LOTR RP Game part 1- Journey to Fornost

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Rivendell, 1971 TA

(All background and maps handled in a seperate thread)

Advance forces of the Witch-King pour into Cardolan. Whilst the remaining nobility and landowners shelter in scattered forts and well-defended towns, the smaller settlements fall quickly to the Dunlending and Orcish raids. The Dunlendings strike at day and the orcs at night; at no time are the populace safe. Some nervously await some counter-attack from Arthedain, or maybe from the Elves. No such thing happens.

The Great East-West road, once bastion of civilisation in the north, is now too dangerous for lone travellers, maybe even for armed groups. No longer can the casual traveller come to the great Northern Human realm of Arnor, not even to Arthedain, the last remaining secure part of it.

But nine travellers now prepare to make their way to the capital of Arthedain, Fornost-Erain. In three groups of three they come there for different diplomatic reasons- the Gondorian Dunadain Aranui and his retiinue come to pledge his family's friendship with the nobles of the north, whom Gondor have recently made contact with. Three elves, two of Elrond's household, and one Silvan from Mirkwood, go to show that the Elves are still aware of the existence of Arnor, and for the Silvan elf to take a closer look at the troubles of that place. And a Dwarf and three Hobbits go there to ask for protection for a new trade route they wish to open, at a time when such protection is sparse.

Elrons has bidden the nine to travel together, for the better protection of each other. Each thinks they will travel together just this once and maybe never meet agin, but instead they will be drawn into something much larger than their mere diplomacy.

Ok, guys, you leave tomorrow morning. I need to know what provisions you wish to take from Rivendell, which supplies, if you will all be mounted or on foot, how fast you wish to go, when you amp, you will keep watch... in short, come up with a travelling plan together!

Fire
"Okie gentlemen here is what I suggest, mind you by no means do we have to do this, I know my knowledge from the road up ahead is limited so is my knowledge of you. seeing that we have 3 rangers, 2 warriors, 2 elves who seem to be in to magic and 2 hobbits. I suggest we let 2 of the rangers scout ahead, for this road will harbor many dangers. I suggest Palafirith master elf and Anglomir to take this role if they are willing ofcourse. sorry master Aranui but it is my mission to get you to Fornost in one piece so I dare not ask this of you. then I suggest the master dwarf, myself and master aranui in last case to defend the spellcasters and the hobbits. I would not travel on horse back for I assume the hobbits will be uncomfortable and maybe the master dwarf as myself preferes to go on foot. Also I think we will make less smoke what do you think master elf (looking at palanfirith).
When we camp I suggest we work out a watch, seeing on who needs his sleep the most.
Again these are my idea's they are free of any judgement, but we can take any other plan.
I have only one point of allegeance that is with the king of Gondor!!"

I'd like to take trail rations, an extra knife is always handy and some rope don't forget the water

Dexx
Vardalain too wants for them not to travell mounted. He packed his belongings some time ago: His trusty bow, arrows ofcourse. His sword hanging from his belt.
Near his sword hang three little bags, and the others assume they contain herbals.
Vardalain doesn't forget to pack food and water for this trip wich will probably proove exhausting.
His light armor is strapped on him and seems rady to go.
He polishes his bow, listening to what others have to say before they go.

Ushgarak
Hobbits and Dwarfs ride ponies.

Answer to who needs sleep most: The non-Elves. Elves don't sleep; they meditate and only need do that for a few hours every few days.

Dexx
(us noldor, we can probably meditate on turns and keep guard the rest of the time so that we can cover a whole day.)

Fitch
it's perfect for me.I agree you Zeratul.It's my honor to scout with Anglomir,it is for the best safty of this group.We'll go way in the front and scout the terrain out and try to pull you out from trouble.I'll go on foot so I'll be more agile and focused.Probably I need the smallest time to meditate but I'll watch over you as much as I can.

Ushgarak
The flip side is that is is bloody hard to wake up on Elf from meditiation. They have a built-in alarm clock that wakes them at a time decided before they go in, other than that it takes more than loud noises to get them up.

