Dooku and the dark side...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Advent
Why did Count Dooku turn to the Sith when it was the very same Sith who just killed his apprentice? Qui-Gon was pretty much loved by Dooku like a son. He had also served the Jedi as one of the most respectable masters for decades, what made him suddenly change his mind about every thing he believed for seventy years? I realize that he disliked the way the Order was moving forward and how the government of the Republic was being run. He didn't feel like he was accomplishing anything...that's all well and fine, but did he turned to the dark side just because he thought it would accomplish something? Sidious probably promised him a way to change the galaxy and he jumped at the opportunity, but why would a lifelong Jedi trust a Sith, the epitome of lies and deceit, in the first place? It's not like his philosophy would have been tossed out the window by looking at Sidious. Possibly he thought that the dark side wouldn't corrupt him, IDK. But he turned into a cold-blooded murderer.

And why doesn't Dooku say anything when Sidious orders Anakin to kill him? Like, something along the lines of "zOMG, he's my Sith Master!". Was he too shocked by his master's words or do you think he was relying on Anakin acting like a Jedi and not killing an unarmed prisoner? Maybe he didn't think Anakin would believe him or was just too honorable (dumb)?

Autokrat
Maybe GL is just an idiot who relies overmuch on PIS?

Hewhoknowsall
Why did Jacen turn to the dark side in order to "bring peace to the galaxy through total control" when he could've tried doing the same thing while still being a jedi?

Gideon
Yeah, it's pretty retarded. The second Dooku looks at Sidious, he forgets his seven decades as a Jedi and pretty much falls in love.

Wolverine2179
Originally posted by Advent
W
And why doesn't Dooku say anything when Sidious orders Anakin to kill him? Like, something along the lines of "zOMG, he's my Sith Master!". Was he too shocked by his master's words or do you think he was relying on Anakin acting like a Jedi and not killing an unarmed prisoner? Maybe he didn't think Anakin would believe him or was just too honorable (dumb)? I have been wondering that too and i wonder what would have happened if dooku spilt the beans.

I am assuming from an in universe POV, dooku didn't do that because he is not a corward.

And for an out of universe explanation, blatant and necessary PIS.

BTW, unlike vader, maul and sidious, why does dooku and exar kun not have sith eyes?

SIDIOUS 66
Originally posted by Advent
Why did Count Dooku turn to the Sith when it was the very same Sith who just killed his apprentice? Qui-Gon was pretty much loved by Dooku like a son. Well Sidious probably explained to Dooku that it was nothing personal.

Yup, that would be my guess also. He also seen the Jedi as being lazy maybe. Yoda and the council were aware of the existence of the sith, but did nothing really.

Also, maybe he was hurt over Qui-Gon's death, and took it more personal that the Jedi went on as if nothing happened, more then he did the sith for killing him. Qui-Gon could have been any jedi that the sith killed... But Qui-Gon actually had a friendship with those on the council, and they act as if nothing had happened. They didn't try to find the other active sith lord.

Well Dooku had only been around for 70 years, and the sith had supposedly been extinct for a thousand years. Dooku had never met a sith lord. He only went by what the jedi had told him. Since Dooku started to lose trust in the jedi he probably did not know what to believe. We all know Sidious has his way of manipulated even the strongest minds. Sidious talked a really good game to Dooku. When Dooku met Sidious, it was the first time he actually came in contact with a sith, and he seen a man whose views on the galaxy were similiar to his own.

In the ROTS novel Sidious explains to Anakin that the jedi would only need one reason to arrest him, and that was for being a sith lord. They would have judged him (without knowing him) because of their philosophical differences. Sidious probably said similiar things to Dooku. Of course jedi teach their students that sith are liars. They were sworn enemies.

Maybe he and Sidious had several visits of hours of talking. I'm sure it didn't happen in one night. By the time Dooku was corrupted, he had already lost faith in the jedi and the republic.

I know a guy who had been a catholic all his life, and even served the military and fought in the Korean war. It took him a year to change his views on things. He became a Jehovah's Witness (people who are against fighting in wars or serving the military). So it's not so far fetched for Dooku.

I always wondered this as well.

Maybe he feared Sidious that much. As you said, there was a chance that Anakin followed the code and sparred an unarmed prisoner. But if Dooku turned on Sidious he would eventually have to deal with Sidious.

