Dark Shadows Movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ToddianGirl
Article Link:Johnny Depp and Tim Burton to Vamp It Up in 'Dark Shadows'

Three of the most talked-about things at Comic-Con last week were vampires ("New Moon" and "True Blood"wink, another movie pairing director Tim Burton and Johnny Depp ("Alice in Wonderland"wink, and updates of cult '60s TV shows ("Doctor Who" and "The Prisoner"wink. So how excited fans would get if all of those elements could be combined into one movie?

Apparently, we'll find out when Burton and Depp team up for the big-screen adaptation of "Dark Shadows," the Gothic soap opera about vampires, ghosts, and monsters that ran on ABC from 1966 to 1971. Burton confirmed this last Thursday when he presented footage from "Alice in Wonderland" to a capacity crowd at Comic-Con's cavernous Hall H. He said "Dark Shadows" would be his next project, "if I ever finish this one here."

Before Lestat, Angel, and Edward Cullen, there was Barnabas Collins, a 175-year-old vampire who stalked the town of Collinsport, Maine pining for his lost love. Originally, the character of Barnabas, played by Jonathan Frid, was only intended for a 13-week story arc on "Dark Shadows," but he caused such a sensation with viewers he became the lead character for the next four years. The show spawned two movies in the early '70s, a revived series in 1991, and a pilot that was not picked up for series in 2004.

Depp would play Barnabas, a role he told Collider.com has been "a lifelong dream for me." Depp has said he loved the show as a child: "I was obsessed with Barnabas Collins. I have photographs of me holding Barnabas Collins posters when I was five or six." Depp has been pursuing the movie adaptation for years, buying the remake rights through his production company, Infinitum-Nihil.

Burton has also spoken about his fascination with the original show. He told the Los Angeles Times, "It had the weirdest vibe to it. I'm sort of intrigued about that vibe." He also spoke about the recent influx of vampire movies: "It's like any great fable or fairytale, it's got a power to it... There's something symbolic about it that touches people in different ways."

While both Depp and Burton seem excited to start work on what will be their eighth collaboration, production might have to wait until after Depp finishes work on the fourth "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie. Disney's Head of Production Oren Aviv said in an interview with ComingSoon.net that filming will start in April or May of next year, with a release planned for 2011. Aviv says the intention for the next movie is to "scale it down, because we can't get bigger... I want to kind of reboot the whole thing and bring it down to its core, its essence, just characters."

So it may be a while before Depp bares his fangs as a vampire. If "Dark Shadows" also hits theaters in 2011, it could be up against the final "Twilight" film, "Breaking Dawn.

I can't wait I love Dark Shadows I think Johnny is so perfect to play Barnabas Collins! What do you all think?

That ACDC Chick
anything with the immortally sexy Johnny Depp is full of awesomeness in my eyes
even if the movie is terrible, every moment hes on screen makes it Oscar worthy

BruceSkywalker
I grew up on the original tv show..

Not that much of a Depp fan, but when given a good script he delivers

Dark Shadows however is a cult classic and I hope is well done

ToyChop
I grew up a horror fan and--before the age of internets--had heard that there was a vampire-themed soap opera. I tried in vain (vein?) to see an episode, but could never track one down.

Decades later I'd see the show...I think I would have liked 'em as a kid, but by the time I saw them they felt kinda dated. The basic idea is cool, an update might be a lot of fun.

faithcooper78
It's always great to see this old soap opera once and a while.

savvysparrowluv
This movie is going to be f***ing INCREDIBLE!!!!!!

Thoren
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-x5XhfzEH7Fo/TntTSMkHbcI/AAAAAAAAA5E/wO-FF4ei3V8/s1600/dark-shadows_810.jpg

Gonna ****in kill at the box office.

Esau Cairn
Seriously am I the only one getting fed-up with the Burton/Depp line-up?

Both are so comfortable working with each other, there's a certain lack of passion that come across on-screen.

Thoren
The only Depp-Burton movie I've seen is edward scissor hands.

the ninjak
Loved the original series. Depp looks perfect as Barnabas.

This could be just what Burton needs to gain respect again. Though I loved Sweeney Todd.

Can't wait.

Kazenji
Anyone seen the picture from the set of Depp?

looks like Micheal Jackson is still alive taking a look at it.

Kazenji
New photo

not quite as bad as the last one that got released

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/164847-new-photo-of-johnny-depp-as-barnabas-collins-in-dark-shadows

Placidity
What the hell is with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter always taking up these weird/goth characters.

the ninjak
Originally posted by Kazenji
New photo

not quite as bad as the last one that got released

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/164847-new-photo-of-johnny-depp-as-barnabas-collins-in-dark-shadows

Looks like he just drank blood and now looks alot younger.

siriuswriter
God, he looks YOUNG in that latest picture. Like "Don Juan Demarco" young. And he was only in his twenties for that film.

