TDK, a year later.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

One Free Man
I liked it as much as the next rabid feral heath-ledger-joker fanboy, but the more i see it the more it seems to be an irritating barrage of dramatic climaxes dependent on one strong character's acting which seems to almost carry everyone else.

A year later and now it seems kind of redundant and the film literally seems to go on forever with no basic plot-line.

Watching batman begins, however, almost 4 years later (and over ten re watches easily), and I find myself once again mesmerized.

Watching the dark knight again I feel that its success can only be attributed to its famously well done acting by Ledger (mark Hamill was better though), which was magnified by his death. I will go back to my padded room quietly if you all don't agree, but how do you feel about tdk today? Do you like it as much as when you first saw it with all the hype?

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by One Free Man
I liked it as much as the next rabid feral heath-ledger-joker fanboy, but the more i see it the more it seems to be an irritating barrage of dramatic climaxes dependent on one strong character's acting which seems to almost carry everyone else.

A year later and now it seems kind of redundant and the film literally seems to go on forever with no basic plot-line.

Watching batman begins, however, almost 4 years later (and over ten re watches easily), and I find myself once again mesmerized.
I guess it depends on how you define a basic plotline. I found myself watching TDK around as many times as I did Batman Begins, if not more (have 'em both on Blu-Ray).

Watching the dark knight again I feel that its success can only be attributed to its famously well done acting by Ledger (mark Hamill was better though), which was magnified by his death.
A matter of opinion obviously, though Hamill himself basically admitted Ledger did a better job as the Joker than he ever could. *shrug* I like to think of him more as Luke.

Also, I like how those who loathed The Dark Knight's success (almost outselling Titanic) claimed Ledger's death to be the only factor that led to it, saying it would've been nothing special (or would've sucked) otherwise, despite all the tremendous hype that was built up before Heath died. Fact is, everyone was expecting a great movie even before his death because of how well Begins was made, and it delivered more than well IMO. Only a small fraction of TDK's success can even be attributed to his death, as far as I'm concerned.

Overall, TDK was one of the only movies/things of today for me that actually lived up to its hype, and that's pretty damn rare... Don't feel the need to go back to your padded room because of me though. stick out tongue

Myth
First of all, movies are almost always more exciting when they are new to you and surrounded by a bunch of hype where you can discuss it with others.

As for my opinion, I've re-watched TDK many times over the past year and I still love it. Sure, Ledger is still my favorite part, but I still enjoy the plot and the turn of Harvey and such. So to me, I still think it was worthy of all the hype it got.

starlock
I disliked TDK right from the start, bad movie i.m.o,and i believe Begins is a way better movie all around...a year later and TDK is so boring and uninteresting i refuse to waste my time watching it....from Bales horrible acting to heaths failure to capture the true joker..the only thing i liked was Dent and how they handled his character

lord xyz
A year later it's still a really good film.

One of the best of the decade.

Rachel, Gordon, Joker and Harvey are all performed fantastically and have great storylines.

Ms.Marvel
movie sucked then and it sucks now imo no

BruceSkywalker
I enjoyed watching The Dark Knight in the theater 10 times and I continue to enjoy watching every time it comes on hbo, cinemax, starz etc... TDK is simply one of the best films ever made

One Free Man
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

A matter of opinion obviously, though Hamill himself basically admitted Ledger did a better job as the Joker than he ever could. just because hamill said it doesn't make it so. he was being modest.

Ridley_Prime
just because hamill said it doesn't make it so. he was being modest.
Yeah, though I wasn't necessarily trying to imply that what Mark said made it so (sorry if it looked that way), but it just goes to show..

Micheal_Myers
The Dark Knight is probably my favorite film ever. I dont watch it repeatedly. Any film will eventually grow dull over time if you repeatedly watch it over and over.

I really dont see how anyone can say the film didn't capture the true Joker. Perhaps not the true Joker's look, but his personality was pretty dead on.

As for Mark Hamill. He has the best Joker voice of all time. But he never portrayed the joker on screen. It cant really be compared until you give Mark the make up and the hair dye and put him on camera.

Kazenji
Originally posted by starlock
acting to heaths failure to capture the true joker

I would'nt say he failed to do that he did capture the joker but only one side of him his dark and Sadistic side......................and i'm not saying this just because Ledger died.

lord xyz
I see Ledger doing the dark side brilliantly, Nicholson did the comical/insane side brilliantly, and Hamill did the voice the best.

So maybe join those three together, and you have THE joker.

Quincy
That'd be sick if they ended up replacing Ledger's Joker with Mark Hamill.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I guess it depends on how you define a basic plotline. I found myself watching TDK around as many times as I did Batman Begins, if not more (have 'em both on Blu-Ray).

A matter of opinion obviously, though Hamill himself basically admitted Ledger did a better job as the Joker than he ever could. *shrug* I like to think of him more as Luke.

Also, I like how those who loathed The Dark Knight's success (almost outselling Titanic) claimed Ledger's death to be the only factor that led to it, saying it would've been nothing special (or would've sucked) otherwise, despite all the tremendous hype that was built up before Heath died. Fact is, everyone was expecting a great movie even before his death because of how well Begins was made, and it delivered more than well IMO. Only a small fraction of TDK's success can even be attributed to his death, as far as I'm concerned.

Overall, TDK was one of the only movies/things of today for me that actually lived up to its hype, and that's pretty damn rare... Don't feel the need to go back to your padded room because of me though. stick out tongue

I agree, i think it's a crock when people say the only reason TDK did well was because of Ledger's death. If i am not a fan of batman or ledger then i wouldn't go see the movie just cause it was one of his last roles.

