Mario vs Sonic

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lord xyz
Nintendo vs Sega, this idea has never been done before (I don't think), and I'm far to dumb to search.

So who do you think will win?

I think Sonic cos he's fast.

Wei Phoenix
A battle of popularity goes to Mario.

A battle of strength and powers goes to Sonic.

Phantom Miria
Sonic hands down.

MooCowofJustice
Mario.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Mario.

How so? Mario doesn't have Sonic's speed or durability, nor would he be able to go into a super form in this fight.

MooCowofJustice
This will be difficult to prove, but I want to see if I can do it. I'll be using feats from any game Mario has ever been in, since I was not limited.

Mario is a stated master of jumping. He spins fast enough to slow his decent and allow him to bounce of certain spikes. He smashes bricks with his head, can throw Bowser/knock him around by spinning, and more I shall have to look into.

What's Sonic's best strength feat? Mario's best non controversial one is tossing Bowser around. His best controversial is lifting a castle over his head.

Wei Phoenix
No problem, I'll do my best to prove Sonic's feats.

First off as of Sonic Unleashed we see that his standard equipment consists of the Chaos Emeralds and he can go Super Sonic at will with no ring limit. He headbutts giant robots all the time. I'll have to search or ask my friend about his greatest strength feat, but I know one of his greatest durability feats is surviving reentry into the earth's atmosphere and hitting the ground. Add in Sonic's superior speed then there should be no way Mario could hit him.

MooCowofJustice
Wouldn't Super Sonic make him invincible?

This topic requires a battlefield specification. It could make a difference.

I need more on Sonic surviving reentry. Was that in Super Sonic?

Phantom Miria
Sonic lifted a space rocket in Sonic X, if I remember properly. I know for a fact that he has thrown a car. Although strength is only somewhat relative, since Sonic can reach the speed of light at his strongest. Although even only at speed of sound would suffice to actually beat Mario.

Mario isn't fast enough to even react when Sonic comes at him. Jumping, blocking, fighting back will do him nothing.

XanatosForever
To be fair, Sonic's Homing and Spin Dash mean a different portion of his body will always contact his opponents at random.

Phantom Miria
Originally posted by XanatosForever
To be fair, Sonic's Homing and Spin Dash mean a different portion of his body will always contact his opponents at random.

What?

XanatosForever
Originally posted by Phantom Miria
Sonic lifted a space rocket in Sonic X, if I remember properly. I know for a fact that he has thrown a car. Although strength is only somewhat relative, since Sonic can reach the speed of light at his strongest. Although even only at speed of sound would suffice to actually beat Mario.

Mario isn't fast enough to even react when Sonic comes at him. Jumping, blocking, fighting back will do him nothing.

Anime feats? Now I know you know better than that. stick out tongue

Unless you're talking about a game titled Sonic X that I was never aware of. confused

Phantom Miria
Anime feats? Now I know you know better than that. stick out tongue

Unless you're talking about a game titled Sonic X that I was never aware of. confused

Only the anime is fresh in my mind. I'll point out that anime Sonic is weaker than game Sonic. At least in terms of speed. Possibly strength.

General Kaliero
Anime don't count, sorry to say. Games only.

Nevertheless, I'm gonna say Mario is outmatched here.

XanatosForever
What?

To claim Sonic headbutting as a durability feat can't work if it's not known for a fact that it's Sonic's head that is consistently in contact with his enemies at the point of their destruction.

Phantom Miria
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Anime don't count, sorry to say. Games only.

Nevertheless, I'm gonna say Mario is outmatched here.

I know. Just pointing out, and I do think it could and should be taken in consideration (Although not used as proof)

His speed suffice to beat Mario anyway, so the brought up strength feat can be ignored.

Incanus
Mario jumps onto Sonics head and squashes him like a Goomba........

Wei Phoenix
Wouldn't Super Sonic make him invincible?

This topic requires a battlefield specification. It could make a difference.

I need more on Sonic surviving reentry. Was that in Super Sonic?

No actually it was Sonic right after the emeralds were stripped from his body, I'll post the vid. He was in the Werehog form, but that form doesn't grant him durability or anything like that, just loopy arms and a more feral mindset. Well no superdurability has been proved yet.

starts at 5:16. The whole vid is a good for him though if you understand that Robotnik beat him with prep.

P8IxgooL480

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Incanus
Mario jumps onto Sonics head and squashes him like a Goomba........

No, Sonic's head is proven to be stronger than Mario's. Breaking bricks is not greater than busting machines and giant robots.

MooCowofJustice
This is why I want a specified battlefield.

Jumping doesn't take long, especially not for Mario. Mario can also spin in his jumps fast enough to bounce on spikes sharp enough to kill him, and one spin is all it takes to send Bowser spiraling across a small planet. Simply going into a spin might just knock Sonic away.

Teh OP must get back. A Battlefield is needed.

Phantom Miria
Jumping doesn't take long, especially not for Mario. Mario can also spin in his jumps fast enough to bounce on spikes sharp enough to kill him, and one spin is all it takes to send Bowser spiraling across a small planet. Simply going into a spin might just knock Sonic away.

Did you miss the part of my post that brought up the speed of light? mmm

MooCowofJustice
I needs to see it. I just watched Wei's video, and Eggman reacted to him fast enough in a giant robot...

Phantom Miria
That's Sonic Unleashed. He doesn't move at the speed of light there.

XanatosForever
Where did he achieve Lightspeed?

Wei Phoenix
I needs to see it. I just watched Wei's video, and Eggman reacted to him fast enough in a giant robot...

Honestly he was playing with Robotnik that entire time. The evidence is in the look on his face and tone of his voice, also the fact that he didn't instantly catch up to him as Super Sonic. Sonic is a playful character who only takes things seriously when it's life or death. In that same vid you see Sonic dodging laser, bullets and homing missiles.

MooCowofJustice
I still need to know where the Lightspeed thing happened. erm

And I need a battlefield.

XanatosForever
I'd like some responses to my comments, as well.

Wei Phoenix
I don't know about LS, probably when he and the other hedgehogs time traveled. He's fast enough without LS though, there is no way that Mario can hit him.

Speed feats and a blitz starts at 2:26

ArjgCARubXY

ScreamPaste
That doesn't show him moving faster than Sonic speed, which his name implies.

