Concern about Soundwave in ROTF (POSSIBLE SPOILER)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

K3VIL
I read this on wikipedia's article about Soundwave's role in ROTF.

Movie Plot
Soundwave has limited dialogue in the movie. He has yet to be seen in any of the trailers. He downloads into his satellite vehicle forms for the new Decepticons to use before they land on Earth. Soundwave does not leave his position orbiting Earth and never transforms into his robot mode. He does not die at the end of the movie leaving possibilites open for a more prominent role in the third film.

Now, Soundwave has always been one of my fav's Decepticons, and reading he's just gonna be sending the data for the vehicle forms and orbit into Earth's atmosphere to do the intelligency work for the Decs sounds wrong to me.I onestly hope wikipedia's info are wrong, cause waiting two more years for the 3rd movie to see him do something more than some computer job is weird.What are your toughts about it?

Sadako of Girth
Yeah this would account for reports that he just has a boringly generic Cybertronian Jet mode.

Makes sense if he never leaves Bay's cybertron.

If memory serves, it was outlined early on that he came to earth and headed the Constructicons attacks/recovery of Megatron.

This may be fubared now though, by all accounts

BruceSkywalker
facepalm I will wait until I see this in a bout a week to pass judgment

Sadako of Girth
Wise.

Scythe
I've watched most of the movie, and a few friends of mine have seen it at the showing they did in Japan, yeah.... He doesn't have a robot form at all, just stays a satellite, sorry.

Sadako of Girth
Then maybe there is still hope for Soundwave being a tape deck when he comes to earth. wink

Darth Rex
The whole point of Transformers is they are vehicles that transform into robots and have massive cool fights.
Not a robot that just stays as a satellite orbiting earth
Why Michael Bay? Just Why?

Scythe
Originally posted by Darth Rex
The whole point of Transformers is they are vehicles that transform into robots and have massive cool fights.
Not a robot that just stays as a satellite orbiting earth
Why Michael Bay? Just Why?

There's a possibiity at the end of the film Soundwave and Megatron are seen just chilling on the Nemesis, panning for part 3. So they'll use Soundwave alright.

Darth Rex
Thats Good news i want to see him in robot mode

Menetnashté
That sucks I went and bought my soundwave shirt and everything and he won't even go robot form? That makes me a sad panda.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Scythe
There's a possibiity at the end of the film Soundwave and Megatron are seen just chilling on the Nemesis, panning for part 3. So they'll use Soundwave alright.

That still amounts to "jerking the crowd off and stealing their money".

Ive read all the adaptation comics and Soundwave dont do shit.

nimbus006
Soundwave has a small role in Transformers: Alliance, but is never actually seen.

I would assume from reading the comics that he would have an increased role in the movie.

Doctor-Alvis
Strategically, I would agree with not having Soundwave move or transform. If he can evade detection while monitoring things, good. But as a fan I want to see him transform.

Sadako of Girth
...into something unshit...? stick out tongue

Doctor-Alvis
Into something as good as Optimus' robot form.

Sadako of Girth
Fair play. smile

BruceSkywalker
this has been confirmed..Soundwave is actually Michael Bay who makes his acting debut

saintsaucey
I read the book and he doesn't do much. He manipulates the US satalite feed's so that they can't see the battle until it is too late. He also ejects the Ravage probe.

Scythe
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
That still amounts to "jerking the crowd off and stealing their money".

Ive read all the adaptation comics and Soundwave dont do shit.

Not really, haha. Some people enjoy it. I'm not that big of a Soundwave fan, so his absence won't strike me one bit. If anything, I just want to see powered up Prime.

Sadako of Girth
I can wait for youtube to see that I guess.
No need to convey even accidentally to Bay that I approve of his shenanigans by ensuring his brand of filth financial renumeration.

Yes some people might like being jerked around/ripped off but those people are by definition, then, masochists or ..........well.....there is only a small collection of words that would be printable. stick out tongue

Im a soundwave fan, and hate what they've done here.
Frank Welker voice or not.

Scythe
I can wait for youtube to see that I guess.
No need to convey even accidentally to Bay that I approve of his shenanigans by ensuring his brand of filth financial renumeration.

Yes some people might like being jerked around/ripped off but those people are by definition, then, masochists or ..........well.....there is only a small collection of words that would be printable. stick out tongue

Im a soundwave fan, and hate what they've done here.
Frank Welker voice or not.

It's kinda not like that. I'd feel madly dissed, and forced to watch shit if this movie procaimed to be directly related to G1 or based off of G2 comics, but it estabishes itself as a completely different universe. Same thing for Beast Wars, it wasn't TF's at all, but it served a different purpose.

Sadako of Girth
Well that has already happened.

No amount of pretending can change that.
strip Peter Cullen from it, change the name, and it could be anything from a Terminator movie to Gobots to the sequel to 'Maximum overdrive', for all the TFs accuracy it offers.

