The Hurt Locker

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
Just saw it last night. It's only just been released after playing the Toronto Film Festival last September. I wonder if it will get remembered at year end awards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hurt_Locker

Kathryn Bigelow is a double rarity - a female director who makes action thrillers, yet doesn't have a commercial sense or sticks with formula. Kind of an anti-Michael Bay. More in common with unsentimental filmmakers like Sam Peckinpah & Martin Scorsese. Her work can be just as hard edged as theirs.

jaden101
I watched the trailer for this a couple of weeks ago...Looks excellent. Unfortunately it'll probably be ages before I see it as it won't get a release over here at all.

SnakeEyes
I've heard nothing but good things and have been wanting to see this for a few months now. Unfortunately it's not playing anywhere near me at the moment, so I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
I watched the trailer for this a couple of weeks ago...Looks excellent. Unfortunately it'll probably be ages before I see it as it won't get a release over here at all.

You want a copy?

Haven't watched it yet, but I've had a digital copy (1.2gb) for 4-5 months now. Perfect DVD rip too, none of that Chinese shaky handheld camera shit.

roughrider
Originally posted by Robtard
You want a copy?

Haven't watched it yet, but I've had a digital copy (1.2gb) for 4-5 months now. Perfect DVD rip too, none of that Chinese shaky handheld camera shit.

That sounds alright. The film doesn't have a slick look; it was shot on Super 16mm film, so it has grain to it. But it helps with the snapshot look of immediacy.

MildPossession
From that trailer I got a Kingdom, and Buffalo Soldiers vibe, and that's all good. smile I'll do my thing to support women directors!! so I will be actually paying to see the film. Unlike some. stick out tongue

That end shot of the trailer is disturbing.

It's out 28th of August here in Britain.

roughrider
Originally posted by MildPossession
From that trailer I got a Kingdom, and Buffalo Soldiers vibe, and that's all good. smile I'll do my thing to support women directors!! so I will be actually paying to see the film. Unlike some. stick out tongue

That end shot of the trailer is disturbing.

It's out 28th of August here in Britain.

I paid my money for admission. I'm not into pirate DVDs. And I haven't been to the theatre for one of her films since Strange Days in 1995.

MildPossession
Jolly good, I'm not a fan of film piracy either.

Robtard
Neither am I, but 'every time I try to get out, they keep pullin' me back in!'

Watched it last night, was a good film.

jinXed by JaNx
This was a great little movie. It hooked me right from the beginning. I assume it will do the same for most people. I forget the guys name but he was in 12 and holding. He is the main character in this movie. I really enjoyed his performance. I think the main characters personality could have been explored and explained a bit more but it's not like we're given no explanation as to why he does what he does. I liked how it was never explained in an overly scripted or cinematic manner but i think it could have been flushed out a bit more. If you like tense and dramatic movies you need to check this one out. It definitely deserves all of the praise it's getting.

roughrider
And for those who wouldn't want to see it - because they don't want to get into the whole politics of Iraq - the film itself is neutral. It's just about people trying to do their jobs under extreme life-and-death pressure. You feel the slippery ground they tread, because every Iraqi face seems a mystery to the soliders, trying to figure friend from foe every day.

The Nuul
This looks better than Black Hawk Down that I love.

The Nuul
This was pretty good, it is different from BHD.

sophiajones
hey,

I sas this movie few days back, good movie.
But cannot watch 2nd time.

smilesmile

BackFire
This movie was amazing.

There was almost no plot in the film, it was purely character and situation based, but that made the film extremely realistic and even more tense, it at times felt like a documentary.

It was one of the best movies of the year, thus far.

Steak Knife
I will see this movie.

jaden101
Great movie. I especially liked the sniper bit. Two guys who essentially hated each other (or rather one hated the other) put into that situation and through barely speaking but acting as a team, coming out the other end as friends.

Unusual in that the only 2 really known actors both had small parts...David Morse and Guy Pearce.

Brilliantly done though.

The body bomb scene was pretty horrid though. Scary to think that shit actually happens.

