Are movies better watched once ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
Do you enjoy a movie more when you first see it ?? I do

Watching the same thing again and agian can get borring

lord xyz
True. I would never go to see the same film more than once in the cinema, one of my friends even went to see Transformers 2 thrice. I was like, "are you mad?"

I do however enjoy and appreciate a movie more if I watch it a year later on DVD or on the TV. The memory of how good it is, and seeing parts you didn't see before, is a plus. As well as deleted scenes and outtakes. They're awesome.

T.M
wow.. I thought I was mad after going to watch Transformers: ROTF once.

MildPossession
Of course I enjoy watching a film the first time, and if it's good I will watch it again. I don't get the same excitement as when seeing it for the first time though.

T.M
Originally posted by MildPossession
Of course I enjoy watching a film the first time, and if it's good I will watch it again. I don't get the same excitement as when seeing it for the first time though.

Agreed, all though I think it depends on the movie. For example I got more enjoyment from watching The Usual Suspects on the 2nd even 3rd viewing because even though I knew what was coming, picking up the little hints through the movie was intriguing for me.

Kris Blaze
The enjoyment is a bit different when you watch a movie the second time.

Some movies are better, some might be more disappointing.

Darth Martin
I would never watch Transformers 2 more than once in the cinema. But films like The Dark Knight are worth another view.

dadudemon
I have a very strict policy of not watching movies more than once. This, of course, has very few rare exceptions.

My blu-ray and DVD library is VERY small because of this policy. Some films are just so awesome that I have to watch them more than once.

I just can't stand watching a film more than once.

Films I have watched more than once, recently (last 6 months):

Transformers 2,
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Role Models (technically, it was 1.5 times, as i didin't finish it the first.)
Ironman
The Incredible Hulk

All other films I watched in the last six months I've only seen once.

Usuaully, the movies I watch more than once are big movies with excellent effects, acting, character development, etc. The new batman movies are esepcially wonderful films at accomplishing all of the above.

MildPossession
I like to have all the films I've enjoyed on DVD, even if I don't watch them fully ever again, but I can pop them in and watch my favourite scenes whenever.

BruceSkywalker
some examples.. The Dark Knight 9 times

Star Trek 3 times

Transformers and Transformers Revenge of the
Fallen 3 times

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by coolmovies

Sure, most of the time. But for some reason I did not like Men In Black when I first saw it. The second time I saw it I loved it. Same with The Big Lebowski, I thought it was just okay. But now, after watching it forty billion times, I love the hell out of it more each time. Then there's movies like Star Wars, Master And Commander, and such where I can never get tired of them. I rarely watch a movie more than once though anymore because I have less time to watch movies in general, so if I watch one, it's usually a new release I have not seen.

Quiero Mota
I like watching movies I like that I haven't seen in a while. I saw Fatal Attraction last week for the first time in over ten years, and it was like watching a whole nother movie.

SnakeEyes
A lot of movies either aren't worth watching or are just worth watching once, but there are PLENTY that I'd glady, and do, watch more than once.

So, to answer your question, no, not all movies are better watched once. I own something like 300-something dvds, all worth watching multiple times.

darthmaul1
I treat a movie like a music CD, you listen to those more than once, so why not watch a good movie more than once.
Movies i have seen waaaaaayyyyy more than once
All star wars
all the good star treks.
alien aliens
predator predator 2
all the indiana jones
all the x-men
austin powers
cable guy
transformers
lord of the rings
gone in 60 seconds
almost all the bond movies
batman begins dark knight
jaws
lethal weapons
matrixes

jinXed by JaNx
There are some movies that only need to be seen once, some are made to be seen just once, others, however are made to be enjoyed at any time. I don't have a problem watching a movie multiple times. Yeah, it may get boring if you over indulge but thats why you watch your old favorites in phases. I usually go by genre, sometimes i follow Directors or actors but a movie can be enjoyed time and time again. There are a few exceptions especially the the ones you saw at a very sensitive time in your life or during change of perspectives. The worst movies to re-watch are the ones that you thought were so incredible but upon a second or third viewing you realize it was rubbish. It's like having a friend die when you realize how balls a movie really is that you thought was incredible. So, i guess this could apply to the hype machine. Those "event" movies are probably better left to be seen only once...,no matter the temptation. Keep your good experience and don't tempt a negative revisal after a second viewing.

maham
If a film's good I would want to watch it again. Sometimes you miss some parts or don't get something. Watching it again helps you to catch up on all that.

Sin_Volvagia
The only movies I know that are not worth watching again are comedy movies. Yeah it's all funny the first time but the magic dies after that.

For this reason, this is why I like stuff like Scary Movie. Sure it may lose its funny but there is at least some amusement.

EDIT: I take that back. Even those get boring.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by MildPossession

yeah same here.If its a movie I really love I'll watch it 3 or 4 times in the theater and enjoy it just not quite as much as the first time obviously.There are however,some movies where I will enjoy it just as much next time around as the first time/JFK for instance,cause upon further viewings of the film,I picked up key dialogue crucial to the story that I had missed before.

grimify
Originally posted by coolmovies

Unless the movie is really bad, I can watch it again and still enjoy it.

There are some films that I would never watch again: A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Kill Bill, Life Aquatic, Blair Witch Project, to name a few.

