Magic: The Gathering

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wei Phoenix
I downloaded the demo about a week ago and bought it the same day. It's exactly like the card game if you're a fan of it. The one downside to this game is the lack of real deck customization and sometimes idiotic AI.

Like they'll have 2 life left with a flying creature on their side and you'll have one 2/2 creature with 20 life. They'll attack you instead of saving it for defense of their lives. It seems like the main priority of the game's AI is to attack whenever they are certain they will go unblocked/killed.

Other than that the game is pretty much fun. Don't play with Jalek he cheats lol. Also there seems to be future decks to be released as DLC. There is nothing to do offline once you beat the single player campaign though outside of challenge mode where you have to win in one turn.

Other modes are co-op campaign home connection only. Mentor mode, where you can learn from someone online or teach someone. and online matches as well.

Impediment
I still have about 5,000+ Magic cards from about 12 years ago, ranging from Beta, Revised, Arabian Nights all they way up to Mirage. I quit buying after the Mirage expansion set released, mainly because of money issues. I still played, however.

I'd like to play this, but I have no knowledge of current expansions.
Would it be hard for an old school Magic gamer like me to pick up from where I left off? I'd definitely be a Type 1 gamer, and not Type 2.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Impediment
I still have about 5,000+ Magic cards from about 12 years ago, ranging from Beta, Revised, Arabian Nights all they way up to Mirage. I quit buying after the Mirage expansion set released, mainly because of money issues. I still played, however.

Would it be hard for an old school Magic gamer like me to pick up from where I left off? I'd definitely be a Type 1 gamer, and not Type 2.

I'd say yes seeing as I haven't played in a long time as well. There aren't any new rules or anything I believe. The game plays just like the actual card game, no rules are bent or exaggerated. I don't know when the rule was made but you can mulligan now if you have a bad hand at the cost of one less card in your hand at the start of the match. There are like 8 preconstructed decks and the cards are simliar to the old effects i.e. flying, trample, forestwalk, walls.

S_D_J
Originally posted by Impediment

the first one I ever played with was Mirage... Haven't played in a long time

I download this last night, haven't tried it though. Not so sure I'm gonna buy it. I heard is a regular game, the lack of customization hurts

I guess I'll give it a try

Ridley_Prime
Me too sometime, probably.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by S_D_J
the first one I ever played with was Mirage... Haven't played in a long time

I download this last night, haven't tried it though. Not so sure I'm gonna buy it. I heard is a regular game, the lack of customization hurts

I guess I'll give it a try

Yeah the lack of customization does hurt the games potential but you can earn new cards to put into your deck. It's not as good as being able to fully customize a deck, but at least you get to add some new good cards to your deck.

S_D_J
try it out for a while...

Gosh, how quickly I forgot about the rules big grin. I remember now why I loved playing it.

So there's about 17 cards per deck you can unlock right?.

In the demo version I could only play with the Green deck erm , and I used to play with a Blue or Blue/Red deck back in the day big grin ... not so sure I'm buying it just yet. I still have to buy inFamous first, so I won't be purchasing MS points any time soon...

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by S_D_J
try it out for a while...

Gosh, how quickly I forgot about the rules big grin. I remember now why I loved playing it.

So there's about 17 cards per deck you can unlock right?.

In the demo version I could only play with the Green deck erm , and I used to play with a Blue or Blue/Red deck back in the day big grin ... not so sure I'm buying it just yet. I still have to buy inFamous first, so I won't be purchasing MS points any time soon...

I thought you could use the red one as well in the demo? Anyway they do have a pretty nice blue deck.

Digi
So you can't fully customize which exact cards you want in a deck? My friend DL'd it and we were trying to figure out how to build our own.

I'm a fan of Magic, but extremely casual. Seems interesting, but I don't have the money to invest atm.

jinXed by JaNx
This game is Rock hard.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Digi
So you can't fully customize which exact cards you want in a deck? My friend DL'd it and we were trying to figure out how to build our own.

I'm a fan of Magic, but extremely casual. Seems interesting, but I don't have the money to invest atm.

You can unlock up to 17 cards in a mono-color deck and 15 in a multi-colored deck. Those new cards can be added or taken away from the deck but you can't take out cards that were already put in there as the standard deck.

Burning thought
Is this a new Magic game were talking about? I played the almost online equivalent of the card game, which was the official swords of the coast version and ive played battlegrounds (meh), is this new?

I enjoy magic, its one of those card games that I can play while not feeling too silly like I would if I pulled out my old pokemon/digimon cards stick out tongue

Its a more mature fictional universe and is so old and has been going so long that they have a card set for most people out there, personally I enjoyed the mirrodin and dark steel sets.

Wei Phoenix
New as in this game came out like 2 months ago on Xbox Arcade. It's not Magic Online.

Digi
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
You can unlock up to 17 cards in a mono-color deck and 15 in a multi-colored deck. Those new cards can be added or taken away from the deck but you can't take out cards that were already put in there as the standard deck.

That's kinda lame. The main appeal to me would be customizing an entire deck down to the last card.

To be fair, it's my friend's game, and he seems happy with it. I just co-op with him occasionally. So that's the important thing.

But still.

Originally posted by Burning thought
while not feeling too silly like I would if I pulled out my old pokemon/digimon cards

Back the train up, son. Digimon is high level.

uhuh

Impediment
I bought Duels of the Planeswalkers over Xmas and now I have become, once again, fully addicted to this game, just like I was in high school.

One thing I very much dislike is the cost of DLC on the PSN. I wrote this as my newest FB staus as a joke:

"Really, Sony? You expect me to pay $0.99, plus tax, for a single card from the downloadable expansion set of MTG: Duels of the Planeswalkers? I think not. I don't even know if $4.99 is a reasonable price for an entire downloadable expansion deck."

Something is telling me that I will, eventually, break down and buy some of the DLC, just like when I broke down and bought the new DLC maps for Modern Warfare 2.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.