Thor vs Classic Ultron

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

basilisk
Back in the day, the classic true adamantium Ultron used to give the Avengers hell on a semi-regular basic. He would take on the entire team, Thor included, and only end up being defeated because of things like Wanda's hex affecting his molecular rearranger, or being trapped in adamantium. It was said that he didn't fear Thor, and Thor's lighting strikes and hammer blows had no real effect on him.

Even fighting as a simple brawler he was able to smash down Thor and Wonder Man together, with WM saying "he hits like Thor's hammer!"

So could Thor actually take Ultron on by himself?

1) Can he wreck Ultron with matter manipulation? I've always been a bit iffy about this ability of Thor's. I mean if he has it why didn't he use it to finish off Ultron?

2) Energy absorption via the hammer. Galactus did it to Ultron. Thor even absorbed and redirected Ultron's energy once, but he couldn't hold it for long, and had to have a fissure open in Ultron first. I guess he can't do it through Ultron's mouth like Galactus was able to.

3) Vortex removal. He tried this against Nefaria and failed. What about Ultron?

4) Any other powers that might work?

What this comes down to is could Thor really take Ultron down, and were those old battles with the Avengers just CIS/PIS?

Rage.Of.Olympus
What do you mean he smashed Thor and Wonder Man together? That implies he somehow beat them. He didn't. He just knocked them aside as they ran at him, then Wonder Man flew at him and Thor restrained him.

When did Thor fail to contain Ultron's power for long? I don't recall that, and I highly doubt that. Thor's easily contained enough power to destroy a Galaxy. What do you mean a vortex? You mean in regards to containing him or battle field removing him? Either should work fine.

Thor doesn't use his other abilities with Mjolnir because of plot. He gets a hammer toss there, a lightning bolt here against Ultron. I can count the number of times Thor's actual hit Ultron, on my hands if I tried.

The only real time Ultron has ever knocked out Thor or done actual damage to Thor, is when he first had an Adamantium body and even that has circumstances. Ultron basically gains an Adamantium body, Thor charges, Goliath says no don't attack, as there is no idea what would happen if Thor used his strength against his new body. Narrator says what will happen next, when that which will not be destroyed faces that which will not be stopped as Thor strikes Ultron and the shock wave sends Goliath flying. Next issue Vision finds Thor and Goliath down. His only actual win against Thor. And it was off panel. The second time he seemed to beat Thor, is when Thor fought Doom, Ultron, Absorbing Man, the Wrecking Crew, Titania, Doctor Octopus etc. and Ultron uses a new weapon Doom created called the a Disintegrator an energy beam which cancels the force bonding Subatomic particles together while Thor was fighting. Good showing for Thor. Like I said seemed to beat Thor. It looked like Thor was atomized by the beam as there was nothing left. Thor comes back as I recall.

I've read every single one of Adamantium Ultron's fights against Thor's and every single one Thor is almost useless. I mean utterly useless. Not because of lack of power or strength etc but the way he just doesn't do anything at all or Thor saying he cannot unleash his power besides his team mates for fear of killing them etc.

Besides that every single time, Thor either charges at him, flies at him etc. and Ultron either blasts him with some unknown weapon and knocks him off his feet with the force or throws one of his team mates at him and then Thor magically disappears for basically the entire fight. We see glimpses of him standing around or at the end of the fight completely unharmed.

Every single time, all Thor gets off against Ultron is a hammer toss or a lightning attack. Any actual time he hits him he knocks off his feet (Which isn't surprising as Thor has dented Adamantium.), or the time he fought Second Adamantium Ultron. In that fight he gets of one more hit than a hammer toss, Ultron blasts him away. Thor is missing as usual, then Thor comes in stating his head enough and simply one shots him.

My analysis? Without plot, and Thor actually fighting Ultron he would win every single time. Even against Adamantium Ultron.

basilisk
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
What do you mean he smashed Thor and Wonder Man together? That implies he somehow beat them. He didn't.
Didn't say that he beat them then and there. But still impressive that he smashed down a charge by Wonder Man and Thor together.

When did Thor fail to contain Ultron's power for long? I don't recall that, and I highly doubt that. Thor's easily contained enough power to destroy a Galaxy.
It was the time they fought him in the convent. After Wanda caused the fissure in Ultron's armor and Ultron's force field went down, Thor absorbed his energy through the fissure into his hammer. Thor had to be careful doing it, he said "the force doth rage against containment! I dare not lose control or we shall all perish". Then he said "T'is done, yet such power cannot long be held in check!" and he blasted it into space.

What do you mean a vortex? You mean in regards to containing him or battle field removing him? Either should work fine.
I was thinking of the BFR, like he tried against Nefaria where he opened the portal to another dimension and nearly sucked Nefaria in. But the containment type vortex could also be an option.

Thor doesn't use his other abilities with Mjolnir because of plot. He gets a hammer toss there, a lightning bolt here against Ultron. I can count the number of times Thor's actual hit Ultron, on my hands if I tried.

My analysis? Without plot, and Thor actually fighting Ultron he would win every single time. Even against Adamantium Ultron.