This thread doesn't include super sonic, either.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by ScreamPaste

I already stated it wasn't light speed and it was still faster than Mario has ever gone or can react to, and his name doesn't imply sonic speed really, he's way faster than that.

Here's another speedblitz and he falls out of the sky and manages to catch his food.

PRQrYNgukf8

Wei Phoenix

You can't really tell if that is faster than sonic speed, nothing really for you to math out.

Also the Emeralds are standard gear for him so he could go super if he wanted to. I can show three instances where he goes Super without having to go out and collect them.

XanatosForever
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
I already stated it wasn't light speed and it was still faster than Mario has ever gone or can react to, and his name doesn't imply sonic speed really, he's way faster than that.

Here's another speedblitz and he falls out of the sky and manages to catch his food.

PRQrYNgukf8

Hahaha, wow. I had completely forgotten about that title. What the hell were Blaze, Shadow, and Knuckles doing there, though? erm

Wei Phoenix
Hahaha, wow. I had completely forgotten about that title. What the hell were Blaze, Shadow, and Knuckles doing there, though? erm

Alternate timeline, so it's not really them, but past lives of theirs.

ScreamPaste
I'm just highlighting that the only times I know of where Sonic goes much faster than Sonic speed are during bouts of Super/Hpyer-sonicness.

Also, since when are the emeralds standard? o_O; They might as well just call the thread super sonic vs ___ then.

Also, Mario outruns and jumps on bullets. whistle

Wei Phoenix
I'm just highlighting that the only times I know of where Sonic goes much faster than Sonic speed are during bouts of Super/Hpyer-sonicness.

Also, since when are the emeralds standard? o_O; They might as well just call the thread super sonic vs ___ then.

Also, Mario outruns and jumps on bullets. whistle

In Sonic Unleashed he has them at the start, when he comes back to life in Sonic The Hedgehog instantly turns super.

Bullet Bills are slow and Sonic outruns bullets, missiles, lasers whatever.

Acrosurge
Also, since when are the emeralds standard? o_O; They might as well just call the thread super sonic vs ___ then.They aren't standard. Sonic either has to collect them himself, or be in proximity to someone who uses their power. Such was the case in Sonic the Hedgehog when Sonic was brought back to life as Super Sonic.

As for Sonic Unleashed, Sonic simply collected the emeralds prior to the opening sequence, much like the opening sequence of Sonic the Hedgehog 3, in which Knuckles knocks the Super out of Sonic with a single punch.

Don't get me wrong, Mario is fighting an uphill battle against Sonic's speed, but unless the OP states otherwise, the Chaos Emeralds aren't part of Sonic's standard gear. Likewise, neither are Mario's Super Stars.

ScreamPaste
I'd also like to point out, Nintendo won.

MooCowofJustice
This is why I still want a battlefield. The right battlefield would tip this in Mario's favor.

I'm not sure Sonic can hit Mario.

Acrosurge
I'm not sure Sonic can hit Mario. If we're not given a battlefield, then don't we assume an arena setting? Why wouldn't Sonic be able to hit Mario under those conditions?

I have to be honest, with just their standard abilities, I think Sonic takes this. His speed puts him over the top. Mario is strong enough to KO him, though, if he had some way to slow Sonic or trip him up. Luck maybe? Neither one has a significant durability advantage, IMO.

Add power ups and its a whole new ballgame.

MooCowofJustice
An Arena setting would make it easier to hit Mario, but still do it I'm not sure about. Mario jumps off of clouds, so he can almost jump off of air.

Durability Mario has, he has to be able to survive jumping from all the incredible heights he does in fact jump from.

Acrosurge
Durability Mario has, he has to be able to survive jumping from all the incredible heights he does in fact jump from. Sonic has the same durability. He jumps and falls from equivalent heights. That's why I didn't put one in front of the other in that category.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Acrosurge
They aren't standard. Sonic either has to collect them himself, or be in proximity to someone who uses their power. Such was the case in Sonic the Hedgehog when Sonic was brought back to life as Super Sonic.

As for Sonic Unleashed, Sonic simply collected the emeralds prior to the opening sequence, much like the opening sequence of Sonic the Hedgehog 3, in which Knuckles knocks the Super out of Sonic with a single punch.

Don't get me wrong, Mario is fighting an uphill battle against Sonic's speed, but unless the OP states otherwise, the Chaos Emeralds aren't part of Sonic's standard gear. Likewise, neither are Mario's Super Stars.

They do come standard, in the Sonic The Hedgehog promo, he had the emeralds, and in Sonic Unleashed, he had the emeralds, he started off with them and there was no explanation that he gathered them just before the fight, the fight with him and Robotnik seemed more spontaneous than anything.

This is why I still want a battlefield. The right battlefield would tip this in Mario's favor.

I'm not sure Sonic can hit Mario.

How can he not hit him when he is vastly faster than him? The homing attack literally homes in on his opponent.

Also the light speed Miria was probably talking about is his move aptly dubbed the Light Speed Dash.

If we're not given a battlefield, then don't we assume an arena setting? Why wouldn't Sonic be able to hit Mario under those conditions?

I have to be honest, with just their standard abilities, I think Sonic takes this. His speed puts him over the top. Mario is strong enough to KO him, though, if he had some way to slow Sonic or trip him up. Luck maybe? Neither one has a significant durability advantage, IMO.

Add power ups and its a whole new ballgame.

Sonic fell from outerspace twice. Once in the end of Sonic 2, and once in Sonic Unleashed. He's durable enough to reenter the earth's atmosphere, Mario can't KO him.

Add power ups and Sonic stomps even harder, no ring limit in his super form.

Acrosurge
They do come standard, in the Sonic The Hedgehog promo, he had the emeralds, and in Sonic Unleashed, he had the emeralds, he started off with them and there was no explanation that he gathered them just before the fight, the fight with him and Robotnik seemed more spontaneous than anything.So, you're suggesting that Sonic could spontaneously become Super Sonic at any time during Sonic the Hedgehog?

Wei Phoenix
So, you're suggesting that Sonic could spontaneously become Super Sonic at any time during Sonic the Hedgehog?

Sonic Unleashed he has them and it's at the start, and Unleashed is more current than Sonic. He also started out with them in 3. He hasn't had to collect them for a while IIRC.

