Atheism is not a worldview

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Admiral Akbar
Can atheism be classified as a conclusion about ultimate reality derived from a worldview or some other other source? Or is it the opposite? Atheism being neither a worldview or a conclusion.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
Can atheism be classified as a conclusion about ultimate reality derived from a worldview or some other other source? Or is it the opposite? Atheism being neither a worldview or a conclusion.

I think it is both. There are people who actively disbelieve a particular religious point of view about a god, and there are people who do not know or care.

Symmetric Chaos

Atheism is generally a conclusion about reality. I'm not sure what you mean by "ultimate reality", though.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Atheism is generally a conclusion about reality. I'm not sure what you mean by "ultimate reality", though.

Same thing pretty much.

Why is it a conclusion of reality? I got the impression that all it does it discredit other conclusions.

Symmetric Chaos
Same thing pretty much.

Why is it a conclusion of reality? I got the impression that all it does it discredit other conclusions.

Atheism is the conclusion that there is no God. It can be either a positive or negative claim.

First you ask the question "is there a God?"
Second you look for a reason to believe or not.
Third you make a conclusion. A theist makes the conclusion "there is reason to believe there is a God" the atheist makes the conclusion that "there is no reason to believe there is a God".

Shakyamunison
Atheism is the conclusion that there is no God. It can be either a positive or negative claim.

First you ask the question "is there a God?"
Second you look for a reason to believe or not.
Third you make a conclusion. A theist makes the conclusion "there is reason to believe there is a God" the atheist makes the conclusion that "there is no reason to believe there is a God".

However, it has been pointed out to me, that the definition of atheism includes people who have never been exposed to the concept of a god.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
However, it has been pointed out to me, that the definition of atheism includes people who have never been exposed to the concept of a god.

True, but that's uncommon enough to disregard when generalizing especially about the western world.

Digi

What?!

A theist makes the conclusion "there is reason to believe there is a God" the atheist makes the conclusion that "there is no reason to believe there is a God".

I'll cosign this because it seems to answer something resembling the thread starter's question.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Digi
What?!

I'll cosign this because it seems to answer something resembling the thread starter's question.

In my defense, this isn't my question. Someone on youtube posed the question I just copied and pasted it in a thread to get a response. The question was confusing I just wanted some clarity. You can close the thread if you want.

Digi
In my defense, this isn't my question. Someone on youtube posed the question I just copied and pasted it in a thread to get a response. The question was confusing I just wanted some clarity. You can close the thread if you want.

No worries. But yeah, it's a bit confusing. But you should've been tipped off by this:

Someone on youtube...

There's not a scenario in existence where that phrase ends well.

wink

Bardock42
Someone on youtube...gave me a million dollars.

Shakyamunison
No worries. But yeah, it's a bit confusing. But you should've been tipped off by this:

There's not a scenario in existence where that phrase ends well.

wink

Hey! I have a video on YouTube. sad laughing out loud

Ordo

It vaguely depends on whether atheism is "There is no god" or "There is no reason to assume a god"

AngryManatee

It's kind of like ultimate fighting except not quite as x-treme

Digi
Originally posted by Bardock42
Someone on youtube...gave me a million dollars.

Clearly false. People just think they're entitled to millions of dollars because their sh*tty video of cute cats got a billion hits or something.

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Hey! I have a video on YouTube. sad laughing out loud

As do I. I just don't leave comments. Youtube comments are the lowest form of communication known to man. Read them sometime and you can actually feel your IQ going down.

Shakyamunison
...As do I. I just don't leave comments. Youtube comments are the lowest form of communication known to man. Read them sometime and you can actually feel your IQ going down.

I didn't mean for you to take what I said seriously. Maybe I should have put it on YouTube first. wink

inimalist
atheism, as in, not believing in God, is not a worldview. It is that lack of a particular worldview.

however, the modern movement that has attached itself to the name "atheist", which has notable figures, conventions and policy goals, is.

I'd post that Sam Harris talk again, but I've done it like 4-5 times before. Atheism, as a movement, is asinine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.