Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

oman32
1, Do you belive in it

2, what dose it mean to you

Tptmanno1
Simply put no.

Karma has the concept of a larger being determining the consequences of our actions, or at least the idea of some sort of imbued system for maintaining a balance, built into it. And this presumes the idea of a God, which is something that I believe to be metaphysically false, due to multiple logical contradictions.

Symmetric Chaos
Nope.

It would mean that life is fundamentally fair in a measurable way. This seems untrue.

Red Nemesis
There may not be a physical effect we could identify as Karma, but I would definitely say that it is a fair model of interpersonal interaction. If you are nice to people they are more likely to be nice to you. Also: Jerx beget jerx.

oman32
But then the question that comes to mind is , cant your brain create situtions in with thing happen to you because of someting you have done without consideration (cause and effect) where the out come is something you cannot control

Shakyamunison
Yes, I do believe in Karma. Here is a thread that I stated. It has information taken from The Soka Gakkai Dictionary of Buddhism. The problem with most people who say they do not believe in Karma, is that they do not know what Karma is.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=447678

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Nope.

It would mean that life is fundamentally fair in a measurable way. This seems untrue.

Karma has nothing to do with fairness.

Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Simply put no.

Karma has the concept of a larger being determining the consequences of our actions, or at least the idea of some sort of imbued system for maintaining a balance, built into it. And this presumes the idea of a God, which is something that I believe to be metaphysically false, due to multiple logical contradictions.

Karma has nothing to do with a "larger being determining the consequences of our actions".

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Yes, I do believe in Karma. Here is a thread that I stated. It has information taken from The Soka Gakkai Dictionary of Buddhism. The problem with most people who say they do not believe in Karma, is that they do not know what Karma is.

That's a terribly unhelpful explanation.

Shakyamunison
That's a terribly unhelpful explanation.

Karma to me is like Gravity. It just is.

inimalist
Originally posted by oman32
1, Do you belive in it

no

2, what dose it mean to you

depends on who uses it

Karma is used in Indian villages to both justify their terrible conditions and prevent people from disrupting the status quo. In this case, to me, it is oppressive.

Its like any other belief, really, and most people don't act in accordance with what they believe anyways.

Lord Lucien
I can't bear the thought of there actually being a cosmic sense of right and wrong.

oman32
i think there is ... think of it as evolution .. not right and wrong but learning from mistakes

oman32

not to sound mean but that dosent help at all

gobstakid777
i'll put it like this.A couple weeks ago I gave my mom some money w/o telling her,she was near broke,and secretly paid for items she was goin to by.That same day nothing bad happened to me

Shakyamunison
not to sound mean but that dosent help at all

I'm not here to help, but tell me what I can do to help.

The first thing is that most people think Karma is something that it isn't.

At the time of the big bang, the universe was a very small point of energy, but this energy was not uniform. That non uniformity lead to galaxies strewn throughout the dark matter web of the universe. This non uniformity was a type of Karma that was not yet manifest. Now we look out and we see this manifestation of the Karma of the early universe.

Does that help?

Originally posted by gobstakid777
i'll put it like this.A couple weeks ago I gave my mom some money w/o telling her,she was near broke,and secretly paid for items she was goin to by.That same day nothing bad happened to me

Karma is not a reward or punishment thing.

Tptmanno1
I'm not here to help, but tell me what I can do to help.

The first thing is that most people think Karma is something that it isn't.

At the time of the big bang, the universe was a very small point of energy, but this energy was not uniform. That non uniformity lead to galaxies strewn throughout the dark matter web of the universe. This non uniformity was a type of Karma that was not yet manifest. Now we look out and we see this manifestation of the Karma of the early universe.

Does that help?

Karma is not a reward or punishment thing.

Your argument regarding the Big Bang is completely unconvincing because you have absolutely no proof beyond your belief, regarding any nature of this "energy" or "dark matter web"

Shakyamunison
Your argument regarding the Big Bang is completely unconvincing because you have absolutely no proof beyond your belief, regarding any nature of this "energy" or "dark matter web"

So, the only problem you have with my post is the use of the words big bang, energy and dark matter web? laughing

I wasn't talking about the big bang, energy and dark matter web. I was using science to show how Karma can be applied. Many people think Karma is something supernatural, but it is not.

