Thor (Classic) vs Hal Jordan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Starscream M
Who wins?

SoulDevourer
lol
Hal
spite

batdude123
It's not spite.

Hal ftw.

Naija boy
Thor.

The Nuul
Current Hal?

Slaanesh
Hal..

kgkg
Ahh I haven't posted this in so long.

For old times.
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6463/thork.th.jpg

On a serious note Thor 6/10. Greater power output and ability to absorb vast amount of energy give him a minor edge.

The Nuul
Thor

Raptor22
close fight but thor wins.

Warlord
Thor drains the ring's energy ftw

Slaanesh
i don't think Thor can just drain the ring's energy..

Warlord
Why not?

he can drain energies from suns and planets. He did it to the Presence.

Why not the ring?

Even if he can't suck it dry, he can lower the power supply

thanos-prime
Thor

Prep-Man
If it's CLASSIC Hal vs CLASSIC Thor, Hal wins. He has too many insane feats. Thor does, too, but Hal has it on a greater degree.

Now if it's CURRENT Hal vs Classic Thor, I'd give Thor a small majority.

Mindship
Thor. As dependent as he is on his hammer for so much of his abilities, he's still a superphysical being, a god, without it. Hal is even more dependent on his ring, and w/o it he's just a man. Also, magic > oan energy (magic = ultimate plot device).

Overall a good/close fight, tho'.

Juntai
Originally posted by Mindship
Thor. As dependent as he is on his hammer for so much of his abilities, he's still a superphysical being, a god, without it. Hal is even more dependent on his ring, and w/o it he's just a man. Also, magic > oan energy (magic = ultimate plot device).

Overall a good/close fight, tho'. The ring is equally as much of a plot device as magic in it's showings. It does ANYTHING he wills it.

Mindship
Originally posted by Juntai
The ring is equally as much of a plot device as magic in it's showings. It does ANYTHING he wills it. Yeah, I can't really argue with that. I guess the thing that always balanced it out for me was that the ring had to be recharged, it had definite limits in that vein.

DarkOdin

I woula agree and take it a step further. THe Hammer can absorb the energy of anything Hal use on Thor from energy blast to contructs even forcefields. Plus the ring would run out of juice on top of that.

Juntai
Yeah, I can't really argue with that. I guess the thing that always balanced it out for me was that the ring had to be recharged, it had definite limits in that vein. Most casters in this class have a limit before they burn out too. Does Thor? I dunno, I can't recall him whipping out powerful spell after spell after spell in rapid succession either. Usually he starts his uru tenderizer first.

Prep-Man

Ever heard of Wotan? High end mage that Hal has done well with. Among many others. Magic doesn't mean anything.

Mindship
Most casters in this class have a limit before they burn out too. Does Thor? I dunno, I can't recall him whipping out powerful spell after spell after spell in rapid succession either. Usually he starts his uru tenderizer first. laughing out loud
But even if the ring and hammer are equal in power (for argument's sake), I still see godly physiology giving Thor the edge. Ie, ring and hammer cancel each other out; it comes down to man vs god.

Originally posted by Prep-Man
Ever heard of Wotan? High end mage that Hal has done well with. Among many others. Magic doesn't mean anything. I know virtually nothing about Wotan...though "has done well with" doesn't sound like "defeated."

Kris Blaze
Thor 6/10

Most casters in this class have a limit before they burn out too. Does Thor? I dunno, I can't recall him whipping out powerful spell after spell after spell in rapid succession either. Usually he starts his uru tenderizer first.

Thor's fought months in a row though.

Starscream M
laughing out loud
But even if the ring and hammer are equal in power (for argument's sake), I still see godly physiology giving Thor the edge. Ie, ring and hammer cancel each other out; it comes down to man vs god.
but that's a false premise: that ring = hammer

the ring is far more versatile than the hammer...hence it turns mere humans into high-level heralds. the hammer makes thor (who is pretty much base herald level without it to top tier herald)

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Starscream M

the ring is far more versatile than the hammer...hence it turns mere humans into high-level heralds. the hammer makes thor (who is pretty much base herald level without it to top tier herald)

But the ring also turned Donald Blake into Thor no expression

Starscream M
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
But the ring also turned Donald Blake into Thor no expression you mean the hammer right?

wasn't the blake version of thor weaker than the real thor?

also, isn't it more Odin's enchantment as opposed to the hammer that gave blake the power?

