Does proof exist?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Quark_666
at what point does everyone feel comfortable "knowing" something.

Symmetric Chaos
Once someone tells me it's true.

King Kandy
Depends on your standards.

Nephthys
Never.

Scythe
When she tells me her age.

Mindship
Originally posted by Quark_666
at what point does everyone feel comfortable "knowing" something. When I can depend on it...

...though when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought you were asking, "What is 'proof'?"

Bardock42
I accept scientific proof as true as I have seen it to work in what I perceive as my life. There's also smaller standards in day to day life, where I accept something as true easier, also based on previous experience.

Ace of Knaves

as soon as one realizes there is more to know?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Ace of Knaves
as soon as one realizes there is more to know?

Instantly and all the time?

Quark_666
Originally posted by Mindship
When I can depend on it...

...though when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought you were asking, "What is 'proof'?"
I suppose it's hard to say what I'm asking. Reason I ask though....
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=395966&pagenumber=60

Quark_666
Originally posted by Scythe
When she tells me her age. cool

Ace of Knaves
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Instantly and all the time?

One has to consume the information, so I wouldn't say instantly.

lord xyz
at what point does everyone feel comfortable "knowing" something. You know something is true when the outcome is precise and consistent, through an unbiased method.

occultdestroyer
When I/we can see it, then it's proof.

Wild Shadow
some one told me how can i believe that the world is round if i have never seen it from space or how do i know we even bn to space. i told him i use common sense. he said it was faith, i said look in a microscope and look at the satellites or the moon and sun to explain the likely hood of the earth being round. the guy was a fundamentalist.

the point is proof is subjective

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
When I/we can see it, then it's proof.

Does the world go away when you close your eyes?

Originally posted by Wild Shadow
some one told me how can i believe that the world is round if i have never seen it from space or how do i know we even bn to space. i told him i use common sense. he said it was faith, i said look in a microscope and look at the satellites or the moon and sun to explain the likely hood of the earth being round. the guy was a fundamentalist.

the point is proof is subjective

How on Earth does staring at a microscope or the sun prove the Earth is round?

Wild Shadow
Does the world go away when you close your eyes?

How on Earth does staring at a microscope or the sun prove the Earth is round?

oops i meant telescope my bad stick out tongue laughing

Mindship
Does the world go away when you close your eyes?For anyone who finds peek-a-boo endlessly entertaining, it does. big grin

The Scribe
I go back in my time machine and see it for myself. cool

Actually, there is proof and faith.

Even science can't prove everything.
So, they have to believe some things by faith. angel

jinXed by JaNx

I feel comfortable in knowing that i can never truly know anything. I've also become comfortable in knowing that there are no original thoughts.I try my best to simply be as genuine as possible and to not compromise my personality in the company of others. No matter how intimidating or attractive their perspectives and presences may be. It's here that i usually find my peace and understanding. That, along with my first statement, is pretty much all i can ever know and i'm comfortable with that.

lefroz
This is a case for the harder philosophies like philosophy of science and the paradox of Hempel's ravens. Hempel showed us that anything could prove any statement of logical equivalence. Most statements have a logical equivalent that encompasses a different set from itself and thus a differing set of objects etc. that count as corroboration. In Hempel's specific case, a white shoe is seen to be evidence for all raven's being black. With this in mind, yes proof exists, but is meaningless as everything is proof of everything else.

you get thorns
All it takes.....

inimalist
Originally posted by lefroz
This is a case for the harder philosophies like philosophy of science and the paradox of Hempel's ravens. Hempel showed us that anything could prove any statement of logical equivalence. Most statements have a logical equivalent that encompasses a different set from itself and thus a differing set of objects etc. that count as corroboration. In Hempel's specific case, a white shoe is seen to be evidence for all raven's being black. With this in mind, yes proof exists, but is meaningless as everything is proof of everything else.

luckily science doesn't rely on the logic of words to prove things

lefroz
Originally posted by inimalist
luckily science doesn't rely on the logic of words to prove things

One must not be so quick to discard the "logic of words" since logic is absolute. Science is consistently incorrect and goes through massive phases of self correction and modification. If there is a flaw behind the logic of science, there is a flaw in science as a way of knowing. Furthermore, science does and indeed can not "prove" anything for proof is a term that solely applies to logic and math because of the exact aforementioned logical restriction.

Symmetric Chaos
One must not be so quick to discard the "logic of words" since logic is absolute. Science is consistently incorrect and goes through massive phases of self correction and modification. If there is a flaw behind the logic of science, there is a flaw in science as a way of knowing. Furthermore, science does and indeed can not "prove" anything for proof is a term that solely applies to logic and math because of the exact aforementioned logical restriction.

Most of the things that can be proven absolutely aren't of much use anyway.

inimalist
One must not be so quick to discard the "logic of words" since logic is absolute.

correct me, but wasn't the first post I replied to a repudiation of formal logic, as the system allows one to prove anything from any set of clauses?

such as: a white shoe is seen to be evidence for all raven's being black.

Science is consistently incorrect and goes through massive phases of self correction and modification. If there is a flaw behind the logic of science, there is a flaw in science as a way of knowing.

describe the process of testing a hypothesis, svp?

Furthermore, science does and indeed can not "prove" anything for proof is a term that solely applies to logic and math because of the exact aforementioned logical restriction.

ah pedantic semantics, as terrible an intellectual endeavor as it is difficult to annunciate.

Dr Will Hatch
Pragmatically speaking, it doesn't make a difference if you can prove something beyond the shadow of a doubt. We have no way of really knowing anything other then that we exist, and what we can sense and experiment with around us.

inimalist
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Pragmatically speaking, it doesn't make a difference if you can prove something beyond the shadow of a doubt. We have no way of really knowing anything other then that we exist, and what we can sense and experiment with around us.

actually, sensory illusions show that our perception is highly subject to error.

Because of the distribution of touch receptors in your arm, for instance, I can touch you with 1 or 2 pencil shaped objects and you would not be able to tell. You would only ever experience being touched by one object unless I spaced them properly.

the traditional optical illusions also imply this.

As far as knowing we exist, that is also questionable. Modern neuroscience challenges the very idea of a "you" that you might refer to in such a statement. At the very least, even concepts with long standing philosophical traditions, like consciousness itself, might be found to be entire illusions (and dualism is already scientifically dead).

PENIS-ENVY
does exist exist?

you get thorns
Proof I say!

Thundar

When you know that that something exists...wink

Bentley
Proof doesn't exist, so I believe using a random function about what I feel, sounds like bullsh_t and whatnot.

SupermanAscends
Proofs are possible, as science has enough capacity to reveal answers for such desires of understanding. Study the information given and the proofs can be trackable. In science, there exists a lot of ideas about the human world. The human anatomy, if studied, can present some proofs.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.