SnakeEyes
Great movie. I especially liked the sniper bit. Two guys who essentially hated each other (or rather one hated the other) put into that situation and through barely speaking but acting as a team, coming out the other end as friends.

Agreed!

I saw this last night. I thought it was very good, probably the best film I've seen thusfar that's based on "the war on terror"/conflict in Iraq. I thought it did an excellent job illustrating that you honestly don't know who the enemy is over there; it could be anyone. There was something disheartening about the townspeople just watching these guys disarm bombs and stuff from their homes.

Also, I thought that the last ten minutes were pretty sad. The fact that Will tells his son that there's only one thing that he loves... and it's not his son. I was like... "****." The "war is a drug" quote was definitely the theme of the film and I thought Bigelow did a very good job portraying that.

roughrider
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Agreed!

I saw this last night. I thought it was very good, probably the best film I've seen thusfar that's based on "the war on terror"/conflict in Iraq. I thought it did an excellent job illustrating that you honestly don't know who the enemy is over there; it could be anyone. There was something disheartening about the townspeople just watching these guys disarm bombs and stuff from their homes.

Also, I thought that the last ten minutes were pretty sad. The fact that Will tells his son that there's only one thing that he loves... and it's not his son. I was like... "****." The "war is a drug" quote was definitely the theme of the film and I thought Bigelow did a very good job portraying that.

That's why the last shot just puts a chill down you. thumb up

(Those who've seen it, will know what I mean.)

kaonoshi
We just got this at a near by theater. Great movie.

rockycairns
Can't wait to see this, I like the Kathryn Bigelow films I have seen (Near Dark, Point Break and Strange Days) wasn't too keen on Blue Steel though.

Plus Jeremy Renner has the lead role and he was great in The Assassination of Jesse James.

roughrider
Maybe this film will get a limited re-release, even though it's coming to DVD in a week. It's been cleaning up various awards!
Los Angeles Critics Association - New York Film Critics Circle - Boston Society Of Film Critics - The National Society Of Film Critics...
They have all named it Best Picture Of The Year. thumb up

And the Golden Globes have yet to be handed out. It looks like a strong contender there.
Irony of ironies: If James Cameron and his 'Avatar' goes head-to-head with this film, directed by his ex-wife Kathryn Bigelow... big grin

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by roughrider
I paid my money for admission. I'm not into pirate DVDs. And I haven't been to the theatre for one of her films since Strange Days in 1995.

No need lol. You can watch it on Stagevu.

roughrider
I don't know how much stock to put into Avatar winning at the Golden Globes. I still want to see these two films go head to head at the Oscars. The Hurt Locker is the critical favourite of the year, and Avatar just keeps making money. Who is truly deserving?

SnakeEyes
Avatar certainly isn't deserving of anything other than technical awards imo.

MildPossession
^ Oh agree totally. Special effects it deserves to be in the nominations/win, but nominated for overall best film at the Oscars and so on... please.

As for The Hurt Locker. I watched half of it last night, enjoying everything about it apart from the camera work, I could only manage half of my blu ray last night because of the film giving me motion sickness, I tried to carry on but was just feeling terrible... so got the rest of it to watch tonight.

So far, it's not the masterpiece everyone is making it out to be, but it's still a good film.

SnakeEyes
Yeah I can see how the camera work in this movie could bug some people. I'm never bothered by it though, Cloverfield didn't make me uncomfortable!

Definitely finish it though; not sure if I'd call it a masterpiece, but I wouldn't hesitate to call it a great movie.

roughrider
^ Oh agree totally. Special effects it deserves to be in the nominations/win, but nominated for overall best film at the Oscars and so on... please.

As for The Hurt Locker. I watched half of it last night, enjoying everything about it apart from the camera work, I could only manage half of my blu ray last night because of the film giving me motion sickness, I tried to carry on but was just feeling terrible... so got the rest of it to watch tonight.

So far, it's not the masterpiece everyone is making it out to be, but it's still a good film.