Kris Blaze
wasn't the blake version of thor weaker than the real thor?

also, isn't it more Odin's enchantment as opposed to the hammer that gave blake the power?

Not weaker. Which also happened to be the case when Deadpool picked up the hammer. This is what happens when someone on earth wields the hammer. In space, asgard and so on, Thor is always Thor.

It's difficult to explain though, in some ways, Jake Olson never existed.

Mindship

the ring is far more versatile than the hammer...
I was thinking in terms of sheer power output, or perhaps a balance between the greater versatility of the ring and the greater wattage of the hammer. Basically, since the ring vs hammer could be argued either way, I figured (again, just for argument's sake) that if the two canceled each other out, so to speak, then it comes down to the innate power of the wielders, in which case Thor (being a god) is the superior being.

xJLxKing
Thor wins more often then not. He wins this mainly because of being able to absorb attacks. This give him an advantage. So Thor 6/10

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by xJLxKing
Thor wins more often then not. He wins this mainly because of being able to absorb attacks. This give him an advantage. So Thor 6/10

That's part of the reason why I gave Thor the win as well. Hal can also redirect attacks and so on, but once he spends his energy it's gone.

batdude123
Smh...

The most versatile object in all of comicdom, and all people think Hal can do is blast energy.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by batdude123
Smh...

The most versatile object in all of comicdom, and all people think Hal can do is blast energy.

Yeah, he can make giant hammers and such!

Thor takes home both strongest defence and power output, as well as stamina and experience.

Naija boy

the ring is far more versatile than the hammer...

The ring is NOT far more versatile than hammer. If it is at all (which is highly debatable) it certainly isnt by much.

batdude123
Yeah, he can make giant hammers and such!

Thor takes home both strongest defence and power output, as well as stamina and experience.

facepalm

batdude123
Originally posted by Naija boy
The ring is NOT far more versatile than hammer.

facepalm

Naija boy

u think the ring is far more versatile than thors hammer? thats what deserves a facepalm

batdude123
u think the ring is far more versatile than thors hammer? thats what deserves a facepalm

K. laughing out loud

Kris Blaze
There's no more or less versatile.

Thor's hammer performs freaking magic and Hal's ring can do whatever he imagines.

Naija boy
K. laughing out loud

.....yeah.

batdude123
.....yeah.

baka

The Nuul

thumb up

Starscream M

Thor's hammer performs freaking magic and Hal's ring can do whatever he imagines. thor's hammer has limited functions of magic...it's not like he could create a rabbit out of thin air like Dr. Strange type of magic.

I would say Thor's hammer, in specific attributes (energy absorption) is more powerful than the ring, but the ring is far more versatile.

Rage.Of.Olympus
How the hell is a Green Lantern ring far more versatile than Mjolnir?

It can create energy constructs with the accuracy Mjolnir cannot, but at the same time Mjolnir has shown abilities that a Green Lantern Ring has not and/or abilities on a different scale, as far as I recall.

Kris Blaze
thor's hammer has limited functions of magic...it's not like he could create a rabbit out of thin air like Dr. Strange type of magic.

I would say Thor's hammer, in specific attributes (energy absorption) is more powerful than the ring, but the ring is far more versatile.

- It can transmute things. So it works just like matter manipulation, which is virtually unlimited, aside from the fact that it cannot create things. But he can still create energy, of which there is plenty to do. So because the ring can create giant anvils and rams, and it's not more versatile.

Naija boy
baka

smile

batdude123
smile

thorinn

The Nuul
smile

smile

The Nuul
thorinn

no expression

batdude123
Originally posted by The Nuul
no expression

ermmnone

Rage.Of.Olympus
whathefuk

Naija boy
thorinn

no2

Prep-Man
laughing out loud

I know virtually nothing about Wotan...though "has done well with" doesn't sound like "defeated."

Sorry, I meant he's defeated. He even trapped a mage inside his OWN ring and actually used intelligence. But this was a PC feat.

Rage.Of.Olympus
fu

batdude123
no2

1pimpslap

Rage.Of.Olympus
131wank

batdude123
herbwank

Rage.Of.Olympus
stoned

Naija boy
1pimpslap

spam_laser

batdude123
spam_laser

Rage.Of.Olympus
^That's just gay.

