May sound a little dumb: Which lightsaber form is closest to Ninjitsu?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Truculent
Ninja were some of the finest swordsmen in history so which form closest resembles Ninjitsu? teras kasi martial arts is a given so what form?

WO Polaski
ninja werent some of the finest swordsmen in history lol in fact normal swords such as katanas typically werent even apart of the ninjas typical equippment if i remember correctly.

Captain REX
Not really any of them, to be honest. They are not ninjas. Maybe Ataru, just because it is athletic and acrobatic.

icu311
In all reality, Ninja's were not great swordsmen, but relied on stealth and cunning to take out their enemies. If you are refering to how Ninja's are portrayed fighting in today's video games/movies/TV shows, then I really wouldn't know what lightsaber form would match that, but Ataru or Juyo would be closest due to their more agile and less frontal assault type nature.

BruceSkywalker
as someone who has trained in the warrior arts of the samurai and who loves reading about ninjas i 'd say that Ataru and Juyo come very close

Lord Lucien
You trained as a samurai? Is that you the man, or you the Batman?

jaden101
Ninjitsu isn't simply martial arts. It literally translates as "the skill of going unpercieved" or "the art of stealth". It involved stealth infiltration, assassination by various means (the most common being poisoning) espionage, theft and many other things. They were generally disgraced and dishonoured samurai.

So in terms of which lightsabre form is most like ninjitsu...None. If you mean specifically the typical sword fighting form then again it's none because the techniques of kendo used were heavily geared toward single strike kills. Many even focused solely on implementing a kill strike straight from the draw. The is no equivalent of this, at least to my knowledge, in any of the lightsabre forms.

Another major factor in the differences is that a lightsabre has no hilt/blade weight distribution that many real world sword techniques have to take into account. A lightsabre blade has no momentum when being swung as the blade has no weight.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
You trained as a samurai? Is that you the man, or you the Batman?

Yes I am The Batman.. big grin

Bust honesty I have trained in the martial arts for 35 years..

WO Polaski
Originally posted by jaden101
A lightsabre blade has no momentum when being swung as the blade has no weight.

this is incorrect.

jaden101
Originally posted by WO Polaski
this is incorrect.

From what source?

I know it's fallible but wooki states the following.

C. C. Cowgirl!
Given a Lightsaber is just a hilt and projected light, I can't imagine it is a lot more heavy than the hilt alone. Unless light weight mmm

kotorfan
it can still have momentum.

C. C. Cowgirl!
I was talking about the weight. Not the momentum.

jaden101
Originally posted by kotorfan
it can still have momentum.

If the blade is made of light then the blade can't have momentum as momentum requires mass. Which is related to my original point in that metal sword based techniques are built around the weight distribution of the sword blade and hilt (the pommel at the base of the hilt is vital) and take into account blade momentum.

WO Polaski
Originally posted by jaden101
From what source?

I know it's fallible but wooki states the following.

the various eu that wookie gets its info from.

luke uses kinetic force from the lightsaber to "chip away" at a wall of rock that was completely resistant to the lightsabers heat, dooku with his light-handed makashi form was getting tired from deflecting anakin's heavy-handed djem/so blows. weight can be transferred through the blade and it can be swung hard enough to knock people's weapons out of their hands and such, thus, it has some form of momentum.

Red Nemesis
thumb up

WO Polaski
the blade isnt made of light so it doesnt matter. eek!

though even if it were it wouldnt matter. blaster shoot "lasers" but the bolts dont move at the speed of light and they have mass. i will never understand why people try to employ real world science to starwars.

Red Nemesis
So then it is clear that they aren't lasers.

WO Polaski
or maybe they are lasers but light just follows different rules within the star wars universe.

sound waves can travel through a vacuum in the star wars universe as evidenced by TIE fighters. do we then assume that it isn't actually sound?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by WO Polaski
or maybe they are lasers but light just follows different rules within the star wars universe.

sound waves can travel through a vacuum in the star wars universe as evidenced by TIE fighters. do we then assume that it isn't actually sound? Sounds CAN be heard in space---provided you're inside the camera (i.e., the movie's audience).