Hand held cameras aren't a big part of Kathryn Bigelow's other films. I believe this was part of keeping the budget down on this film, shooting hand held with 16mm cameras - but it does add an immediacy to the scenes and tension.
It won Best Picture at the Producer's Guild of America awards this week, out of a group of ten films that look like the ten that could be nominated for the Oscars. It's chances are getting even better; 12 of the last 20 films that have won this award have won the Best Picture Oscar.

algo
one of the best movies of 2009, special mention should go to the treatment of it...how it is handled and executed in such a beautiful way...

MildPossession
I've been told Generation Kill was more or less like The Hurt Locker and made before it. So The Hurt Locker is nothing original? anyone.

jaden101
I've been told Generation Kill was more or less like The Hurt Locker and made before it. So The Hurt Locker is nothing original? anyone.

Generation Kill is similar in that it's more focused on the characters than the actual war. Because it's the marines they hardly saw any action in the opening days of the war because they were almost always a step behind the armoured divisions and the air bombardment. So for the most part it's them doing shitty recce missions and cracking jokes.

I thought "Over there" was a far better series that GK.

I don't think that either are particularly like HL though.

roughrider
Kathryn Bigelow won the Director's Guild award for Best Director this weekend - the first woman ever to do so.
This makes her a near-lock to take home the Oscar in a month's time!

shawn_michael
I have seen that many people talk about this movie. Here also a long discussion on this movie. i also want to see this movie. Is there any link to watch or download this movie?

roughrider
Originally posted by shawn_michael
I have seen that many people talk about this movie. Here also a long discussion on this movie. i also want to see this movie. Is there any link to watch or download this movie?

It's on DVD now. If it's available near you, go rent it.

xJLxKing
When I watched this movie, I know I was bored. There is nothing special, or unique about it to separate it from the other dozen of films with the same plot

MildPossession
Be nice to see a woman win the Best Director oscar. Unless one has and I totally missed it...

algo
"The Hurt Locker" is one of the best of 2009...got rave reviews from various film festival...good contender for the academy award...

coolmovies
I still need to see it is this the best war movie ever ?

xJLxKing
No

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by coolmovies
I still need to see it is this the best war movie ever ?

nope. avatar is.

no expression

laughing out loud

coolmovies
ok but i heard its good

xJLxKing
It's okay, but there is no war in it. Maybe a small battle, if you want to call it that

MildPossession
It's not meant to be a full on war film. Still plenty of intense action in it and still counts under the war sub genre.

The Nuul
This movie focus more on some characters doing their jobs than some group of Marines like in Black Hawk....

Rogue Jedi
It was shit, just rented it last night.

BackFire
Uhh...

Rogue Jedi
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh........

Ms.Marvel
i know, i know.

there wasnt enough brad pitt, right?

Rogue Jedi
Just didnt like it.

SnakeEyes
It wasn't shit though.

Rogue Jedi
Matter of opinion.

Ms.Marvel
nope

Rogue Jedi
Actually it is. Explain why it's not a matter of opinion.

BackFire
What in the movie was 'shit'?

Ms.Marvel
not enough brad pitt

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by BackFire
What in the movie was 'shit'? I just didn't get into it. It was a few Army guys looking for and disarming bombs, getting drunk, punching one another, buying DVD's, blah. If I wanna watch a good movie about bombs and disarming them, I'll watch Blown Away. Hurt Locker was not entertaining at all.

Ms.Marvel
i agree. there should have been more explosions and naked women.

its really unentertaining and unacceptable to make a movie that displays what actual war tends to be like... which is that its really boring.

BackFire
It was meant to be a psychological exploration, and that's what it was. Not the movie's fault you were expecting something that it wasn't interested in being.

Your overly simplistic and flawed summary of the film shows that you didn't understand the point of the film.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
i agree. there should have been more explosions and naked women.

its really unentertaining and unacceptable to make a movie that displays what actual war tends to be like... which is really boring. Mhm cuz that's all I care about roll eyes (sarcastic)

I liked Platoon. And as for the Brad Pitt thing, he's a good actor.