Naija boy

sick

batdude123
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
^That's just gay.

awesome

Rage.Of.Olympus
smurph

batdude123
ha-som

Rage.Of.Olympus
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/b.gif

batdude123
You stole my smiley. uhuh

Rage.Of.Olympus
bastardinside23

batdude123
peaches

Rage.Of.Olympus
bashful

Kris Blaze
Sorry, I meant he's defeated. He even trapped a mage inside his OWN ring and actually used intelligence. But this was a PC feat.

PC feats are fine for Green Lanterns imo.

Regardless, Demogorge wasn't able to keep Thor inside of him, and he's devoured plenty of elder gods. So there's reason to believe that absorbing Thor into any kind of structure or being, is not likely to work.

Prep-Man
PC feats are fine for Green Lanterns imo.

Regardless, Demogorge wasn't able to keep Thor inside of him, and he's devoured plenty of elder gods. So there's reason to believe that absorbing Thor into any kind of structure or being, is not likely to work.

Oh, I'm not saying it would work on Thor (It very well could, though) or even that I'm counting those PC feats (which aren't in continuity), but, IMO, just saying, "Magic=win" isn't the case for Hal in his earlier appearances. If we do count it, though, Hal is every bit as versatile as the big players in Marvel. Thor, Surfer, etc...

Kris Blaze
Oh, I'm not saying it would work on Thor (It very well could, though) or even that I'm counting those PC feats (which aren't in continuity), but, IMO, just saying, "Magic=win" isn't the case for Hal in his earlier appearances. If we do count it, though, Hal is every bit as versatile as the big players in Marvel. Thor, Surfer, etc...

Magic isn't an instant win against anyone, I'm not sure who made that claim.

Regardless, I didn't know that the Green Lanterns were affected by the crisis? I know that the Guardians weren't.

batdude123
Regardless, I didn't know that the Green Lanterns were affected by the crisis?

They weren't.

Kris Blaze
They weren't.

So PC feats are just fine.

batdude123

Yes.

Juntai
Yeah, they're putting a lot of PC stories back into continuity for other heros, but Green Lantern's continuity carried straight through. It's pretty much the only one I can think of. smile

Mindship

Thor's hammer performs freaking magic and Hal's ring can do whatever he imagines.
There is apparently no clear-cut winner as to which weapon is more "powerful." But it is clear about their wielders. Hal is a man. Thor is a god. All else being equal, Thor wins.

Juntai
Yeah, when you strip away the hammer and the ring that's what you get.
However, in the battle, Hal is wearing the ring, and he's hardly a regular man wearing it, even without a visible shield or force-field up, a ring-weilder has been shown to be able to take class 100 blows.

improved strength, durability, speed and reaction, to top tier levels pretty much.

batdude123
There is apparently no clear-cut winner as to which weapon is more "powerful." But it is clear about their wielders. Hal is a man. Thor is a god. All else being equal, Thor wins.

Oversimplification.

Juntai
As people have tried to point on several occasions, the hammer is more of a conduit for Thor, it's just a tool. He can perform most if not all of his stuff without it. The boost Hal gets from the ring takes a man, and moves him directly to that 'godlike' level.

darthgoober
They might be in continuity, but I think there's still a big difference between Pre and Post Crisis GL's. All of Wonder Man's old feats are still in continuity too which means that he should technically equal/exceed Thor in strength, but I seriously doubt that anyone considers that to be the case in regards to his current character.

Rage.Of.Olympus
When has Wonder Man shown to be equal or exceed Thor?

Even back in the day, I seem to recall that it seemed Wonder Man might be near Thor level. But exceed?

I should re-read those Old Avenger's issues.

batdude123
Originally posted by darthgoober
They might be in continuity, but I think there's still a big difference between Pre and Post Crisis GL's. All of Wonder Man's old feats are still in continuity too which means that he should technically equal/exceed Thor in strength, but I seriously doubt that anyone considers that to be the case in regards to his current character.

Which is funny, because a lot of Thor's feats that people use in the vs. forum take place 30+ years ago.