Fitch
no problem.....I can handle it.....

Dexx
(we're three elves...taking turns seems the most acceptable solution.
or we could tie one of them ...hobbits...yeah, hobbits they call 'em, to a tree and sort of pinch him from time to time with the tip of an arrow for them not to fall asleep. smile)

Fitch
takeing turns is the most acceptable solution.I agree you master Vardalain.
Oh and I forgot.I'll take my trusty bow,recived as a gift fron Elrond,my 2 deggers,The Arrow Bag of Enrhosiel and on my bels I have a bag,that everybody thinks it's food ot somethink but it ain't.....

P.S:I wonder when were gonna leave......

Ushgarak
I vetoed that arrow bag, remember?

You can leave once you want to but I would hesitate to go before Mah comments.

narcil
yeah--i'll go along with whatever you guys decide on---gotta lot of stuff to do tonight n' tmrrw so...*LOL* resolve the issue of how to begin between yourselves. ^_^

Bespin Bart
Anglomir tries to stick close the Elves or his good friends from Gondor. "This will be a long and perilous road, will it not Aranui?" he asks his friend as he sharpens his sword which he has entitled Orc's Bane. He twirls it around a few times before sheathing it. He slides his throwing knives in his pack, and puts one in his wrist gauntlet.

He packs some steak and pork into his food wallet, along with his pipe, a cutting knife, rope, and his sharpening rock for his sword. He polishes his iron & gold plated, forest green shield, which he'll sling across his back during the journey.

Captain REX
Talin only packs his pipe and a few big chunks of meat and jerky. At his hip he wears his Dwarvish ale flask. "Us Dwarves are a hearty folk. We need not be weighted down by hordes of weapons or bundles of clothing and food. All I need is my axe and some meat, and I'll be fine."

"Just one thing...while we're on this journey, don't touch the beard," Talin announces to the other fellow travellers. He strokes his red, braided beard. He then slides on his mithril helmet.

Ushgarak
Oh, you do NOT have a Mithril helmet! Who do you think you are, the King?

mah
"Zeratuls general plan should be okay" Aranui says. "We'll travel as fast as possible, that is as fast as the slowest in our party can manage, and feel comfortable with. No need to rush and get us all tired and weary, but we should keep a steady speed ahead."

other than food and water I'll take a knife for general use.

Fire
(chill ush)
"Thx for the confidence everyone also a good point master"

Ushgarak
Again, that wasn't angry, only expressive!

The journey will be some three weeks on foot, and that is including the guidance of the Rangers.

Other than that, I'll set you guys off when I get back on for a decent amount oif time tonight.

(BTW, Mah isn't really a Master... he's a Royal Family member but also a ranking officer so 'sir' is probably better)

Fitch
(as I'm a High Elf,and I mock the rest,I won't call him 'sir' but I'll respect him for his rank.)
(waiting for the mod to give 'The Start' )

Dexx
(your race doesn't imply any strict behaviour fitch....it's obvious that any others outside mah's party shouldn't call him sir)

Mujaffa
where are we going?? says Holfast as he places his sword on his back..
As soon as we get there we all could go home again...

will be packed with a razor sharp sword atached to his back and two daggers in the belt..all prept and ready too go!!

Fire
"We are going to the royal City of Fornost Master Holfast it is a mission of great importance to all the people gathered here today.
dwarves, elves, men and hobbits ofcourse"

Mujaffa
good,good.when are we going?*looks at very hairy feet*

Dexx
vardalain waits for the departure after he finishes packing his belongings. He's quiet, he said nothing so far, hoping the hobbit won't maintaing suc a ...jolly atmosphere thorughout the road

Fire
"Tomorrow when the time is right and the air is fresh we should be leaving Rivendell, but not untill we thank lord elrond for his hospitality in these troubled times"

Mujaffa
*starts singing on a old hobbit-tune*
tum-tum-tum-tum-tei

Fitch
indeed we do.We have to thank Elrond,and then go and get rest.Little hobbits rest now as much as you can because we have a big day tommorow.I'll go checking the exits a little bit and then I'll be back... said Palanfirith.