Ms.Marvel
obviously it is you who doesnt understand what the point of movie was, or should have been, backfire. it is a movie about war. ergo, it requires excessive cgi, loud noises, boobs, and if possible shia labeouf.

if it doesnt have that then its boring and in general not entertaining. obviously!

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by BackFire
It was meant to be a psychological exploration, and that's what it was. Not the movie's fault you were expecting something that it wasn't interested in being.

Your overly simplistic and flawed summary of the film shows that you didn't understand the point of the film. I knew what the movie was about going in, I wasn't expecting Saving Private Ryan, I just didn't like it. I got it, I just didn't like it.

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Mhm cuz that's all I care about roll eyes (sarcastic)

I liked Platoon. And as for the Brad Pitt thing, he's a good actor.

how does that help prove your point? platoon is a completely different type of movie with a completely different point of view and direction. theyre not comparable at all... thats like comparing the dark knight to sherlock holmes because they both have "detective work" in them no expression

Rogue Jedi
how does that help prove your point? platoon is a completely different type of movie with a completely different point of view and direction. theyre not comparable at all... thats like comparing the dark knight to sherlock holmes because they both have "detective work" in them no expression There doesn't have to be a point, I don't need points to prove why I think it's shit, I just think it's a shit movie that was boring. Why is it such a big deal that I didn't like it? OK, maybe my saying it was shit was too much, I retract that. I just.....didn't like it. Better?

Platoon was, as BF just posted, a "psychological exploration" of sorts, it was more than just a "war movie."

Ms.Marvel
i dont have a problem with you thinking it was shit, i just think your reasons for thinking its shit is shit... going off of this

i repsect your opinion though regardless yes

Rogue Jedi
i dont have a problem with you thinking it was shit, i just think your reasons for thinking its shit is shit... going off of this Well, what else was there? I did like the sniper scene, that was badass, and the scene where James was disarming the bomb in the car, but the rest was a train wreck of nonsense. Renner was great in 28 weeks later, he was the only bright spot in this movie.

If I really wanted to know what the life of a EOD was like, then I would have watched a documentary on it.

Ms.Marvel
hows that the movies fault though? the point of the movie was to show how different people react to the stresses of war and what the general life of an EOD is in Iraq. it did both of these perfectly... just because you didnt want to see what an EOD's life looks like doesnt mean the movie itself failed in anything...

Rogue Jedi
Which part? The last one? I was just saying that if the point of the movie was to show what it was like to be an EOD, a documentary could have been watched.

Robtard
RJ blows.

MildPossession
Does anyone take any notice of someone who lists one of their favourite films as Queen of the Damned?

stick out tongue stick out tongue stick out tongue stick out tongue

jaden101
Does anyone take any notice of someone who lists one of their favourite films as Queen of the Damned?

Indeed. His profile also shows that his bitterness has no boundaries.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Robtard
RJ blows.

Seconded!

Robtard
Indeed. His profile also shows that his bitterness has no boundaries.

And that he enjoys homoerotic art.

BackFire

I didn't know it was possible.

Rogue Jedi
haermm

Ms.Marvel
its ok rj bloodraye is one of my favorite characters she pwns! eek!

Rogue Jedi
yes But movie Rayne makes me weep......

Ms.Marvel
trufax. damn you uwe boll!

Rogue Jedi
Indeed. His profile also shows that his bitterness has no boundaries. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, I'm bitter roll eyes (sarcastic)

FistOfThe North
did this movie even come out in theatres. i know it's out on dvd and i thought it was a straight-to-dvd film. i 1st heard about movie like less than 2 weeks ago.

Rogue Jedi
haermm

roughrider
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
did this movie even come out in theatres. i know it's out on dvd and i thought it was a straight-to-dvd film. i 1st heard about movie like less than 2 weeks ago.

Yeah, it was first released to theatres last July. Didn't get the widest possible release, though.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
haermm

what's so funny?

Alpha Centauri
Probably that it was the most acclaimed cinema release of 2009 and you're asking if it was straight-to-DVD.