Rage.Of.Olympus
That's because Thor hasn't been shown to be on different level than he was 30 years ago, and the Marvel Universe wasn't rebooted.

batdude123
That's because Thor hasn't been shown to be on different level than he was 30 years ago, and the Marvel Universe wasn't rebooted.

What a coincidence, considering Post Crisis GL feats are on the same level as Pre Crisis ones, and GL continuity hasn't been rebooted either.

darthgoober
When has Wonder Man shown to be equal or exceed Thor?

Even back in the day, I seem to recall that it seemed Wonder Man might be near Thor level. But exceed?

I should re-read those Old Avenger's issues.
When Thor and Wonder Man fought for the Grandmaster and Mistress Death WM got the better of him H2H(but was then put down by the hammer). In a later fight with Arkon, Arkon said that WM was hitting even harder than Thor and WM thought something to the effect of "I knew I was stronger last time we fought"(in regards to the Grandmaster/Death fight). Then in the 90's around the time of the Infinity Crusade, his power started fluctuating with his peaks being higher than they ever were previously and when his powers stabilized it was said that he was even stronger than those power surges he'd been going through. Then his strength was supposedly upgraded again during his "ionic form" and it may have even gotten upgraded again after his control got better(I'm a bit fuzzy on that period though).

That's why I hate reading Wonder Man anymore, everytime he get's an "upgrade" he still ends up being less powerful than he was previously.

-Pr-
What a coincidence, considering Post Crisis GL feats are on the same level as Pre Crisis ones, and GL continuity hasn't been rebooted either.

thumb up

Rage.Of.Olympus

Post Crisis Green Lantern's seemed to be written at a level lower than their Pre-Crisis counterparts.

I know that apparently the Green Lantern's were not affected by the change. NEver said they were.

darthgoober
Which is funny, because a lot of Thor's feats that people use in the vs. forum take place 30+ years ago.
Thor still pulls off the same kinds of feats. If GL does the same then that's fine, but I've seen people point out that some Pre Crisis GL feats have no real parallel in more recent years. I'm not saying those people are right mind you, I'm just pointing out what lots of people say.

Starscream M
Post Crisis Green Lantern's seemed to be written at a level lower than their Pre-Crisis counterparts.
same could be said of thor

Prep-Man

I know that apparently the Green Lantern's were not affected by the change. NEver said they were.

I agree. Hal back in the day rarely had trouble from absorption attacks and the like. Now it seems that a lot of people could absorb the rings easily and that goes for all Lanterns.

Even back in the day, Hal was able to restrain Pre-Crisis Superman. Plus had a lot of other exotic abilities that I don't see Hal doing currently.

Starscream M
Thor still pulls off the same kinds of feats. when's the last time thor's done a feat close to lifting the midgard serpent?

batdude123

Thor still pulls off the same kinds of feats. If GL does the same then that's fine, but I've seen people point out that some Pre Crisis GL feats have no real parallel in more recent years. I'm not saying those people are right mind you, I'm just pointing out what lots of people say.

Some of the best GL feats have happened Post Crisis.

If Thor still pulls off the "same type of feats," then why are people exclusively using his old school feats to justify their arguments?

I'm just saying, you can't be using these double standards.

Starscream M
I'd like to hear of some of thor's impressive feats in the past 2 decades.

Prep-Man
Probably like when Hal Jordan created his own universe inside the ring.

darthgoober
when's the last time thor's done a feat close to lifting the midgard serpent?
I said the same KINDS of feats, and Thor still pulls off strength feats. He's also still regarded as an equal to guys like Herc, who have LOTS of strength feats to their credit.

Starscream M
I said the same KINDS of feats, and Thor still pulls off strength feats. He's also still regarded as an equal to guys like Herc, who have LOTS of strength feats to their credit. ok...gimme one strength feat of thor's from the past 2 decades

darthgoober
Some of the best GL feats have happened Post Crisis.

If Thor still pulls off the "same type of feats," then why are people exclusively using his old school feats to justify their arguments?

I'm just saying, you can't be using these double standards.
I'm not using a double standard, like I said I'm not even saying those people are right.

darthgoober
ok...gimme one strength feat of thor's from the past 2 decades
Do you honestly think that Thor hasn't pulled off a single strength feat in the past 20 years?

Naija boy
World engine feat happened in the 90s iirc.

