How come in almost all sci fi movies we/the race never leaves our/their galaxy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hewhoknowsall
Just asking, in almost every sci fi movie, we never actually truly colonize other galaxies, let alone the universe. Sure; we often leave the galaxy, but in the movies/shows/books we never colonize that much beyond.

I can't think of a single sci fi work of fiction that has us colonizing the universe.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Just asking, in almost every sci fi movie, we never actually truly colonize other galaxies, let alone the universe. Sure; we often leave the galaxy, but in the movies/shows/books we never colonize that much beyond.

I can't think of a single sci fi work of fiction that has us colonizing the universe.

It's too frigin big, i don't think even in star trek they went outside our galaxy besides maybe 1 or 2 episodes where an alien propeled them outside our galaxy.

But there its STAR WARS that is in a galaxy far far away. smile

Hewhoknowsall
But there is no sci fi work I remember in which a race actually manages to colonize more than just a galaxy. You could also claim that a galaxy's too big, and yet if they have the tech to colonize that, given enough time and maybe a few tech advancements why couldn't they colonize a cluster of galaxies/maybe even the known universe?

Endless Mike
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
But there is no sci fi work I remember in which a race actually manages to colonize more than just a galaxy. You could also claim that a galaxy's too big, and yet if they have the tech to colonize that, given enough time and maybe a few tech advancements why couldn't they colonize a cluster of galaxies/maybe even the known universe?

The Negation Empire in Crossgen colonized the entire universe

The Xeelee did in the Stephen Baxter's books

There are other examples

Dr Will Hatch
Robert Heinlein's book "Glory Road" had an empire that contained 20 universes.

-Pr-
Stargate (the tv shows anyways) have been in three galaxies so far...

full_movies_43
The movie characters are not advanced yet to go outside our galaxy.

doan_m
Originally posted by Endless Mike

There are other examples
Genesis Rising. Practically the whole universe is conquered.

bulletproofcour
Hewhoknowsall, you make a good point.

However, movies are limited in length. Shorthand must be used.

Characters don't have to leave the galaxy to engage in a great storyline. Just being in outer space is enough to satisfy the storytelling elements of today's sci-fi movie.

Am I right?

Splitty
Sure you're right.

And it's doubtful that planets in another Galaxy would be much more exotic than the planets they could dream up in our own Galaxy (assuming each Galaxy has the same phsyical planet rules), so there wouldn't be much point to move it a Galaxy or two over, except for a nice tagline at the beginning of a movie.....
wink

bulletproofcour
Indeed, Splitty! The script would read thus:

EXT Spaceship traveling through interstellar space.

EXT Spaceship arriving at Saturn-like planet.

hahahaha

Mindship
Originally posted by Endless Mike
The Xeelee did in the Stephen Baxter's books What a great series.

Why no intergalactic conquest in movies? My 2 cents worth...
- Too big and vast for most people to wrap their heads around.
- Staying closer to home (nearby interstellar travel), using technologies we can imagine makes the story seem more realistic.

erdiede
I think Andromeda had three galaxies they commonly traveled to... also Battlefield Earth the Psychlos had conquered multiple galaxies... though it pains me to utter the name of one of hubbard's works.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.