(God I wished it started tonight)

Dexx
Vardalain leaves the room, avoiding the halfling, clearing his thoughts

Mujaffa
*stops singing and goes to bed*sweet dreams poeple

Fire
" what do you mean by checking the exits? Rivendell borders are among the best protect known to man, but if you would feel better I see no trouble in that master elf"

mah
"I'll go prepare for the journey, and get some sleep." Aranui says to the members of his group and then goes off to where he'll spend the night.

Fire
"I'm going off to find a book to read or someone to talk to before I go to sleep in the open"

Dexx
Vardalain finds his good river site and from the balcony, he beggins his descent into the meditation

Ushgarak
The next day comes. It is bright and sunny, a good omen for your journey.

You will set out along the great road bordering the Trollshaws. Meeting a troll is the LAST thing you will want! Safe during the day, of course, but you must be alert for signs of them at night...

Elrond himself turns out to give his farewell to you people, though he is sure that whatever roads lay ahead of you will bring you back to Imladris in time, maybe even soon.

You pass now through the gates of Rovendell, over the Ford and into country no longer safe...

narcil
i'll pack several books, my bow, and a bit of food.

Fitch
Palanfirth is fresh although he scouted the road in the night.The road is pretty clear in this part but we must be careful because evil is upon these roads.Il be in front with Anglomir said Palanfirith.

Dexx
vardalain strays a little behind. the sun reaching his face through some branches makes him feel refreshed for the ride. He slowly walks not getting too out of pace with the others.

mah
Aranui feels satisfied that they have begun the journey, and walks most of the time in front.

Mujaffa
Holfast walking middle of the road,looking at the trees..When's breakfast??

Fitch
Anglomir,sense anything unusual ?sais Palanfirith looking around.

Ushgarak
WARNING! Finuvien (Narcil) is female! I recently learnt this to my surprise, so I thought I should inform you guys!

The opening days pass uneventfully. No large armies of trolls eat you at night. You spend this time getting to know each other, in a kind of cultural exchange. Or at least, discovery of cultural ignorance. No-one can understand why the Hobbits walk barefoot and sing; why the elves leave no impression on the ground and don't sleep but go into unbreakable snoozes eveery three days; why the humans are so grim anbd moody and why the Dwarf eats food you could probably bash people to death with.

This time brings you to the Last Bridge, on the Hoarwell, that you camp out nearby. Again, it seems that nothing will happen that night.

Except... there is ONE thing. Whilst on watch, Palanfirth, you see a crow land on the bridge ahead. You feel a cold chill go through you as you look at it, and it appears to be eyeing you back. Odd to see birds flying at night... but it flutters off soon after.

Fitch
something it's not rightthinks Palanfirith.I should worn the othersHe get's off the tree where he was watching and hurrys to the others(not makewing any noise of course).He goes to Anglomir Anglomir,wake up,something is going on.Something strange happened while I was wathing the bridge.I think troops are moving towards us.
Then quietly goes at vardalain as he doesn't wan't to create any panic among the hobbits and tells him what he saw.
I think we should be careful.Anglomir,come with me to find out what is going on.vardalain,stay here and prepare the others.
(waiting for ush post to see what is it)

Dexx
(??looki everyone...i found....i found a crow!..it was so big and black....prepare for war! laughing out loud smile..j/k)

vardalain minds palanfirith's words in his own measurement. He doesn't underestimate any possible situation but he's not too keen in overreacting.

Ushgarak
Well, your keen Elf eyes, even at night, can see it fluttering away... it's a crow... a big, black, crow...

Dexx
might it be a scout? he thinks.

Ushgarak
Crows are certainly a bad omen- and you know what they say about the Witch-King- he has spies everywhere, birds, beasts...

You are in Rhudaur, a fallen land. Anything is suspicious.

Fitch
it could be a patrol looking over this bridge..we have to find out. he thinks.
(now I have to wait for BB post or u're post ush,for more details ?)