Acrosurge
Sonic Unleashed he has them and it's at the start, and Unleashed is more current than Sonic. He also started out with them in 3. He hasn't had to collect them for a while IIRC. It really doesn't matter if Sonic has them at the start. They have to be collected in nearly every game, either as a part of the game or the storyline. They aren't a part of his standard power set, unless the OP says otherwise.

As for Sonic Unleashed, Sonic could not transform into Super Sonic until he was given the emeralds back. It is the same in every game; Sonic must collect, or must be given access the Chaos Emeralds before he can transform into Super Sonic. They are not a part of him. They are a power up.

MooCowofJustice
All Mario would have to be able to do is jump to avoid Sonic. I do not know of Sonic being able to jump anywhere near as high as Mario without the use of a spring. A simple spin would throw off the timing Sonic would use to hit Mario as he falls to a height Sonic can reach.

Acrosurge
All Mario would have to be able to do is jump to avoid Sonic. I do not know of Sonic being able to jump anywhere near as high as Mario without the use of a spring. A simple spin would throw off the timing Sonic would use to hit Mario as he falls to a height Sonic can reach. I dunno if I would claim superior height for Mario's jumps. Sonic can jump quite high as well. We could do a pixel by pixel comparison in the case of the old platformers (Super Mario Allstars/Mario World vs Sonic 3 and Knuckles for instance). In some cases, Mario actually has inferior jumping height for single jumps (Super Mario 64 vs Sonic Adventure/2) for instance. I dunno that Super Mario Galaxy is a good measure of Mario's jumping abilities, due to the variable gravity on the planetoids concerned.

As far as game mechanics are concerned, I'm pretty sure Mario has better mid-air control of his jumps than Sonic does. So that's something.

MooCowofJustice
I'm checking some Brawl cut scenes to find some of Mario's jumps.

If you look up "Super Mario RPG: Bowser fight" or something similar though, you can see Mario jump VERY high off of Bowser's head.

Acrosurge

If you look up "Super Mario RPG: Bowser fight" or something similar though, you can see Mario jump VERY high off of Bowser's head. I think you'll find that Sonic also jumps quite high off Eggman's Egg Viper in Sonic Adventure. And I'm not sure that Brawl cuts it as a credible source for feats (much like the Marvel vs Capcom series).

The Plumber deserves his dues, no doubt. I just don't think he's leaps and bounds *shot for puns* above Sonic in that department.

MooCowofJustice
It's the same Mario. I don't get why the feats wouldn't work. I'll post vids later.

Acrosurge
It's the same Mario. I don't get why the feats wouldn't work. I'll post vids later. Same reason we don't use Mega Man's feats from Marvel vs Capcom. Its a crossover in which the characters' ordinary powers are bent or broken so that they be equal to other characters.

Sidenote: I must be crazy debating both sides of this debate. big grin

MooCowofJustice
Brawl is not a crossover game. It's all Nintendo characters, except for Sonic and Snake.

Acrosurge
Brawl is not a crossover game. It's all Nintendo characters, except for Sonic and Snake. It contains different characters from different games and styles. It contains characters from outside Nintendo by your own admission. I'm not saying its completely invalid, just weaker evidence than something from Mario's series.

Besides, does this point really matter to you so much? Mario has been in tons of games. Shouldn't you be able to prove his superior jumping power using his core games?

MooCowofJustice
His games hardly have any cut scenes. Because Nintendo is cool like that.

Super Mario RPG is his best core series jumping feat. And its actually really good.

Wei Phoenix
All Mario would have to be able to do is jump to avoid Sonic. I do not know of Sonic being able to jump anywhere near as high as Mario without the use of a spring. A simple spin would throw off the timing Sonic would use to hit Mario as he falls to a height Sonic can reach.

Mario isn't faster than Sonic nor is his reaction time on par with Sonic so that won't work. Homing attack him and he's done.

If you look up "Super Mario RPG: Bowser fight" or something similar though, you can see Mario jump VERY high off of Bowser's head.

Bowser's head is not in this fight and Bowser is in no way comparable to Sonic and Brawl is not canon to anything Mario does. Crossover game of all Nintendo characters.

His games hardly have any cut scenes. Because Nintendo is cool like that.

Super Mario RPG is his best core series jumping feat. And its actually really good.

His jumping feats have nothing on Sonic's speed and strength. Sonic is too fast for him and jumping on Sonic's head isn't going to do much but bounce him right off.

MooCowofJustice
Mario isn't faster than Sonic nor is his reaction time on par with Sonic so that won't work. Homing attack him and he's done.

Bowser's head is not in this fight and Bowser is in no way comparable to Sonic and Brawl is not canon to anything Mario does. Crossover game of all Nintendo characters.

His jumping feats have nothing on Sonic's speed and strength. Sonic is too fast for him and jumping on Sonic's head isn't going to do much but bounce him right off.

It doesn't take a lot to jump. And I've yet to see any speed of Sonic's that Mario couldn't see and jump in time to avoid.

Bowser's head makes no difference. If anything it's more impressive because Bowser's head didn't springboard Mario. A head cannot do that.

Headbutting robots is not impressive as impressive as shattering bricks with your head.

Wei Phoenix
It doesn't take a lot to jump. And I've yet to see any speed of Sonic's that Mario couldn't see and jump in time to avoid.

Bowser's head makes no difference. If anything it's more impressive because Bowser's head didn't springboard Mario. A head cannot do that.

Headbutting robots is not impressive as impressive as shattering bricks with your head.

Bricks are harder than steel now? The sheer size of the robots are way more durable than bricks.

Show me some of Mario's best speed and reaction feats because I fail to see how he can keep up with Sonic. The fact that he could speed blitz the robots way before his chili dog fell back to the ground should suffice for his speed being way greater than Mario.

MooCowofJustice
Bricks are harder than steel now? The sheer size of the robots are way more durable than bricks.

Show me some of Mario's best speed and reaction feats because I fail to see how he can keep up with Sonic. The fact that he could speed blitz the robots way before his chili dog fell back to the ground should suffice for his speed being way greater than Mario.

No, but shattering bricks with your head is more impressive than headbutting a robot.

K.

ZRUSVEQaMRA

That is why Sonic cannot jump as high as Mario, and part of why the right battlefield would give Mario the win. Actually, that one's a better distance jump.