Darth Rex
That final battle seen at the end is gunna be awesome

Sadako of Girth
It had better be longer/bigger/more impressive than in the comic adaptation, if thats true.

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by saintsaucey
I read the book and he doesn't do much. He manipulates the US satalite feed's so that they can't see the battle until it is too late. He also ejects the Ravage probe.
That's a respectable role. It's not that active but then again I always wondered why, as the communications guy, he was always up there firing his pistol with everyone else in the cartoon.

Sadako of Girth
Cause he had to report to/be on hand for Megatron in situations...?

Essentially being a carrier for the cassettes too... Megatron needed them at his disposal too.

Doctor-Alvis
All of that can be solved with the internet. Granted, stuff like that was pretty limited back then. For humans.

Realistically though, in today's world someone like Soundwave could easily be the most powerful member of a team. Especially as a satellite.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
All of that can be solved with the internet. Granted, stuff like that was pretty limited back then. For humans.

Realistically though, in today's world someone like Soundwave could easily be the most powerful member of a team. Especially as a satellite.
So you're saying he's going to send Ravage, and rumble through a computer...?

saintsaucey
ravage is a probe that he deploys. Rumble is not in the movie. I would prefer Lazer Beak to Ravage but oh well.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by saintsaucey
ravage is a probe that he deploys. Rumble is not in the movie. I would prefer Lazer Beak to Ravage but oh well.
Thanks for informing me on things I already know.

Doctor-Alvis

Sadako of Girth
Its not just about the addition of his shoulder cannon and Concussion blaster... He could even read minds of those close to him and shit.

Not so easy from orbit.

None of the excuses for the treatment of Soundwave that he got make sense.

Sado22
i always thought it'd be cool if one day you'd see megatron walking with soundwave on his shoulder or the decepticans break dancing around just to show what they did when they were free...or not pwning optimus douschebag.

personally i think the whole soundwave satellite thing sucks tbh. soundwave deserves better. who'd ever forget the most loyal deceptican. he was more devoted to Megatron than autobots were to Rodimus laughing out loud

to quote rumble: no one makes fun of Soundwave!! mad

Menetnashté
Well it seems they've made it so that most of the others can do what Soundwave did, since we saw Frenzy and blackout are fully capable of hacking computer systems which tended to be Soundwave's primary job. I guess he can still spy from the sky as a satellite, the only thing he can't do is read minds, which I doubt Bay would have included anyway and he can't be the badass he was when it comes to fighting which sucks since he was one of their top fighters possibly better than the constructicons with his minions.

Doctor-Alvis
Its not just about the addition of his shoulder cannon and Concussion blaster... He could even read minds of those close to him and shit.

Not so easy from orbit.
Why can't it be? Perhaps for balance purposes it would take a lot of power or require one of his probes to be nearby. I dunno, maybe my networking knowledge is making me overestimate cybertronian networking capabilities, because that's not that far of a stretch from what us humans have now.

What's this excuses BS? These are legitimate reasons why I would make Soundwave a satellite. Don't let your nostalgia blind you. I'm not saying any of this will be in the movie or Michael Bay's reasons for making Soundwave a satellite. From what it sounds like, he's accomplishing the same thing Frenzy did with the virus, like Menetnashte mentioned, which is really quite a shame considering how cool the concept is.

Sadako of Girth
I think you misunderstand me. The knee jerk aggression isnt needed.
Its not just your satements Im addressing, but the philosophy of getting carried away with tech stuff all the time is a good thing.
It actually can errode the heart of the characters, the situation etc
Its what lies behind the basic shitty looking over complicated designs on most of the movie stuff.

Ok now addressing you more specifically. ..'reasons' then.

Then if he has that ability to read all minds at all times, he would know what the Autobots are thinking the whole time and the whole things is one big deceptiwin roll credits yawn.

Thus stating that what IS BS is to be blind to the great moral question in most Crichton novels: 'Even though you could, should you..?' The "Soundwave global-thought police" idea falls into that catagory, do you not think...?

Doctor-Alvis
I think you misunderstand me. The knee jerk aggression isnt needed.
No aggression to be had.

I guess for me what they are is the core of their characters. In my perfect, unrealistic world, the advanced transforming alien robots would always be advanced from my point of view. But that would probably be too much for most people.

Perhaps for balance purposes it would take a lot of power or require one of his probes to be nearby.
As I already stated, I recognize the need to tone it down for story purposes.

But outside of a story, morals are inventions. I would probably use it if I was in Megatron's position, though if I was in Megatron's position either I would be ousted from the Decepticons or they would become known as the coolest bunch of nerds in the galaxy and wouldn't really have a need to track enemies.

Scythe
I loved how Soundwave's robot head peeked out of his satellite mode for a few seconds to talk, that was neat.

