Final Fantasy XIV Online

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

S_D_J
just announced

Quincy
Good News for PS3 owners.

Me!

Mairuzu
played ff11 online for a long long time

had so much fun with it and my linkshell, so yea ill be getting this smile

wonder if there is a monthly fee again

SaTsuJiN
so is it a medieval era like 11?.. or are they going super high-tech a la FF7.. maybe even pretty and nature-esque like 10 ><.. so much to choose from

Neo Darkhalen
A style like 6's would be nice.

Mairuzu
looks exactly like final fantasy 11 online.. what are you talking about?

hell, i think there is even a galka in it. Probably the same vanadiel place

BpEykudFq84

Quincy
**** this looks awesome.

Wolverine2179
will this be on pc too? And when is it out?

It seriously looks a lot like FFXI.

Theres some galka looking guy and then theres that dude that looks like "aldo" from the opening intro in ffxi.

NemeBro
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
so is it a medieval era like 11?.. or are they going super high-tech a la FF7.. maybe even pretty and nature-esque like 10 ><.. so much to choose from "The game will take place in a new world called Eorzea, where the players will take part in mighty battles upon Airships."

Taken from the FF wiki.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV

Not really reliable but meh.

Wolverine2179
So what kind of setting is this? Medieval? High tech like XIII? Or very tropical like X?

NemeBro
Well it apparently has airships.

Quincy
Looks more like III to me.

Mairuzu
looks like a mix of ffxi and ffxii

Quincy
Mairuzu and I can have swashbuckling adventures now!

Neo Darkhalen
Because 13 main titles weren't enough, here comes FFXIV!

Wolverine2179
Interesting to note that the 5 playable races in FFXI will return in FFXIV.

S_D_J
Originally posted by NemeBro
Well it apparently has airships.

every FF has had airships 131

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Quincy
Mairuzu and I can have swashbuckling adventures now! hahah yea, **** wow!

Originally posted by Wolverine2179
Interesting to note that the 5 playable races in FFXI will return in FFXIV.

proof? would be awesome.

cept for tarutaru's... gosh, hated people who played them. annoying little kids

i was a mithra haha, bomb assss, i think i'll be human this time though, depending if there are other races

Quincy
I'll be a human.

When I Play games like this I try to make my character in my likeness.

Helps envelop me in the game.

Mairuzu
I try to do that, but damn, those cat chicks were hot as ****, and id rather stare at them run then some guy.

But the armor looked WAY better on human males then any character, so i got ****ed over in ff11 mmm

hated galkas and elvaans, too big and stupid looking.

I know ill be going paladin smile

as you can tell im excited as **** over this game

Quincy
Mairuzu's got a boner for the Cat-People.

Mairuzu
Mithra's, *****!

So quince, once we get this game, we're leveling together.

Wolverine2179
Originally posted by Mairuzu
hahah yea, **** wow!

proof? would be awesome.

cept for tarutaru's... gosh, hated people who played them. annoying little kids

i was a mithra haha, bomb assss, i think i'll be human this time though, depending if there are other races The ff wiki mentioned it, though it is unreliable the concept art does show taru's and elvaans.

Quincy
Mithra's, *****!

So quince, once we get this game, we're leveling together.

Hell yes we are you *******.

Mairuzu
really high, trying to figure out what it says...

S_D_J
FFXIV Q&A session

Note: read from bottom to top.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/990/990578p1.html

they didn't rule out a 360 version...

SaTsuJiN
Nice.. its interesting that they took alot of elements from Everquest and such... I wonder where they're going to draw inspiration for their new combat engine

and I hope its as interactive as XI, with skill chains and magic bursts

Quincy
We can be one big KMC Party.

Mairuzu
sex!

Quincy
Mairuzu's got a boner for the Cat-People.

ArtificialGlory
Even Square Enix can smell WoW money all the way from Japan.

So far confirmed on PS3 and PC.

Quincy
I hope it stays Exclusive to PS3. That'd be bonerific.

ArtificialGlory
I hope it stays Exclusive to PS3. That'd be bonerific.

Then consider your hopes and boner crushed. PS3 exclusive would've been baaaad for the business. MMO that is not on the PC? Bad idea.