J2NxtSuY0Vc

Mario height jump feat.

pf5qQARxGm8

Mario's best foot speed feat. Not on par with Sonic, but it doesn't have to be.

g2hLaQOpwic

Mario dodges lasers. Yoshi does some serious sprinting too.

4NvmjFZb5vc

0.02 and 1.20, Better Mario height jump. Not even in Brawl.

Acrosurge
Sonic is faster than Mario. I really don't see how that's debatable. What IS debatable is Sonic's strength and Mario's jumping ability. Neither of these is really so far above the other, IMO. I guess that means you both can fight me now. smile

ScreamPaste
Mario's physicly stronger, he lifted a castle. <.< Calling that now.

MooCowofJustice
I already called it, but I didn't dwell on it because it's controversial.

ScreamPaste
How so, it's a cutscnee, he picks up the castle. It's canon.

Acrosurge
Mario's physicly stronger, he lifted a castle. <.< Calling that now. Sure, but the castle he lifted wasn't much bigger than Bowser himself. Calling that now. smile Mario's strong, though. More than most give him credit for.

Speaking to the Smash Bros vids, good, solid CG animation there. But nothing that surpasses what I would expect from Mario and Sonic. It works out to their average jumping heights from the games. As for the RPG clip, its impressive, but you have to admit that Mario did have the assistance of Bowser's head. Bowser's head is not in this fight.

ScreamPaste
Actually, because the scene takes place on the overland map, this is misleading. This is like claiming because the icon for Link on the world map in one of the games is about half the size of say.. Kakariko village, that Link himself is that size. Link is not half the size of Kakariko, obviously.

In any of these castles, when Mario enters them, they are huge and contain massive levels.

Wei Phoenix
No, but shattering bricks with your head is more impressive than headbutting a robot.

K.

ZRUSVEQaMRA

That is why Sonic cannot jump as high as Mario, and part of why the right battlefield would give Mario the win. Actually, that one's a better distance jump.

J2NxtSuY0Vc

Mario height jump feat.

pf5qQARxGm8

Mario's best foot speed feat. Not on par with Sonic, but it doesn't have to be.

g2hLaQOpwic

Mario dodges lasers. Yoshi does some serious sprinting too.

4NvmjFZb5vc

0.02 and 1.20, Better Mario height jump. Not even in Brawl.

Brawl feats do not apply here, Mario wasn't running really fast at all, if you want to use Brawl feats then he must be really weak seeing as he couldn't hurt those R.O.B.s, but alas Brawl feats are not canon here since they are a crossover.

I don't think you understand that Sonic completely destroys robots when he headbutts them, nothing left but a little animal on the inside. That is way more impressive than shattering bricks.

MooCowofJustice
Bowser's head is no assistance. Head's cannot springboard, because the neck is too weak. Fact is he only used Bowser as a platform, taking away minimal height.

And the jump before that is fairly impressive as well. He jumps from the ground onto the chandelier, both of which then rise.

Edit: Seriously? Brawl feats won't apply? That's dumb. The only two that crossover are Snake and Sonic, both of whom are watered down, nothing else really changed.

Wei Phoenix
Furthermore Sonic has survived reentry into the earth's atmosphere and once hit the ground face first. He is too durable.

ScreamPaste
Not really, until those robots are given durability feats. They're generally much thinner than bricks, and clearly hollow if there are animals inside.

MooCowofJustice
I need to see this.

ScreamPaste
in Galaxy Mario survives some form of Cosmic catastrophe as Bowser's last reactor galaxy is destroyed <.<

Besides, Mario's castle lifting > atmospheric re-entry.

Wei Phoenix
Bowser's head is no assistance. Head's cannot springboard, because the neck is too weak. Fact is he only used Bowser as a platform, taking away minimal height.

And the jump before that is fairly impressive as well. He jumps from the ground onto the chandelier, both of which then rise.

Edit: Seriously? Brawl feats won't apply? That's dumb. The only two that crossover are Snake and Sonic, both of whom are watered down, nothing else really changed.

No even SSBB proves that there are different universes. If they were all of the same universe then fine, but they're not. Mario doesn't live in the same world Captain Falcon lives in therefore they are crossing over.

Neo Darkhalen
Furthermore Sonic has survived reentry into the earth's atmosphere and once hit the ground face first. He is too durable.

Truth be told he was a werehog during that time and he fell onto Chip (Aka Light Gaia)

Phantom Miria

SSB isn't canon. Like how Marvel Vs. Capcom isn't, or DC Vs. Mortal Kombat.

ScreamPaste
in Galaxy Mario survives some form of Cosmic catastrophe as Bowser's last reactor galaxy is destroyed <.<

Besides, Mario's castle lifting > atmospheric re-entry. Because it got ignored.

Wei Phoenix
Not really, until those robots are given durability feats. They're generally much thinner than bricks, and clearly hollow if there are animals inside.

Not hollow, and the Death Egg zone proves this. Metal Sonic is not hollow either. How are they thinner than bricks? The animals are from the first 3, the ones in those videos have no animals in them. Once again Metal Sonic is anything but hollow.

SCcY9HciQVc

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Truth be told he was a werehog during that time and he fell onto Chip (Aka Light Gaia)

Werehog is no more or less durable, and he fell into the earth during Sonic 2.

Neo Darkhalen
Werehog is no more or less durable, and he fell into the earth during Sonic 2.

I don't remember that, I remember him leaving the death egg as super sonic then landing on tails plane....or was i missing something?

MooCowofJustice
Not hollow, and the Death Egg zone proves this. Metal Sonic is not hollow either. How are they thinner than bricks? The animals are from the first 3, the ones in those videos have no animals in them. Once again Metal Sonic is anything but hollow.

SCcY9HciQVc

That is not headbutting.

You have to prove Werehog is no more or less durable. When normal Sonic survives reentry, tell me.

I need to see this too, dammit. Whatever he fell from might not even be reentry. It might just be really high up.

Wei Phoenix
C2TJ2uW_kPo

Fast forward for the ending.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
I don't remember that, I remember him leaving the death egg as super sonic then landing on tails plane....or was i missing something?

He didn't fight as Super Sonic.

That is not headbutting.

You have to prove Werehog is no more or less durable. When normal Sonic survives reentry, tell me.