Yeah, interesting. I noticed too that all Thor does is punch, hammer, and lighting strike Ultron. None of which do any good.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by basilisk
Didn't say that he beat them then and there. But still impressive that he smashed down a charge by Wonder Man and Thor together.

He just knocked them back is all. I have no idea why neither defended themselves but Thor's written like Viking with a mallet in their fights. Meh, Thor's been knocked down by Volstagg, but's withstood planet shattering blows without even flinching. It really depends on how much Thor cares about it.

It was the time they fought him in the convent. After Wanda caused the fissure in Ultron's armor and Ultron's force field went down, Thor absorbed his energy through the fissure into his hammer. Thor had to be careful doing it, he said "the force doth rage against containment! I dare not lose control or we shall all perish". Then he said "T'is done, yet such power cannot long be held in check!" and he blasted it into space.

I know the instance you were talking about. His energy was leaking everywhere, so Thor, absorbed it, and then blasted it away. You made it seem as if he was failing or something along those lines which wouldn't happen. The first time, Thor's used any versatility against Ultron.

I was thinking of the BFR, like he tried against Nefaria where he opened the portal to another dimension and nearly sucked Nefaria in. But the containment type vortex could also be an option.

See no reason why that should work or a containment vortex.

Yeah, interesting. I noticed too that all Thor does is punch, hammer, and lighting strike Ultron. None of which do any good.

Thor doesn't even punch Ultron or hammer him except like twice. The only time his actually hit Ultron, as I recall he knocked him off his feat and sent him flying. The other time, is when he destroyed Secondary Adamantium when he was pissed. He got of a hit in before the hammer toss, but like usual was blasted away and didn't come back till the very end.

All he does is toss his hammer that bounces off, and hits him with a lightning bolt an issue here and there.

He doesn't actually do anything really.

basilisk
He just knocked them back is all. I have no idea why neither defended themselves but Thor's written like Viking with a mallet in their fights.

Yeah but it was impressive. He did hurt them, they both went "AAARGH" or something like that, and it prompted WM's comment "Good lord! Ultron hits like Thor's hammer!"

I know the instance you were talking about. His energy was leaking everywhere, so Thor, absorbed it, and then blasted it away. You made it seem as if he was failing or something along those lines which wouldn't happen.

All I said in the original post was that "he couldn't hold it for long". Which is the case. He told Pym to shut up because he had to concentrate to do it, and then said "such power cannot long be held in check!" i.e. he couldn't hold it for long. He didn't even go outside, he had to blast straight through the roof of the convent.

See no reason why that should work or a containment vortex.
I just wish he'd try it once in a while.

All he does is toss his hammer that bounces off, and hits him with a lightning bolt an issue here and there.

He doesn't actually do anything really.

I agree. I wish he would do more. He should be able to do more against Ultron.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Yeah but it was impressive. He did hurt them, they both went "AAARGH" or something like that, and it prompted WM's comment "Good lord! Ultron hits like Thor's hammer!"

Let's see him say that, when Thor hits him with enough force to dent Adamantium upside his skull.

Grunting doesn't mean much. Thor didn't even have a scratch oh him.

All I said in the original post was that "he couldn't hold it for long". Which is the case. He told Pym to shut up because he had to concentrate to do it, and then said "such power cannot long be held in check!" i.e. he couldn't hold it for long. He didn't even go outside, he had to blast straight through the roof of the convent.

Which I found confusing. Why would he need to concentrate to absorb energy? His not even absorbing it directly. It doesn't actually require any work from him as I recall except aiming Mjolnir at the source of energy and it does the rest. Yes he could apparently feel the power coursing through Mjolnir but that's about it as I recall. He can absorb the power to destroy a Galaxy on the spot, and then direct it to reignite a dead Star(s?), and so on. Why he would have problems with Ultron's power I have no clue, but oh well whatever. It's a team book and I hate those. Always down play characters.

Well that depends on your definition of long really as it's subjective. To Thor, the life's of mortals are akin to the blinks of his eyes. Hell his old enough to have witnessed worlds die, and Sun's explode. To Thor, long could be akin to say countless years. Just saying that it's subjective term.

I just wish he'd try it once in a while.

Plot won't allow it unfortunately.

I agree. I wish he would do more. He should be able to do more against Ultron.

Plot wouldn't allow him too, or you wouldn't need the Avengers.

basilisk
Well that depends on your definition of long really as it's subjective. To Thor, the life's of mortals are akin to the blinks of his eyes. Hell his old enough to have witnessed worlds die, and Sun's explode. To Thor, long could be akin to say countless years. Just saying that it's subjective term.

Then he's a jerk! He could have just walked outside and released the energy instead of blowing the roof off the convent!

laughing out loud

DarkOdin
Then he's a jerk! He could have just walked outside and released the energy instead of blowing the roof off the convent!

laughing out loud

Yes but the cool factor would not be there without some collateral damage.

SoulDevourer
is this fight without PIS?

so then Thor can just use godblast on Ultron

Rage.Of.Olympus

laughing out loud

Thor does love his theatrics. His really a long winded dude if you look at his speeches.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.