Zack Fair
People need to start accepting the fact exclusives are pretty much dead. I've come to this conclusion and I'm at peace.

Anyways I might get this game if only because I didn't jump the FFXI bandwagon.

Mairuzu
there was a bandwagon? I played it because it was a whole new final fantasy experience, a great one at that. (Imo)

And i dont understand the point in exclusives...

i mean, id rather have more people playing then less... more parties!

S_D_J
there was a bandwagon? I played it because it was a whole new final fantasy experience, a great one at that. (Imo)

And i dont understand the point in exclusives...

i mean, id rather have more people playing then less... more parties!
more...
sex!

wink

NemeBro
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Even Square Enix can smell WoW money all the way from Japan.

So far confirmed on PS3 and PC. What does WoW have to do with it?

And Mairuzu brings up a good point. You should in this game be allowed to sex up other people's characters.

Mairuzu
It's obviously going to look far superior to WoW (Graphics wise)

hell, even ffxi did. (if you played it on a good pc/xbox360)

and yes, more sex wink

Wolverine2179
More sex with galka?

NemeBro
More sex with galka? I would prefer a Tarutaru.

Mairuzu
galka's aren't a gender and have no... gender parts

...the anus tho wink

Wolverine2179
Originally posted by NemeBro
I would prefer a Tarutaru. You love midgets don't cha.

Quincy
So is everyone in this thread going to get this game?

Wolverine2179
I will for sure on PC.

NemeBro
You love midgets don't cha. I prefer the term five year olds.

Peach
Just about everything is graphically superior to WoW.

Anyway, hmm. I got bored with FFXI very quickly and as a rule I'm not a huge fan of MMOs.

Might give this a try, though. On PC, of course. MMOs just do not work well on a console.

Mairuzu
I enjoyed Final fantasy on the ps3 quite well, i was able to maneuver better on those damn mountains you had to climb, where tiamat lives.

and i hate sitting at my comp, rather lay on my beds smile

Shutter Control
...14? Really? Ok. PS3 exclusive? Probably not for long. 313Originally posted by Peach
MMOs just do not work well on a console. PS3 can be the exception. Also I think the server quality is just dependant on whoever hosts it.

Peach
It's nothing to do with the server quality or anything like that (I never had any issues while playing on the 360). It's to do with the fact that MMOs are not designed for using a controller - they're designed to be played with a keyboard and mouse, and you really do need those in order to be able to play one. So unless you've got an extra USB keyboard laying around, guess what you get to go buy in order to be able to play the game halfway-decently.

Also, as is always the case, computers > console, in terms of power.

Shutter Control
Yes and they're usually slow...unless you have one solely for gaming.

Yup one can just attach their keyboard and mouse (actually not sure about the mouse) to either of the HD consoles. Problem solved.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Shutter Control

Yup one can just attach their keyboard and mouse (actually not sure about the mouse) to either of the HD consoles. Problem solved.

Hmm. There really is no such thing as a "computer solely for gaming". If you built your PC to play games well, then it means it has powerful hardware, which in turn means it can do anything a "work" computer can do and do it faster.

MadMel
im still watiing for an MMO that'll have a real-time combat system
dont ask me how it'll work, it just has to stick out tongue

BoratBorat
Originally posted by Shutter Control

Yup one can just attach their keyboard and mouse (actually not sure about the mouse) to either of the HD consoles. Problem solved. LOL sorry spud but a high end gaming pc is vastly superior to consoles when it comes to hardware in every aspect.

Mairuzu
Still would rather play on ps3

Peach
Originally posted by BoratBorat
LOL sorry spud but a high end gaming pc is vastly superior to consoles when it comes to hardware in every aspect.

Don't even need a high-end PC to beat out a console. PCs are constantly upgradable which means it doesn't take long at all for them to out-perform a console.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Peach
Don't even need a high-end PC to beat out a console. PCs are constantly upgradable which means it doesn't take long at all for them to out-perform a console.

True. A PC built from parts that are considered middle-range by now can very comfortably outperform a console.