Ushgarak
There's nothing coming, It's a still night

(Bascially, you wait for me for events, but you can converse and think and prepare all you like)

Dexx
Vardalain realises their ut of imladris's protected area, who knows what's lurking in the suroundings. They'd best be prepared

Fire
when I awake, I never sleep hard in company of others and I have had a good nights rest the day before, I walk over to palanfirith and ask him:"What is the matter master elf? you look troubled

Fitch
Something is going on.Something strange happened while I was wathing the bridge.I saw a crow moving,strange for this time of the night.I think troops are moving towards us,or at least a patrol.something is not right...we should be prepared.awake the hobbits,because they are moody after sleeping and get them readysaid Palanfirith

Fire
"hmm I trust your judgement in this ranger, I just pray for your sake I will not have woken them for no reason" wink

I go and slowly wake up the hobbits

Dexx
vardalain is skeptical and belives this an overreacted situation. we'll encounter many crows in our journey he thinks. he's prepared but slighly more relaxed then the others.

besides..the hobbits might just start...singing again

Fire
"Maybe you are right Master elf but still, dare we take the risk of being ambushed many of us are not hardened warriors, so there is no risk in being unprepared I think it might be better to take a double watch for every night when we sleep in places as insecure as this, there should be safer places to sleep"

Ushgarak
Wait! One of the Hobbits has gone! The crow must have eaten him!

Oh wait, no, there it is... just too short for you Elves to see easily...

Well, there seems to be no more trouble coming for now.

Dexx
(why do i find keeping the game serious so hard when i have hobbits round me..i just feel like posting a sarcastic or funny remark. ok, i'll behave. i wanted to say i was hoping for the crow to have let us some of that hobbit meat, bet it's tasty...u see?...i'm even mocking my own characters character. damn..i'll stop now smile)

Fire
"I say we let them sleep for now, and also let everyone who wants to sleep or rest, those who do not trust the situation can keep guard, like me"

I sit down and start doing relaxation exercices

Dexx
vardalain retreats in his night meditation. He'll save the trouble thinking for farther in the trip.

Ushgarak
Personally, I think the High Elves SHOULD find the Hobbits comical. Not that Elves really understand barbed sarcasm but your thoughts are a good human translation of what they WOULD feel.

Fitch
Palanfirith also remains on guard,just to be sure that nothing happens to those little and strange hobbits smile.He is happy that at least one shares his concern,Zeratul.

Ushgarak
You keep watch uneasily that night, unable to shake your creepy feeling.

In the cold light of the next morning, it all seems a bit silly, though. No-one seems to have died horribly in the night, and soon you are making your way onwards, over The Last Bridge. Your next major landmark is Weathertop!

narcil
in the early light, finuvien attempts to read a bit more, silently cursing herself for having not brought a light to read by. even elven eyes, she has found, become strained by reading at night, in the darkness.
in spite of her curiosity for the various races of elves, short persons and, particularly, humans gathered there, a general wariness has prevented her from conversing with any of the party.
once again, she wonders if she should have expressed such an interest in acting as an emissary to rivendell this past week--regardless, this journey ought to serve as good practical experience, mingling among these other creatures..and venturing into these unfamiliar and dangerous lands. she awaits for the others to wake; though it appears that some have spent a fairly restless night. the crow stirred a reasonable amount of unease among those who saw it.

Dexx
Vardalain remains a little behind the group, as usuall. He spent a great deal of the night analising the suroundings, though they left those some time ago, and practicing his weapons skill.
He finds weathertop very relaxing, a lot of memories rise in his mind at the thought of that place.

Fitch
Palanfirith goes in the front until we reach weathertop.
He finds weathertop a very good place to camp,as it's a very good place to watch.He silently stops at the edge and sits down,thinking.

mah
(we aren't actually AT weathertop yet, are we...)

Ushgarak
No, it will take a few days!

mah
Mah goes with infront and looks out for anything out of the ordinary; creatures, or signs of them.

