Star Trek vs TNG movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Nuul
Which movies are better?

The Wrath of Khan
The Search for Spock
The Voyage Home
The Final Frontier
The Undiscovered Country

vs

Generations
First Contact
Insurrection
Nemesis

Jedireaper
First Contact and The Undiscovered Country are equal in my mind. However I like them all so... neutral.

Raoul
imo, First Contact is as good as any of the TOS movies. Generations aint bad either, but Insurrection and Nemesis were just bad. Real bad.

TOS movies have Wrath of Kahn and Undiscovered County, two of the finest Star Trek movies. Voyage Home is lots of fun too.

TOS, but by the slimmest of margins...

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Raoul
imo, First Contact is as good as any of the TOS movies. Generations aint bad either, but Insurrection and Nemesis were just bad. Real bad.

TOS movies have Wrath of Kahn and Undiscovered County, two of the finest Star Trek movies. Voyage Home is lots of fun too.

agreed

Dr Will Hatch
Wrath of Khan and First Contact own all the other movies by a large degree, including the new one.

darthmaul1
The originals are better by far
but here is the order best to worse
Wrath of Khan
Undiscovered country
star trek
first contact
voyage home
search for spock
motion picture
V VII IX AND X don't even exist to me. and kirk is still alive or we don't know how he died.

roughrider
The original series has the edge. The only real clunker was The Final Frontier.

While the latter series, only First Contact is a complete success. The other three are mixed bags to bad.

Jedireaper
I liked Nemesis though, it WAS a good movie. And the Data Picard moments were really well done. I liked Jerry Goldsmiths score too...

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Jedireaper
I liked Nemesis though, it WAS a good movie. And the Data Picard moments were really well done. I liked Jerry Goldsmiths score too...

In my opinion Nemisis was crap, they totally disregarded the prime directive, and that crap with the new Data it was just that crap.
Then he dies, but there is a replacement so you don't care.
They could of gone for a death like spock and kill of Data with no replacement on hand. that would of been much more emotional and meaningful. but since they have the replacement you don't care.

Raoul
B4 isn't Data. He isn't a ready made replacement, and for all intents and purposes, Data is dead.

Nemesis sucked, though.

BruceSkywalker
B4 isn't Data. He isn't a ready made replacement, and for all intents and purposes, Data is dead.

Nemesis sucked, though.

Yeah Nemesis is truly the worst Trek film

Ace of Knaves
Originally posted by The Nuul
Which movies are better?

The Wrath of Khan
The Search for Spock
The Voyage Home
The Final Frontier
The Undiscovered Country

vs

Generations
First Contact
Insurrection
Nemesis

It's 6 to 4, including The Motion Picture, so TOS has an advantage.

My favorite OS movies are Undiscovered Country and Voyage Home. I liked Wrath of Khan, it just isn't the one I reach for when I feel like watching a Star Trek movie. 9 times out of 10 I'll watch Undiscovered Country, First Contact or Voyage Home. But, I actually watch the OS and TNG episodes more than any of the movies.

Where are we putting this latest film? It's original series, but it's original series Beta with an elderly Spock from Original Series Alpha wandering around repopulating the galaxy with little Alpha Spocks so they can run into little Beta Spocks at some point in the future when the next director decided to totally reboot the series. See, the next movie will be much, much better.

CadoAngelus

I like all the star trek films (apart from Motion Picture *vomits*). With TOS, Wrath of Khan was the best i think, because not only do they bring back a brutal character, but they make him ten times more brutal...

as for TNG, First Contact...the Borg are the best alien TNG has ever seen. And it brought a darker side to the universe :P.

I kinda liked Nemesis, only disappointments: Data's Death, Trying to replace Data, Prof. X getting killed (wait...that was X-Men dontgetit. Patrick Stewart you sly dog sly), and the script writers total lack of Star Trek knowledge other than; TNG had these people in it...

I never took to Insurrection at first either, until a couple years back. I kinda like it now.

Raoul
Originally posted by CadoAngelus
I like all the star trek films (apart from Motion Picture *vomits*). With TOS, Wrath of Khan was the best i think, because not only do they bring back a brutal character, but they make him ten times more brutal...

as for TNG, First Contact...the Borg are the best alien TNG has ever seen. And it brought a darker side to the universe :P.

I kinda liked Nemesis, only disappointments: Data's Death, Trying to replace Data, Prof. X getting killed (wait...that was X-Men dontgetit. Patrick Stewart you sly dog sly), and the script writers total lack of Star Trek knowledge other than; TNG had these people in it...

I never took to Insurrection at first either, until a couple years back. I kinda like it now.