Shutter Control
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Hmm. There really is no such thing as a "computer solely for gaming". If you built your PC to play games well, then it means it has powerful hardware, which in turn means it can do anything a "work" computer can do and do it faster. Didn't exactly mean only for gaming. Sorry, solely is not what I intended. Rather a PC with enough space on it (when my computer overloads, says the memory is too low) but more importanly one that is speedy and efficient. I was talking more about normal everyday PC's that were made back in 07 with XP on them (like this one which has 80GB of memory), not expensive comps with true gaming potential. In fact I think they are much superior to consoles which would explain the much higher price.

Also I'm not sure where people are getting things, but I never even implied consoles > computers in anything let alone in terms of power. erm

Mairuzu
http://www.thefinalfantasy14.com/

lots of info here.

Mairuzu
2 months till i can get my hands on the PC version. CE allows you to play 8 days before the actual release. I'll be reserving that today.

Classes so far:

Discples of War:
Pugilist
Gladiator
Marauder
Archer
Lancer

Discples of Magic:
Conjurer
Thaumaturge

Discples of Land:
Miner
Botanist
Fisher

Discples of Hand:
Carpenter
Blacksmith
Armorer
Goldsmith
Leatherworker
Weaver
Alchemist
Culinarian

Scythe
Oh shi-! Marauder!

Abel
I think I'm just gonna stick with FFXI. Still haven't come close to playing through all of the story material, plus based on the stuff I've heard about XIV I have a feeling I wouldn't like it anywhere near as much as XI.

Funnily enough FFXI happens to be the exception to this rule. Aside from using a keyboard for chatting and stuff, the game's designed entirely to be played using a controller, and using the keyboard and mouse makes for some very awkward controls. The vast majority of people who play it on the PC use a usb controller and completely ditch the mouse for that very reason.

Eyron Aplits
Anybody else started playing this yet?

StyleTime
I have a friend that played in the beta. Combat was changed up to a more action oriented style. Had generally good things to say about it in other regards as well.

S_D_J
I really want to get into MMOs but I just got to much to do, to let my life get suck into then...

I really want to give this game a try though

StyleTime
Supposedly, FFXIV isn't the massive time sink that FFXI is. I don't know how accomodating it is for players new to MMO's in general though.

They will have a free trial, so you could try that.

S_D_J
Since I just got a new gaming-friendly rig, I might as well try it

Eyron Aplits
Play on Selbina and join The Order Of The Apollo Cloud when you do. : D

Stoic
Originally posted by S_D_J
just announced

Do you have to pay to play?

General Kaliero
I thought this was an interesting read.

That puts me off immediately.

Stoic
Originally posted by General Kaliero
I thought this was an interesting read.

That puts me off immediately.

You said it chief. I think I'll pass on this one. The funds that these companies generate in sales, and web hits should alone justify playing for free. I see another big fail for the FF camp.

Peach
It was like that with FFXI, too. You get one character in the base per month fee, and then had to pay extra per month for each new character.

(as ever, GW does it better stick out tongue)

Ushgarak
Good god, really?!

That's simply a racket.

RE: Blaxican
"I can't believe you guys are such haters. It's the beauty and majesty of Japanese story telling that is worth the price!"

Peach
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Good god, really?!

That's simply a racket.

Yep. That's the sort of thing that seriously sucks if you're like me and want to have one of every available class.

Well, it sucks and is ridiculous period, and I can't see many people really wanting to play more than one character because of it. I know I got annoyed when trying out FFXI because I wanted to try out a second character but couldn't without paying for it, even though I was playing a trial.

Ushgarak
They might not pay here, but I bet it is calculated to squeeze money from the target market in Asia. Geez.

Peach
Oh, most likely.

Recator
Well given that they designed it so that a single character is all that's required to do everything the game has to offer, including trying out all of the classes (a feature Peach apparently missed) and the different starting areas and switching between them without losing your progress in any individual one etc., with the vast majority of the quests and missions repeatable, with the rest easily available for viewing via the wikia in both readable and video format, and all the cutscenes available for further views in game, having the single character is all that you would really ever want. If anything, with a player's reputation tied to the single character, it did its best to eliminate the existence of players who would go on to create another character to hide their identity and troll different users and chat areas, such as you get in the likes of WoW (I would know, I was one of them), where it's likely that the FFXI community wouldn't be what it is today which is quite easily the most friendly, pleasent and helpful MMO community there is on the market. That players might still wish to do something completely unnecessary and create another character, and in doing so do their part in using up the game's server space, then I don't see how it's anything but reasonable that SE would charge them extra for doing so.