Fire
(hmm don't think you call yourself that in this rpg mate)

hmm I go and watch the back of the group to make sure noone stays behind or gets lost

Fitch
I simply walk watching my back(and frontsmile)......

Mujaffa
when's dinner...holfast complains...Need food now....fall to the ground, fakeing big time..

Ushgarak
And so the jolly hobbit cheers everyone's spirits... or maybe not...

About a week into your journey- about halfway between The Last Bridge and Weathertop- the Rangers are worried about a campsite for the night, as darkness falls. Near the road itself is somewhat exposed, but no site can be found near the road north or south. Going deeper north or south, into falledn Rhudaur or war-torn Cardolan, does not appeal.

You are about to decide on the Cardolan option as the lesser of all evils, when the elves in party spy small fires in the distance, down the road.

Mujaffa
draws sword....not so brave after all hey...

Dexx
vardalain looks carefully in the distance, at the fires.
"a dunleding camp perhaps" he says. "we should be weary"

Fitch
we should decide if we're camping here,and wait for daytime to go further or to find out what are those fires.said Palanfirith lookin deep into the darkness.

Dexx
"we're not here to engage any troops we see. I say we keep our defensive position and go around them. " he says "though we should make sure first they're enemies"

Mujaffa
draws breath and sticks sword back again..And how long will you think that would take???

Fitch
I dont' know.Maybe Vardalain is right.We shall first see who they are.Who's comming with me ?

Mujaffa
well i gotta make use for me right so i'm comming

Fitch
I consider it would be best for you Holfast Hill to stay here.But if you wan't to go nobody will stop you... said Palanfirth looking VERY down to the little hobbit.

Mujaffa
even the smallest could change the future..kicks legg and runs against the fire..

Fire
I growl, not too loudly but with an unpleasant undertone in my voice:"Holfast get back here now!!!!"
I chase the hobbit, and will hold him to a still
with a calmer voice I say:"I agree ebven the smallest can change the future, but you will not change the future by dieing today, very well you may not die, but do you really want to put us at risk. I expect to see great things from you young Holfast but I do not think you're time has come just yet"

I whisper to Holfast: "forget what the elf said he's scared you'll take away his glory" wink

Mujaffa
i can take care of my one back Master Elf..and they won't care about a singel hobbit out walking now would they???

narcil

Fire
"maybe they don't care about it, but I do care, sorry but I will not let you endanger yourself or this team. That you can take care of your own back I am quite sure, tho every warrior as cunning as yourself should know that it is not a good idea to rush into an unexplored camp, let the rangers do their job"

Dexx
vardalain, who was with them, manages to channel his focus on the nearby fires, forgetting the hobbit. He doesn't understand why a creature of this sort ended walking here, with them.
He'd better hold those escapades for less dangerous times. Actions such as those can get all of them killed in these lands. Still he sais nothing, instead he pins the hobbit with an accusing,harsh look, meaning more then words.

Mujaffa
gives the same harsh look straight back..I'm comming too, or you'll have to put me in a sack and carry me for the rest of the way..

Ushgarak
Careful what you wish for...

Mujaffa
fine, fine, i'll wait.....not for long

Dexx
"ooh, i think we can manage that..." says vardalain finally not paying anymore attention to the small being

Fire
I snap at Vardalain:"Vardalain that wasn't smart you elf"

Dexx
(what wasn't smart?)

Mujaffa
start giggeling and falls of the three he's sitting on

narcil
i wish i knew how to delete some of my own posts....i've tried but it says i'm denied access to that page. hm. >.<

Fire
(crap it needed to be in before the fine fine from muja sorry)

narcil
(*LOL* this is difficult!)

Ushgarak
Okidokey, let's bring things under control here.

WHO is going ahead to check the lights out?

narcil
i'm gonna stay. *LOL* lights...*waves hand* i'm sure it's an optical illusion of some sort. ^_~

Fire
"I'm staying at the camp. I think some of us would be wise to do the same wink, Besides a few scouts will be enough the bigger the group the more attention it will atract"

Ushgarak
Two nays... any sure yays?

mah
"I will go ahead and look at what the fires might be" Aranui says. "And I'd like some of the other rangers of the group to join me, if possible."