I agree about Nemesis. It's almost "un-trekl-like" at times.

and yeah, i hated that they got rid of data...

insurrection, to me, isn't as bad as nemesis, but it's like watching an episode of TNG that just lasts longer than an episode should...

darthmaul1

Why would you vomit at the motion picutre?? although it was boring as all hell in places it is a very good story and better than 5 7 9 and 10 put together. i do admit if i can't sleep i pop this in the DVD and im out in 5 minutes.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Why would you vomit at the motion picutre?? although it was boring as all hell in places it is a very good story and better than 5 7 9 and 10 put together. i do admit if i can't sleep i pop this in the DVD and im out in 5 minutes.

lol

it's boredom induced vomiting.

and most of the odd numbered films did badly, it's a curse with movie makers when it comes to star trek. the odd number curse...they generally turn out to be bad films

lord xyz
lol

it's boredom induced vomiting.

and most of the odd numbered films did badly, it's a curse with movie makers when it comes to star trek. the odd number curse...they generally turn out to be bad films Cept the eleventh. No on'es criticised that one.

Sadako of Girth

insurrection, to me, isn't as bad as nemesis, but it's like watching an episode of TNG that just lasts longer than an episode should...

"Lock and load".

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by lord xyz
Cept the eleventh. No on'es criticised that one.

maybe not here much...but people have (but only like the extremely devout TOS fans...)...

but i think the reason that this 'odd number' film was mainly successful is because it's a completely new concept...Abrams has basically taken Star Trek, and kept the bits that make it acceptable to call it Star Trek still and built something around that

dadudemon
I agree about Nemesis. It's almost "un-trekl-like" at times.

and yeah, i hated that they got rid of data...

I did not like what Nemesis did with Data, either. However, he is back in EU sources. B4 ceased to exist and became Data. Still, one of the stupidest things ever done.

And what's wrong with it being like a really long episode! mad mad mad mad lol

Raoul
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
"Lock and load".

yeah. sad

Originally posted by dadudemon
I did not like what Nemesis did with Data, either. However, he is back in EU sources. B4 ceased to exist and became Data. Still, one of the stupidest things ever done.

And what's wrong with it being like a really long episode! mad mad mad mad lol

killing data was more poorly executed then kirk's, imo. and the enteprise d looked gorgeous on the big screen. it also had a spiffy new bridge. for those and those alone, Generations > Nemesis imo.

lol.

the problem i had is that the Federation wasn't at stake. there was no huge plot point, for me...

PRAYERRUN
Honestly, I liked them all. I thought Generations was pretty good. I've only seen insurrection once or twice, though. The last 2 TNG movies were really good.

Hegemon875
I much prefer TNG series but the original movies blow away the TNG ones. Although First Contact is my number one.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by PRAYERRUN
Honestly, I liked them all. I thought Generations was pretty good. I've only seen insurrection once or twice, though. The last 2 TNG movies were really good.

Wow a trekkie who smokes Crack!!!
Generations sucked, Kirks death was lame and the story was lame (the scientist could of just sat in a space suit and waited for the ribbon to hit him.
Insurection sucked too, plot holes, and a nintendo joystick to control the ship
nemipenis mega sucked, "Oh look we found another data on some other planet what a crock!" and his death was stupid cause they now have a replacement. so who cares.

CadoAngelus
i agree with nemesis, it was a horrible and very disappointing move to make to kill off data, and the director should be shot...

however, i found generations a nice beginning to the future of TNG (except for kirks death) and insurrection - like's been mentioned before - is much like a 2hour episode...

first contact must be loved be everyone because no criticism has been throw its way...and to be honest, it's my favorite TNG film and my second favorite star trek film overall - first being Wrath of Khan.

darthmaul1
i agree with nemesis, it was a horrible and very disappointing move to make to kill off data, and the director should be shot...

however, i found generations a nice beginning to the future of TNG (except for kirks death) and insurrection - like's been mentioned before - is much like a 2hour episode...

first contact must be loved be everyone because no criticism has been throw its way...and to be honest, it's my favorite TNG film and my second favorite star trek film overall - first being Wrath of Khan.

Generations was another one where they throw in picards family that you only saw once!!! and you are suppose to feel bad for the guy and at the end he is looking for his photo album and that was the only thing that mattered!!!! it would of been much better if he was trying to find his flute that he played in a whole life time that one episode and played it a few more times in after that, that would of held more meaning than what they did.

like you Wrath of Khan is still the best
Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqQmfCOGmFU

Wrath of Khan
Undiscovered country
star trek
first contact
voyage home
search for spock
motion picture
V VII IX AND X don't even exist to me. and kirk is still alive or we don't know how he died.

