Gandalf VS witchking.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

~:Mr.Anderson:~
this is not an honest "vs" thread its just like a question.

why, in the book, do we see gandalf holding his ground and keeping the witch king at bay, but in the "extended ROTK" movie the witchking smashes his staff and knocks him over?

I was under the impression that gandalf was a match for all 9 at once from lines from the movie and the book. Gandalf also has one of the three elven rings and has been on earth since the sil marilion.

The witch king, according to games/movies/books and stuff, was an ambitious man who tried to own all of the northern lands before the days of gondor, quite a bit after gandalf was brought into existence.

From what I can tell, gandalf has the experience, the power, and the skill to take down the witch king, yet his staff is broken by the witch king in the ext rotk. Why is this? Is i because Peter jackson is a nubass who didnt read the book?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
A while back I read somewhere about Gandalf's seemingly imminent defeat at the Witch-King's hands in the film to be simple cinematic eye candy. That the the idea that a Maiar, recently reinvigorated by the Vala, would lose to a decrepit shadow-being of a Man (albeit Sauron's chief lieutenant) was unfounded and frankly ridiculous when taking in to account what the Istari (including the Grey) and even weaker Maia were able to do.

Red Nemesis
typing fail for truth

Incanus
I gess cuz Jackson is a loser who cant keep true to thje book for like, 5 minutes..........

Lord Lucien
You try keeping true those books in a reasonable time frame. *whispers* Bombadil was a stupid character.

Red Nemesis
GO DAI! mad

Lord Lucien
*daid*

But seriously. He was useless. And annoying.

Red Nemesis
By useless you mean plot critical and by annoying you mean badass. *right?*

Hewhoknowsall
It's a deleted scene, so forgive me if I'm wrong but doesn't that mean that it doesn't really happen?

Lord Lucien
Yup. Jackson's LoTR movies and his word are the ultimate canon in Tolkien's work. And Peter said that, like, Tom Bombadil was useless to the overall plot and he, like, didn't contribute much in the way of character development, and stuff.

Incanus
THE ONLY REASON THE HOBBITS GOT OUT OF THE BARROW DOWNS IS BECAUSE OF TOM!!!! HE IS AWESOME!!!!

Originally posted by Red Nemesis
By useless you mean plot critical and by annoying you mean badass. *right?*

And yes Red is right, he is plot critical and UBER BADASS

Lord Lucien
Not really. Even the Barrow Downs were ultimately useless. The only notable contribution that I recall from them was that was where Merry obtained the enchanted sword he used to stab the Witch-King, though frankly, receiving that as a gift from the Elves would have made just as much sense.

Incanus
No they wernt, as they were there to be part of the history of middle earth, how to Witch King unleashed tthe Great Plague upon Arnor and how its effects still lingered. It showed part of the power of Sauron.

Hewhoknowsall
It's always the Elves, Supernatural dudes, Numenor and (sometimes) Dwarves that make the magical enchanted badass pwning stuff. Men in LOTR get stuck with plain, simple stuff.

ares834
Originally posted by Incanus
No they wernt, as they were there to be part of the history of middle earth, how to Witch King unleashed tthe Great Plague upon Arnor and how its effects still lingered. It showed part of the power of Sauron.
BUt that dosn't maek it plot critical. It was an intresting little side story, nothing more.

Incanus
TOM IS VERY PLOT CRITICAL DUDE PETER JACKSON IS SOME GUY WHO HATE LOTR!!!! HE JUST WANTED TO GET MONEY FROM DIRECTING!!!! HE MADE ARWEN RESCUE FRODO NOT GLORFINDEL!!!!

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Incanus
No they wernt, as they were there to be part of the history of middle earth, how to Witch King unleashed tthe Great Plague upon Arnor and how its effects still lingered. It showed part of the power of Sauron. What Ares said. While the Downs were a part of Middle-Earth's history, they weren't necessary to continue and complete the storyline of the LotR trilogy.

Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
It's always the Elves, Supernatural dudes, Numenor and (sometimes) Dwarves that make the magical enchanted badass pwning stuff. Men in LOTR get stuck with plain, simple stuff. Yeah, Men got the lion's share of crap in Tolkien. But hey, that makes their survival and perseverance all the more impressive. Elves can go f*ck off with their immortality and their land of the gods.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.