Windows 7

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-Pr-
link

Just wondering if anyone is planning to get it when it comes out. I'm currently running a 64 bit vista, and can't decide whether it's going to be worth the upgrade or not. I know it's not officially released yet, but if anyone has tried the beta versions and has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

So, to buy, or not to buy?

Jovan
If you recently got a computer, you might get a free upgrade to windows7, so definitly use it if you can.
I heard W7 is like an "update" of Vista: it's the same just better and more stable.

dadudemon
Originally posted by -Pr-
link

Just wondering if anyone is planning to get it when it comes out. I'm currently running a 64 bit vista, and can't decide whether it's going to be worth the upgrade or not. I know it's not officially released yet, but if anyone has tried the beta versions and has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

So, to buy, or not to buy?

My professional opinion: wait until it's out for a few months or until SP1 comes out ofr Windows 7. This is for security and stability. Windows 7 will also offer more options and customization, adding to the personalization focus that MS has had the last 4 or 5 years.

My personal opinion: If you are a PC gamer, definitely go with Windows 7. It is less intensive on your hardware, freeing up system resources for your game. As you probably know, because you're using Vista 64-bit, many games that can utilize the 64-bit architecture, run better on Vista-64 bit. Most modern games do make use of it. That's why I have Vista (64-bit) home basic, for gaming.

-Pr-
Originally posted by dadudemon
My professional opinion: wait until it's out for a few months or until SP1 comes out ofr Windows 7. This is for security and stability. Windows 7 will also offer more options and customization, adding to the personalization focus that MS has had the last 4 or 5 years.

My personal opinion: If you are a PC gamer, definitely go with Windows 7. It is less intensive on your hardware, freeing up system resources for your game. As you probably know, because you're using Vista 64-bit, many games that can utilize the 64-bit architecture, run better on Vista-64 bit. Most modern games do make use of it. That's why I have Vista (64-bit) home basic, for gaming.

Yeah, thats actually why i made the upgrade in the first place. I have 4gb, and was told that a 32bit just wouldn't handle that much ram. So i got my hands on ultimate, and i've been happy enough ever since. I've been able to run Gears of War at a decent spec on a 64 bit, so i'm happy enough with it.

Hmm, i see what you mean about the service packs, i'd honestly forgotten about those lol... Any idea how long those usually take?

dadudemon
Yeah, thats actually why i made the upgrade in the first place. I have 4gb, and was told that a 32bit just wouldn't handle that much ram. So i got my hands on ultimate, and i've been happy enough ever since. I've been able to run Gears of War at a decent spec on a 64 bit, so i'm happy enough with it.

Hmm, i see what you mean about the service packs, i'd honestly forgotten about those lol... Any idea how long those usually take?

I think Vista's original SP1 came 1 year after Vista's release.

But, yeah, that is a major reason to go with 64-bit, the RAM.

I am a wait and see person. I'd rather see SP1 released and that settle down before I get a new OS. That's what I did with Vista. SP1 was out for 6 months before I started looking to buy another PC.

-Pr-
I think Vista's original SP1 came 1 year after Vista's release.

But, yeah, that is a major reason to go with 64-bit, the RAM.

I am a wait and see person. I'd rather see SP1 released and that settle down before I get a new OS. That's what I did with Vista. SP1 was out for 6 months before I started looking to buy another PC.

reports say that windows 7 SP1 is already being worked on, even though the OS isn't out yet.

i've heard some people say 18 months, but i highly doubt that...

~JP~
laughing out loud I bought a computer last fall and I specifically asked them to take Vista off and put XP on. Im sticking with that.

-Pr-
i almost did that same thing. tbh, though, if you have the ram for it, vista aint that bad...

Peach
Vista can be annoying, but it's not bad once you get used to it.

And once you shut off that annoying account control thing. I can't state enough how much I hate that feature.

But yeah, I've actually gotten used to Vista enough now that XP feels weird to me. And a 64-bit OS is great.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Peach
Vista can be annoying, but it's not bad once you get used to it.

And once you shut off that annoying account control thing. I can't state enough how much I hate that feature.

But yeah, I've actually gotten used to Vista enough now that XP feels weird to me. And a 64-bit OS is great.

i turned off the UAC, but the thing kept asking me to turn it back on for some stupid reason. i leave it on most of the time, but i turn it off when i need to organise folders, because it's a royal pain in those situations...