Ushgarak
Ok, once we have a couiple you can go check it out.

(Tnis is actually a lot of effort for no great tangible gain but consider this a practice run for group activity in future. Next time it might be an ambush and you'd be in serious trouble by now)

Dexx
"i'm going too" says VArdalain.

Mujaffa
And i'll.....*looks around*....stay right here...

Ushgarak
Ok, Aranui and Vardalian, you check ahead...

The fires are small but lifted from the ground- beacons. But the post they are attached to is obscured, because what you are actually approaching here looks like some sort of temporary fort or settlement. It is ringed with a tight wall of sharpened wooden stakes with a makeshift gate. There are some people milling around inside. It's pretty big! it is on the south side of the road.

Mujaffa
Holfast starts singing quietly:
O! Wanderers in the shadowed land
despair not! For though dark they stand,
all woods there be must end at last,
and see the open sun go past:
the setting sun, the rising sun,
the day's end, or the day begun.
For east or west all woods must fail...

Dexx
Vardalain is focused on his stealth, he doesn't want to be seen. He checks the settlement carefully, trying to figure out what they are. Dundleings, it seems.

Ushgarak
Dunlendings? Off the hills? Unlikely.

Fitch
Palanfirh remains with Zeratul(because my fu**ing internet connection) and thinks deep at those lights.He wonders if Aranui is ok because it is his duty to get him safe out of these roads.

Dexx
(um, no not quite..that's aranui's party job. we're just a sign of solidarity for arthedain's king. )

mah
Aranui speaks to Vardalain "Well we have no business here at this time. There's nothing to gain in trying to enter here or come closer, with the guards and all. Do you not agree, Vardalain?"

Dexx
"I agree Aranui" he says "we're better off around them"
vardalain then tries to see if the encountered creatures are enemies indeed.

Ushgarak
No... they look like men, but too civilised to be Dunlendings.

Wait... the guards at the gate bear the Crest of Cardolan!

Dexx
(umm..i assume we don't/didn't get through cardolan to reach amon sul. Rhudaur covers the whole way)

"cardolan.." says vardalain slowly "what could they be doing so far north?"

Ushgarak
SOUTH side of the road, Dexx... look at the map! Your whole journey on the road will be on the Cardolan border! Which makes it not strange at all.

Fitch
Palanfirith is getting worried
Zeratul,I must go and see what happened with them.I should have gone with them..takeing Zeratul in a private discution said to him take care of that hobbit,he could run and put all of us in danger
Then he leaves on the same like the 2 scouts went.

Dexx
(ph..didn't know the road is exactly on the border)

Fitch
Palanfirih is moveing quietly without makeing any noiz.While he was getting closer to those lights he sees something moveing in the front at a medium distance.He stands still and analize the object.
Is that Aranui or a patrol ? he thinks...

Ushgarak
I'll probably need some indication of what you guys are doing. That settlement isn't going to grow legs and come your way.

That IS what you would call a friendly settlement, btw.

mah
"Vardalain, these men should be friendly, and maybe they can give us advice on where to spend the night, or perchance even offer us to spend it in their accomodation."

Bespin Bart
"If they are men of Cardolan, I say we enter for the night. I am weary of sleeping on the ground with a root in my back. And I'm sure the Halflings would enjoy it," Anglomir says, rolling his eyes at the hobbits. Though he has a kind nature, the warrior from Gondor is finding it hard to like the hobbits ("Always complaining about 2nd breakfast and afternoon luncheon..."wink, and the same for the dwarf ("Greedy little bugger..."wink.

Dexx
(umm...only me and mah are at the sight..)

"yes, i agree" he says "we should go speak with their leader"

Ushgarak
(Frankly, at this point, half the population of Arnor could have wonderede over by now)

Right, I have no intention of waiting for a decision on who does and doesn't go so you all can...