Or maybe it's just because he's opposite Michelle Pfieffer, whom I admire for finally letting herself be "a certain age."

the ninjak
Originally posted by siriuswriter
God, he looks YOUNG in that latest picture. Like "Don Juan Demarco" young. And he was only in his twenties for that film.

Or maybe it's just because he's opposite Michelle Pfieffer, whom I admire for finally letting herself be "a certain age."

I know right? I love the Pfieffer is pushing nobility in age. No reconstruction/collagen bullshit. Like Cher.

Johnny looks weird here. And if a whole scene keeps this......it's interesting. She is the holder of the estate and Barnabus has returned to wreck havok. This film is gonna rock. she represents a womans noble ambition to keep the family strength alive. He is death personified returned to aid/harm the family's standing. Such drama should make a beautiful film.

siriuswriter
And I saw Clhoe Moretz is in the cast as well - she's the young girl who played the Queen as a child in "The King's Speech," right?

Ah, look at Helena. Bright red hair and all. I can't wait to see this - it's people excelling at what they do best all around.

Now I need to find me some Dark Shadows shows on Netflix so I'm all caught up.

the ninjak
I saw Clhoe Moretz is in the cast as well - she's the young girl who played the Queen as a child in "The King's Speech," right?

Ah, look at Helena. Bright red hair and all. I can't wait to see this - it's people excelling at what they do best all around.

Now I need to find me some Dark Shadows shows on Netflix so I'm all caught up.

King's Speech? I don't believe so apparently that was Freya Wilson. She also played Hitgirl in Kickass. The role that will ensure her any role she wants in the future. Hugo looks terrible though. Though I can change my mind after an actual viewing, the film looks very experimental.

Helena. She looked like the most overacted actor in the original picture but goddamn is she hot. I don't know why she just is.

I used to watch the series randomly as a kid. And watched some of the remake series later. This film has alot of potential. It would be a waste for it to be another Burton cheap shot film.

siriuswriter
Well I've just spent my sick day watching the whole remake of Dark Shadows.

Apparently, Eva Green is playing Angelique. PERFECT!
The girl playing Victoria Winters looks suitably doe-eyed.
And Helena is Dr. Julia Hoffman.

It's strange though, the pictures make it look like some kind of twisted "Arrested Development," but if they're including Angelique, then this is going to have some zip and boom.

This. Movie. Will. Rule.

Kazenji
http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/22178/dark_shadows_photo_cineheroes-deep.jpg

steverules_2
Are there any Burton movies, with Depp...where someone else got the lead role?

Patient_Leech
Those two just need to get married already.

siriuswriter
That last pic sorta bothered me. Neither show had their Barnabus Collins's looking so unhuman in regular times... Are we getting all of the "needs blood" Barnabus pictures?

the ninjak
That last pic sorta bothered me. Neither show had their Barnabus Collins's looking so unhuman in regular times... Are we getting all of the "needs blood" Barnabus pictures?

I agree. I liked the original picture of Barnabus whispering something into Elizabeth's ear better. And the more starved version. That recent pic is inevitable though. Burton will have a playful mocking Depp at stages in this film.

marwash22
i have no prior exposure to this franchise... I had only ever heard of it when Patton Oswalt's character on King of Queens mentioned he liked to attend conventions. Just read the wiki for it and it sounds pretty awesome but i think I would be turned off due to it being dated; I'll just wait for the movie.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by the ninjak
I agree. I liked the original picture of Barnabus whispering something into Elizabeth's ear better. And the more starved version. That recent pic is inevitable though. Burton will have a playful mocking Depp at stages in this film.

Yes! He was still obviously gray, but mixed with a tone that made him look almost human. But again, I hope they have a dramatic distinction.

@Marwash - if you're interested, there were twelve episodes worth of a nineties revival that might be youtubbed or hulu-ed.

siriuswriter
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=88005

New Banner posted for Dark Shadows, as well as cast list. Click on banner for bigger version.

First look at Angelique Eva Green just does not look right as a blonde.

And - blech. I thought everyone else was supposed to be human, as in having flesh colored flesh.

Robtard
http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/22178/dark_shadows_photo_cineheroes-deep.jpg

Looks like Eddy Munster grew up.

BruceSkywalker
horrible, just horrible

Patient_Leech
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=88005

Yeah, this looks terrible. Tim Burton has lost his mind...

Then again, I know nothing about this, so maybe it's awesome, I dunno.

rudester
Originally posted by Robtard
Looks like Eddy Munster grew up.

Im sorry but he looks gay...lol And not in the attractive way.