Peach
I turned it off, and it popped up the little bubble in the corner once, but not again since, so yeah.

I finally caved and shut it off when I had about 40 fonts to install. It would have taken forever with that on...

-Pr-
I turned it off, and it popped up the little bubble in the corner once, but not again since, so yeah.

I finally caved and shut it off when I had about 40 fonts to install. It would have taken forever with that on...

oh god yeah. i've had to do that a couple of times...

everytime i boot up the computer, it asks me to switch it back on, so i dunno lol...

Peach
That could be it. I generally don't actually shut my computer off very often, I just let it go into sleep mode when I close it.

-Pr-
That could be it. I generally don't actually shut my computer off very often, I just let it go into sleep mode when I close it.

ah. i never got used to using sleep mode. is it truly as good as shutting it down?

Robtard
ah. i never got used to using sleep mode. is it truly as good as shutting it down?

It's still on, minimally. I do believe power is cut to the processor and hard-drive(s) though.

dadudemon
reports say that windows 7 SP1 is already being worked on, even though the OS isn't out yet.

i've heard some people say 18 months, but i highly doubt that...

That is probably due to the massive beta testing done on it before release. I read something about it being the largest beta testing ever undertaken for software.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Robtard
It's still on, minimally. I do believe power is cut to the processor and hard-drive(s) though.

ah.

That is probably due to the massive beta testing done on it before release. I read something about it being the largest beta testing ever undertaken for software.

yeah. i've never seen microsoft so hyped up about an OS before. they really seem to think 7 is going to be the business, as they claim to have put more work in to it than pretty much any other OS. they go on and on about how they really took all the feedback on board and such too...

dadudemon
ah.

yeah. i've never seen microsoft so hyped up about an OS before. they really seem to think 7 is going to be the business, as they claim to have put more work in to it than pretty much any other OS. they go on and on about how they really took all the feedback on board and such too...

There is also performance increase, as I mentioned earlier. You can configure it to be "skinnier"...or streamlined for performance, which is good for people like you, Peach, and I.

Also, there is peformance increase for notebooks. Significant.

-Pr-
There is also performance increase, as I mentioned earlier. You can configure it to be "skinnier"...or streamlined for performance, which is good for people like you, Peach, and I.

Also, there is peformance increase for notebooks. Significant.

seeing as i'm using a laptop, yep, that's a big draw for me, hence me wondering if i should damn near buy it once it comes out...

yeah, they've been really going on and on about how it's much faster and much less of a, well, whore, when it comes to system resources. i really hope they're not just pulling our legs...

Peach
I use a laptop as well, so performance increase for that is definitely good.

I didn't play with the Windows 7 beta but I do know a few people who did, and I've heard that it is indeed much less of a resource hog. Which is great. Vista is too greedy.

-Pr-
I use a laptop as well, so performance increase for that is definitely good.

I didn't play with the Windows 7 beta but I do know a few people who did, and I've heard that it is indeed much less of a resource hog. Which is great. Vista is too greedy.

aye, well that's very good, then.

plus, running a 64 bit atm means i can save money and just upgrade. yay me.

occultdestroyer
I'm using Windows 7 32-bit.

It feels significantly more responsive than Windows Vista. It's also safer (for now) thanks to a modified kernel and shells, and firewall has been significantly improved.

Just tried debugging the source kernel of 7 through command line control, and the thing is a mess!
Multiple programming languages used like C, C++, Python, and Java. Completely different from Vista or XP.
Malware programmers will have a hard time coding viruses for Win7.

-Pr-
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
I'm using Windows 7 32-bit.

It feels significantly more responsive than Windows Vista. It's also safer (for now) thanks to a modified kernel and shells, and firewall has been significantly improved.

Just tried debugging the source kernel of 7 through command line control, and the thing is a mess!
Multiple programming languages used like C, C++, Python, and Java. Completely different from Vista or XP.
Malware programmers will have a hard time coding viruses for Win7.

sounds good, seriously.

occultdestroyer
sounds good, seriously.
It won't take long before the malware programmers program new viruses, though..

BTW, 7 has improved voice recognition and touch analysis using touch-sensitive devices (if you're into those kinds of things).

Win7 comes with a better bundle of software like Windows Live Essentials and Windows Virtual PC, etc.

Windows Media Player 12 is the default media player, which has more codecs which allows you to play more video & audio formats compared to the previous version.

