Aaron Eckhart vs. Tommy Lee Jones

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

spidermanrocks
There are already many "Jack Nicholson vs. Heath Ledger" threads so I decided to make one for Two-Face. Which Two-Face was better? Tommy Lee Jones' version of Two-Face? Or Aaron Eckhart version? In my opinion, the winner is Aaron Eckhart because of these reasons:

1) He actually listens to the coin while Tommy Lee Jones keeps flicking the coin until he gets what he wants. A Two-Face who doesn't listen to his coin is not Two-Face.

2) Tommy's Two-Face had a Joker personality while Eckhart's version is more serious which is how the Two-Face from the comics and from Batman: TAS is. Two-Face is not meant to be a Joker-wannabe.

3) Eckhart is more dangerous. Many people are saying that Two-Face was more dangerous in Batman Forever but that's because he has already been Two-Face for a while now. In TDK, Harvey was only Two-Face for a few days. If Harvey would not have been killed, then in a few months or weeks he would have had his own henchmen and would be as dangerous as Tommy Lee Jones' version if not then even darker.

4)Two-Face actually has a motivation in TDK while in Batman Forever, all we know is that someone threw acid on his face. We never got an explanation in BF to why he went crazy.

Wei Phoenix
Aaron wins the battle of the Dents.

Ridley_Prime
By a landslide. He pretty much blew Batman Forever's Two-Face out of the water the moment he woke up from the hospital in the movie. Maybe even before that.

Davis Bloome
His entire performance blew everything done in BF out of the water. The Two-Face from BF was Two-Face in name only. And the sad part is if Burton had done the project this would actually have been a good debate since Jones is a damn good actor.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Davis Bloome
His entire performance blew everything done in BF out of the water. The Two-Face from BF was Two-Face in name only. And the sad part is if Burton had done the project this would actually have been a good debate since Jones is a damn good actor.

I agree with this man.

-Pr-
Eckhart was actually my favourite part of Dark Knight (yes, even above ledger or bale). I thought he was brilliant. Tommy Lee is an excellent actor at times, but the two face role just wasn't written right for him i thought.

Indestructible
Eckhart wins by a ****in mile. He is sooooo much better than senior citezen TLJ(no offense to the actor he is great but Two-Face isnt like 50 no expression)

Davis Bloome
His age wasn't a problem because he didn't look like he was that old. The problem was having a shitty director make the tone comedic, and give a great actor material that was beneath him.

Indestructible
His age wasn't a problem because he didn't look like he was that old. The problem was having a shitty director make the tone comedic, and give a great actor material that was beneath him.

I agree. Joel Shumacher is a dusty-old moron. He didnt know how to direct Batman movies worth a shit. The only reason Batman Forever was decnent was because Tim Burton produced or co-produced it!

BruceSkywalker
hands down Aaron Eckhart

Davis Bloome
Originally posted by Indestructible
I agree. Joel Shumacher is a dusty-old moron. He didnt know how to direct Batman movies worth a shit. The only reason Batman Forever was decnent was because Tim Burton produced or co-produced it!

Exactly. I don't get why they gave Joel the job in the first place. He's a shitty filmmaker, and he damn near ruined Batman. Thank God for Christopher Nolan.

BruceSkywalker
Exactly. I don't get why they gave Joel the job in the first place. He's a shitty filmmaker, and he damn near ruined Batman. Thank God for Christopher Nolan.

he did ruin Batman thats why they waited ten years to redo it and thanks to Mr. Nolan Batman is back

PRAYERRUN
Eckhart crosses the finish line and Tommy hasn't even started his car!!!!

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
By a landslide. He pretty much blew Batman Forever's Two-Face out of the water the moment he woke up from the hospital in the movie. Maybe even before that.

true.as we can see from the poll,this ones a no brainer.Jones butchered to death the character of Two Face.

The Nuul
Tommy is what the same thing happen to Lex back then with Gene and a goofball director(not Donner) in Superman II.

Mr Parker

yeah thank god for Chris Nolan.He rescued that nightmare Burton/Schumacher franchise.they damn near ruined Batman.Its all a bad dream now that i have woke up from thanks to Nolan.actually Schumacher is just a shitty film maker when it comes to Batman.a couple of really great films he HAS made before that I suggest you check out are FLATLINERS,A TIME TO KILL and THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.those are really good films of his he made.