Patient_Leech
^^ Hahaha laughing

Kazenji
Don't know whats up with the white skin for the vampire, Looks nothing like the original Barnabas Collins from the pictures i'm looking up

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002514629/434348378_Dark_Shadows_xlarge.jpeg

siriuswriter
Don't know whats up with the white skin for the vampire, Looks nothing like the original Barnabas Collins from the pictures i'm looking up

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002514629/434348378_Dark_Shadows_xlarge.jpeg

He's supposed to look like a human when he's full of blood. It's when he gets hungry that he quickly descends into a gray monster.

Patient_Leech
More images. Not quite as bad, but it still looks over-done to hell (his hair and makeup looks ridiculous)...

clicky

Kazenji
He's supposed to look like a human when he's full of blood. It's when he gets hungry that he quickly descends into a gray monster.

I guess that explains the pictures were seeing of Depp.

Patient_Leech
I'll have to watch it later, but here's a trailer...

clicky-click

marwash22
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I'll have to watch it later, but here's a trailer...
isjg9O7ifwM

marwash22
heh. not impressed.

the ninjak
OMG! This looks terrible. Burtons over the rails now. The pictures looked ok but this is spoof country. Too much digital SFX and ........oh man this is not what I expected.

I have officially lost all respect for Tim Burton.

rudester
Looks bad, I'll wait for the bootleg version.

Patient_Leech
I have officially lost all respect for Tim Burton.

I've been saying that since Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. (I still haven't seen Alice in Wonderland, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to). This trailer seemed to start out sort of okay, but then just got dumber and dumber. The music wasn't a great choice. I guess it's an attempt at humor, but it just comes off as bad.

Oh how I long for the days of Mars Attacks and Sleepy Hollow... roll eyes (sarcastic)

the ninjak
I've been saying that since Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. (I still haven't seen Alice in Wonderland, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to). This trailer seemed to start out sort of okay, but then just got dumber and dumber. The music wasn't a great choice. I guess it's an attempt at humor, but it just comes off as bad.

Oh how I long for the days of Mars Attacks and Sleepy Hollow... roll eyes (sarcastic)

I know! Add Edwood, Batman and Edward Scissorhands to that list.

The guy is washed up now. Though I admit I liked Sweeney Todd but the work was already done for him.

Alice in Wonderland was trash! but it's currently one of the highest money making films of all time. That's why he makes this junk. Total freakin hack!

Patient_Leech
He will be missed...

(Tim Burton is dead to me, lol)

Kazenji
I've been saying that since Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

His Charlie & the chocolate factory is heaps better then the old one personally..

marwash22
His Charlie & the chocolate factory is heaps better then the old one personally.. McAeQiLmEYU&list=PL63990E6B19FF459D&index=9&feature=plpp_video

the ninjak
His Charlie & the chocolate factory is heaps better then the old one personally..

Dude.

roughrider
The trailer is actually quite funny; not what I was expecting. Won't be one of those serious vampire capers.
Although, it's only opening one week after Avengers...

siriuswriter
That was supposed to be Dark Shadows?

I'm going to go cry in my corner... another life dream, shattered.

Patient_Leech
I thought the beginning of the trailer was pretty amusing (i actually laughed), but then it just got dumber and dumber.

Yeah, whut? You must have some really crazy drugs..

Kazenji
Come on....seriously what the hell

can't people have opinions around......if you can accept other people's then **** off'

erm

the ninjak
That was supposed to be Dark Shadows?

I'm going to go cry in my corner... another life dream, shattered.

We should kick Burton's ass!

Come on....seriously what the hell

can't people have opinions around......if you can accept other people's then **** off'

erm

We still love you Kaz.

swill388
Captain Jack Sparrow is my all time favorite Hero. He is amazing.

the ninjak
REMEMBER EVERYONE.

THE ONLY THING WE HAVE TO FEAR IS OPINION BECOMING FACT.

Patient_Leech
REMEMBER EVERYONE.

THE ONLY THING WE HAVE TO FEAR IS OPINION BECOMING FACT.

Which is why we must crucify him, for his blasphemy..

erm

Jk, bro. Hey, as long as you share your apparently really good shit, all is forgiven.

the ninjak
Which is why we must crucify him, for his blasphemy..

And you call yourself DefoeJesus. stick out tongue

Patient_Leech
And you call yourself DefoeJesus. stick out tongue

No I don't. I call myself Dafoe Christ. I strive to be like Him. hypocrite

It is time for a Willem Dafoe Thread. Humble thyself and repent.

siriuswriter
Ninjak, I am SOOO with you.

We'll turn him into a flea... a harmless little flea. Then we'll put that flea in a box, and put that box inside another box, and then put that box inside another box, mail it to ourselves, and when it arrives?! HAhahahahaHA! We'll smash it with a HAMMAH!