IE8 is the default browser. But I'd rather use a browser that uses the Gecko layout like Firefox, Seamonkey, or K-Meleon. A LOT safer than IE.
And if you still prefer IE-like layout but with enhanced features and efficiency, I recommend you to replace it with Maxthon or Avant.

-Pr-
It won't take long before the malware programmers program new viruses, though..

BTW, 7 has improved voice recognition and touch analysis using touch-sensitive devices (if you're into those kinds of things).

Win7 comes with a better bundle of software like Windows Live Essentials and Windows Virtual PC, etc.

Windows Media Player 12 is the default media player, which has more codecs which allows you to play more video & audio formats compared to the previous version.

IE8 is the default browser. But I'd rather use a browser that uses the Gecko layout like Firefox, Seamonkey, or K-Meleon. A LOT safer than IE.
And if you still prefer IE-like layout but with enhanced features and efficiency, I recommend you to replace it with Maxthon or Avant.

i use IE and firefox, depending on which sites i visit, so i don't worry about that.

glad to hear about WMP, i always feel that its a solid player, but gets a lot of flak for simply being a microsoft app...

Wei Phoenix
i use IE and firefox, depending on which sites i visit,

Oh how I wonder which sites warrant a different browser.? eek! Ironically enough I do the same. confused

occultdestroyer
Identity theft is easy to exploit when using IE8.

As long as you don't use IE8 for internet banking, you're safe.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Oh how I wonder which sites warrant a different browser.? eek! Ironically enough I do the same. confused

i use IE for kmc and general browsing. i use firefox for sites like deviant art and a few other forums i visit...

Identity theft is easy to exploit when using IE8.

As long as you don't use IE8 for internet banking, you're safe.

oh? howso?

dadudemon
I have full release of Windows 7 running on my second hard drive in my laptop.

It is lightening fast. 9 seconds from the click until it completely logs off. About 12 seconds to fully shut down, about 20 seconds to boot up to the Windows logon screen, from being off.

Dude, it is MUCH faster than the Windows Vista Home Edition (64-bit) version I have running on my other hard drive.

Everything pops-up, moves about, much faster. Interface feels cleaner than Vista, even when using Aero.

I'm LOVING the zoom feature this has that comes with it by default.

Again, I'm running Windows 7 Pro. 64-bit.

I already have fingerprint reader working just fine. In fact, the finger print reader works better in 7 than it does Vista. Much faster and haven't experienced a failure in a swipe, yet. Anecdotal, I know, but the failure on the scan could be related to the delay in comparing the scanned print to the one in the profile.

Anyway, much nicer. Cleaner. Faster. More options (weird, I know, but it does have more). Even Wifi management is cleaner.

I highly recommend the change from XP or Vista to 7. thumb up I don't have any complaints, yet. I will find them, eventually, but until then, I rate this product a 5 out of 5 stars.

-Pr-
that's pretty big praise for such a young OS...

dadudemon
that's pretty big praise for such a young OS...

It's that good.

It exceeded my expectations.

I'm sure I'll find complaints for it, later. Right now, I don't have any. Even "trying" to find stuff isn't difficult at all. Intuitive and easy to work with.

I guess I expected it to have a few things wrong with it, right off the bat. But, since it didn't, I was shocked.

One of the big selling points, for me, is the clean minimalist interface that it has right after you install it. That's how I like my desktops: clean and uncluttered.

-Pr-
It's that good.

It exceeded my expectations.

I'm sure I'll find complaints for it, later. Right now, I don't have any. Even "trying" to find stuff isn't difficult at all. Intuitive and easy to work with.

I guess I expected it to have a few things wrong with it, right off the bat. But, since it didn't, I was shocked.

One of the big selling points, for me, is the clean minimalist interface that it has right after you install it. That's how I like my desktops: clean and uncluttered.

mmm

methinks i'll upgrade asap.

occultdestroyer
The newest Windows 7 build now has integrated Windows XP.

So if there are compatibility issues with the Win 7 OS, you can install in on Windows XP WITHIN Windows 7. Sounds good eh?

-Pr-
The newest Windows 7 build now has integrated Windows XP.

So if there are compatibility issues with the Win 7 OS, you can install in on Windows XP WITHIN Windows 7. Sounds good eh?

it does indeed.

ok, got to try windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. the system itself is fine. very few issues, bar one BIG one. the new windows media player is a resource hog and is full of bugs. it's an absolute pain. i have to see if i can roll back to 11.