-AC

roughrider
NEWS FLASH: This film has swept the BAFTA's!

LONDON - Iraq war drama "The Hurt Locker" has won six prizes, including best picture, at the British Academy Film Awards.

Kathryn Bigelow took the best director prize for the film, beating nominees that included her former husband, "Avatar" director James Cameron.

"The Hurt Locker" also won prizes for original screenplay, cinematography, editing and sound. "Avatar" picked up awards for production design and visual effects.

"Avatar" and "The Hurt Locker" both went into Sunday's awards with nominations in eight categories, including best picture.

The awards, known as BAFTAs, are considered an important indicator of likely Oscar success.

- I'm beginning to think it will truly win at the Oscars in two weeks! Even James Cameron is getting on the bandwagon (or is he just being diplomatic for the voters), saying he hopes his ex-wife wins as well!

cool

MildPossession
A lot in the film business seem to think the Oscars will go in the directon of Avatar unfortunately, I hope they are wrong.

Yep, watched the BAFTAS yesterday, nice to see the film win the top awards, especially director!! let's hope she wins at the Oscars too.

Tired-Hiker
I just watched The Hurt Locker today and I liked it.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Probably that it was the most acclaimed cinema release of 2009 and you're asking if it was straight-to-DVD.

-AC

maybe it's because i've never even heard of the movie until it was out on dvd?

SnakeEyes
Straight-to-DVD movies usually don't get nominated for Best Picture.

FistOfThe North
um, they never do..

and I heard about the hurt locker before it was nominated for the oscars.

FistOfThe North
i was on the phone with a friend earlier today, told him i was watching The Hurt Locker and he goes, "..what the heck is that?" i'm like, it's a movie.

lol.

I want Avatar to win best pic tonight but i have a strong feeling this movies gonna take it even though Avatar should take it because it is the better movie, imo.

SnakeEyes
The Hurt Locker's way better than Avatar imo, which is one of the most overrated movies to come out in a while. Although, I don't think The Hurt Locker should win Best Picture either. Inglourious Basterds all the way! (even though it won't win).

K.Diddy
The Hurt Locker's way better than Avatar imo, which is one of the most overrated movies to come out in a while. Although, I don't think The Hurt Locker should win Best Picture either. Inglourious Basterds all the way! (even though it won't win).

erm I dont think Avatar is over rated at all,It's the best cinema experience I have ever had

Ms.Marvel

K.Diddy

confused Why?

Alpha Centauri
i was on the phone with a friend earlier today, told him i was watching The Hurt Locker and he goes, "..what the heck is that?" i'm like, it's a movie.

lol.

I want Avatar to win best pic tonight but i have a strong feeling this movies gonna take it even though Avatar should take it because it is the better movie, imo.

Avatar is a groundbreaking cinematic experience.

The plot and story itself is just good enough. The acting isn't great either.

As much as these awards ultimately mean nothing, if they did, Avatar wouldn't win Best Picture. It's nowhere near as good a movie as some of the other candidates.

If they had a Best Experience award, sure.

The Hurt Locker deserves it the most out of the movies listed. The actual best movie, Moon, was entirely snubbed, as was the man most deserving of Best Actor, Sam Rockwell.

-AC

roughrider
THE HURT LOCKER WINS BEST PICTURE & BEST DIRECTOR!!!!!!! Happy Dance

Plus four other Oscars - Original Screenplay, Sound & Sound Editing, and Film Editing!

Kudos to the wonderful Kathryn Bigelow, for defeating her tyrant of an ex husband!!

Kazenji
Originally posted by K.Diddy
confused Why?

Yeah exactly.....why ?

and Avatar best winning visual effect knew that was gonna happen.

roughrider

I liked Avatar, but I wouldn't even say it was the Best Science Fiction film of the year, never mind Best Picture - what with Star Trek, District 9, Moon, and maybe even Watchmen.

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by roughrider
THE HURT LOCKER WINS BEST PICTURE & BEST DIRECTOR!!!!!!! Happy Dance

Plus four other Oscars - Original Screenplay, Sound & Sound Editing, and Film Editing!