Sadako of Girth
No aggression to be had.

I guess for me what they are is the core of their characters. In my perfect, unrealistic world, the advanced transforming alien robots would always be advanced from my point of view. But that would probably be too much for most people.

As I already stated, I recognize the need to tone it down for story purposes.

But outside of a story, morals are inventions. I would probably use it if I was in Megatron's position, though if I was in Megatron's position either I would be ousted from the Decepticons or they would become known as the coolest bunch of nerds in the galaxy and wouldn't really have a need to track enemies.

I see. Cool. smile

Alpha Centauri
Oh come on, Sadako.

You and I both know that Soundwave being a tape deck would be about as acceptable in 2009 as Bumblebee being a V.W. Beetle.

Personally, as much as I do think the Devastator scene was cool, I'd have sacrificed the Constructicons to have Soundwave be a surveillance truck or something.

Oh well.

-AC

Sadako of Girth
What 1 thing would have been silly about Bumblebee being a beetle..?
But anyhows, there are plenty of smaller cars that would have reflected the Bumblebeeness...but they went full muscle car retard and gave him a coolish design, but one that would have suited someone like Jazz, Bluestreak etc.

Im not as hardcore as I was on the superficial 100% accuracy, but insist on key ingredients being adhered to and Bumblebee being small and yellow are two core things about the character.

The mass shifting hypocrisy/self contradiction was the silly thing in these films and it killed off one of the more fun/imaginative aspects of TFs. imho

Doctor-Alvis
I don't think I've seen a V.W. Beetle without going "****, is that a beetle?" in 15 years.

In a somewhat related vein on Bumblebee's character, two core things for me were that he was nigh worthless and always ****ed everything up. As a kid I could kind of relate to that feeling but it got old pretty fast. There are a lot of Bumblebees. Cheetor was one. Most of the incompetent sidekicks all the comic book characters got after Robin became popular were Bumblebees. My little brother was one.

One instance I can vaguely remember him helping with was, with the assistance of another smaller transformer, operating a Decepticon turret. But that really reinforced the nigh worthless part. Instead of making him bigger and more powerful they could have given him some kind of special skill, but then again that would go against the core of his character.

I'm glad they did something because reinvented sidekicks can usually be made pretty cool. Bucky Barnes became a crazy special ops soldier who could break the necks Captain America couldn't break. Robin became a Batman and the latest Robin is a lower level Batman.

Menetnashté
Yeah since Bumblebee is like the main bot now I'm glad he's as he is. I didn't like V.W. Bumblebee, Camaro Bumblebee is kickass.

Alpha Centauri
What 1 thing would have been silly about Bumblebee being a beetle..?
But anyhows, there are plenty of smaller cars that would have reflected the Bumblebeeness...but they went full muscle car retard and gave him a coolish design, but one that would have suited someone like Jazz, Bluestreak etc.

Im not as hardcore as I was on the superficial 100% accuracy, but insist on key ingredients being adhered to and Bumblebee being small and yellow are two core things about the character.

The mass shifting hypocrisy/self contradiction was the silly thing in these films and it killed off one of the more fun/imaginative aspects of TFs. imho

I suppose they could have used the newer Beetles.

-AC

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Scythe
I loved how Soundwave's robot head peeked out of his satellite mode for a few seconds to talk, that was neat.

His head and voice were weird.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
His head and voice were weird.
Yeah he wasn't classic soundwave voice which was disappointing. And his head was pointy looking

Sado22
was it just me or did most of the decepticans have the same colors? confused
ths movie sucked. sucked big balls and spat them out like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck8j7mIJjrY

Sadako of Girth

Menetnashté
It was his G1 voice without the vocoder effect.

Eeidence proving this is Soundwave being heard at least twice in the G1 cartoon speaking like that and also footage of Welker recording Soundwave's parts back in the day I saw confirming it.
Ah, I mean I still thought the voice was cool but I was expecting something else.

C. C. Cowgirl!
Already been said, but:
Soundwave gathers information throughout the movie. He doesn't interact anything beyond brief communication messages. He spends the movie attached to an orbiting satellite.

Placidity
I thought Soundwave's voice was pretty awesome. Frank could've worked as Megatron IMO, but just not using his classic Megatron voice.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Sado22
was it just me or did most of the decepticans have the same colors? confused

Yeah well are'nt they ment to be in disguse ?

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Placidity
I thought Soundwave's voice was pretty awesome. Frank could've worked as Megatron IMO, but just not using his classic Megatron voice.

I thought The Fallen sounded almost exactly like G1 Megatron.

Doctor-Alvis
If you give it some of the same juice they gave Hugo Weaving's voice, I could see it.

I thought he sounded like Tigertron from Beast Wars or Gigabyte from ReBoot.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.