Bardock42
I have full release of Windows 7 running on my second hard drive in my laptop.

It is lightening fast. 9 seconds from the click until it completely logs off. About 12 seconds to fully shut down, about 20 seconds to boot up to the Windows logon screen, from being off.

Dude, it is MUCH faster than the Windows Vista Home Edition (64-bit) version I have running on my other hard drive.

Everything pops-up, moves about, much faster. Interface feels cleaner than Vista, even when using Aero.

I'm LOVING the zoom feature this has that comes with it by default.

Again, I'm running Windows 7 Pro. 64-bit.

I already have fingerprint reader working just fine. In fact, the finger print reader works better in 7 than it does Vista. Much faster and haven't experienced a failure in a swipe, yet. Anecdotal, I know, but the failure on the scan could be related to the delay in comparing the scanned print to the one in the profile.

Anyway, much nicer. Cleaner. Faster. More options (weird, I know, but it does have more). Even Wifi management is cleaner.

I highly recommend the change from XP or Vista to 7. thumb up I don't have any complaints, yet. I will find them, eventually, but until then, I rate this product a 5 out of 5 stars. What minimum requirements would you set though? I mean, I won't put it on my EeePC 901 obviously.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
What minimum requirements would you set though? I mean, I won't put it on my EeePC 901 obviously.

1+ GHz CPU. 20 GB harddrive. DX9 compatible graphics card or integrated graphics. 2 GB of RAM. I'd say 256 MB of discrete graphics memory for aero.

BackFire
I have a friend running Windows 7 and he has nothing but good things to say about it.

-Pr-
Originally posted by BackFire
I have a friend running Windows 7 and he has nothing but good things to say about it.

im just reaching the 24 hour mark, and bar the wmp player problems, i'm very happy with it. even my computer seems quieter. i've had no compatibility problems so far, and there are plenty of features that make life easier...

i still dont understand the rationale behind getting rid of the quick launch, but it's not a massive complaint...

JessicaD
Occultdestroyer,

Thank you for evaluating Windows 7 and it's great to hear that you are enjoying your experience so much! If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: wwwdotmicrosoftdotcom/Windows/buy/offers/pre-order-endeddotaspx (Replace the "dot" with a period "."wink

Another method of acquiring Windows 7 RTM is through a TechNet Plus / MSDN Plus subscription. If you have a TechNet Plus or MSDN Plus subscription you have access to download Windows 7 RTM and receive 10 product activation keys. To learn more about a TechNet plus subscription, please go here: edgedottechnetdotcom/Media/TechNet-Plus-Subscription--Steve-Rose/

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Ms.Marvel
no expression

T.M
Anyone not sure if their system can be upgraded to 7 microsoft released a beta advisor you can download which scans your system and tell you if it will run it.

URL

Bardock42
Originally posted by T.M
Anyone not sure if their system can be upgraded to 7 microsoft released a beta advisor you can download which scans your system and tell you if it will run it.

URL

What if I my system can't take running the advisor?

Think there's a chance it can run Windows 7 hmm

dadudemon
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
no expression

I think "she's" part of the PR and "help" team that scours the internet for forum chatter on the subject. New type of marketing and PR method I've been seeing more and more, not just from MS.

Bardock42
I think "she's" part of the PR and "help" team that scours the internet for forum chatter on the subject. New type of marketing and PR method I've been seeing more and more, not just from MS.

Yeah, seems legit.

Is TechNet Edge that Microsoft service that they gave away free subscriptions of and then bitched that they didn't mean it?

No it isn't, still, lets recall that funny occurrence.

Robtard
Anyone have the pricing for upgrades, ie from XP or Vista to Win7?

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by JessicaD
Occultdestroyer,

Thank you for evaluating Windows 7 and it's great to hear that you are enjoying your experience so much! If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: wwwdotmicrosoftdotcom/Windows/buy/offers/pre-order-endeddotaspx (Replace the "dot" with a period "."wink

Another method of acquiring Windows 7 RTM is through a TechNet Plus / MSDN Plus subscription. If you have a TechNet Plus or MSDN Plus subscription you have access to download Windows 7 RTM and receive 10 product activation keys. To learn more about a TechNet plus subscription, please go here: edgedottechnetdotcom/Media/TechNet-Plus-Subscription--Steve-Rose/

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
I ****in knew it!

THE ALMIGHTY MICRO$OFT SEES EVERYTHING IN THE INTERNET!

