Movies are taking ideas from video games?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
I saw district 9 last night. Really awesome movie. But at the same time i'm like, this is really familiar. The whole thing really reminded me of resistance fall of man in a way. aliens come down, guy gets infected. It wasn't a total rip off, but I was like hmmmmmm.

Same night I saw a trailer for that animated movie "9". Im like, "hey its sack boy from Little big planet." There were even shots in the movie that looked total side scrolling video game like.

Smasandian
District 9 has nothing in common with Resistance aside from the fact that they are aliens and have a spaceship.

Going from your perspective, Aliens is like Half Life because it has aliens showing up unexpectedly, uncommon hero, confined area and lots of blood.

And, the short Alive in Joburg, the short film which the film was based on was released atleast a year before the game.

So, no correlation what so ever.

As for your point, well, maybe, but I haven't seen a movie that reminds me of a game outside of very basic principals (action)

Zack Fair
So how many movies have video games ripped?

Smasandian
Everyone.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Smasandian
Everyone. World of goo?

Smasandian
Oh kay, 75%.

Kazenji
The Pirates Of The Carribean movies felt like the Monkey Island games to me in some parts.

BackFire
The tone and atmosphere of D9 reminded me of Half Life 2.

TGYDK
Yeah, but how many videogames take ideas from movies? I guess that makes sense because they are created for fun, so taking idea's from what we like is cool.

Smasandian
Well, Halo's look and feel is a carbon copy of Aliens.

BackFire
It's natural for video games to take ideas from movies since the latter is the senior of the two mediums. The new medium will always take ideas from the older mediums until it develops its own identity. Films did the same thing when they were new, often copying aspects and tactics and plots and ideas from plays and what have you.

Smasandian
True.

I'm still waiting for my Half Life movie. Waiting....

killmuuus
I heard that WoW movie is coming out soon, cant wait to see that

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by killmuuus
You're kidding right?

And I can't believe no one's commented on the "Gamer" movie yet.

Kazenji
True.

I'm still waiting for my Half Life movie. Waiting....

You'll be waiting a while the way Valve keep turning down the all the scripts so far.

Smasandian
I know. I know.

It will never happen.

Mandrag Ganon

yup, the covenant and Aliens are practically interchangable. big grin

Originally posted by killmuuus

Now that would be interesting to see how they change an MMO into a movie with a well-adapted story line.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Mandrag Ganon
yup, the covenant and Aliens are practically interchangable. big grin

Now that would be interesting to see how they change an MMO into a movie with a well-adapted story line.

Have you looked at the space marines in Aliens, to the space marines in Halo?

Alpha Centauri

Yeah, if it was a rave documentary on e-tarded space marines with super soakers.

-AC

Smasandian
Even the drop ships are pretty much identical.

Tsal Can
Pretty funny considering that D9 was going to be the Halo movie.

And 9 was based on a short that was long before Little Big Planet.

occultdestroyer
They're going to make a Shadow of The Colossus movie.

After failed attempts of making a decent movie like Tomb Raider and the like... now this.

When will Hollywood ever learn to stop facepalm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.