Kudos to the wonderful Kathryn Bigelow, for defeating her tyrant of an ex husband!!

BAM!

JUSTICE prevails! big grin

FistOfThe North
wow what an upset. the hurt locker, best pic over avatar.

it's a dissapointment reminiscent of the '78 Academy Awards where annie hall, fcuking annie hall, took the best pic home over star wars, the better film.

the aa's have lost about 75 percent of their cred with me. i'll be taking it less serious now..

loved the horror tribute though..

Ms.Marvel
star wars isnt a good film though no expression

it doesnt... really deserve best picture

and neither does avatar

Kazenji
obvisouly the acadamy don't does'nt like flashy movies getting best picture

if they were to get it needed a bit to those movies good acting and themes.

BackFire
Hurt Locker deserved it. The better movie won, for a change.

Ms.Marvel
well as far as "flashy" movies are concerned... lord of the rings won like the second most awards in one night in history...

thing about lord of the rings is that its strong in almost every category... it had the story and the acting and the FX... Avatar didnt lose because it was an fx juggernaut. it lost because fx is the only thing it had.

roughrider
star wars isnt a good film though no expression

it doesnt... really deserve best picture

and neither does avatar

If they did give it to Avatar, then James Cameron should invent a time machine and go back to the 1978 Oscars to ensure Star Wars wins Best Picture, because THAT was the biggest game changer in Hollywood history. After all, without Lucas making Star Wars, Cameron never gets serious about film making.

Kazenji
I would like to see Horror movies getting nominated again.

SnakeEyes

it's a dissapointment reminiscent of the '78 Academy Awards where annie hall, fcuking annie hall, took the best pic home over star wars, the better film.

Well let me break it down:

Star Wars >>>>>>> Avatar
Annie Hall >>>>>>> Avatar
The Hurt Locker >>>>>>> Avatar

I bet you haven't even seen Annie Hall, have you? It's a fantastic movie.

MildPossession
I'm very happy that Hurt Locker won, well anything won over Avatar for BEST FILM... and incredibly, incredibly happy that a woman won the oscar for directing, and for a wonderful film.

Shove your $230 odd million up your arse. smile stick out tongue Good to see it got the award it deserved though, Effects.

dadudemon
Avatar is a groundbreaking cinematic experience.

The plot and story itself is just good enough. The acting isn't great either.

As much as these awards ultimately mean nothing, if they did, Avatar wouldn't win Best Picture. It's nowhere near as good a movie as some of the other candidates.

If they had a Best Experience award, sure.

I'm with you, here, 100%, man. Couldn't have said it better, myself.

The Hurt Locker deserves it the most out of the movies listed. The actual best movie, Moon, was entirely snubbed, as was the man most deserving of Best Actor, Sam Rockwell.

-AC

I disagree. I liked Up more than the Hurth Locker. Hurt locker was kind of boring, at times. It felt cliched and done already. To me, it was strangee that it was even nominated. But, as MildPoss. suggested, it's nice that a woman won things, for a chance. It's kind of a finger to Cameron...quite funny.

And, Moon didn't deserve jack, imo. I seriously don't get the enjoyment EVERYONE is getting out of that film. I've already said my piece on it...so I'll leave it at that.

botankus
the aa's have lost about 75 percent of their cred with me. i'll be taking it less serious now..

Knee-jerk statement alert!

So...are you saying that everyone who does take it seriously has seen every film they've ever thought deserving actually win? Or maybe they're just better sports about it?

Originally posted by dadudemon
Hurt locker....felt cliched and done already.
I see what you're saying but I do not agree. I felt that outside of the opening scene and the fact that you knew their unit was going to fend off those snipers, the scenes were unpredictable. Or maybe that aspect in today's market is what makes it cliched?

dadudemon
Originally posted by botankus
Knee-jerk statement alert!

So...are you saying that everyone who does take it seriously has seen every film they've ever thought deserving actually win? Or maybe they're just better sports about it?