Rage.Of.Olympus
When Thor and Wonder Man fought for the Grandmaster and Mistress Death WM got the better of him H2H(but was then put down by the hammer). In a later fight with Arkon, Arkon said that WM was hitting even harder than Thor and WM thought something to the effect of "I knew I was stronger last time we fought"(in regards to the Grandmaster/Death fight). Then in the 90's around the time of the Infinity Crusade, his power started fluctuating with his peaks being higher than they ever were previously and when his powers stabilized it was said that he was even stronger than those power surges he'd been going through. Then his strength was supposedly upgraded again during his "ionic form" and it may have even gotten upgraded again after his control got better(I'm a bit fuzzy on that period though).

That's why I hate reading Wonder Man anymore, everytime he get's an "upgrade" he still ends up being less powerful than he was previously.

Edge? Thor attacks Wonder Man, and is matching his strength with a single arm. He then pins Wonder Man down. Wonder Man, then throws him off and hits him twice. Thor is unharmed, and takes him out with Mjolnir. That doesn't prove him to exceed Thor. It's been made pretty clear, that Thor is above Wonder Man.

Arkon the Magnificent from the Avenger's appearance? And Arkon knows how much strength truly has and how hard Thor truly hits right? Plus All he said, was that never have I felt such a blow, not even from the Mighty Thor.

Wonder Man said, he felt that he was stronger Thor? I recall something like that, and I'll take your word for it, as it's been awhile. If we go by Wonder Man's statements, then Thor is on another level than he is. His admitted it plenty of times. Even back in the day.

Shit if we go by Wonder Man statements, Thor can shrug off blows by someone who apparently hits as hard/harder than Count Nefaria.

I remember once Wonder Man's I believe said his fist can hit as hard as Thor's hammer simply because he turned a gravel rock to pieces easily. Not disrespecting Wonder Man, but it seemed pretty much evident that Thor is his superior a great deal of time.

Apparently he was getting stronger as time went on apparently. It first it seemed alright but then in the last few years, he clearly has been written weaker.

Wonder Man really needs more respect especially currently. His one underrated character.

Starscream M
Do you honestly think that Thor hasn't pulled off a single strength feat in the past 20 years? I never said that. I just want to see what kind of impressive strength feats he's had in the past 2 decades.

Prep-Man
Heaven's Ladder, but ID says it's not one of Kyle's best, so...

Rage.Of.Olympus

World Engine. Easily one of his greatest. He was also weakened.

the Darkone
Thor
6/10

Prep-Man
Yes.

So you would count Hal holding his own with PC Superman?

Mindship
Yeah, when you strip away the hammer and the ring that's what you get.
However, in the battle, Hal is wearing the ring, and he's hardly a regular man wearing it, even without a visible shield or force-field up, a ring-weilder has been shown to be able to take class 100 blows.

improved strength, durability, speed and reaction, to top tier levels pretty much. I don't doubt that for a second.

Oversimplification. But not necessarily invalid.

--------------------------------

Sure, I can see this going either way, but more and more I'm seeing this contest as one of stamina. Even if the ring can fend off attacks from Mjolnir and launch attacks--all this would use up mucho oan energy--would there still be enough to amp Hal to stay the course going h2h with Thor? Or will Thor tire first?

I am inclined to give the god his due.

Juntai
I don't doubt that for a second.

But not necessarily invalid.

--------------------------------

Sure, I can see this going either way, but more and more I'm seeing this contest as one of stamina. Even if the ring can fend off attacks from Mjolnir and launch attacks--all this would use up mucho oan energy--would there still be enough to amp Hal to stay the course going h2h with Thor? Or will Thor tire first?

I am inclined to give the god his due. Fair enough.

Prep-Man
Stamina won't necessarily be a problem. Hal can just recharge the ring on a whim.

Prep-Man
BTW, here is Hal Jordan facing off against Shaggy Man for an hour. The same Shaggy Man that evolved from Hal's SHRINKING attack. Basically the original Doomsday. Hal has also been able to get more energy and power from the OAN Battery itself.

http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Desaad/Hal%20Jordan/Hal%20Jordan2/JLA_186-17.jpg

kgkg
These matches won't last hours. So energy depletion is a mute point. Unless people are making the claiming that Thor absorbs energy out of the Hal.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.