Then there are some films I've seen more times than I can remember, but I still enjoy watching them now and then. Such as Shawshank Redemption and Tombstone.

siriuswriter
only a very few. but those are movies that i still watch, just not back to back to back. maybe like, every few months. those movies are extremely good and have usually won quite a few oscars, but then they're so heavy that i have to chase them down a screwball the next time i watch something. examples would be : apollo 13, amadeus, forrest gump, schindler's list, the exodus...

and then there are movies where as a kid i watched them over and over until i was sick of them, or like the time harry potter four came out on dvd and i watched it every day for a week, once or twice a day. now i only bring it out only if i reaaaaally have to, like a harry potter marathon with my friends before the release of a new hp film.

but then again it's possible to have a perfect film that can be watched with out getting sick of it. liiike.... ocean's 11. even though i know the jokes are coming, it feels more like being a part of the ocean crew than just a viewer. ah, the scene when rusty stays silent and still and danny divines what rusty wants.

occultdestroyer
Yeah, majority of the films become lackluster after you view them more than once.
I watch most of the movies once in the cinema. I only have a very, very small library of movies.
But those movies are keepers for me.

Some of them namely:

Shawshank Redemption
V for Vendetta
Star Wars (original trilogy)
The Lord of The Rings (trilogy)
Ben Hur
The Exorcist
Himala (Filipino film)

Wei Phoenix
Some are and some aren't.

ByakuyaKuchiki
The Prestige is the only story driven film that's literally incredible the first time and any subsequent times you watch it.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by ByakuyaKuchiki
The Prestige is the only story driven film that's literally incredible the first time and any subsequent times you watch it.

My advice: watch more quality films. I like The Prestige just as much as the next guy, but there are plenty of incredible films out there that are just as good each time you view them.

ByakuyaKuchiki
No. For any film that relies solely on storytelling, only The Prestige is able to deliver so well on subsequent viewings. I've seen all of the quality films out there, and aside from the action, comedy, horror based films etc., which usually retain their genre specific merits on subsequent viewings (expanding on that, if someone finds a horror movie scary the first time they see it, it will likely have that same effect the second and third time etc..., or a fight scene or car chase will likely thrill the audience every time they watch it, or a comedy will likely have moments that people will find funny regardless of how many times they have seen it), no film but the Prestige manages to deliver so well on further viewings.

That ACDC Chick
some movies i really wanna see ill watch once then just feel bored with it afterwards

ReelingIn
nah, I think movies are better watched even the second time around. There always seems to be little "somethings" that catch your eye that you may not have noticed the first time around smile

wicker_man
I buy lots of films on the account that at any time I'll be in a mood to watch a particular film and I'll pull it out to suit my tastes. I can watch films over, and over again and not lose that same enojyment I did the first time around be that film Goodfellas or Night At The Museum.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Mr Parker
yeah same here.If its a movie I really love I'll watch it 3 or 4 times in the theater and enjoy it just not quite as much as the first time obviously.There are however,some movies where I will enjoy it just as much next time around as the first time/JFK for instance,cause upon further viewings of the film,I picked up key dialogue crucial to the story that I had missed before.

since this thread has been bumped again thought I would post this again in hopes that someone sees it.I always tell people if they are only going to see one more movie in their lifetime,make it JFK.since that movie came out,I have never looked at the united states of america the same way I used to when growing up.

K.Diddy
I thought JFK was boring

chezzy62
It all depends on who you are. There are probably 30-50 movies that I have seen multiple times. For example, I have seen Tropic Thunder 3 times, and it hasn't gotten old yet. I once saw Little Nicky about 3 times in 1 day. That movie is golden!

SnakeEyes
Also, something people haven't brought up - there are movies that DESERVE to be watched multiple times/movies that you gain more from or pick up new things from on subsequent viewings.

parneet384
Its really nice query be started i really appreciated to you -Recently i watched online harry potter and the half blood prince movie which seem to be amazing so i would be like to watch this movie again and again.

Phantom Miria
Originally posted by ByakuyaKuchiki
No. For any film that relies solely on storytelling, only The Prestige is able to deliver so well on subsequent viewings. I've seen all of the quality films out there, and aside from the action, comedy, horror based films etc., which usually retain their genre specific merits on subsequent viewings (expanding on that, if someone finds a horror movie scary the first time they see it, it will likely have that same effect the second and third time etc..., or a fight scene or car chase will likely thrill the audience every time they watch it, or a comedy will likely have moments that people will find funny regardless of how many times they have seen it), no film but the Prestige manages to deliver so well on further viewings.

V for Vendetta

BackFire
I've seen the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre over 100 times. So there.

Phantom Miria
I have yet to see that movie.
I have watched V for Vendetta probably as often as that and personally, I think the 4th or 5th time was the best with that movie. Once you have grasped all the minor events, it's just magnificent to watch again. And agian. And again.

I am just an amateur movie watcher, but I find the way the movie pieces itself together graceful and satisfying.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by K.Diddy
I thought JFK was boring

dont see how thats possible knowing everything you werte told in history class growing up was a bunch of lies and the movie is far more accurate to the truth.

monikaluchi
I am not agreed that it is become boring watching same film again. Do people listen a good song only once? obviously not . Like that which movie touches your heart, you will like to watch it again and again.

Here is a small list of movies i watch again and again when i get leisure,

Benhur, Sound of music, TITANCI, Commando .

shawn_michael
Some movies are forever and have some touchy concepts which forces us to watch it again and again. I have seen titanic many times but i dn't feel bored.

algo
can watch same movie again after a certain gap...we surely miss things when we watch it for first time...depends on the movie also...if the person is in film-making then he has to watch it more than once to grasp every detail of it...

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Some are and some aren't.

so very true.Like JFK is an example of one thats better watched the second and third time cause you catch information being said you did not catch the first time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.