Tptmanno1
It seemed like you were using the quasi scientific explanation as the focal point on which Karma is based, and I objected to that.

However by your quoted definition you describe Karma as "potentials" what exactly do you mean by that?

Shakyamunison
It seemed like you were using the quasi scientific explanation as the focal point on which Karma is based, and I objected to that.

However by your quoted definition you describe Karma as "potentials" what exactly do you mean by that?

A person does an act of kindness. That action has a latent effect on the self image of this person. If no other cause changes this effect, the Karma created by this action will manifest its self as an action. For example they may be kind to another person.

Lord Lucien
So Karma is just cause and effect?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
So Karma is just cause and effect?

No, not just cause and effect. If cause and effect was water, then Karma is a river. All the cause and effects in your life have brought you to were you are now, and into the future. That direction of your life is Karma.

Symmetric Chaos
In other words, karma is just cause and effect.

Needless bit of philosophy really.

Shakyamunison
In other words, karma is just cause and effect.

Needless bit of philosophy really.

Can you read? If you could and did read the thread I posted, you would then know that your statement is untrue. I am sorry if the topic is too difficult for you to understand.

Cause and effect alone does not have aspects like Fixed karma, Unfixed karma and Simultaneity of cause and effect. Cause and effect is a part of Karma, but there is a lot more to it.

Again I invite people to read the thread on the topic.

dadudemon
Here's Karma. The theif died.

http://www.koco.com/news/20382864/detail.html

Watch the vid on the right.

Lord Lucien
Can you read? If you could and did read the thread I posted, you would then know that your statement is untrue. I am sorry if the topic is too difficult for you to understand.

Cause and effect alone does not have aspects like Fixed karma, Unfixed karma and Simultaneity of cause and effect. Cause and effect is a part of Karma, but there is a lot more to it.

Again I invite people to read the thread on the topic.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=447678 I am not reading that whole thing. Summarized paragraph available?

Shakyamunison

Lord Lucien
OK, I understand. It is difficult to understand. I do not fault you for not being up to the task. You don't know what it means to not give a shit, do you? Or are you just an egotist?

Shakyamunison
You don't know what it means to not give a shit, do you? Or are you just an egotist?

There is nothing that compels me to convince you of anything. You have to do it on your own.

Lord Lucien
There is nothing that compels me to convince you of anything. You have to do it on your own. I figured. You'll inform people of their ignorance, and refer them to a text. When asked for a summary, you insult them. When questioned about that, you insult the inquisitor. For someone who discusses philosophy and believes in Karma, whatever it is to you, you practice egotism relentlessly.

Very nice.

Shakyamunison
I figured. You'll inform people of their ignorance, and refer them to a text. When asked for a summary, you insult them. When questioned about that, you insult the inquisitor. For someone who discusses philosophy and believes in Karma, whatever it is to you, you practice egotism relentlessly.

Very nice.

You are very strange. I have no idea why you would think anything I said was an insult. To be honest; I don't care enough to insult you. I just didn't want to paraphrase it for you. As far as trying to convince you? Again, I don't really care.

lil bitchiness
Yes I believe in Karma. A lot.

It is not a being, or controlled by the being or any such thing. It is a force.

It is cause and effect. Your actions are bad, the effect of those actions will negatively affect you and others around you.
It is a poor understanding that Karma 'decides' who to punish and whom to not punish. It does not think, it just is.
It also doesn't work like ''you killed someone and then you were walking down the street and randomly get hit by a bus''.
It is NOT eye for an eye idea.

If you keep on killing people, you will eventually get killed yourself - if not by law, then by someone who's path you crossed.
If you steal you will eventually be caught, or stolen from, cheated or worse.

It's just how it is.

So, yes, I believe in Karma. Your actions (whether good or bad) will affect the outcome of things, one way or another. If not right away, then at some point.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
If you keep on killing people, you will eventually get killed yourself - if not by law, then by someone who's path you crossed.

Not really, there are several people who've murdered and then died happy.

If you steal you will eventually be caught, or stolen from, cheated or worse.

Being cheated isn't effected by cheating other people.

It's just how it is.

