What is the year 2012 Mayan prophecy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ushomefree

Symmetric Chaos
Oh, well so long as there is no Biblical evidence I feel much safer.

Shakyamunison
No one can see into the future. All prophesies are false.

Mandrag Ganon
Originally posted by Shakyamunison

Yes, no human... We can see into the past though...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mandrag Ganon
Yes, no human... We can see into the past though...

Really? I don't think we can see into the past. We can remember something, but we are just replaying stored patterns in our brain. We can also look at evidence that is existing now, but seeing into the past is completely different.

Mandrag Ganon
Really? I don't think we can see into the past. We can remember something, but we are just replaying stored patterns in our brain. We can also look at evidence that is existing now, but seeing into the past is completely different.

You can scientificly see into the past. For example, if you went X lightyears away from earth (I don't know the exact math) and looked back with a massively powerful microscope you would see me sitting here typing this very thing even though it is truly years after I typed this.

Shakyamunison
You can scientificly see into the past. For example, if you went X lightyears away from earth (I don't know the exact math) and looked back with a massively powerful microscope you would see me sitting here typing this very thing even though it is truly years after I typed this.
When you look into space you see light that left it's star millions of years ago, but you are seeing that ancient light now. You are not really seeing into the past.

Mandrag Ganon
When you look into space you see light that left it's star millions of years ago, but you are seeing that ancient light now. You are not really seeing into the past.

True, but you are still seeing events that happened years previously.

Shakyamunison
True, but you are still seeing events that happened years previously.

Just like watching a movie. wink

Symmetric Chaos

We can still make reasonable assumptions about the future.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

That is true, and we can ever, predict events in controlled settings, but we all know that is completely different. wink

King Kandy
What is this thread supposed to prove? That christians shouldn't believe in 2012? Because it certainly offers no real contradiction other than "the bible doesn't say so".

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by King Kandy
What is this thread supposed to prove? That christians shouldn't believe in 2012? Because it certainly offers no real contradiction other than "the bible doesn't say so".

Ya, but we are quickly tuning it into a "can we look into the future" thread. laughing

Mandrag Ganon
That is true, and we can ever, predict events in controlled settings, but we all know that is completely different. wink

True. smile

Digi

reasonable assumptions aren't prophecies. I'll cosign Shakya on his earlier statement.

Shakyamunison
True. smile

Oh, don't give up already. laughing out loud

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Digi
reasonable assumptions aren't prophecies. I'll cosign Shakya on his earlier statement.

True. But an unreasonable assumption can still turn out to be true, it should just happen with less regularity. A prophecy isn't automatically untrue but most are vague enough to be meaningless anyway.

Mandrag Ganon
Oh, don't give up already. laughing out loud

What? I can't argue with that. I'm not going to say that prophecies absolutely can't exist, but I also can't prove that they aboslutely do. Personal belief is irrelevent in such arguments.

It's a thread stating a belief as absolute fact using a book that may or may not be the absolute truth as the only evidence for his belief. Whether he is right or wrong in what he says is irrelevent, he has given no undenyable proof for his belief as to why 2012 will not be the end of the world... Infact the only proof is given is the easiest to deny since he is using a book that, once again, may or may not be the absolute truth.

Digi
True. But an unreasonable assumption can still turn out to be true, it should just happen with less regularity. A prophecy isn't automatically untrue but most are vague enough to be meaningless anyway.

Well, sure, we'd need to qualify it. A prophecy might come true, but it's by chance, not because of some prophetic foresight. But prophecies aren't true in that they aren't actual prophecy, they're blind guesses.

Mandrag Ganon

Which is why events Nostradamus prophecied continue to happen time and time again.

Well, sure, we'd need to qualify it. A prophecy might come true, but it's by chance, not because of some prophetic foresight. But prophecies aren't true in that they aren't actual prophecy, they're blind guesses.

I'd say educated guesses. Most prophecies are worded in ways that they will happen eventually, and probably several times afterward. Not because of any kind of devine insite, but because odds favored an event like that happening in the infinite span of the future.

inimalist
A prophecy might come true, but it's by chance, not because of some prophetic foresight.

proving the negative now, are we?

Prophets aren't real, what they predict doesn't come true. But if it does...

wink

also, I don't think prophets ever claimed to be the cause of such events

Digi
Originally posted by inimalist
proving the negative now, are we?

Prophets aren't real, what they predict doesn't come true. But if it does...

wink

also, I don't think prophets ever claimed to be the cause of such events

laughing out loud quiet you. you know we're in agreement, but choose to play the semantic devil's advocate.

miffed

inimalist
nitpicking is my day job

Shakyamunison
There is also the element of Post-Diction that must be taken into consideration when determining the validity of prophecy.

jinXed by JaNx
I'm excited to see what the next Doomsday date will be after 2012 comes and goes.

siriuswriter
prophecies are like horoscopes. if you're determined enough, you can twist them around to mean anything.

it's very nice that the mayan had such a developed astrology system and mathematic system. but nobody should get all 'y2k' about december 21, 2012. remember how silly those people ended up feeling... they're probably still eating those canned goods.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by siriuswriter
prophecies are like horoscopes. if you're determined enough, you can twist them around to mean anything.

it's very nice that the mayan had such a developed astrology system and mathematic system. but nobody should get all 'y2k' about december 21, 2012. remember how silly those people ended up feeling... they're probably still eating those canned goods.