I need to see this too, dammit. Whatever he fell from might not even be reentry. It might just be really high up.

The fact that he wasn't seen taking anything that regular Sonic could take should suffice, and the fact that things that would hurt regular Sonic.

He didn't fall from really high up. The Death Egg was in space.

He curls into a ball and hits them with his head. In the previous new gen videos I showed him flying into robots...head first...

What part of his body do you think he hits them with when he homing attacks them?

ScreamPaste
.. That was barely a durability feat, all it proved is he can survive in space.

Wei Phoenix
.. That was barely a durability feat, all it proved is he can survive in space.

And he can reenter the earth's atmosphere without burning up. He actually hit the ground in Unleashed.

How about this, you try reentering the Earth's atmosphere with a space suit on. Tell me how that goes.

ScreamPaste
You don't burn up in the atmosphere unless you're moving incredibly fast anyway. This doesn't occur from just jumping out of a ship above the stratosphere, Sonic was only moving at terminal velocity, tops.

It'd be a better durability feat if he ran full speed into a wall.

ScreamPaste

Besides, Mario's castle lifting > atmospheric re-entry.

Edit: STOP IGNORING ME D:

Wei Phoenix
You can't really math out Sonic's speed when he is falling, and regardless, he did it again in Unleashed.

He'd run through the wall.

Wei Phoenix
Edit: STOP IGNORING ME D:

What do you want me to say? No it's not, there you happy? You can have all the strength in the world but you can't hit someone that is much faster than you see Flash vs Juggernaut.

ScreamPaste
I didn't use math, I used basic logic. :P Unless somethign occured to accellerate Sonic to meteoric speed, there's no reason he should burn up. It's not a great durability feat.

We don't see Sonic running through walls often. You missed the point. He can run faster than he was falling. o_O

MooCowofJustice

The fact that he wasn't seen taking anything that regular Sonic could take should suffice, and the fact that things that would hurt regular Sonic.

He curls into a ball and hits them with his head. In the previous new gen videos I showed him flying into robots...head first...

What part of his body do you think he hits them with when he homing attacks them?

Taking atmospheric reentry would be something regular Sonic could not.

It doesn't look like it's in space to me. It looks to be just really high up, or else Sonic wouldn't have fallen back to Earth fast enough to breath. Especially with a blast force of an explosion propelling him forward. I think he'd have gone into orbit.

He curls into a ball and just hits them with whatever. Heck, I thought the whole reason he had a spin attack was because he could spin so fast the spikes on his head would turn into a blade.

His spikey hair. Or maybe even his feet, his legs should be uber strong since he runs that fast.

Wei Phoenix
I didn't use math, I used basic logic. :P Unless somethign occured to accellerate Sonic to meteoric speed, there's no reason he should burn up. It's not a great durability feat.

We don't see Sonic running through walls often. You missed the point. He can run faster than he was falling. o_O

And did I say he was falling at top speed? I still want to know how does Mario hit him.

ScreamPaste
By setting a castle down. Even Sonic can't out run an area attack of that size. :P

Wei Phoenix
Taking atmospheric reentry would be something regular Sonic could not.

It doesn't look like it's in space to me. It looks to be just really high up, or else Sonic wouldn't have fallen back to Earth fast enough to breath. Especially with a blast force of an explosion propelling him forward. I think he'd have gone into orbit.

He curls into a ball and just hits them with whatever. Heck, I thought the whole reason he had a spin attack was because he could spin so fast the spikes on his head would turn into a blade.

His spikey hair. Or maybe even his feet, his legs should be uber strong since he runs that fast.

Look at the window in the background, you can see they are in space. His hair aren't spikes at all.

Why would he roll into a ball to kick someone, and you don't need super strong legs to run fast.

Wei Phoenix
By setting a castle down. Even Sonic can't out run an area attack of that size. :P

So a castle is just going to be lying around? Also yes he could outrun a castle being thrown at him.

MooCowofJustice
I still want to know how does he hit Mario when he can't reach him.

Simple mindgames should work for Mario. He falls in a spin long enough to let Sonic try to time it, falls faster and kicks Sonic in the face. I've yet to see Sonic move at a speed fast enough to not be seen.

If Sonic ran that fast into a Mario punch/kick I couldn't even describe the degree of destruction Sonic's face has just been hit with.

Wei Phoenix
I still want to know how does he hit Mario when he can't reach him.

Simple mindgames should work for Mario. He falls in a spin long enough to let Sonic try to time it, falls faster and kicks Sonic in the face. I've yet to see Sonic move at a speed fast enough to not be seen.

If Sonic ran that fast into a Mario punch/kick I couldn't even describe the degree of destruction Sonic's face has just been hit with.

So Mario is a tactical genius now?

Light Speed Dash is one of his moves and he can home in on him with the homing attack.

When has Mario even used tactics like that?

Do you think they saw Sonic when he was running around them in Sonic The Hedgehog 360? all they saw was a blue blur running around them and seeming as if it was in all places at once. I also showed the Chili dog feat where he blitzed them before it hit the ground.

Mario can't fly, he gets homing attacked as soon as he hits the ground.

ScreamPaste
Mario survived galaxy wide catastrophe <_<; lolhomingattacks.

Neo Darkhalen

No not the battle but when he jumped out of the death egg.

Wei Phoenix
All I ask for is a feat that puts Mario's reaction timing on par with Sonic's speed. If no one can prove that he is able to keep up with or even hit Sonic then there is no chance he can win.

ScreamPaste
That'd technicly make it a stalemate, until Mario casually walks over to a castle, lifts it, and drops it on Sonic. |:

Wei Phoenix
C2TJ2uW_kPo

Fast forward for the ending.

Here he jumps out of the Death Egg in his regular form. You may be thinking of the other time he fought Dr. Robotnik.

MooCowofJustice
So Mario is a tactical genius now?

Light Speed Dash is one of his moves and he can home in on him with the homing attack.

When has Mario even used tactics like that?

Do you think they saw Sonic when he was running around them in Sonic The Hedgehog 360? all they saw was a blue blur running around them and seeming as if it was in all places at once. I also showed the Chili dog feat where he blitzed them before it hit the ground.

Mario can't fly, he gets homing attacked as soon as he hits the ground.

Tactical genius is not required for simple mindgames.

