Words describing comic books characters that shouldn't be taken too seriously

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darkfan76

xJLxKing
The word infinite universe is over exaggerated

Galan007
unstoppable, invincible, omnipotent, infinite - those types of hyperbolic redundancies shouldn't be used whatsoever, unless one is referring to something which actually fits such a 'title'. imo.

Digi

Knowsbleed33
"Hulk is the strongest one there is".

We all know this is completely untrue.

Mindship
Qualitative absolutes, it seems, were the norm in the olden days when comic stories and characters were more fanciful, ie, there was less scientific thought given to what was being written. Comics back then were basically for kids, and absolutes made things easier to grasp.

Overall, I agree: these sorts of absolutes should be avoided, especially the ones that don't even make any sense, eg, "nearly infinite." Personally, I'd like to see a stricter adherence to science, ie, make comics more like science fiction than fantasy. This is why I often try to translate feats (lifting 100 tons; surviving a nuke) into real numbers. It's quite the eye-opener.

Parmaniac
to the OP did you had a special matchup that made you do this or was it just an overall idea?

EDIT: Agreed Invincible & Omnipotent are extremly misused

darkfan76
Originally posted by Mindship
Qualitative absolutes, it seems, were the norm in the olden days when comic stories and characters were more fanciful, ie, there was less scientific thought given to what was being written. Comics back then were basically for kids, and absolutes made things easier to grasp.

Overall, I agree: these sorts of absolutes should be avoided, especially the ones that don't even make any sense, eg, "nearly infinite." Personally, I'd like to see a stricter adherence to science, ie, make comics more like science fiction than fantasy. This is why I often try to translate feats (lifting 100 tons; surviving a nuke) into real numbers. It's quite the eye-opener.

Well, basically every thread that involves the Hulk, Juggernaut, Batman with prep time or Wolverine. I like them all, but c'mon, fanboys tend to take to literally or take it to the extreme what is said about their favorite characters, and forget, ignore, minimize selectively what is said about others.

Philosophía
Actually, I haven't seen many people overrate Batman's prep. On the other hand, there are quite a few people who, if they see Thanos/Reed/Doom and the word 'prep' mentioned, they think them capable of beating cosmic-entities and anything below is pretty much cannon fodder.

"Batman's prep is overrated" is in line with "Superman sucks and is too powerfull" in terms of overused nonsense.

Other than that, the list is pretty good.

Galan007

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Galan007
"reed pwns. you gave him prep."

thumb down batman has gotten the popular vote numerous times with the word "prep" next to his name or in the op also, not saying it's wrong but it's a double standard. wink

the thing with doom and preparation is his primary stratagem is to absorb energy from whomever. he attempted/succeed to absorb the power of: silver surfer, galactus, beyonder, onslaught, magus' cosmic containment units, etc

the guy always goes for it, he can't help himself.

doom prep =/= bat prep

darkfan76

Galan007
Originally posted by psycho gundam
batman has gotten the popular vote numerous times with the word "prep" next to his name or in the op also, not saying it's wrong but it's a double standard. wink

the thing with doom and preparation is his primary stratagem is to absorb energy from whomever. he attempted/succeed to absorb the power of: silver surfer, galactus, beyonder, onslaught, magus' cosmic containment units, etc

the guy always goes for it, he can't help himself.

doom prep =/= bat prep meh, doom's 'go to' with prep in more recent times has consistently involved his arcane/magical knowledge - and prep involving magic is always a force to be reckoned with. so i can see the argument there.

but with reed, it seems like reasons, and/or feats, are rarely given in regard to what he can do in a given amount of time. like i said before, many people will just give him the auto-win if there is any prep time whatsoever involved - and never specify any 'solid' reason(s) why they feel he'd win.

not saying the same thing doesn't also happen with batman; i personally just see it more with reed.

Philosophía

Badabing
Wrong forum.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.