As you draw near, the two guards at the front gate at first look at you suspcious, preparing to ready their weapons, but they quickly see you are no Dunlendings. But... odd...

"Who are you?" one of them asks.

Fitch
(should I understand that we're all here?at the gate?)

Dexx
"friendly forces" says Vardalain approaching somewhat conffident. He 'holsters' back his bow and looks ate the cardolan people's settlement.
"we've strayed here in our journey and we would much appreciate a place to spend the night" he says politely.

Fitch
Palanfirith stays in the back of the group beeing prepared for any "mistakes".He doesn't talk but he is very focused on the settlement.

Ushgarak
The guards look at you and each other curiously.

"Are you Elves?" they ask of you.

(Of the ELVES, obviously. Not the Hobbits.)

Dexx
"just us two, and one half" he says. "we have others in our party"
(didn't mention finuvien..she hasn't been posting much lately)

Ushgarak
"And what business do ELVES have on these here parts?" asks the guard, in a rich Cardolani conutry accent.

Dexx
Vardalain is usually skeptical in giving info away that easy but realises that he must tell him in order to be accepted here.
"we're on our way to fornost" he answers "the night caught us here"

mah
Aranui speaks to the guard"We are all on the same mission here, and the same side; be it elves, dwarves, men or halflings. The Dunlendings are our foes as well, and we're not safe spending the night out in these territories. It would be greatly appreciated if you would give us some help; we will leave when the sun rises"

Ushgarak
"Oh yeah?" says the guard. "And what business would ELVES have in Fornost? There ain't been any Elves there in a long time."

"I don't like this," says the other.

Ushgarak
(Damn. Swap those last two posts around, everyone!)

The guards look at you, Aranui, but this time with surprise rather than suspicion.

"And who are you...?" they ask, but in a somewhat respectful tone.

mah
"I am Aranui, son of Erendurin, member of the royal household of Gondor."

Ushgarak
"Gondor?" There are a few moment's silence. "Wait here," says one, and disappears inside.

A couple of minutes later, a taller man comes out with the guard, with a bushy beard and wearing smart chain instead of the ragged armour of the guards. He looks you over.

"I am Captain Kumar," he says. "And you are... Aranui, I am told? A Dunadan?"

mah
"That I am. My men and the others in our group ask you to let us spend the night here."

Ushgarak
"He doesn't look quite right for a Dunadan," says one of the guards. Kumar keep on looking you over.

"They say the Southern Lords look more... broad... than the Northern line..." He startes for a few moments more.

"But Dunadan he is, and welcome here. Please, all come inside." The guards pull open the gates again for you. "You must come and tell us your story."

He leads you in. Inside the whole place looks all the more ramshackle- it is mostly tents and VERY makeshift buildings. The only sign of true civilisation is a forge near the middle, where a large man works over some horseshoes.

Many people watch you come in- tired, scurfyy-,ooking people of all ages. Many huddle in fear and wonder, with a "Are those REALLY Elves?" expression on their faces.

"I hear you wish to stay but one night," says Kumar. "You should know that we move on each night in any case, making camp further down the road each day, so yu would only have stayed HERE the one night anyway..." He is leading you towards a large canvas-topped wooden building in thew middle.

"Come to our hall," he says, "and take refreshments."

Dexx
vardalain is happy to have found such a welcome and advances feeling confortable. He pays little attention to the amazed people around.

mah
"Thank you, it is greatly appreciated." Aranui follows the Kumar inside.

Ushgarak
This is a time to swap stories. You tell him of your tales, and he tells you of yours.

These people are abandoning Cardolan. Their homes are ruined or razed. Dunlending incursions are now more than just raiding parties- they are small armies. Kumar knows not where his company is- scattered or dead, he assumes. He gathered together what men under arms he could find- he has less than twenty- and gathered together the some 200 refugees he has here. Lacking Rangers like yourselves to navigate the wilds, they came North to the road, nad now plan to move west to Arthedain. Setting up this fort each night as they move meands they are going slow- less than then miles a day, and they are weary. But it is the only way to be safe. They tell you bad news- that Dunlendings regularly occupy parts of the road now, and not in squads, but in large groups. Only by setting up a camp like this each night can they deter attack as the Dunlendings search for easier fare.

