of weeks now, still sold out.

Mairuzu
I like taking my time with this game. Seems pretty realistic, the feel of it at least.

I like just roaming around at night hearing what random campfire people have to say.

I went to go see a movie inside armadillo, i believe. It was pretty interesting haha.

LanceWindu
I'm buying this in a couple weeks when I have the cash.

dev10n
Yeah, I hated it.

But there was a few times where I killed a bear, then 5 showed up in a row. same here i take 10 mins to find 1 bear i kill it skin it turn around then bam... NINJA BEAR KILLS ME

Quincy
I have this. Ps3. Let's play

Barker
bimp

Bought this for $15 on the weekend.. still gathering machine gun stuff with Seth and Irish.

Loving it.

Smasandian
Yeah, I loved that game. I kind of wish I didn't trade it in.

the ninjak
Great game. Shame the online mode was so crap.

Morridini
Originally posted by the ninjak
Great game. Shame the online mode was so crap.

Except it wasn't...

the ninjak
Except it wasn't...

Fair enough but whenever I tried it out it was difficult to find populated servers. And the few times I found decent ones the game lacked the fun factor of a basic GTA4 multiplayer game.

Morridini
Latecomer?

The multiplayer servers were packed back in the day when I played, and when they added those "story" missions in the multiplayer it just got even better (also the Games addon was awesome, but player activity had sadly dropped a lot by then. Six player Liars Dice was ****ings awesome).

Kazenji
Got this game laying around and still yet to put it in

yeah i know that criminal.

the ninjak
Latecomer?

The multiplayer servers were packed back in the day when I played, and when they added those "story" missions in the multiplayer it just got even better (also the Games addon was awesome, but player activity had sadly dropped a lot by then. Six player Liars Dice was ****ings awesome).

Yeah I played it around 8 months after its release and it was dead.
My roommate and I tried often to have a go at it because we loved the single-player and were interesting in the layout.

But only rarely could we find players. Must've chosen a bad time I guess.

Arachnid1
http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/5/12099272/red-dead-redemption-backward-compatibility-xbox-one

This will finally be backwards compatible this Friday.

Impediment
I really need to play this game. I've heard many great things about it.

Smasandian
It's an awesome game. I was fully invested into everything that the game had provided including the story.

Even though GTAV might be a "superior" game, I think I liked Red Dead Redemption a lot more.

Impediment
I bought the GOTY edition on PS3 and I am in love with this game. I can't believe it took me this long to finally play it.

I'm trying my best to be honorable and good, as opposed to being a murdering outlaw. I'm currently doing side missions and hunting to earn money.

Adam Grimes
Lucky mofo, I wish I could experience it again for the first time. It may very well be my favorite game of all time.

Kazenji
Xbox One may have Red Dead but the PS4 has The Warriors for backwards compatibilty

but i'm sure Red Dead is only a timed exclusive.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Lucky mofo, I wish I could experience it again for the first time. It may very well be my favorite game of all time. thumb up

Originally posted by Impediment
I bought the GOTY edition on PS3 and I am in love with this game. I can't believe it took me this long to finally play it.

I'm trying my best to be honorable and good, as opposed to being a murdering outlaw. I'm currently doing side missions and hunting to earn money. Yeah, the side missions are an amazing part of the game. RDR is good because one playthrough you can be a good little angel and the next you can be a murdering outlaw. The latter is pretty fun, tbh.

Smasandian
Xbox One may have Red Dead but the PS4 has The Warriors for backwards compatibilty

but i'm sure Red Dead is only a timed exclusive.

Red Dead Redemption is not an timed exclusive. I'm not sure why you would think that.

The PS4 cannot do native PS3 games. However, it can play PS2 games, which The Warriors is.

Impediment
I just finished the assault on Fort Mercer with the machine gun and now I'm about to go into Mexico.

This game is f*cking amazing.

Impediment
The "Far Away" song moment really was an amazing segment of the game.

KingD19
Well just wait until you play the zombie DLC.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by KingD19
Well just wait until you play the zombie DLC. smile

Impediment
How long does the majority of the main campaign take to complete?

I can't wait to play the Undead DLC. I saw a video a few years back of John hunting down all of the Sasquatch and I was all eek!

KingD19
Depends on how much of a completionist/perfectionist you are. I'll give you a base 20-30 solid hours and don't try to rush it, maybe less if you just do nothing but story missions and ignore all the sidequests, hunting, poker, bounty hunting, etc, etc, etc... Doing all of it though, or even a good chunk of it? A looot longer. Lol

On top of the sasquatches, you get "special" horses.

Kazenji

The PS4 cannot do native PS3 games. However, it can play PS2 games, which The Warriors is.

And the Red Dead Redemption version the Xbox one has isn't the original version, It takes advantage of the new hardware.

Kazenji
Also anything is possible in the future for the PS4 to go with the PS3 emulation i suppose.

Smasandian
No it doesn't. The Xbox One version is a emulation. You are literally playing the 360 version on Xbox One when you run it. It doesn't take advantages of the new hardware aside from a more consistent 30FPS. But it's not like Rockstar or Microsoft did anything to get it to be more consistent.

Who knows if Sony figures out how to get PS3 games on PS4 but I highly doubt they will. Both consoles are completely different.

|King Joker|
To get the most out of RDR you should really complete the main story as much as possible.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.