Homing Attack will need more distance, and I have not seen it move that fast.

He hasn't needed to before. But I've no doubt he could do it.

They still saw something. Is it that hard for one of them to stick a foot out and trip him?

All it takes is one quick Spin, and Sonic's timing is off, and Mario is free to jump again or do whatever.

Wei Phoenix
That'd technicly make it a stalemate, until Mario casually walks over to a castle, lifts it, and drops it on Sonic. |:

Sonic is too fast, and why would there be a random castle around?

Wei Phoenix
Tactical genius is not required for simple mindgames.

Homing Attack will need more distance, and I have not seen it move that fast.

He hasn't needed to before. But I've no doubt he could do it.

They still saw something. Is it that hard for one of them to stick a foot out and trip him?

All it takes is one quick Spin, and Sonic's timing is off, and Mario is free to jump again or do whatever.

No not really, they would probably lose their foot given the speed he is going and once again, give me something that proves his reaction speed is on par with Sonic's offensive speed.

Now we're speculating on something he might be able to do?

Mario is outclassed when it comes to the Sonic Characters. Any of the Hedgehogs would beat him.

MooCowofJustice
Jumping does not require reaction speed.

You're assuming he can't kick or punch.

Maybe Shadow or someone else if they have TK.

Wei Phoenix
Shadow or Silver would stomp him, Shadow doesn't need TK to beat him either.

Show me proof that Mario can react the way you say he can and prove he has the speed to do so please.

ScreamPaste
Without somethign large to drop on sonic, it's a stalemate because Mario's too durable.

Until Sonic gets tired and screws up. See Spiderman vs Collossus.

MooCowofJustice
Jumping does not require reaction speed.

I've yet to see a speed Sonic can run at that can't be seen. If it can be seen it can likely be reacted to. Heck, if Sonic's as fast as you say Mario might just be able to spin right away and Sonic's speed works against him.

Wei Phoenix
Without somethign large to drop on sonic, it's a stalemate because Mario's too durable.

Until Sonic gets tired and screws up. See Spiderman vs Collossus.

Sonic get tired before Mario?

Furthermore Spider-Man can't really hurt Colossus and Colossus doesn't get tired.
Colossus doesn't get fatigued at all.

MooCowofJustice
Sonic get tired before Mario?

Furthermore Spider-Man can't really hurt Colossus and Colossus doesn't get tired.
Colossus doesn't get fatigued at all.

Mario's not doing anything but jumping or getting hit by Scream's argument.

Spider-Man was the Sonic in that situation.

Phantom Miria

You're forgetting the fact that Mario wouldn't hit Sonic. With, or without castle. You can talk however much you want in favor for Mario's strength, but he'll never get a chance to use it. Even the slower incarnations of Sonic is adequate to avoid being hit by Mario or his castle.

And Sonic can always BFR Mario. So "stalemate" is out of the question.

MooCowofJustice
Wut's BFR?

Phantom Miria
Wut's BFR?

Battlefield removal. Victory through being the only combatant on the field. Strong as Mario is, he's still tiny and light weight.

MooCowofJustice
We need a specified Battlefield.

Giving Mario his hammer would be nice too.

Phantom Miria
The battleground could help a little.

To what purpose? Fine as Mario is, he's not even fast enough to fight someone the speed of sound. Sonic is at least hyper sonic speed.

MooCowofJustice
Spins help. Sonic has to get close enough to hit him.

The Battleground could help lots.

ScreamPaste
Wait, how is Sonic going to BFR Mario? If he tries to grab him he's walked into Mario's hands.

Also, Sonic can't get out from under a castle beforee it falls less then a foot, Mario's not much bigger than Sonic.

XanatosForever
Two things I'm going to address. First, the assumption that the Spin Dash always results in a headbutt attack. Sonic is spinning at who knows how many RPMs, and it's that revolution that's giving him the torque and force for his power. It doesn't matter what part of his body is making contact, the force is what does the damage, so for all we know, those bots could be getting destroyed by Sonic's tiny little tail.

Secondly, the talk of giving Mario his hammer could help even the playing field. With the mustachioed meatball's prodigious strength, a simple ground pound should be enough to trip up the blue blur. Hell, even his regular butt stomp ground pound should produce the same effect. Sonic would have to keep on his toes in this match.

MooCowofJustice
I'm currently watching Let's Play videos of Mario games for more feats. I'll find something to let Mario win this fight.

Wei Phoenix
I've yet to see a speed Sonic can run at that can't be seen. If it can be seen it can likely be reacted to. Heck, if Sonic's as fast as you say Mario might just be able to spin right away and Sonic's speed works against him.

Ok now I believe that you are just ****ing around and not debating seriously, which is something I didn't expect from you. You can see a bullet and you can see it when it's fired, yet you can't react to it accoridingly.

Two things I'm going to address. First, the assumption that the Spin Dash always results in a headbutt attack. Sonic is spinning at who knows how many RPMs, and it's that revolution that's giving him the torque and force for his power. It doesn't matter what part of his body is making contact, the force is what does the damage, so for all we know, those bots could be getting destroyed by Sonic's tiny little tail.

Secondly, the talk of giving Mario his hammer could help even the playing field. With the mustachioed meatball's prodigious strength, a simple ground pound should be enough to trip up the blue blur. Hell, even his regular butt stomp ground pound should produce the same effect. Sonic would have to keep on his toes in this match.

I was talking about the homing attack not the spin dash.

Wait, how is Sonic going to BFR Mario? If he tries to grab him he's walked into Mario's hands.

Also, Sonic can't get out from under a castle beforee it falls less then a foot, Mario's not much bigger than Sonic.

Mario doesn't have the reaction skills to counter a throw from Sonic, he could be in his face in less than a second and throw accordingly.

The castle argument is wishful thinking.

MooCowofJustice
Ok now I believe that you are just ****ing around and not debating seriously, which is something I didn't expect from you. You can see a bullet and you can see it when it's fired, yet you can't react to it accoridingly.

Mario doesn't have the reaction skills to counter a throw from Sonic, he could be in his face in less than a second and throw accordingly.

The castle argument is wishful thinking.

Nah, but sometimes I reach. I need to stop that. Seriously though, I don't think it's possible for a human to see a bullet as it flies through the air after being fired.