Lulz. I haven't taken them seriously when Chicago won the award for best costume design...when LotR: FotR was so abusrdly better than Chicago, it was rediculous. To me, it was like comparing an elementry school child's drawing to a Rembrandt. I would say that half of Hollywood, and just about every person face-palmed at that choice. Peter Jackson probably choked on his mead and turkey leg.

I see what you're saying but I do not agree. I felt that outside of the opening scene and the fact that you knew their unit was going to fend off those snipers, the scenes were unpredictable. Or maybe that aspect in today's market is what makes it cliched?

Cool. And, I find it quite awesome that you are maturely disagreeing with me. I don't see any reason people need to get up-in-arms. I can certainly see The Hurt Locker's appeal, I just think it is another cliched "realistic" war film...that's just slightly more stylized.

botankus
Or Titanic beating out Starship Troopers for Best Visual Effects.

Robtard

You may want to watch the Hurt Locker before you get upset. Granted, I'm 99.9% sure you'll still think Avatar the better film, but still.

dadudemon
Or Titanic beating out Starship Troopers for Best Visual Effects.

Really? It's hard to tell if you're serious or joking: you have a unique brand of sarcasm, at times.

Alpha Centauri

You do realise that just about every credible critic considered The Hurt Locker a favourite over Avatar, right?

It was the better piece of filmmaking.

Avatar didn't deserve to win anything outside of art awards. They've already had a travestied Best Picture award a couple years back when Slumdog won everything. I'm glad they didn't do it again.

-AC

Mr Parker
Just saw this movie,man this movie was stupid and boring as hell.what a waste to even make.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Kazenji
I would like to see Horror movies getting nominated again.

'99's "the 6th sense" was the last time a horror movie was nominated for best pic. The last horror to win it was '91's "Silence of the Lambs".

So don't hold your breath cause it rarely happens.

SnakeEyes
The Silence of the Lambs isn't even a horror movie.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Just saw this movie,man this movie was stupid and boring as hell.what a waste to even make.

Just when the idea of you having a terrible outlook on movies couldn't be any more set in stone, you go and freeze it in carbonite.

-AC

SnakeEyes
Pretty much.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Just saw this movie,man this movie was stupid and boring as hell.what a waste to even make. I didn't care for it, but that's a bit harsh.

Tired-Hiker
In hindsight, Hurt Locker was good. Nothing extraordinary.

One Free Man
Originally posted by Tired-Hiker
In hindsight, Hurt Locker was good. Nothing extraordinary.

jhonatancas
This actually won "best movie' on the academy awards .

roughrider
Originally posted by jhonatancas
This actually won "best movie' on the academy awards .

Yes, it did. Along with Best Picture honours from nearly every critics association in the USA, plus the BAFTA's in Great Britain.

super pr*xy
love this movie.. it had some of the most intense moments i've seen in a while..

rox
do not like this movie. it was so unrealstic. especially the part where jeremy renner befriends the iraqi kid. no solider would be that stupid to trust anyone over there that fast. maybe i was expecting to much for a war film.

Ax3l
Yeah, it's so unrealistic for a soldier to have heart and befriend and Iraq kid.

Even though they said that the people who were selling stuff near the base were all army approved.

Maybe the show was a little too mature for you.

rox
Originally posted by Ax3l
Yeah, it's so unrealistic for a soldier to have heart and befriend and Iraq kid.

Even though they said that the people who were selling stuff near the base were all army approved.

Maybe the show was a little too mature for you.

no it was to stupid and boring for me. clearly ur not military. you do not befriend an iraqi that fast and they sure aren't going to trust you that fast.

Ax3l
Originally posted by rox
no it was to stupid and boring for me. clearly ur not military. you do not befriend an iraqi that fast and they sure aren't going to trust you that fast. Clearly you don't understand the concept of character development.

RE: Blaxican
He also doesn't seem to understand the idea of a "stereotype", and how not everyone thinks and feels the same way.

rox
to ax3l and blaxican if i don't like the movie then i just don't no big deal.

also the character development is fine but it atleast should have had more suspense. disarming a bomb takes more than what was should nor did i say everyone feels that way, but most soliders take precussion because i know u have heard about the sucide bombs that are also done by the children.

now think about that.