They hear Orcs now strike in the east of Cardolan at night as well. They doubt any refugees will mkae it out of there alive now. These are the lucky ones.

You also meet Grum the blacksmith, a BIG man who tells you that the Arthedain military has decided to pull out of Cardolan and abandon it entirely. They wanted to petition Arvdedui personally for aid but now they know that by the time they reach him, Cardolan will have been razed. But yet on the west side of Cardolan, there is still civilisation. Some fortresses and even some towns hold- there is rumour that one Cardolani army still exists. Grum is also VERY interested at looking at Anglomir's sword- not to mention all that Elvish craft some of you have!

Thgese people are muchly glad of your presence and VERY glad to see friendly Elves- but you fear you may be raising false hope of intervention from Rivendell you know that Elrond will not grant.

And Gondor too? Kumar, who is descended from a man who was the Cardolan King's bodyguard, knows much of the Dunadan. He says you look different from the ones he has had described, and he speaks true- the Northern Line IS more pure than yours (but you don't like to talk about it. The recent (in the three centuries ago sense) Gondor Civil War was all about purity. Ironically the losing side have now become the Corsairs and are becoming as impure as they complained your side was!) Kumar has heard rumours of the Gondorian-Arnorian alliance. COULD a Gondorian army be spared? You really do not know, Aranui, bit you find it hard not to sympathise.

There is fun and laughter that night- the Elves and Hobbits are invited to sing, to dance (Hobbits) and read poetry (Elves). You can accept or decline as you choose. Anglomir, aside from talking to Grum as you hav eben all night, these people are people JUST like yourself, and you feel muchly at home here. You Elves find it all rather course and common, but reasonable enough. The Hobbits and Dwarf appreciate the wine and song0 there is atravelling group of minstrels with these people, and they 'appropriated' a vast wine cellar from a towen they passed through on the way here.

"Dunlendings would only have had it all anyway," points out Kumar. "Drink as much as you like, it's a pain to carry but worth it."

One man seems to be staying away from you guys, sitting constantly in a corner and refusing to be approached. He disappears out of the room as the night goes on.

Fire
(okie I think I can still follow this was the camp we encounter on RT thursday)

I sit down have a few drinks then go and wonder around the campsite

Ushgarak
It's a cold night outside, Zeratul. And you are muchly tired, even with the Elven constituion in your blood. People nod at you as you walk past.

Dexx
Vardalain is gratefull to have this opportunity for recharging his strenghts. He eats and drinks soon before planning to emerge in his night meditation.
he finds that man especially suspicious and decides to follow his exit, to see if he finds anything.
he exits the room without telling anyone.

Fire
I say:"I'm off to bed" to myself I suppose but I don't really care
I go and find a place to sleep

narcil
yeah--sorry, i've been busy. kinda late to join in now *lol*

Fitch
Palanfirith slept the other night and he is pretty fresh.He spots Vardalain exiting the room and goes out to have a walk(or to see what Vardalain is up to).

Ushgarak
You can't seem to find that guy.

If I assume people are settling down for the night- in a barracks full of people provided for you- I need to know who is taking guard and who isn't.

If you want to ask any questions of Kumar or Grum, please do so.

Fitch
Palanfirith comes back in the barracks,because he couldn't find Vardalain and outside is chilli,and when he steps into the room he sees that nobody is standing guard.So he takes the job and let the rest sleep so they would be fresh in the morning.
(why did you introduced us Grum ?what does he has to do with us ?he has a mision? )

Ushgarak
He's a person of note that the encampment. You don't HAVE to talk to him, Mr. Snooty!

Dexx
vardalain comes back and beggins his meditation, seeing that the guard job is taken.

mah
Aranui walks into the barracks and says to PAlanfirith "If you ever want to take a break from your guarding tell me and I can take over." He then walks over to where he'll spend the night.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>