solipsism

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonheartmm
the concept that you are either alone in the world, and everything around you is a dream of your own creation, or, that as an entity/conciousness, you are completely cut off from everything other than your own perception of things which is fundamentally different than and alien to any other perception of entity in the world and that no1 can ever understand anything outside themselves. it also means that no1 can truly be sure that anything outside of one's own imagination has any existance or meaning.

it has many incarnations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

what are your views, do u beleive any part of it, or not? and why?

Symmetric Chaos
I'd read this but it's all part of my imagination.

Nephthys
Can't be proved, is highly unlikely, but can't be disproved and has logic behind it.

end.

Mindship
Originally posted by leonheartmm
the concept that you are either alone in the world, and everything around you is a dream of your own creation, or, that as an entity/conciousness, you are completely cut off from everything other than your own perception of things which is fundamentally different than and alien to any other perception of entity in the world and that no1 can ever understand anything outside themselves. it also means that no1 can truly be sure that anything outside of one's own imagination has any existance or meaning.

what are your views, do u beleive any part of it, or not? and why?

Am I all that is? Or are there others, and each of us in an inescapable perceptual bubble? To start here (especially the latter) and muse about reality can be sound, I think, if it keeps one on his/her philosophical toes about their musings and conclusions. But solipsism is not the best "as if" to adopt if it leads to inaction, selfishness or dangerous behavior.

King Kandy
Well you can't prove it wrong but I see no reason to think it's right.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.