Raoul
Generations was another one where they throw in picards family that you only saw once!!! and you are suppose to feel bad for the guy and at the end he is looking for his photo album and that was the only thing that mattered!!!! it would of been much better if he was trying to find his flute that he played in a whole life time that one episode and played it a few more times in after that, that would of held more meaning than what they did.

like you Wrath of Khan is still the best
Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqQmfCOGmFU

Wrath of Khan
Undiscovered country
star trek
first contact
voyage home
search for spock
motion picture

it was the family of the guy we'd gotten to know for seven years. regardless of whether we knew his family well, he did, and it affected him.

also, soran couldn't have just let the ribbon hit him. it wrecked ships, and probably would have wrecked his suit too.

CadoAngelus
it was the family of the guy we'd gotten to know for seven years. regardless of whether we knew his family well, he did, and it affected him.

also, soran couldn't have just let the ribbon hit him. it wrecked ships, and probably would have wrecked his suit too.

Star Trek work in mysterious ways lol

HAHA! "i've got three words for you, Wrath of Khan" epic

darthmaul1

But the audience has to have some sort of connection to what he has lost in order to feel bad for the guy.
Like Kirk losing Spock and his son you felt very sad.

Doubt it would of wrecked his suit, or if it did, he would of been in the nexus when before he died, just like Kirk getting blown out into space and into the nexus.

Vjer
Hey, you're vomiting on my control panel; now how will I "join with the Creator?" The Motion Picture has to have a special place because it set up all subsequent Trek movies to be special effects extravaganzas...

lord xyz
TNG films are horrible.

Picard, the shakespeare loving old fashioned guy is some sort of nutcase who's only out to break rules and fight the bad guy.

Nothing makes sense and is completely incosistent with the series and is only out because they think the audience will love action based films, even though action doesn't make a film good.

The original films had character development as well as other things.

btw, First Contact sucks.

-Pr-
But the audience has to have some sort of connection to what he has lost in order to feel bad for the guy.
Like Kirk losing Spock and his son you felt very sad.

Doubt it would of wrecked his suit, or if it did, he would of been in the nexus when before he died, just like Kirk getting blown out into space and into the nexus.

and if you'd watched the episode "family" then you would have.

i don't remember if it was ever fully explained.

TNG films are horrible.

Picard, the shakespeare loving old fashioned guy is some sort of nutcase who's only out to break rules and fight the bad guy.

Nothing makes sense and is completely incosistent with the series and is only out because they think the audience will love action based films, even though action doesn't make a film good.

The original films had character development as well as other things.

btw, First Contact sucks.

picard grew steadily throughout the seasons to become a more action oriented captain. episodes like captain's holiday, gambit and chain of command support that.

plus, the borg had violated him. it would have taken a very, very laid back man not to want revenge for what had happened to him...

lord xyz
It's not the action I'm griping at, it's the unsophisticated rule breaker that is "movie picard".

That scene in Nemesis where he does the doombuggy chase, I get Patrick Stewart loves cars, but Jean-Luc Picard is not Patrick Stewart.

Look up "I am not Spock".

-Pr-
It's not the action I'm griping at, it's the unsophisticated rule breaker that is "movie picard".

That scene in Nemesis where he does the doombuggy chase, I get Patrick Stewart loves cars, but Jean-Luc Picard is not Patrick Stewart.

Look up "I am not Spock".

nemesis was a mess, though, and in no way has any bearing on how good generations and first contact might have been...

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by -Pr-
nemesis was a mess, though, and in no way has any bearing on how good generations and first contact might have been...

from what i understand, the director of Nemesis knew little or nothing about Star Trek in actuality. He just wrote a story and the cast said it looked good...

-Pr-
from what i understand, the director of Nemesis knew little or nothing about Star Trek in actuality. He just wrote a story and the cast said it looked good...

pretty much.

jaden101

By 2002 (when Nemesis came out) most of the Next Generation cast hadn't had any work beyond the other sporadic NG films. I think they'd say anything to get some work by that point.

steverules_2
Wrath of Khan had the real shocker ending when spock died

lord xyz
Interestingly, Nemesis is similar to Wrath of Kahn.

CadoAngelus
Holy crap...you just blew my mind

3Shelves
I loved TNG, but the original movies portrayed the characters much better. The originals had the moments between Kirk and Spock and McCoy that the TNG films didn't have.

darthmaul1
The originals are better by far
but here is the order best to worse
Wrath of Khan
Undiscovered country
star trek
first contact
voyage home
search for spock
motion picture

TOS crew had far better chemistry than TNG.

Pallas
No one loves TNG more than I do. I like TOS. I loved TNG. But TNG movies were JUST AWFUL!!!!!! The only one that came close was First Contact. Generations was a total let down. Kirk deserved better. The rest of their movies were just horrid. It made me ashamed to be a Star Trek fan.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.