No it's not. Karma is a bullshit balancing act made up to convince gullible people that life is somehow fundamentally fair. At its worst karma is empirically untrue, at best it describes something that is totally irrelevant.

So, yes, I believe in Karma. Your actions (whether good or bad) will affect the outcome of things, one way or another. If not right away, then at some point.

That's not karma. That's cause and effect. By definition if you do something, something will happen. Babies know this, no one should be so deluded about things that they have to declare their belief in that.

lil bitchiness
Not really, there are several people who've murdered and then died happy.

Being cheated isn't effected by cheating other people.

No it's not. Karma is a bullshit balancing act made up to convince gullible people that life is somehow fundamentally fair. At its worst karma is empirically untrue, at best it describes something that is totally irrelevant.

That's not karma. That's cause and effect. By definition if you do something, something will happen. Babies know this, no one should be so deluded about things that they have to declare their belief in that.

Karma IS cause and effect. That is the fundamental idea of Karma.
I don't know what Hollywood told you think, but it is wrong.
It helps to actually read about Karmic philosophy.

And I am just really interested in people that you know killed and died HAPPY.
I am really interested in how you know how they died and what they felt.

In case you are about to go on about Stalin, the circumstances of his death will never be known, however it is widely believed that he was killed with rat poison which induced his stroke.

Even Pol Pot was not ALLOWED to be examined for causes of his death, raising suspicions of suicide or poisoning.

inimalist
are you arguing that all people who have killed another person were killed themselves?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by inimalist
are you arguing that all people who have killed another person were killed themselves?

No, absolutely not. I am not even arguing that those who have killed will be or are killed themselves.
Karmic debt is not about eye for an eye.

I was replying to his post.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned murder at all as I don't think I have expressed myself correctly.

The Dark Cloud
There is absolutely no such thing as Karma. What comes around most definitly does not go around.

inimalist
No, absolutely not. I am not even arguing that those who have killed will be or are killed themselves.
Karmic debt is not about eye for an eye.

I was replying to his post.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned murder at all as I don't think I have expressed myself correctly.

I was just clarifying for myself, no worries

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
There is absolutely no such thing as Karma. What comes around most definitly does not go around.

And that is not Karma.

matunechka
Every person has his own Karma. That is in other words his desteny or so called "planned life or future". Planned by God who had the greatest will and strength. So nobody can change his Karma.

SIDIOUS 66
And that is not Karma. So where did the concept come from?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
So where did the concept come from?

It came from the Hindus, but the meaning of the word was changed by Buddhism. I am only talking about Karma as used by the Buddhism I practice.

The Dark Cloud
Karma is total and complete BULL$HIT. Too many people in this world have fukked other people over and gone on to live lives of luxury and comfort for karma to be real.

I could write an entire series of books on this but what comes around most definitly DOES NOT go around.

Shakyamunison
Karma is total and complete BULL$HIT. Too many people in this world have fukked other people over and gone on to live lives of luxury and comfort for karma to be real.

I could write an entire series of books on this but what comes around most definitly DOES NOT go around.

I get the feeling you think that Karma is a balance sheet. There is no fairness in Karma. I think most people in the western world have no idea what Karma is, and that includes you.

Symmetric Chaos

thumb up

inimalist
but thats not karma, guys

Karma is all forms of cause and effect and all potential for future cause and this is scientific because all encompassing theories of everything are the hallmark of science

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by inimalist
but thats not karma, guys

Karma is all forms of cause and effect and all potential for future cause and this is scientific because all encompassing theories of everything are the hallmark of science

No, no. Karma is the life energy that began the universe.

inimalist
oh, ok

that makes more sense then

Mindship

I could write an entire series of books on this but what comes around most definitly DOES NOT go around. This statement implies that you have absolute awareness of all circumstances influencing all these lives, and that yeah, in the end, the Complete Tally didn't add up. This as opposed to the keyhole awareness through which we actually observe life.

Yup, I'd like to see "fairness in action" too. But then, it would be cool to see, eg, evolution in action. It's a shame that the latter, at least, operates on too grand a scale for me to perceive.

I'm not necessarily saying your statement is wrong. But I do think it's a good idea to keep in mind that human beings can be incredibly short-sighted creatures, particularly when strong emotion is involved.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.