Nephthys
Wow, that was fast ban. After reading the link and watching the video I can agree that this looks like a bad game. The combat video was boring as **** and I raised my brow when one reply said that the game (or if XI is anything to go by anyway) is shit until you get to level 50. Thats ellipses not a defence, thats a pretty bad design flaw.

And its not unnecessary. What if someone wants to not be a catgirl anymore, be an....ugly elf knock-off instead, huh? Or just want to re-play it as a new character, work his way up again? Theres more to the game than classes. Players shouldn't be penalised for wanting to play the game more. Thats just retarded.

Phanteros
Crap MMO. going to to pass on this one. The restrictions aren't just worth it. Penalizing people just to play it more rathan rewarding them?

Ushgarak
And for those wondering- there are some twice as many characters in FFXI as there are players. Cash bonanza for the makers!

And I understand the cost for extra slots in XIV will be triple that of XI. Classy!

ArtificialGlory
Urghh. Back to EVE Online/WoW it seems.

Selbina Fenrir
I really don't like it when great games like this receive as much negative attention and invalid criticism as this has been receiving, especially when it influences people into not getting it, and especially when it's largely perpetuated by people who haven't even played the game properly. It was the same with Final Fantasy XIII, which was not only a great game but a true masterpiece and an achievement in video game development; apparently it's become cool to ***** about Square Enix and the Final Fantasy series though so I guess you'll get it no matter how good the games are. The fact of the matter is that not only is this a great MMO but a great game, period.

The FFXIV developers have created what is quite easily the most captivating game world the MMO genre has ever seen, through incredible music, visuals (both technically and artistically speaking) and NPC design (where they've fleshed them out and put as much thought into them as they would a single player RPG where going around and talking to everyone is part of the storytelling experience); no MMO, not even FFXI, has come close to offering an immersive experince of this calibre. Never has it been as much of a joy to simply go around exploring and traversing through the world as it has been with FFXIV.

The developers put as much thought into the gathering and crafting jobs as they did the battle oriented ones and it's reflected through what is quite easily the most involving, multi faceted gathering and crafting mechanics an MMO has ever seen, with a battle system as good as any other to boot.

The main storyline, as it's thus far been, is on par with the kind you'll find in a single player Square RPG, the only MMO other than FFXI to do so (no, Guild Wars most certainly doesn't; they provide an emphasis on storyline but the quality isn't even close).

FFXIV, like XI, has the perfect methodology when it comes to designing an MMO, which is telling a quality storyline to drive you through extremely well designed gameplay of the kind of scale and variety you can only get in an MMO, while setting a difficulty that forces you to interact and cooperate with your fellow players, and all within the confines of an extremely captivating world.

The only real issues the game has is stuff almost any MMO would likely have this early after release, and that is a relative lack of content and usability based issues, which will undoubtedly be resolved over time given that it's still being tested and polished and content is going to continuously be added. Anyways, stop hating and go home.

Selbina Fenrir
How do I post links btw?

Nephthys
Well considering the game isn't out yet, as you say, how can you know that its a 'great game'? I can smell Japan and spunk on you my fanboyfriend.

Rostor Crytea
The game's been released for like a week fanboyfriendguy.

Peach
Only if you shelled out for the collector's edition.

The game itself doesn't release until tomorrow.

Nephthys
Ah, my release senses were obviously stuck in Britain mode. I have no idea about your silly Yankee doodads.

And damn can you make a sock fast!

Edit: Googlefu reveals yet more bullshit on the horison: Clickity

Edit2: And a The only damn review I could find: Click click clickity click

RostorCrytea

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Nephthys
Edit: Googlefu reveals yet more bullshit on the horison: Clickity

Wow, preventing players paying $13 a month at the very least from playing effectively for as long as they want? That's incredibly douchey.

stpbeingmean2me
What are the main criticisms made in the review out of curiosity? I only read a few paragraphs down but I can already tell you that you can use the keyboard to navigate the menu in the game as it is now at least, and they're releasing an official FFXIV PC game controller (big grin) that's been perfectly designed for the interface.

stpbeingmean2me
Originally posted by stpbeingmean2me
official FFXIV PC game controller

More money for SE amiright? big grin

Peach
Not many people bother with the CE because rarely is it worth the extra money.