The Mayan's didn't have astrology at all, but they were great astronomers.

jaden101
Originally posted by siriuswriter

Very good point. I had the same discussion with Nuclear Winter in the conspiracy forum when he took umbridge to the fact that deep within one of his massively long posts he used a Nostradamus prediction to try and say that sometime before the end of this decade a huge disaster was going to occur but he actually deliberately missed out the line from the prediction that gave a specific date being in 1999.

He continually claimed that it didn't mean 1999 when it literally translated from French into "the 7th month of the year 1999".

He simply wouldn't back down on the point. Making all his other postings seem equally as tainted.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by jaden101
Very good point. I had the same discussion with Nuclear Winter in the conspiracy forum when he took umbridge to the fact that deep within one of his massively long posts he used a Nostradamus prediction to try and say that sometime before the end of this decade a huge disaster was going to occur but he actually deliberately missed out the line from the prediction that gave a specific date being in 1999.

He continually claimed that it didn't mean 1999 when it literally translated from French into "the 7th month of the year 1999".

He simply wouldn't back down on the point. Making all his other postings seem equally as tainted.

exactly. i watched the much-played 'nostradamus effect' on the history channel the other day, and the quatrains they attributed to both 9/11 and 'the end of the world' i saw could also be describing, respectively, the black plague and hurricane katrina

however, since people want to know the answers to the great mysteries - just like people want to know when that tall dark handsome stranger is going to appear, they'll use whatever material they can grasp at to point to the wanted meaning.

i suppose this post will make me unpopular with any conspiracy theorists. ah, well. i'll mourn and move on.

scampett94
I go to church every sunday and the bible says nothing about the end of the world

Colossus-Big C
I dont know to much about the mayans but did they believe in god?
if they didnt than this is not religious...

Colossus-Big C
Oh, well so long as there is no Biblical evidence I feel much safer. thumb up

Colossus-Big C
No one can see into the future. All prophesies are false. how about the people who predicted 911?
this one guy said something like.

"3 birds will fly to a building and it will crumble" before it even happened

Colossus-Big C
No one can see into the future. All prophesies are false. IMO yes they can, but i have no way to back this up

Ordo
You just made 4 pots in 5 minutes. IN A ROW. Thats just rude.

There is an edit button. Use it.

Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
I dont know to much about the mayans but did they believe in god?
if they didnt than this is not religious...

They believed in the real gods.

how about the people who predicted 911?

...but thats not what happened.

IMO yes they can, but i have no way to back this up

I have no reason, I just do!

Shakyamunison

That is not prediction. That is postdiction.

IMO yes they can, but i have no way to back this up

Some people believe in unicorns, and Santa Clause. Those belief make it true?

Ordo
Some people believe in unicorns, and Santa Clause. Those belief make it true?

No. Because its their opinion not mine. DUH.

Colossus-Big C
That is not prediction. That is postdiction.

Some people believe in unicorns, and Santa Clause. Those belief make it true? some people dont believe in god does that make it true?

Shakyamunison
some people dont believe in god does that make it true?

Your logic is cercular. Beliefs only make something true in the mind of the believer. This is a delution. Someone can believe that a bullit will not kill them, and if they believe it enough, they will act like bullits cannot hurt them. However, that does not mean they can survive the impact of a bullit.

King Kandy

Postdiction.

Symmetric Chaos
Postdiction.

Not even.

Shakyamunison
Not even.

Explain!

Colossus-Big C
Not even. thumb up

Symmetric Chaos
Explain!

On 9/11 three buildings were destroyed by one plane each. That's "clearly" one building destroyed by three planes.

Ordo
On 9/11 three buildings were destroyed by one plane each. That's "clearly" one building destroyed by three planes.

Incorrect. On 9-11, 7 buildings were destroyed (2 directly and 5 indirectly) and 1 damaged....by 3 planes.

And since when does plane = bird?
And since when does "a building" = 8?

Fail.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Ordo
Incorrect. On 9-11, 7 buildings were destroyed (2 directly and 5 indirectly) and 1 damaged....by 3 planes.

And since when does plane = bird?
And since when does "a building" = 8?

Fail.

That was basically my point. It doesn't even reach the level of post-diction since the way it's being read doesn't describe what it's supposedly prophesying at all.

Colossus-Big C
That was basically my point. It doesn't even reach the level of post-diction since the way it's being read doesn't describe what it's supposedly prophesying at all. thumb up lol with him saying fail when he failed to miss the point laughing

Ordo
That was basically my point. It doesn't even reach the level of post-diction since the way it's being read doesn't describe what it's supposedly prophesying at all.

I did miss your point, but they fact that *ahem* certain rocks are trying to bend it into a prophecy....its being used as a postdiction.

thumb up lol with him saying fail when he failed to miss the point laughing

Oh the irony...

may I remind you of this post?

thumb up

Thats right. I may be an idiot, but at least I'm ignorant of my own hypocrisy.

Shakyamunison

I see, you were not saying that it was a true prophacy, but that it doesn't even meat the standard of postdiction.

The amasing thing about postdiction is, it has no standard.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.