Why does an Omnipotent God need followers?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr Will Hatch
If God is real, than is a simply a source of morality and order, or is he an actual entity such as Zeus or Odin? If it is the latter, than why is He presupposing that he is the source of all morality? Does this mean that omniscience grants perfection?

King Kandy
Religion makes little sense. Somehow this thread seems to make even less. There are no less than three questions in the opening, and none are related to the title.

Lord Lucien
People like to sound deep and intelligent, so they ask a lot of "thought-provoking" questions.

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by King Kandy
Religion makes little sense. Somehow this thread seems to make even less. There are no less than three questions in the opening, and none are related to the title. Yes they are. God is supposed to be the ultimate source of morality, thus meaning that His authority is justified. If this is true, than having followers is justified.

That's the official line anyway.

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
People like to sound deep and intelligent, so they ask a lot of "thought-provoking" questions. I'm not familar with you, so I'll just let this inane comment go.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Yes they are. God is supposed to be the ultimate source of morality, thus meaning that His authority is justified. If this is true, than having followers is justified.

That's the official line anyway.
Except, the question wasn't "is it moral to seek followers". The question was WHY he needs them, an issue distinct from moral authority.

Dr Will Hatch
Except, the question wasn't "is it moral to seek followers". The question was WHY he needs them, an issue distinct from moral authority. It would all make sense if someone more coherent than I had posted this, true. laughing out loud I guess what I'm really asking is: Even if God is the source of all morality, why?

Red Nemesis
That is yet another question, related more tenuously to the title than the last!

Dr Will Hatch
laughing out loud Give the n00b an easy lashing, please! From what I can see, all the questions are related to one another logically.

Shakyamunison
An Omnipotent God does not need.

If God is real, than is a simply a source of morality and order, or is he an actual entity such as Zeus or Odin? If it is the latter, than why is He presupposing that he is the source of all morality? Does this mean that omniscience grants perfection?

Does might make right?

The idea of a god is something that humans made up. Therefore, god can be what ever you need or want.

peejayd

* first, there are things God cannot do (lying, Hebrews 6:18 and changing James 1:17), so He is not omnipotent according to the Bible... and He does not need anything from anyone (Acts 17:25)... but He wants something... He wants all people to be saved (I Timothy 2:3-4)... smile

ushomefree
God does not need followers. Where did you get this idea from? God simply wants man to live life more abundantly -- to treat others as they wish to be treated (to love one another). If such was the case, for instance, rape and theft would never occur, but man is sinful in nature, and so it happens. Life is complex due to sin; it should be simple otherwise. As Scripture teaches, God saw this in advance. Since we are not like Him. In so, He offered Himself as a ransom -- Jesus the Christ -- to die in our place (for the sins we have committed). Because of Jesus, we have a chance to have eternal life. Christianity is all about the works of Jesus, not man. In Jesus alone, we have life. Understand?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by ushomefree
God does not need followers. Where did you get this idea from? God simply wants man to live life more abundantly -- to treat others as they wish to be treated (to love one another). If such was the case, for instance, rape and theft would never occur, but man is sinful in nature, and so it happens. Life is complex due to sin; it should be simple otherwise. As Scripture teaches, God saw this in advance. Since we are not like Him. In so, He offered Himself as a ransom -- Jesus the Christ -- to die in our place (for the sins we have committed). Because of Jesus, we have a chance to have eternal life. Christianity is all about the works of Jesus, not man. In Jesus alone, we have life. Understand?

Are you sure that suffering isn't caused by humans?

gobstakid777
the answer to ur question is inconceivable to our minds.god can defy logic itself,which is why isn't bound by the large rock paradox

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by gobstakid777
the answer to ur question is inconceivable to our minds.god can defy logic itself,which is why isn't bound by the large rock paradox

Then isn't God just playing mind games with us? Why should humans spend all their time worshiping and feeling guilty when it's impossible for us to know what's right?

Phantom Zone
Except, the question wasn't "is it moral to seek followers". The question was WHY he needs them, an issue distinct from moral authority.

Yeah but some people will argue he doesn't need followers, we need God. wink

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Phantom Zone
Yeah but some people will argue he doesn't need followers, we need God. wink

...and if there was no god, then we would make one up. We humans have made a lot of gods in the past. That is a good argument for there not being a god.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
...and if there was no god, then we would make one up. We humans have made a lot of gods in the past. That is a good argument for there not being a god.