I know that wasn't for me, but the homing attack still spins if I'm thinking of the right thing. And I don't think the Homing Attack is instant either, if I recall it takes a second before it launches.

Does Sonic have a serious arm strength feat? How much can he lift?

XanatosForever

My statement still holds, as Sonic does not simply rush forward head-first during a homing attack, but is once again in ball form, spinning rapidly.

Wei Phoenix
My statement still holds, as Sonic does not simply rush forward head-first during a homing attack, but is once again in ball form, spinning rapidly.

The homing attack doesn't take the speed a spin dash needs, there's no warm up at all, just jump, curl up and home in. There's little spinning.

XanatosForever
There's a quite a bit of spin leading to a homing attack, actually. Certainly not as much as a Spin Dash, but it's there. I don't know how canon the requirement of Sonic jumping before Homing is, but in all instances I have ever seen the Homing attack used, he is spinning before he makes contact, and significantly.

ScreamPaste
Sonic would have to throw Mario really far... and then Mario coudl just come back.. but if he grabbed onto Mario, and Mario grabbed back, Mario would crush him. And if Sonci kept doign this to try and BFR Mario, Mario would catch on. no expression

Phantom Miria

Not sure you realise just how fast hyper sonic is, and I'm merely being kind and using hyper rather than the speed of light (Which he's stated able to attain) The castle could be falling and Sonic be in the middle beneath it and it wouldn't take him a second to move out of the way.

Besides, Sonic walked of re-entry. He's impacting Earth at a force of 25 mach or more. Damageing him won't be so easy.

Wei Phoenix
Sonic would have to throw Mario really far... and then Mario coudl just come back.. but if he grabbed onto Mario, and Mario grabbed back, Mario would crush him. And if Sonci kept doign this to try and BFR Mario, Mario would catch on. no expression

No he can't come back if he's BFR'd. That's the end of the match.

Mario doesn't have the reaction time to grab him right after Sonic grabbed him and threw him.

Catch on? Yeah he would know he was trying to BFR him but there wouldn't be much he could do about it. You could catch on that I was shooting a gun at you, but you wouldn't be able to dodge accordingly and weave past the bullets even if you knew I was going to fire.

Q'Anilia
No he can't come back if he's BFR'd. That's the end of the match.

Mario doesn't have the reaction time to grab him right after Sonic grabbed him and threw him.

Catch on? Yeah he would know he was trying to BFR him but there wouldn't be much he could do about it. You could catch on that I was shooting a gun at you, but you wouldn't be able to dodge accordingly and weave past the bullets even if you knew I was going to fire.

Kinda like how Hulk threw Wolverine over that mountain. Wolverine may not have died, but he was defeated.

Acrosurge
There's a quite a bit of spin leading to a homing attack, actually. Certainly not as much as a Spin Dash, but it's there. I don't know how canon the requirement of Sonic jumping before Homing is, but in all instances I have ever seen the Homing attack used, he is spinning before he makes contact, and significantly. I agree with this. At the very least, the Homing Attack uses equivalent spin as a spin jump, if not more. I'm not sure where the notion came from that Sonic head-butts robots. We rarely see this. On the other hand, we almost always see him spinning through robots.

I want to return to the 'Mario lifting a castle' thing, mostly because I want to make sure everyone (including me), clearly understands it. First, is this the castle-lifting feat we're talking about at 2:30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMB3QbH2CQ4&feature=related

Is that the one, or is there another that is being referred to here?

Sin_Volvagia
I see; so both ScreamPaste and MooCowJustice are Nintendo fanboys.

The castle-lift "feat" is not to be taken seriously. Does that mean Mario has a castle-wiper too? Can Mario survive a castle explosion yet die when attacked by a turtle?

Sonic would wipe the floor with Mario, Link, and Sephiroth at the same time.

Phantom Miria
Originally posted by Sin_Volvagia

The castle-lift "feat" is not to be taken seriously. Does that mean Mario has a castle-wiper too? Can Mario survive a castle explosion yet die when attacked by a turtle?

What it means is that mountains need bandaid yes Just like how it means that Bowser is a lot more heavy than a castle.

Wei Phoenix
I agree with this. At the very least, the Homing Attack uses equivalent spin as a spin jump, if not more. I'm not sure where the notion came from that Sonic head-butts robots. We rarely see this. On the other hand, we almost always see him spinning through robots.

I want to return to the 'Mario lifting a castle' thing, mostly because I want to make sure everyone (including me), clearly understands it. First, is this the castle-lifting feat we're talking about at 2:30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMB3QbH2CQ4&feature=related

Is that the one, or is there another that is being referred to here?

What else could he be hitting him with? Is it his legs, arms or back? Not his stomach. The head is the only logical part of his body that he is attacking with.

Originally posted by Q'Anilia
Kinda like how Hulk threw Wolverine over that mountain. Wolverine may not have died, but he was defeated.

Yes.

Meh, add Silver and Shadow and the option to use the emeralds.

Acrosurge
What it means is that mountains need bandaid yes Just like how it means that Bowser is a lot more heavy than a castle. It means that a certain amount of toonforce (to borrow the term from CBR) is in play in the Mario Bros series. Everyone should be taking that into account.

What else could he be hitting him with? Is it his legs, arms or back? Not his stomach. The head is the only logical part of his body that he is attacking with.His spines. He's a hedgehog. Hedgehogs roll into balls with their pointy hairs sticking outward to ward off predators. Team Sonic used this concept as the basis for Sonic's moves. Sonic rolls into a ball with his spines outward and smashes into the enemy at high speed. This is what we've consistently seen. Not headbutts.

Also relevant to castles, for those who haven't seen it:

oIzAqcsT1Sc

Wei Phoenix
It means that a certain amount of toonforce (to borrow the term from CBR) is in play in the Mario Bros series. Everyone should be taking that into account.

His spines. He's a hedgehog. Hedgehogs roll into balls with their pointy hairs sticking outward to ward off predators. Team Sonic used this concept as the basis for Sonic's moves. Sonic rolls into a ball with his spines outward and smashes into the enemy at high speed. This is what we've consistently seen. Not headbutts.

Also relevant to castles, for those who haven't seen it:

oIzAqcsT1Sc

Well while we're strolling down Random Lane...

Fun Fact: Sonic is actually a Cyclops Hedgehog.