SnakeEyes
"More suspense;" wtf?? Half the movie, if not more, was built around tension and suspense - that was the best aspect of the film imo.

Ax3l
Originally posted by rox
to ax3l and blaxican if i don't like the movie then i just don't no big deal.

also the character development is fine but it atleast should have had more suspense. disarming a bomb takes more than what was should nor did i say everyone feels that way, but most soliders take precussion because i know u have heard about the sucide bombs that are also done by the children.

now think about that. I would "think about that" if I could only understand what you were saying.

MildPossession
That more suspense comment made me laugh...

rox
"More suspense;" wtf?? Half the movie, if not more, was built around tension and suspense - that was the best aspect of the film imo.

the hell you say

SnakeEyes
What the f**k?

Myth
Originally posted by rox
no it was to stupid and boring for me. clearly ur not military. you do not befriend an iraqi that fast and they sure aren't going to trust you that fast.

I must say, I'm a little offended by the underlying racism of your posts. You do realize that people from Iraq are people and not all bad. Its sad when you think you couldn't befriend a child (who was approved by the military to be on the base btw) just because he is from another country and of another race.

Stall_19

So true. They didn't need to use those cheap gimmicks to create suspense. There was no music that need to be used, no fakeouts. Just a few soldiers trying to diffuse a car bomb without knowing who the enemy is or when they'll strike. Every moment the three soldiers were out in the open they were potentially in danger. The viewers and the main characters didn't know where the enemy was, didn't know if any of the civilians watching them were actually civilians or whether they were the actual individuals who planted the bomb. I don't know what more suspense the movie needed.

rox
Originally posted by Myth
I must say, I'm a little offended by the underlying racism of your posts. You do realize that people from Iraq are people and not all bad. Its sad when you think you couldn't befriend a child (who was approved by the military to be on the base btw) just because he is from another country and of another race.

first of all i am offended that you are playing the race card when it is not racial. it is a fact that those children overseas can be dangerous. people in iraq and the middle east in general have been fighting for years over ****ing nonsense. where he is from doesn't mean shit to me, but fact is some iraqi people are dangerous and you don't know which ones so he should not have been playing with him. i know people are going to say american children are just as bad but you don't see them planting bombs on people.

MildPossession
I can't remember the child in the film planting any bombs... all I remember was a bomb put inside the child, and I don't think he had a choice in the matter.

Placidity
Was okay.

Much overrated though. Definitely NOT Oscar-worthy.

Ms.Marvel
i think its about the level of standards in that particular year. i mean who was it competing against? avatar and like, star trek.

it was oscar worthy compared to those.

The Nuul
Dont buy this movie. These guys will make or are going to make a lot more just off of suing people at 150 K a pop.

Screw these guys.

alexrock23
I liked the movie. I don't think there was a political message. To me it was about how a soldier can get caught up in his job. I suppose he had a hard time re-connecting with the family and the "real world".

K.Diddy
beer I am watching this at the moment,about 50 minutes into it,so far,so good,will give my full opinion soon

K.Diddy
beer Ok,Now I'm not really into war movies,but being a self confessed ''movie geek'' I tend to end up seeing most of them anyway,Yes,I did enjoy this movie and would consider buying it,so I can watch it again.There isn't much of a plot to speak of,but I found myself entertained throughout the whole movie,It really captured the reality of war in my opinion

residentevil3D
best action , it keeps you at the edge of your seats

Darth Martin
I finally saw this Thursday night. It's nowhere near the masterpiece everyone is saying it is. I wouldn't even call it "great". Good, no doubt, but not sure how this won the Oscar over Inglourious Basterds.

It wasn't as intense as I thought it'd be either. Too much hype I suppose.

Aede Madavan
People typically overvalue realism emphasised films of the war and crime genre. I still thought it was pretty good though. Great even. But certainly not a masterpiece.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>