Well its not that good depends on how you look at it.

Symmetric Chaos

No, that's actually a unbelievably poor argument for there not being a god.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Phantom Zone
Well its not that good depends on how you look at it.

You would have to know more about why humans need a god. Also, remember that I am not an atheist.

Symmetric Chaos, you have no point.

Symmetric Chaos
Symmetric Chaos, you have no point.

Indeed, how dare I try to hold other to a basic standard of logic. Ridiculous.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Then you recognize that the argument you gave was totally nonsensical?

The point was made that we need god. My point was that sense we have made up untold numbers of gods, that suggests there is no god. Just because you disagree with me is not a point.

I was waiting for "I disagree and this is why..." To just come on and say you disagree, even with flair, is still not a point.

Thundar

Simply put, he doesn't. But God is Love, thus being loving..I believe he creates people for his good(righteous) pleasure. So thus being men(and pseudo creators ourselves) we should follow that same example.

One Free Man
I'm not familar with you, so I'll just let this inane comment go. Don't worry, lucien is this funny all the time.

Mindship
"He" doesn't.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
"He" doesn't.

Not even a "He". wink

Mindship
" " was the best I could do. sad

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
" " was the best I could do. sad

When it comes to God, we humans are always wrong. big grin

Mairuzu
All for love.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mairuzu
All for love.

...and love for all.

PENIS-ENVY
god loves u

WickedDynamite

To love him.

Colossus-Big C
omniposent=infinit lonelyness,
how would you like being the only thing existing?

Digi
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
omniposent=infinit lonelyness,
how would you like being the only thing existing?

Omniposent, ladies and germs. I think they make a cream for that these days.

Anyway, to answer your question, being the only thing in existence ever wouldn't be so bad. It would require context for that person to be lonely....a frame of reference. Otherwise it's all you'd ever know.

Besides, this is projecting human emotions onto the deity of all creation, which is absurd in the first place.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Digi
Omniposent, ladies and germs. I think they make a cream for that these days.

Anyway, to answer your question, being the only thing in existence ever wouldn't be so bad. It would require context for that person to be lonely....a frame of reference. Otherwise it's all you'd ever know.

Besides, this is projecting human emotions onto the deity of all creation, which is absurd in the first place. your right so basically we cant really tell the answer because were not omnipotent and have no idea how a omnipotent being even thinks...

Digi
your right so basically we cant really tell the answer because were not omnipotent and have no idea how a omnipotent being even thinks...

Pretty much. Agnosticism or vague theism is much more defensible. But when I see "one true gods" acting petulant and flawed (see also: Old Testament, Koran, etc.) our ability to worship them as infallible and omnipotent just seems silly.

Wild Shadow
pretty sure either homer simpson or chef from south park answered that question

Shakyamunison
your right so basically we cant really tell the answer because were not omnipotent and have no idea how a omnipotent being even thinks...

Also, the idea of an omnipotent god that needs is self contradicting.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
1. Why does God need followers? He doesn't.
2. Is God an actual entity such as Zeus or Odin? I don't know what this means.
3. Then why is He presupposing that He is the source of all morality? Still not sure what's going on.
4. Does this mean that omniscience grants perfection? I have no idea what's going on here.

StarCraft2
does not need. But according to Christianity, God wants to know which humans would love/follow him.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by peejayd
* first, there are things God cannot do (lying, Hebrews 6:18 and changing James 1:17), so He is not omnipotent according to the Bible... and He does not need anything from anyone (Acts 17:25)... but He wants something... He wants all people to be saved (I Timothy 2:3-4)... smile

Aristotle would give you a good firm slap.

Sappho
Then isn't God just playing mind games with us? Why should humans spend all their time worshiping and feeling guilty when it's impossible for us to know what's right?
why you guys avoid the ONLY logical answer for questions like this is beyond me.
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
Aristotle would give you a good firm slap.
lol.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Sappho
why you guys avoid the ONLY logical answer for questions like this is beyond me.

lol.

Well, tell us...

King Castle
cant b a god if u have no followers.. genis vell pointed it out to thor in a form of a question

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by King Castle
cant b a god if u have no followers.. genis vell pointed it out to thor in a form of a question

Why?

There are a lot of gods from the past that have no followers, but they are still considered to be gods. For example: Acis.

King Castle
just throwing it out there.

genis ran down a list

1. followers and faith based belief

2. power but he pointed out to thor he was more powerful then thor so did that make him a god to thor..