Red Nemesis
Them changing their behavior would pretty much countermand the Jedi code tho...

Nephthys
*shrug* Why did Harvey Dent join the Joker after he'd just killed his 'squeeze'? Because Darth Sidious is a mutha-****a.

Lord Lucien
And, because it was all... part of the plan.

Hewhoknowsall
Why didn't Dooku kill Yoda in AOTC when he disengaged Dooku in order to save Anakin/Obi Wan?

In TPM why didn't they shoot those droidekas while they were rolling towards them and still in ball mode?

Why did Obi Wan jump down to Grevious when he (Grevious) was surrounded by hundreds of droids?

mattatom
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Why didn't Dooku kill Yoda in AOTC when he disengaged Dooku in order to save Anakin/Obi Wan?

In TPM why didn't they shoot those droidekas while they were rolling towards them and still in ball mode?

Why did Obi Wan jump down to Grevious when he (Grevious) was surrounded by hundreds of droids?
He couldn't risk the plans falling into their hands and Yoda mighta dropped the pillar on him.

They're not that intelligent.

Obi Wan is a cocky shite. That or he was relying on Grievous to duel him 1 on 1 with no interruptions.

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by Autokrat
Maybe GL is just an idiot who relies overmuch on PIS?

More money=less logic.

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by mattatom
He couldn't risk the plans falling into their hands and Yoda mighta dropped the pillar on him.

They're not that intelligent.

Obi Wan is a cocky shite. That or he was relying on Grievous to duel him 1 on 1 with no interruptions.

Yoda drop a pillar on him? The pillar was quite a bit away; in the time it took for Yoda just to move it a few feet out of Anakin/Obi Wan's way Dooku could've killed him several times over.

They (Padme/security guards) aren't smart enough to shoot at their enemies? They were doing so before, and then droidekas came. They had several seconds in which the droidekas were rolling towards them, completely vulnerable.

Obi Wan is pretty smart. He should've know better, although the plan did succeed in the end.

mattatom
Yes but your forgetting in the Clone Wars TV series he smashes landing craft together, whats a pillar to him? CIS in the film.

Well maybe they were worried about their lives, accuracy letting them down, PIS/CIS?

He's a suave shite.

SIDIOUS 66
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall

Lol...

Why do you complain when someone goes off topic in your threads when you do the same thing in other threads?

Slash_KMC
Actually was on topic, he was just giving lousy examples. There are waaay better examples, it's 2009 Star Wars after all.

truejedi
Here is a reason, Read Chapter 7 of ROTS, Pg.s, 119-124. If you don't think Kenobi is a little more Bad-A than you thought before, I don't know what to do for you.

Advent
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
Actually was on topic.

I'm sorry, but no, it wasn't. Not at all. The topic is Dooku and why he fell to the dark side. If you aren't interested in discussing why, then GTFO - plain & simple. He was off-topic. It doesn't matter if there's no answer defined in canon or if it's PIS. The fact of the matter is, there can be an in-universe explanation and that's what we're here to speculate* on. I don't care if people bring up other scenarios, as long as they aren't being dismissive ass clowns.

truejedi
My bad on my post Advent, I actually didn't read the start of the thread, just replied to the later posts.

An idea of why Dooku fell to the dark side: he realized that the Republic was corrupt. He joined with Sidious in order to bring down the Republic, his arrogance leading him to believe he could remove Sidious from the picture personally after the fall of the Republic, and that the Jedi, himself included ,could dictate to everyone what to do in order to bring peace to everyone.

(Much like C'baoth, and Caedus)

Advent
I don't mind your post at all, True Jedi. Like I said, I'm not against bringing up other scenarios that may not have an immediate or obvious explanation. But HWKA was clearly going for the 'it's PIS so I'm not even going to think about it ' post rather than doing the former.

Gideon
The official explanation is that Darth Sidious did quite a number on Dooku's psychological state.

Numerous sources, IIRC, suggest or outright state that Dooku was a "disciple" of Sidious perhaps even prior to the death of Darth Maul. Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, Labyrinth of Evil, and the Revenge of the Sith novelization all establish a continuity regarding Dooku: he regards his Master with a mixture of fear firmly within the realm of terror, awe that borders on deifying, and a deep respect.

How he got to this point is a mystery, but I'm sure a rational explanation for Dooku's conversion doesn't exist. Mind control?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.