MooCowofJustice

I find Nintendo games to be more enjoyable that many other franchises these days.

Master Chief's armor took an atmospheric reentry, should any enemy bullets do damage to it at all? No, but they do in gameplay. Can you tell me why?

I don't know about that.

Q'Anilia
I find Nintendo games to be more enjoyable that many other franchises these days.

Master Chief's armor took an atmospheric reentry, should any enemy bullets do damage to it at all? No, but they do in gameplay. Can you tell me why?

I don't know about that. Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
gameplay

ScreamPaste

I'd like to point out Mario survived galaxy wide catastrophe at the end of Mario Galaxy. -.o;

And this is Sonic, not Super Sonic, he cannot attain hyper-sonic/Super sonic in this debate.

Sonic can't hurt Mario, and a bullet does not grab you and throw you. If Sonic grabbed Mario, lifted and threw him, Mario would stop him from doing so the second time, and pop his skull.

Wei Phoenix
I'd like to point out Mario survived galaxy wide catastrophe at the end of Mario Galaxy. -.o;

And this is Sonic, not Super Sonic, he cannot attain hyper-sonic/Super sonic in this debate.

Sonic can't hurt Mario, and a bullet does not grab you and throw you. If Sonic grabbed Mario, lifted and threw him, Mario would stop him from doing so the second time, and pop his skull.

He'd be BFR'd the first time and you missed the point. He can't react to Sonic's speed, you can know it's coming and still not be able to react to it.

ScreamPaste
Sonic's never thrown anything that far to my knowledge, and no, a bullet just hits you, Sonic in this case would have to physicly grab Mario and toss him. Mario could react to that if he was expecting it, rather easily.

Wei Phoenix
Sonic's never thrown anything that far to my knowledge, and no, a bullet just hits you, Sonic in this case would have to physicly grab Mario and toss him. Mario could react to that if he was expecting it, rather easily.

Mario doesn't weigh that much and you already stated a "what if" in the fact that he did throw him that far. You don't need to throw someone miles for a BFR victory.

No you can't react even if you are expecting it, Batman could be expecting a punch from Flash, but that doesn't mean he can stop it, or block it.

Prove Mario could react to it, show me some feats that says his reaction time is that good.

ScreamPaste
Your logic is flawed, this isn't a punch, and Sonic's not the flash. It's a toss.

And in this case, because the battle field's not defined, simply throwing Mario over an imaginary line drawn in the sand doesn't mean Sonic wins. That'd be sort of a cop out.

Wei Phoenix
Your logic is flawed, this isn't a punch, and Sonic's not the flash. It's a toss.

And in this case, because the battle field's not defined, simply throwing Mario over an imaginary line drawn in the sand doesn't mean Sonic wins. That'd be sort of a cop out.

Sonic compared to Mario is like Flash compared to Batman.

That's a BFR, is it the best way to win, nope, but it works.

Please don't ignore my question. Prove Mario can react to Sonic in time.

ScreamPaste
I'm not ignoring it, not that you haven't ignored a couple of my posts in this thread! >(

But yeah, no. The Flash is way faster than Sonic.

Wei Phoenix
I'm not ignoring it, not that you haven't ignored a couple of my posts in this thread! >(

But yeah, no. The Flash is way faster than Sonic.

Well then prove Mario can react to him. Once again Flash attacking Batman is like Sonic attacking Mario. Mario is no Deathstroke.

Acrosurge
I'd like to point out Mario survived galaxy wide catastrophe at the end of Mario Galaxy. -.o;Bowser, Bowser Jr., their ship, Peach, her castle, as well as many nearby planetoids also survived the same event without so much as a scratch. It doesn't make sense to believe that all these things have galaxy-busting durability. Especially since we've consistently seen lava kill Mario and Bowser instantly.

And Sonic is not equal to the Flash. Flash is faster. Neither is Mario equal to Batman. Mario has strength that Batman lacks. Sonic could likely blitz Mario, but it isn't a stomp. Mario could land a punch or a fireball here or there. Eggman has done it.

Wei Phoenix
I never said Flash=Sonic. Mario can't react to Sonic, saying he could is like saying Batman could react to Flash, and strength isn't going to help you react to either of them. That is my point.

Acrosurge
I never said Flash=Sonic. Mario can't react to Sonic, saying he could is like saying Batman could react to Flash, and strength isn't going to help you react to either of them. That is my point. I understand your point. I was just pointing out that the comparison is flawed.

Eggman has hit Sonic, so while Sonic could likely outspeed Mario much of the time, Mario could land a hit every now and again. It isn't a stomp.

ScreamPaste
Well then prove Mario can react to him. Once again Flash attacking Batman is like Sonic attacking Mario. Mario is no Deathstroke.

Working with it a bit.

And no, it's not at all. Sonic is not close to the Flash in terms of speed. And we're still talking about Sonic physicly grabbign a hold of Mario, and throwing him. That takes much longer than a punch.

And where's the imaginary line in an undefined battlefield? It's not going to conveniently be a ten by ten circle to allow Sonic an easy win.

Wei Phoenix
Working with it a bit.

And no, it's not at all. Sonic is not close to the Flash in terms of speed. And we're still talking about Sonic physicly grabbign a hold of Mario, and throwing him. That takes much longer than a punch.

And where's the imaginary line in an undefined battlefield? It's not going to conveniently be a ten by ten circle to allow Sonic an easy win.

See chili dog incident. You're basically saying Mario can punch faster than Sonic can run, and throw.

Wei Phoenix
I understand your point. I was just pointing out that the comparison is flawed.

Eggman has hit Sonic, so while Sonic could likely outspeed Mario much of the time, Mario could land a hit every now and again. It isn't a stomp.

Eggman has experience dealing with Sonic, and he is much smarter than Mario.

ScreamPaste
A chili dog doesn't actually fall very fast, at all. So that doesn't make Sonic any faster than he already was. -shrug-

I'm saying Mario can punch faster than Sonic can grab him, lift hhim, and throw him, yes. That'd take even Sonic a split second to do, atleast. All Mario really has to do is lash out in any random way he feels like. Say, spinning, or halting horizontal momentum with a ground pound.

ScreamPaste
Eggman's also in a lot worse physical shape than Mario. |: He's not even close to a peak human. If he can land a hit, ever, so can Mario.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>