Until a source comes along specifically saying that, in the Star Wars universe, energy has weight (making it matter), then a lightsaber blade has no weight.

Red Nemesis
Wrong. We have a sound effect over the images. Unless you think that Luke and Leia have bands following them around?

Nothing from the source material (the movies) suggests this and the EU openly contradicts it.

So no.

~:Mr.Anderson:~
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Wrong. We have a sound effect over the images. Unless you think that Luke and Leia have bands following them around?

symphonies!!!

1. They never actually shot in space. Its either a model or a cg. (not sure if i need to say that, but two things are infinite in life, the universe and human stupidity. I'm still not sure about the first one. That being said, nothing you see took place in a vacuum.

2. Sound cannot travel through a vacuum. In order for an ear or other oral device to receive the vibration, it has to have a medium to vibrate through. No medium, no sound. Vibrations are frictionless and therefor do not make sound in space.

3. The sound is there for interpretation, just like the term "light" when added to lightsaber. Things always get ****ed up when you try and apply science to science fiction. The entire set of movies is half wizardry/magic in storyline anyway, making it the kind of thing that can't be justified by science.

For instance: Have you ever seen a beam of light stop? Have you ever seen a beam of light stop at 4 feet? NO. light travels on for forever until it hits an object and dissipates. There is no way to make a four foot beam of light. Light also does not collide with other light. The whole concept of a lightsaber actually being made out of light is absurd. I just disproved the coolest weapon ever thought up by trying to apply scientific laws to it. Star wars is a phantasy, not a sci-fi. Want to try and explain the scientific rulesof a show/movie? Go watch star trek.

mattatom

Nothing from the source material (the movies) suggests this and the EU openly contradicts it.

So no.

This is why Blue Harvest (Family Guy Cover) Makes more sense.

As Luke introduces John Williams and his orchestra on that scene when he's watching the two suns on Tatooine.

SAENBR
Has it ever been definitively proven that sound cannot travel in space?

Red Nemesis
Sound waves are vibrations. Vibrations must vibrate something. Space is a vacuum. A vacuum has nothing to vibrate. Sound cannot travel in space.

SAENBR
Space is a vacuum.

The interwebs would disagree.

Contrary to popular understanding, outer space is not completely empty (i.e. a perfect vacuum), but contains a low density of particles, predominantly hydrogen plasma, as well as electromagnetic radiation and neutrinos. Hypothetically, it also contains dark matter and dark energy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mystery_monday_030922.html

Sound can travel through space, because space is not the total vacuum it's often made out to be. Atoms of gas give the universe a ubiquitous atmosphere of sorts, albeit a very thin one.

Space, though not as efficient, can also serve as a medium.

SAENBR
And the first piece of information came from wikipedia so we know it's legit.

Eminence
Why is there no "I" in "SAENBR?"

It bothers me.

Red Nemesis
There have been some terrific sci-fi stories about true vacuum. Srsly.

Sound will not travel in space because there are not particles for it to vibrate. The EM radiation does not vibrate for sound waves. Neutrinos sure as hell won't vibrate in that way. Any other particulates, even in a Nebula, would be insufficiently dense to transmit the sound waves.

SAENBR
I was hoping nobody would notice that...

edit - I mean, it was entirely intentional. SAENBR does not make mistakes!

Eminence
Make a new one plz. INSABER! REBASIN (lol: Reba-Sin, Re-Basin)!

DO it.

SAENBR
*Looks through Eminence's former usernames/predicts future Eminence names*

rock !!NAME CHANGE!! rock

Eminence
That was a jackass thing you did.

I'm impressed you pulled it off thoughRot.

Slash_KMC
Originally posted by Eminence
That was a jackass thing you did.

I'm impressed you pulled it off thoughRot.

I'm impressed you noticed the lack of 'I'. no expression

Srsly.

Hewhoknowsall
Ataru!

Or maybe Vapaad!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.