Spidey's deal with Mephisto.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SamZED
I want to know what you people think about the deal Parker made with Mephisto. And im NOT asking if it was a good or a bad idea for a story, 'cause it clearly was bad and ruined years of Spider-man's hystory.

Im talking about the choice Parker made. What do you think about it? Is there no excuse for making a deal with the devil or Parker chose a lesser of two evils? Sacrificed his marriage in order to save a life of innocent. Also, how much did Mary Jane influence his decision, because if I remember correctly she insisted on it to happen while Parker told Mephisto to gtfo.

So... do you think he did the right thing or he made a horrible mistake and no longer deserves to be called a hero?

jalek moye
His choice doesn't effect being a hero since it really wasn't one that was a herioc choice or not. I think it was stupid in the sesne that Peter knows enoguh about Mephisto to not trust him with anything, and also the fact that he can't keep May from dying for ever. He should have stayed with MJ and just let life happen. but he had to save her atleast ask someone more credible then Mephisto because i'm honestly surprised she hasn't died anyway yet.

starlock
This was the reason i stopped collecting spidey....and it remains to be the reason i dont care about the spidey books at all

I think all the good he has done is enought to keep him labeled a Hero...but i think it was really stupid....any in depth discussion about this topic always comes down to....the writers and Joe Q......i mean really..... the questions about the whys and why nots pertaining to Spidey and MJ...mean squat.....i think the disscussion can not go anywhere if we are to try and look for motives and reasons behind it in the spideyverse...its all in the offices at Marvel i.m.o

Darth Jello
He chose to give up his perfect, hot, loving soulmate of a wife for his old wrinkled, close to death aunt...

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Darth Jello
He chose to give up his perfect, hot, loving soulmate of a wife for his old wrinkled, close to death aunt...

This video explains it all.

1DWscNNsDtA

Bouboumaster
That's the worst decision ever made by a fictionnal character.

His friends should slap his face.

Darth Jello
Didn't Stan Lee establish over a nearly 50 year period that even a slight breeze could kill Aunt May, or did she magically grow younger since 1963?

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
This video explains it all.
I must admit, I laughed hard.

SamZED
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
That's the worst decision ever made by a fictionnal character.

His friends should slap his face. You think he should've let her die?

jalek moye
Originally posted by SamZED
You think he should've let her die?

I do because it was her time, if he was gonna save her should have tried it a different way then making a deal with Mephisto who if this wasn't some scheme to get him back to the classic days by the editors; would have killed her the next few days. Spider-man knows shes old and its gonna happen not to far from now, he shouldn't give up his happiness and love to preserve her life a little longer. He has to come to terms with it eventually and I'm sure she wouldn't have wanted it that way. And once again He probbly sold all three of their souls to Mephisto without even knowing it with that deal.

StiltmanFTW
I think he tried a different way. Didn't he ask Doc Strange for help?

Still that was a foolish decision.

the ninjak
I think it was an awesome decision...good riddance to MJ she was a b#### and Parker knew it, sure she is hot but I believe the deal was made and Spidey just sat there and thought...GREAT! I finally get rid of the ball and chain without regret and I still get someone to cook me pancakes in the morning.
Aunt May>>>MJ anyday wink

SamZED
^Only if we go by overall hotness then yes - May >>> MJ.big grin

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
I think he tried a different way. Didn't he ask Doc Strange for help?

Still that was a foolish decision. Yeah he went to Reed and Strange for help. Also the fact that they couldn'y cure a gunshot wound is rerarded. Seriously in the next Harry Potter vs Doc Strange thread im voting for Harry. I think the nurse from hogwarts couldve cured that wound. Sorcerer supreme my a$$...

BUSTER1
^Only if we go by overall hotness then yes - May >>> MJ.big grin

Yeah he went to Reed and Strange for help. Also the fact that they couldn'y cure a gunshot wound is rerarded. Seriously in the next Harry Potter vs Doc Strange thread im voting for Harry. I think the nurse from hogwarts couldve cured that wound. Sorcerer supreme my a$$...