-Pr-

i disagree about the shitty filmmaker part.

St. Elmo's Fire, The Lost Boys, Falling Down, A Time to Kill, Tigerland, Veronica Guerin.

Yes, he messed up with the Bat movies, but give credit where credit's due. I seriously doubt the crappy tone was all his idea, and Forever was somewhat decent in parts, imo.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by -Pr-
Eckhart was actually my favourite part of Dark Knight (yes, even above ledger or bale). I thought he was brilliant. Tommy Lee is an excellent actor at times, but the two face role just wasn't written right for him i thought.
Co-signed.

Originally posted by Indestructible
Joel's more of a kid/family-friendly director anyway, obviously. Doesn't make him shitty; just not the right kind of guy to be directing a Batman film.
Only reason he was hired in the first place was because parents complained about how Burton made Batman look too dark, so they wanted someone who would kinda do the opposite, which ended up going a little too far. At least Schumacher had the decency to apologize though.

r6epsGrcuTs

So how about everyone stop hating on him and move on? confused

Originally posted by Mr Parker
true.as we can see from the poll,this ones a no brainer.Jones butchered to death the character of Two Face.
He would even keep flipping his coin until he got what he wanted, like when it came to shooting Bruce in the head laughing... though the bullet was a dud. lol

Originally posted by -Pr-
I seriously doubt the crappy tone was all his idea
Yeah. It was mostly due to influence from Warner Bros during the time Batman & Robin and Forever were being directed, from what I read on wiki.

spidermanrocks
Wow everyone is voting Aaron Eckhart. I was expecting the majority to vote Aaron and only some people to vote Tommy but so far no one voted for Tommy. I can't believe no one thought of this before. We were all so amazed by Ledger's great performance that we completely forgot about Two-Face.

spidermanrocks
P.S. I did a mistake in the title of the poll. The title is "Which Two-Face is better" instead of "Why Two-Face is better".

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by spidermanrocks
Wow everyone is voting Aaron Eckhart. I was expecting the majority to vote Aaron and only some people to vote Tommy but so far no one voted for Tommy. I can't believe no one thought of this before. We were all so amazed by Ledger's great performance that we completely forgot about Two-Face.

Whoa speak for yourself, I could care less about Ledger and his performance.

Ridley_Prime
Well I certainly didn't forget about him, with him being my favorite Batman villain and all. Despite the decency of Ledger's performance and all that, the scene with Two-Face and Maroni in that car was probably my most favorite part of the whole movie.

lord xyz
Aaron Eckhart's iconic line: "It's not fair!" just makes it unanimous alone.

Sometimes, all it takes is a few lines done brilliantly that make a character worthwhile.

BruceSkywalker
Well I certainly didn't forget about him, with him being my favorite Batman villain and all. Despite the decency of Ledger's performance and all that, the scene with Two-Face and Maroni in that car was probably my most favorite part of the whole movie.

Eckhart had some good lines as well

Mr Parker

So how about everyone stop hating on him and move on? confused
SOUNDS GOOD.AT least he apologized for Batman and Robin.

He would even keep flipping his coin until he got what he wanted, like when it came to shooting Bruce in the head laughing... though the bullet was a dud. lol
yeah that really bothered me as well.have you seen those other movies I mentioned? Like i said,he's a good film maker,he just made bad casting decisions with the batman movies and ruined it all with batman and robin,but those other movies I mentioned,especially FLATLINERS,are good movies.FLATLINERS is awesome.keeps you on the edge of your seat.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Whoa speak for yourself, I could care less about Ledger and his performance.

god no. i'm not even that big a fan of his joker.

PRAYERRUN
I loved the joker!! I hope they do a Harley Quinn just like him.

Mr Parker

yeah with Eckhart having such a large role I hardly forgot about him during the movie.

-Pr-
Originally posted by PRAYERRUN
I loved the joker!! I hope they do a Harley Quinn just like him.

what do you mean a harley quinn just like him?

PRAYERRUN
I mean a Harley Quinn the same style as Heath's Joker was done. She'd be the ultimate goth/clown girl.