MICRO$OFT KNOWS WHO ANONYMOUS IS!

-Pr-
Anyone have the pricing for upgrades, ie from XP or Vista to Win7?

get this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

tis your best bet imo...

Robtard
get this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

tis your best bet imo...

Thanks.

-Pr-
been using this for a while now, and i have to admit, i'm very happy with it. crashes less than vista (even when using IE 8), and seems to run faster while taking up less resources. MS seems to be on to a winner with this one...

dadudemon
been using this for a while now, and i have to admit, i'm very happy with it. crashes less than vista (even when using IE 8), and seems to run faster while taking up less resources. MS seems to be on to a winner with this one...

I haven't had it crash one time, on me. Vista rarely crashed, as well...but it did crash a couple of times on me.

I like the neat little GUI gadgets and gizmos such as clicking on the title bar and moving the window to the top of the screen. If you do it fast and release the mouse click, it will maximize the window. It's just a nifty way of moving your junk around.

I'm writing a report on Windows 7. I'll post it up here when I'm done. It will cover many things.

-Pr-
I haven't had it crash one time, on me. Vista rarely crashed, as well...but it did crash a couple of times on me.

I like the neat little GUI gadgets and gizmos such as clicking on the title bar and moving the window to the top of the screen. If you do it fast and release the mouse click, it will maximize the window. It's just a nifty way of moving your junk around.

I'm writing a report on Windows 7. I'll post it up here when I'm done. It will cover many things.

7 hasnt crashed on me either since my fresh install this week. my last install had the odd crash in IE, but not to the point that it was a bother.

yeah. i love the window options they've included in this windows. makes everything so much easier...

looking forward to the report...

dadudemon
looking forward to the report...

See below.

Save the attachments.

Then, rename the document to the ".zip" extension, then, unzip the document and you should be able to read it in word. I saved it in 03 format just in case you didn't have 7.

dadudemon
Here's the zipped report.

dadudemon
Here's the previous version that has more information.

It's not the final draft.

-Pr-
wow. you really wrote a lot...

appleptree
you can download online to test by yourself .
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?type=id&q=d67132&ru=28600001

Shakyamunison
I just got a new computer at home. It has Windows 7 on it.

Anyone have an opinion of Windows 7?
Any reviews?

AsbestosFlaygon
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f79/t513553.html

Robtard
Originally posted by Shakyamunison

Any reviews?

I hear it's the cat's ass and then some. I want a copy.

Darth Jello
Gotta repost this here. Worst product promotion ever!

http://15.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_krx4rzq6sr1qzvnxpo1_500.jpg

Shakyamunison
I hear it's the cat's ass and then some. I want a copy.

It's all new to me. I used to have 2000, and at work I use XP.

So far it seems good.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Shakyamunison

Any reviews?

Small children in commercials say it's awesome!

-Pr-
It's what Vista should have been.

Darth Jello
It's what Vista should have been.

So, better than XP, not worse?

dadudemon
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f79/t513553.html

If anyone is interested, I have some word files in that thread in zipped form that you guys can review, if you want a rundown of what I did at school. Those are like....the...drafts before the last draft, so there are spelling and possibly grammar mistakes, but it's generally easy to understand.

Those files cover everything you would want to know.

I also have a powerpoint, if anyone is interested. That PPT has screen shots with a walkthrough on some of the new features. Anyone interested?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Darth Jello
So, better than XP, not worse?

i prefer it to xp personally. it seems to combine the speed of xp with all the bells and whistles that vista had...

If anyone is interested, I have some word files in that thread in zipped form that you guys can review, if you want a rundown of what I did at school. Those are like....the...drafts before the last draft, so there are spelling and possibly grammar mistakes, but it's generally easy to understand.

Those files cover everything you would want to know.

I also have a powerpoint, if anyone is interested. That PPT has screen shots with a walkthrough on some of the new features. Anyone interested?

i'm still reading your other one lol...

Mindship
It's what Vista should have been. What didn't you like about Vista?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Mindship
What didn't you like about Vista?

it was a ram and resources whore.

don't get me wrong. i like vista. i kept it when i could have gone back to xp. but vista did have faults, and windows 7 just seems to fix almost all of them.

Mindship
it was a ram and resources whore.

don't get me wrong. i like vista. i kept it when i could have gone back to xp. but vista did have faults, and windows 7 just seems to fix almost all of them.