Also, sales numbers disagree with that. Half a million subscribers vs. 6 million accounts. Hmmm. Guild Wars is the second-most popular MMO, second only to WoW. There may just be a reason for that.

Edit: http://www.mmonews.co/component/k2/item/1434-final-fantasy-xiv-scraping-your-skin-with-a-razorblade

That title is not very inspiring.

Nephthys
The combat is buggy, boring and lackluster, the spec requirements for it are too high, everythings fiddly and counterintuitive, the character creation is laughable, the classes seem unbalanced and retarded (half of them are gathering or crafting focused, wtf?), fetch quests ahoy, its difficult to find anything on the map etc

Also, I will go on record as sayng that visuals and music in games are the single least important aspect of a game to me, so don't bring them up in FFXIV's defence, becuase I'm really not interested.

Nephthys
No, though I don't see how it being an MMO makes the music and visuals more important at all from a regular game. And in regular games they're the least important aspects bar none (the most important being gameplay, story and characters). BTW visuals /=/ art direction.

Zack Fair
And this is why I could've cared less when FFXIV wasn't announced for the 360.

Nephthys
Look people, I answered his question before he even posted it! I'm Magic! awecraz

Phanteros
Not only that he's a sock? Neph, my boy you got talent.

But really when will people stop defending this ass load of shit? The restrictions are just plain retarded. The whole point in MMOs is to establish an elite clase from casual gamers. If the casual gamer isn't going to apply the effort in leveling up don't punish the hardcore gamer. If they don't have the time to play mmos why buy a monthly fee one? MMOs are meant to be a time consuming games, not for people who pick them up one day and drop it for a month later.There are tons of internet mmos that fill that purpose like gaia and that free realms crap.

General Kaliero
What they should have done was give casual gamers a one-time-payment version with somewhat less stuff that is considered premium content, and a reverse of the current experience model, where casual players who don't play often get an experience bonus that decreases over time, while the more serious, invested players pay their monthly fees to access all the game's content, with continuous experience gain for as long as they've paid to play for. That way the casual gamers don't get stuck, and still get to level at their pace, and the paying ones get their full game without idiotic restrictions. And a casual player who finds themselves playing enough to warrant going premium can consider that choice and add themselves to the more serious ranks. Everyone wins, and no one's punished for playing.

Nephthys
Fixed.

General Kaliero
http://nerfnow.com/comic/image/388

HCAEP
Originally posted by Phanteros
Not only that he's a sock? Neph, my boy you got talent.

But really when will people stop defending this ass load of shit? The restrictions are just plain retarded. The whole point in MMOs is to establish an elite clase from casual gamers. If the casual gamer isn't going to apply the effort in leveling up don't punish the hardcore gamer. If they don't have the time to play mmos why buy a monthly fee one? MMOs are meant to be a time consuming games, not for people who pick them up one day and drop it for a month later.There are tons of internet mmos that fill that purpose like gaia and that free realms crap.

Or perhaps your perception of what an MMO is supposed to be differs from what it actually is? Nothing in the definition of an MMO states that it has to be specifically designed for the hardcore gamers and ignore the casual ones. You may personally dislike their approach but SE have provided a perfectly valid reason for making such a design choice, being that of a balancing mechanism. There's also the fact that a lot of gamers, particularly those used to other MMOs such as WoW, will often rush to the end game content and focus on a single class to get there, and in doing so will be missing out on two of the FF MMOs primary selling points, which are the huge variety among the different classes and the fact that the game places an emphasis on the journey to the end game, rather than the end game itself. The system that SE have put in place acts perfectly as a control mechanism, which are sometimes required to enable players to get the full and intended experience out of a game. It is not an objectively bad design choice, and from many angles is actually a very good one.

Not to mention the facts that:

A) 8 hours spread over a week is hardly that small an amount of time.

B) It only prevents you from gaining experience points, not from playing as the actual class.