I still think the movie is great today, i took my wife and she isn't all that into superhero stuff and i think she thought it was going to be a typical comic book movie like batman forever or batman and robin. she came out and really enjoyed it because it's done the way it should be as if he is the worlds greatest detective.

Myth
Originally posted by darthmaul1
i think she thought it was going to be a typical comic book movie like batman forever or batman and robin.

Those are typical comic book movies? Batman Forever maybe, but Batman and Robin is just about the bottom of the barrel.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Myth
Those are typical comic book movies? Batman Forever maybe, but Batman and Robin is just about the bottom of the barrel.

Sorry, i shouldn't of used typical i should of put it like this, in her mind she thought it would be colorful and silly like batman forever and batman and robin. or even the old tv series.

Actually not to many of the superhero movies are too silly now, with the exception of the above 2 movies and the watchmen.

lord xyz
Spiderman not silly?

SnakeEyes
TDK is still a freaking fantastic movie. And I'll think the same thing next year and the year after, etc.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by lord xyz
Spiderman not silly?

Agreed that is silly too.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I enjoyed watching The Dark Knight in the theater 10 times and I continue to enjoy watching every time it comes on hbo, cinemax, starz etc... TDK is simply one of the best films ever made

Pretty much agreed.

siriuswriter
at the beginning, i saw it in theatres three times.

when it came out on dvd, back to back to back.

now : i still watch it, sometimes within other genres as a marathon or sometimes by itself - and my emotions are still hitting the same high notes even though i know when the fake batman is going to slam against the mayor's office, when the pile of money goes up in flames, what instant the pencil goes through the thug's skull. i still shiver when the joker enters, laughing that "Ha.... ha ha HA HA HA.... ha.... *giggle*... ha," still laugh at alfred's wittiness, still get my knickers in a twist when bruce wayne's shirt is off and he's mending his own wounds... ahem.

the movie was built for that, i think. plus, it's much easier for me to enter the suspension of disbelief when i love a movie.

it's still the same suspenseful roller coaster ride, and i LOVE it.

Ridley_Prime

lord xyz
Heath's performance of the Joker is more true, but the Nolanverse is what I don't like, atleast. When I first saw the scars and the bad makeup I was like, wth?

For me, the Joker is a crazy guy that IS a joker. He tells jokes and prances around like an idiot. Heath usually just walks hunched over, whereas Jack was dancing. That's what I like as the Joker. Heath's joker, but actually dancing and doing quirky things, like half way through intimidating the mob he could talk to himself, but not in a threatening way, and then look at the mob and scare them. That's my joker.

You may think I hate Heath Ledger's joker, but no, it's fantastic, but I just want a more unusual, Jack Nicholson kinda Joker. Schizophrenic, narcissistic, OCD, everything.

And yeah, Burton's films did screw the comics a bit.

saintsaucey
I liked Watchmen.

starlock

darthmaul1
Originally posted by starlock
All of this is just an opinon..your opinon..to say i dont know what i am talking about (since you like to lump everyone together who did not like TDK) or that i am not familiar with the batman comics is a joke on you...posters who do this just amaze me....i am 38 years old and have been reading batman comics for over 30 years....at the least say its your opinon..your post sounds like your in love with Heath Ledger...Heaths performance was way below what i would want from a joker...hell its not even close..His attempt to capture the joker failed...and he as an actor is not even a talented one...i might like one of his performances as an actor..but i cant think of one i enjoyed( maybe Knights Tale?)...and i thought TDK was a bad movie ....and all that is in my opinon...a year later...i would not even spend my money on this movie....and i have every other movie from the batman franchise...a year later and this movie still does nothing to interest me...from Bale as the worst batman/Bruce ever....to the trying so hard to be real... Nolan verse...which barely worked for me in the first one.

Whoa IMO you are clearly a nut bar! you don't like the dark knight, but you like and own all the other batman movies?? Including Batman Forever and Batman and Robin which are the worst pieces of crap ever.
and you think Bale is the worst Batman ever when IMO he is the best next to Keaton.
Sheldon from the big bang theory got it right, when he said "Joel Schumacher is on my enemies list for nearly single handedly destroying the batman franchise"

Dr Will Hatch
I still think it's a great movie. Everything about it is A list.

Blinky
Was and still is a mediocre movie.

Dr Will Hatch
Perhaps those who are disapointed about it a year later payed too much attention to Heath Ledger. Sure, he was great, but so was everything else in the movie. The movie wasn't about the damn Joker you know.

Badabing

Watching the dark knight again I feel that its success can only be attributed to its famously well done acting by Ledger (mark Hamill was better though), which was magnified by his death. I will go back to my padded room quietly if you all don't agree, but how do you feel about tdk today? Do you like it as much as when you first saw it with all the hype? I pretty much agree. Batman Begins is much easier for me to watch again than TDK. I can sit through Batman Begins from start to finish but have to watch TDK in parts for some reason.

Davis Bloome
A year later and I still see TDK as one of the greatest movies of all time. It's simply brilliantly done. I haven't watched it as of late, but I definitely will when I get some extra time. It's an amazing movie.

steverules_2
A year later I still find the only good scenes to me are the ones with joker glare And I still find that batman: TDK is overrated, I also liked the scene where Rachel died...she annoyed the hell outta me

darthmaul1
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

You've seen TDK in the theater 10 times but don't own the Blu-ray or DVD??

Davis Bloome
That's odd, but I saw it twice in theaters opening weekend and subsequently got the DVD for my birthday that year. I've watched it a few times on DVD, but not as much as I want to.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by darthmaul1
You've seen TDK in the theater 10 times but don't own the Blu-ray or DVD??

oh, I own the dvd which I watch once every couple of days big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.