-Pr-
I mean a Harley Quinn the same style as Heath's Joker was done. She'd be the ultimate goth/clown girl.

i don't agree at all, tbh, but i could see nolan doing it.

still prefer harley as she is in the comics.

BruceSkywalker

Harley would have been perfect for TDK but since no Joker in Batman 3, even though I like Harley, I don't think she will ever make an appearance in Nolan's movies, but he certainly could make her similar to the Joker

PRAYERRUN
Maybe she could be Joker's really crazed fan. I have a relative who loves this kind. the kind that would say, " When I said I would love you and stay with you forever...I MEANT FOREVER!!! GOT IT?!? "

DarthLazious
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
hands down Aaron Eckhart

What he said.

PRAYERRUN
I did like Tommy Lee's character, but Aaron's portrayal hit the spot.

Red Superfly
The direction of Two Face in Batman Forever annoys the hell out of me. He's effectively doing his own spin on Jack Nicholson's Joker.

Carrey's Riddler, however, made some sense in Batman Forever. He gets all the best lines and steals the entire film. It may have been a half-decent movie if it completely shunned Burtons vision altoegther, instead of keeping certain aspects (the black rubber suit with the yellow symbol, the continuation of the story, the same Alfred and Commisioner Gordon etc). It retained too much of Burtons established canon that the transition to this wierd goofball wacky world made no sense.

If Schumacher had the balls to go fully into the goofball side of Batman (i.e. Adam West irony and possible politcal satire like Watchmen) then it may have been really, really good. If he'd have gone more into the wacky-era of the Batman comics (i.e. instead of having the gothiclooking Batman have the blue and grey, lighter Batman) There are some aspects which I still enjoy now when I watch Batman Forever -but almost all of them concern Jim Carrey being at his most Jim Carrey, mainly because Carrey is the only one being allowed to go nuts.

I have no idea why Tommy Lee Jones was cast as Harvey, especially in a "lighter" take on the character. He's not even particularly handsome, and that does matter as it's part of Dent's makeup as a character. A part of Dents tragedy was that he was a handsome, all American good man who was broken physically and emotionally via not just one unlucky accident, but several incredibly destructive personal events which made him so focussed on the nature of fortune, and therefore a dependence on the coin, his good looks on one half offset by his other half's truly gruesome visage, summing him up perfectly. Nolan and Eckhart absolutely nailled that, completely. I even preferred the fact his suit was just burned and he couldn't care less, as opposed to him being another goof in a "costume" which he made. Two-Face is not a narcissist like The Riddler.

Grifter21
Aaron, he showed that he could've gone either way with his pysche

Wanderer11
Aaron Eckhart's performance just tops it for me.

jokermarvel
tim burtons films were the best batmans imo but when joel took over i just think he should of stuck with flatliners and lost boys although tommy is a great actor and i don't like the way aaron looks i'm still going with aaron

gobstakid777
Originally posted by Wanderer11
Aaron Eckhart's performance just tops it for me.

StiltmanFTW
Aaron.

Alpha-7
Personally, I never liked Tommy Lee Jones in the role. Aaron on the other hand seemed destined for the role.

Kovacs86
There are already many "Jack Nicholson vs. Heath Ledger" threads so I decided to make one for Two-Face. Which Two-Face was better?

Do you think that, y'know, there's a reason for there being a lot of Nicholson/ Ledger and no Eckhart/ Jones threads?

spidermanrocks
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Do you think that, y'know, there's a reason for there being a lot of Nicholson/ Ledger and no Eckhart/ Jones threads?

Yes. Joker is Batman's greatest enemy. Two-Face is just an enemy. But just because Two-Face is not Batman's arch-foe, that doesn't mean that he should just be ignored.

Ridley_Prime
Yes. Joker is Batman's greatest enemy. Two-Face is just an enemy.
Just an enemy? Methinks you're selling him short.

And Joker is overrated.
There, I said it.

roughrider
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Aaron wins the battle of the Dents.

Agreed. TLJ was just doing a Nicholson knock off. His work wasn't a disappointment per se, but he didn't distinguish himself. You could feel the rage in Aaron Eckhart's character, with the twisted justifications.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.