C) It only applies on an individual basis for each class, not for every single one.

D) You can still work on the primary build of your character whilst levelling secondary jobs as the armoury system enables you to use abilities from other jobs whilst using whatever your favoured one is. Levelling a secondary or even tertiary job can still add to the capabilities of your character whilst wielding your primary job, so even if you have one fixed idea of how you want your character to be you can still add to that by relying on alternative ones.

General Kaliero
Woth noting, guys, if you stop replying to him he might shut up and go away, instead of making socks.

Nephthys
So wait, you're fined for making a second character, the explanation being that you're supposed to experience all the classes with one character, but penalised for doing so?

laughing What the **** is wrong with this game! laughing

Burning thought
Based on several reviews I have read this must be one of the poorest games recently released, certainly the poorest MMO. At first I was intrieged because of the cutscenes and some of the graphics but apprently the game has such a vast number of flaws and is the opposite of enjoyment. I can be bored and waste time for free, why pay money for a game and its subscription to do it? smile

Besides, Guild Wars 2 is on its way....big grin

Phanteros
Told you it was going to be total crap.

Guild wars 2 is going to murder the mmo market.

ArtificialGlory
Told you it was going to be total crap.

Guild wars 2 is going to murder the mmo market.

I doubt it will move the behemoth that is WoW.

Peach
Well, the first one is already the only MMO to really seriously compete with WoW.

And it's certainly going to destroy anything else that's come out recently or will come out in the next year or two. So I'm pretty sure they'll do fine against WoW.

Ushgarak
Well I dunno about that- TOR has a lot of momentum gathered, and I think Lineage had a greater number of consistent players than GW. WoW just passed 12 million subscribers also...

Still, the time is right to start knocking chunks out of it. But where's the triumph there? It's been top of the game for so long, and even Blizzard thinks it is time for the MMO to move on. It would hardly be one in the eye for them.

In the end, no-one ever beat it. It was unbeaten. When something 'beats' it in the future, it will be purely a matter of that it had run its (very long) course.

EvilTyrant
Saw the reviews and thought they are total BS! I've played FFXI and I believe it received bad scores too. FFXI was the best game I ever played, only thing that killed it was the people and the fact you needed really large groups to get the good stuff. Too many elitist pricks who were the leaders of linkshells killed the game for me. I'm getting 14 on PS3

Zack Fair
I miss the days when Square made marvelous games >=\

Ushgarak
And in an FF state double bill from me, reading between the lines here shows they aren't happy with this one either!

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/112/1128523p1.html

The rough translation is that they are alarmed by the negative feedback and are extending the free trial to try to keep subscribers whilst they fix it, if possible.

Phanteros
Originally posted by EvilTyrant
Saw the reviews and thought they are total BS! I've played FFXI and I believe it received bad scores too. FFXI was the best game I ever played, only thing that killed it was the people and the fact you needed really large groups to get the good stuff. Too many elitist pricks who were the leaders of linkshells killed the game for me. I'm getting 14 on PS3 The reviews aren't BS. The game is total baby back horseshit. crappy payment system, and lame combat, and dull missions, and a shit interface will await you when you purchase this lame excuse of a MMO.

Wait for Guild Wars 2 or DCU universe.

General Kaliero
And in an FF state double bill from me, reading between the lines here shows they aren't happy with this one either!

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/112/1128523p1.html

The rough translation is that they are alarmed by the negative feedback and are extending the free trial to try to keep subscribers whilst they fix it, if possible.
Not surprised by this at all. When I visited GDC in Austin, there were several developers and students talking about how bad FFXIV was.

Extending the free period is a nice gesture, but it's not going to fix anything unless they use that time to radically alter the core gameplay.

SaTsuJiN
The reviews aren't BS. The game is total baby back horseshit. crappy payment system, and lame combat, and dull missions, and a shit interface will await you when you purchase this lame excuse of a MMO.

Wait for Guild Wars 2 quoted for truth.. there is absolutely no room or excuse for yet another unpolished game from such a huge corporation as square enix.. they want to kill wow but they're gonna try to pawn an unfinished product off on their fans.. great strategy

Ushgarak
I think they just got it wrong, simple as that. I'd say they should have learned more from XI... but the slightly irritating fact is that XI was financially successful, so they likely didn't see the need.