In Hulk 399 when Marlo died after being stabbed, by a deranged woman who claimed to be Rick Jones mother, Strange couldn't help. Steve told Rick that if Marlo's spirit had been taken by demons, he could do something-but he could do nothing about mundane physical death.

Phoenix2001
I believe Spidey's decision ultimately comes down to his limitless unwillinglyness to let any life get passed him. Spidey has always been this way, even towards his worst enemies, and especailly towards his loved ones on more dramatic levels. This trait has varied from one writer to the next, but most often then not, his protectiveness over human lives has only ever been exaggerated, and he will go to extreme lengths to see that protection through.

Omega Vision
It was one of the most retarded moments in comics. Even glossing over the fact that people like Reed and Strange can't fix a single gunshot wound (something that's more than possible even in RL) is it really worth it to prolong May's life by a few years, a decade at best?

the ninjak
MJ should have slept with Stark!
It would have been awesome!!! and the real reason Spidey changed sides in Civil War.
The deal with the devil would've made alot more sense.
But regardless MJ was horrible every girl I know who reads comics agrees.
Rock on Peter!

SamZED
MJ with Stark? That's too much imo Gwen already slept with Green Goblin...

Mindset
Originally posted by Omega Vision
It was one of the most retarded moments in comics. Even glossing over the fact that people like Reed and Strange can't fix a single gunshot wound (something that's more than possible even in RL) is it really worth it to prolong May's life by a few years, a decade at best? Well, she has been in her 60's for about 50 years, so yea, she probably has more than a decade. big grin

Nephthys
Deal? What deal? I know of no deal.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Mindset
Well, she has been in her 60's for about 50 years, so yea, she probably has more than a decade. big grin
And Alfred Pennyworth is still a WW2 Veteran even though he's IIRC supposed to be in his early to mid sixties. stick out tongue

SamZED
Originally posted by Nephthys
Deal? What deal? I know of no deal. The deal is - Parker sells his marriage to Mephisto in exchange for Aunt May's life (who was dying from a gun shot) Parker refused at first but MJ insisted cause she felt guilty for what happened to May. So now nobody knows what's canon with Spider-man. His identity is secret again (even to those who knew it for YEARS even Black Cat) he lost his upgrades that he got after his fight with Morlun (the fight DID happen though according to Parker so him losing upgrades makes no sense), its not known if he ever lived with avengers and if he supported Stak during Civil War since Stark no longer even knows who he is, Harry Osborn is somehow alive again and Parker never got married to MJ, they supposedly broke up long ago. Quesada-man promised to give some kind of explanation but he never did. Also I dont see how he's gonna explain over 15 years of comicbook stories that he erased. Did I miss anything?

Omega Vision
The deal is - Parker sells his marriage to Mephisto in exchange for Aunt May's life (who was dying from a gun shot) Parker refused at first but MJ insisted cause she felt guilty for what happened to May. So now nobody knows what's canon with Spider-man. His identity is secret again (even to those who knew it for YEARS even Black Cat) he lost his upgrades that he got after his fight with Morlun (the fight DID happen though according to Parker so him losing upgrades makes no sense), its not known if he ever lived with avengers and if he supported Stak during Civil War since Stark no longer even knows who he is, Harry Osborn is somehow alive again and Parker never got married to MJ, they supposedly broke up long ago. Quesada-man promised to give some kind of explanation but he never did. Also I dont see how he's gonna explain over 15 years of comicbook stories that he erased. Did I miss anything?
The dumbest part is that Mephisto has essentially been upgraded to a low level Universal reality warper, far beyond what he should be capable of. I can accept him erasing the memories of some people but also changing continuity on such a scale? No way, not Mephisto.

. Hitosu Moriko
(reported)

rader
They wanted to blow us away with Spiderman Revealing his identity, but needed to fix it afterward. They were prolly planning this as soon as the Civil War was brought up.

BlackZero30x
You know spider-man was my very first comic book and i have a huge collection of his books....i stopped reading him continually but still catch some issues or read them online because of the deal...and like stated above it was stupid because peter knew better....IMO yes he sacrificed his wants, needs and gains(once again)to save people/person....do i agree with it?...well not really but i never agre'ed with him unmasking himself in the first place...but those story's in no way made me stop likening the character in no way.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.