3. omniscience also genis said he has access to more knowledge to thor..

4. immortality but, genis stated if being long lived and immune to certain conventional death really makes one a god..

so many questions..

Shakyamunison
just throwing it out there.

genis ran down a list

1. followers and faith based belief

2. power but he pointed out to thor he was more powerful then thor so did that make him a god to thor..

3. omniscience also genis said he has access to more knowledge to thor..

4. immortality but, genis stated if being long lived and immune to certain conventional death really makes one a god..

so many questions..

The idea of a god is a place holder for things in nature that we do not understand. We still have things we don't understand, therefore, we still have the need for gods. We just call it "dark" now. cool

King Castle
i though god was now X the unknown variable?

Shakyamunison
i though god was now X the unknown variable?

Like Dark Matter, and Dark Energy.

King Castle
like the unifying theory of all things.

Shakyamunison
like the unifying theory of all things.

Ya, and there are a lot of physicists who are working on that. In a way, are they worshiping that (god)?

King Castle
what god is "that god"?

Shakyamunison
what god is "that god"?

"unifying theory of all things" I thought you were following me on this. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Sappho
Well, tell us...
he doesnt exist.

Shakyamunison
he doesnt exist.

Then why say "he"?

King Castle
semantics.. erm

Shakyamunison
semantics.. erm

No. If I said there was an invisible man in the room, then you might say "where is he?". I set up the circumstances for you to say "he". But if I said there is an invisible person in the room, then you would ask "where is this person".

There is interesting information that can be gathered by answering why a person would say "he". Most likely, it is because the person was raised as a Christian, and therefore, they are talking about a Christian god.

However, there maybe other reasons, and I am always interested in what motivates a person to say one thing over another.

jinXed by JaNx
God doesn't need followers. However, humanity (God's children need him). Out of love, God shared his gift of life and made man. The only thing he asks is that we follow his will. Kind of like how an artist wants his audience to view his masterpiece. It took him a few times to realize that following his will may be a bit much to ask for, from creatures whom possess free thought and free will. this is why he gave us his one begotten son. Now, Having had Jesus die for our sins of not following, Gods will. We have the opportunity to be forgiven and find Gods grace once again, if we so choose.

Sappho
Then why say "he"?
well i say "he" for a couple reasons, one being that its generally seen that the christian god was a man, and thats why i said it.

so next time ask yourself if you believe in any god(s) or if they even exist.

King Castle
No. If I said there was an invisible man in the room, then you might say "where is he?". I set up the circumstances for you to say "he". But if I said there is an invisible person in the room, then you would ask "where is this person".

There is interesting information that can be gathered by answering why a person would say "he". Most likely, it is because the person was raised as a Christian, and therefore, they are talking about a Christian god.

However, there maybe other reasons, and I am always interested in what motivates a person to say one thing over another. you know what happen to a supposed famous person for playin word games with ppl?

he was beaten and tortured.. something to think about next time.. erm

Shakyamunison
well i say "he" for a couple reasons, one being that its generally seen that the christian god was a man, and thats why i said it.

so next time ask yourself if you believe in any god(s) or if they even exist.

Been there and done that. If the term God is interchangeable with the term Mystic Law, then I do believe in God, but in no way is that the Christian god or any other man made god.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Yeah, yeah, we've heard it before, hippie.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Yeah, yeah, we've heard it before, hippie.

Conservative! laughing out loud

King Castle
through out history the hippie like ppl "conservatives".

tend to get squashed like bugs under the boot heel of the strong..

damn over sensitive pacifist..

sometimes they deserve what they get.

Shakyamunison
Conservative! laughing out loud

I was calling Zeal Ex Nihilo a Conservative. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Deja~vu
If that sort of god needs followers then it must be for its own ego. To believe is to make "real" to its self, if it needed that belief.

I don't need others to believe in me to make me real or to understand me. I don't need others to stroke my ego to make me feel important. I know who I am by what I am and a god would be beyound even our little thoughts of stroking and worshiping, wouldn't it?

AsbestosFlaygon
Profit

maham
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
People like to sound deep and intelligent, so they ask a lot of "thought-provoking" questions.
lol! true.

Falamu
Why does God need followers? Well, I think some people would say that it's more we need God than God needs us...

MRasheed

He doesn't. God is 100% self-sufficient and doesn't need anything. It is we who need Him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.