I got a new computer over the summer with Vista (I'd been using XP, and at work I still have 98). Overall, it isn't bad. The only bizarre glitch was with my Aurora screensaver: I'd have it come on after 10 minutes, then 10 minutes later my computer would shut down, totally, like someone pulled the plug.

Everything else, so far, seems fine.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Mindship
I got a new computer over the summer with Vista (I'd been using XP, and at work I still have 98). Overall, it isn't bad. The only bizarre glitch was with my Aurora screensaver: I'd have it come on after 10 minutes, then 10 minutes later my computer would shut down, totally, like someone pulled the plug.

Everything else, so far, seems fine.

that is strange. vista is a decent OS no doubt, but on my pc, when i installed 7, i noticed that windows booted up faster. programs opened quicker. lots of little things like that which make me glad i upgraded.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Gotta repost this here. Worst product promotion ever!

http://15.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_krx4rzq6sr1qzvnxpo1_500.jpg

The Nanami Madobe ads are much better.

Kawaii! http://mundoh.com/images/dj00001/windows7-3.jpg

Red Nemesis
Only if it's been translated to Klingon.

What's this about school?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Only if it's been translated to Klingon.

What's this about school?

College? University? Tertiary Education? Degree program? Higher Education?

Red Nemesis
"what I did at school" is fantastically ambiguous. It could refer to actions that you took while at school, among which basic food consumption, superficial (or otherwise) social interactions, paperwork and/or red tape could be included. It could also refer to the degree program that you pursued, specifically a major or minor in a specific field of knowledge.

Do you mean "work that I happened to accomplish while at school" or "work that I went to school specifically to accomplish?"

Neo Darkhalen

dadudemon
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Do you mean "work that I happened to accomplish while at school" or "work that I went to school specifically to accomplish?"

Just look at them.

Bicnarok
Ubuntu for me thankssmile

FistOfThe North
I want Windows 7.

It's Vista 2.0. In other words a more polished and faster Vista.

I hear bars and restaurants are gonna implement Windows 7 into tables as touch (surface) screens where you could do a whole bunch a crap. Order food, pay for seperate meals, place your phone on it and upload songs the establishment is selling and more..

AsbestosFlaygon
Yes, it's basically an enhanced, streamlined version of Vista, with more features.

Lucky for me I didn't jump on the Vista bandwagon.

Darth Vicious
Just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7. So far I like what im seeing. One thing that bugs me off the bat is that it wont take certain programs I had before the install. I found updated versions but for some I rather use what I had.

FistOfThe North
yea i downloaded windows 7 ultimate edtion yesterday. it's a pretty cool operating system. so far, i'm liking it better than i did vista.

it comes with explorer 8, areo shake, shuffling desktop back grounds in crisp hd and a mac-esque menu/tool bar.

it's definetely much more faster (w/apps and boot) and more engaging than any other operating system i've dealt with recently.

AsbestosFlaygon
Today, I just downgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows XP Pro SP3.

For some reason, Windows 7 would no longer boot-up.
The Startup Manager can't even find the cause of the problem. Repairing the PC with the installation disc didn't help resolve the problem either.
Even Microsoft support have no clue whatsoever what the feck happened.

Alas, after so many failed attempts, I was forced to ditch the OS and replace it with the old reliable.
Maybe it had something to do with incompatibility with Returnil (system virtualization software).
I might reinstall the OS some time in the future... once they release a Service Pack.

-Pr-

The Startup Manager can't even find the cause of the problem. Repairing the PC with the installation disc didn't help resolve the problem either.

Alas, after so many failed attempts, I was forced to ditch the OS and replace it with the old reliable.
Maybe it had something to do with incompatibility with Returnil (system virtualization software).
I might reinstall the OS some time in the future... once they release a Service Pack.

that's just weird. i've found 7 to be nothing if not reliable...

Darth Vicious

Were u running KAspersky anti virus? I only ask because when I first installed W7 Ultimate, it worked great. I installed Kaspersky and it keep working great but every now and then my extra hdd would be gone. I couldnt access the files. It would freeze. Sometimes for a minute, sometimes for a long time. I would have to end up shutting it off but then it wouldnt start. I had to run system checks. It was like that for a few weeks. I had read somewhere that Kaspersky gave that type of problems. So, I updated the system and would get the same problems but not as often. Since I had downloaded AVG, I uninstalled Kaspersky. After that, no more problems (knocks on wood).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.