Which long term will do them no favours as it was successful because of the name and in spite of the mechanics, and evidently they can't pull that trick twice. Not in the face of much stiffer competition.

Oxbar Sinef
Actually XI was nothing like XIV, and a really solid MMO and game in itself. This however... is absolutely terrible. I'll play for the rest of the free trial but after that I'm not going to go back to it until the PS3 release, where I imagine they'll be releasing all the stuff they're currently holding back like the auction house and the chocobos and airships.

Nephthys
I love you Neb.

Sexually.

Ushgarak
Their basic gaming principle is the same as it was in XI. Obviously the details have changed, but they have the principle wrong. XI is more excusable due to its era, though only somewhat. The fact absolutely remains that MMO games are moving on, and XIV is showing none of that.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
quoted for truth.. there is absolutely no room or excuse for yet another unpolished game from such a huge corporation as square enix.. they want to kill wow but they're gonna try to pawn an unfinished product off on their fans.. great strategy

I doubt I'll buy anything Square Enix anymore. They have gone downhill since they merged.

Oxbar Sinef
Their basic gaming principle is the same as it was in XI.

It couldn't be more different actually; did you play FFXI out of curiosity? FFXI was the definition of a hardcore MMO; extremely challenging to learn and master the gameplay functions, extremely punishing to the player, impossible to play solo and progress much at all, takes an insane amount of time to level, with extremely challenging and cryptic quests. FFXIV on the other hand provides little to no punishment to the player, you can do everything solo easily enough, levelling is easy, and the quests are repetitive and brainless. FFXI was much more about the world and the story as well, whereas FFXIV is a mindless grind fest after the first story scenario. FFXI also encouraged the player to invest lots of time into it whereas FFXIV punishes players that do. You couldn't find two MMOs more different in principle than XI and XIV.

Zack Fair
Square Enix needs to die.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Zack Fair

You said it.

Phanteros
How the mighty have fallen.

Ushgarak
All we see above there from the banned person is a failure to understand how basic principles work. And an outright observation failure by implying XI was not a grind-fest.

mikeydude
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Square Enix was the best producer of RPG's in the 90's.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by mikeydude
Square Enix was the best producer of RPG's in the 90's.
Square Enix didn't exist in the 90s. That was before the merger. Square was the best producer of RPGs in the 90s.

Peach
Enix also made pretty damn good RPGs - Dragon Quest, anyone? But yes, the merger didn't really help either side much.

General Kaliero
Well yeah. Ironic that two great RPG companies started going downhill once they became one... culminating in what looks like a Final Fantasy game being almost universally panned by critics and players alike.

Peach
Yeah. It's like...what the hell, how does that even happen?

Banned?
Firstly, can I ask why I was banned? If it was for no reason other than disagreeing with a moderator that's pretty sad...

Secondly, explain how FFXI and XIV are even similar in principle, and define principle while you're at it, if the criteria I was using doesn't fit your definition. You also couldn't be more wrong about FFXI; again, have you even played it. It was no different from any other Final Fantasy game, there was no grind involved whatsoever, everything was driven by the story as any other Final Fantasy, and the quests and missions alone provided you with enough to do to level at a pace to continue progressing through them. Again, did you even play it Ushgaruk?

Banned?
This game excluded, name one game that SE developed that wasn't at the very least amazing? Final Fantasy XII and XIII are arguably the two best games in the entire series, and other games such as The World Ends With You have also been pretty incredible.

Ushgarak
Blimey, the idea that FFXI had 'no grind whatsoever' is hysterical... it also plummets any possible credibility from a poster.

Oxbar
I don't know why you're going to keep banning me and respond at the same time; also is there somewhere I can appeal to my ban as I still haven't received an explanation.

Anyway, explain to me how FFXI was as much of a grind fest as you seem to believe? As long as you weren't an idiot and did the quests and missions it would be entirely pointless to grind. The game was made in a way so that you don't grind. Again, did you play XI? You're clearly misinformed if you think it's at all similar to XIV and an especially grind intensive MMO.