Or, to save on postage, we could just poison him with thissss! *holds up steaming bottle of acid.*

the ninjak
Ninjak, I am SOOO with you.

We'll turn him into a flea... a harmless little flea. Then we'll put that flea in a box, and put that box inside another box, and then put that box inside another box, mail it to ourselves, and when it arrives?! HAhahahahaHA! We'll smash it with a HAMMAH!

Or, to save on postage, we could just poison him with thissss! *holds up steaming bottle of acid.*

HAHHAAHA! genius, it's a plan. He would never expect that.

NMVAbhgYnKE

siriuswriter
You know, Ninjak? Looking around at his personality in his movies...?

He just might.

the ninjak
You know, Ninjak? Looking around at his personality in his movies...?

He just might.

Nah...he's old and lost the magic. If we turned up at his door and turned him into a flea I reckon he'll be genuinely surprised.

I'll put him in a tiny jar and wear it around my neck. So he can watch as I seduce his wife.

Kazenji
4cVcpz8H3Pk

the ninjak
I wonder if Depp feels like his being stereotyped playing this particular version of Collins.

The Rum Diary was such a disappointment and now this. Regardless this is gonna make alot of money.

siriuswriter
Nah...he's old and lost the magic. If we turned up at his door and turned him into a flea I reckon he'll be genuinely surprised.

I'll put him in a tiny jar and wear it around my neck. So he can watch as I seduce his wife.

You know he's married to Helena Bonham Carter, right?

Patient_Leech
I keep thinking the creator of this thread is "TubGirl." Haha

the ninjak
You know he's married to Helena Bonham Carter, right?

Yeah. She's HOT! And because of this I have decided that she will be mine.

Kazenji

the Rum Diary was such a disappointment

So i hear regardless of it getting a limited release.

Kazenji
So the movie has been getting a mixed reaction.

Nephthys
Apparantly this is the worst Tim Burton movie ever made.

When was his last good movie again?

harry1233
i love horror movies

Nephthys
Then you'll love this movie!

Kazenji
I went and seen it Thursday and enjoyed it.... well alot more then his last movie 'Alice In Wonderland'

7/10

rudester
I havent seen it but I sorta want to now for some reason?

rudester
I just saw it and its better then what I thought avengers would be, there was some holes in the story like the warwolf which I did not understand and the house burning to the ground, kinda left me wondering where will they live now? I too give an 8/10 not a seven because it was more entertaining then some of the other crap that I expected to be more good but turned out to be more bad.

BruceSkywalker
any other weekend and this movie would have made a ton of dough..

its D.O.A..

Flyattractor
I saw it and it was pretty good but it isn't gonna be everybody's Fave of the summer.

Better character and plot development then the Avengers anyway..

Kazenji
Originally posted by Flyattractor

Better character and plot development then the Avengers anyway..

laughing laughing

Whatever DC Fanboy

the ninjak
DC fanboys are the worst.

Flyattractor
Damn Straight we are.
But then I only read comics that have LOBO in them.

Do you 2 need any tissues?

Kazenji
You might need them more then us the way you speak of Lobo.

Flyattractor
Have you looked at your sig or avatar lately?

the ninjak
Is that your way of saying go to Hell?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Have you looked at your sig or avatar lately?

What a stupid question....

Flyattractor
I did try to dumb it down for you as much as I could.

Kazenji
Of course i've looked it.......i got Scythe to make the avatar and sig and uploaded it.

Existere
I actually enjoyed this movie quite a bit.

It was fun.

salina33
i have watched this movie but i think i have wasted my money for watching this worth movie.

salina33
i love this movie because johney dep is mine fav actor.

the ninjak
So I finally saw this and although Depp stood out like a sore thumb the cinematography and general vibe of the film was well done.

Eva Green and Bella Heathcotte stole the show.

7/10.

Kazenji
So I finally saw this and although Depp stood out like a sore thumb the cinematography and general vibe of the film was well done.

Eva Green and Bella Heathcotte stole the show.

7/10.

Was it anything like the tv show?.....besides all the comedy in it.

the ninjak
Was it anything like the tv show?.....besides all the comedy in it.

No not really. But the first ten or so minutes had the vibe. After that it was its own thing.

Flyattractor
Was it anything like the tv show?.....besides all the comedy in it. As far as I can recall the old show didn't really have that much comedy in it. It was pretty much a Horror Soap Opera. A few plots of it the movie did lightly touch on tho..
Was nice to see the orginal Barnabas get a cameo tho.

super pr*xy
i liked this movie..

Robtard
Film was pretty god damned boring. Started out decently enough, then about 1/2 to 2/3 through it became stale.

rudester
yeah but it was still bbetter then sum other ones that cam out?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.