Oxbar
if you go to the ffxi wikia you can see how much story content there was; more than enough to get through without having to resort to grinding, i cna assure you.

Ushgarak
If you bothered to check, you would see I didn't ban you in the first place. You are being banned now for socking and if you keep doing it your posts will be deleted.

FFXI is FAMOUSLY a grind fest. It is one of its primary attributes, much commented upon by reviews and community sites all around. Let's hear Peach's opinion...

Nephthys
Originally posted by Banned?
Firstly, can I ask why I was banned? If it was for no reason other than disagreeing with a moderator that's pretty sad...

Well there are the 100+ sock ccounts.....

Uh, what? Final Fantasy's 5, 8, X-2 and 12 disagree with you. Their entire combat systems are built around grind. Most of the FF systems are.

Oxbarr
Alright, fine. Can you at least tell me where I can enquire as to why i got banned and appeal it? And may i ask who banned me? When you get banned it doens't ;et you leave the screen so i had to switch web browser to be able to return.

"Well there are the 100+ sock ccounts....."

Wait, what is that? I'm pretty sure it was said somewhere where I got banned, I just assumed Ushgarak was talking gibberish.

"Uh, what? Final Fantasy's 5, 8 and 12 disagree with you. Their entire combat systems are built around grind. Most of the FF systems are."

Well I never played 5, but 8 couldn't have been further from that. Enemies levelled with you, so there was literally no purpose at all to grinding. I was able to play through XII just fine without grinding.

Nephthys
You had to grind for hours to draw spells. The other ways are equally grind-tastic. That was what most of the game was, at least for me.

Oxbarr
It didn't take anywhere near as long as people made out. I could max out on a single spell in a few minutes, tops. The vast majority of the game is simply going through the story and event specific gameplay.

Oxbarr
"You are being banned now for socking and if you keep doing it your posts will be deleted."

Sorry, i forgot about this, ill stop responding until this is resolved.

General Kaliero
Man, the people we get here...

Nephthys
Bullshit a few minutes. Do you have any idea how ****ing long that even is.

Watch the part 2 video: http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/final-fantasy-viii/page/2/

General Kaliero
It's best to ignore him, Nephthys.

Nephthys
I would, but I cannot ignore what is in my heart. love love

Coco292
Originally posted by Banned?
This game excluded, name one game that SE developed that wasn't at the very least amazing? Final Fantasy XII and XIII are arguably the two best games in the entire series, and other games such as The World Ends With You have also been pretty incredible.

laughing
oh you're serious about XIII being argued as one of the best in the series.
here lemme laugh harder

laughing laughing

Oxx.
Real nice Ushgarak. So you leave me alone for a bit, wait for me to send you a PM asking for a status on the situation, and then you go on to ban me.

Nepthys, that was 3 minutes and 4 minutes respectively. I'd imagine that the reviewer also selected that from footage of his entire playthrough, and was using it because it took a relatively longer amount of time than the others, to help him make his point. Anyway, perhaps it seems tedious when you're simply watching it in a review, but within the game where you're usually playing it in a matter of hours at a time, it really isn't that big a deal. The more powerful monsters also have a habit of letting you draw greater quantities something he failed to mention.

Oxx.
Originally posted by Coco292
laughing
oh you're serious about XIII being good here lemme laugh harder

laughing laughing

oh let me guess, you're gonna talk about how linear it is, as if the final fantasy series has ever been about exploration. ffxiii has the finest graphics to a game to date, the best battle system of the series, and a kick ass story. best game to come out in a long time.

Coco292
Originally posted by Oxx.
oh let me guess, you're gonna talk about how linear it is, as if the final fantasy series has ever been about exploration. ffxiii has the finest graphics to a game to date, the best battle system of the series, and a kick ass story. best game to come out in a long time.

Oh so you're one of those people who think being more linear than what is expected is a good thing?

Idk where people get best battle system the game plays its ****ing self.

Im sorry but Squeenix is nothing compared to what it used to be.

General Kaliero
If you guys stop talking to him he might go away after I continue to ban him again and again...

Coco292
Originally posted by General Kaliero
If you guys stop talking to him he might go away after I continue to ban him again and again...

Idk man I like argueing with people who think SE is doing a good job

laughing

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>