Lifting Strength vs Punching/Striking Strength

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nihilist
Which is more impressive/better feat.

batdude123
Punching/striking.

Hewhoknowsall
Depends:

Lifting a universe is more impressive than punching out a 3 year old.

But lifting a bottle isn't nearly as impressive as punching out Superman.

-Pr-
Originally posted by batdude123
Punching/striking.

Naija boy
Punching/striking strength is more relevant to battles.

psycho gundam
what about devastating the eastern seaboard with a casual step?

whistle

Battlehammer
I mean lifting should be weighted much higher in terms of strength feats.

Because people can punch far harder then they are able to lift. There are also many people who are far stronger lifters, but in terms of punching power are far weaker then others.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by Naija boy
Punching/striking strength is more relevant to battles. thumb up

Bouboumaster
Originally posted by Battlehammer
I mean lifting should be weighted much higher in terms of strength feats.

Because people can punch far harder then they are able to lift. There are also many people who are far stronger lifters, but in terms of punching power are far weaker then others.

Mindship
One-shotting Superman is more impressive than lifting a quintillion tons.

Forcefield2099
Punching/striking.

supremthor
Originally posted by Mindship
One-shotting Superman is more impressive than lifting a quintillion tons.
true

ColossusGrundy
World class powerlifters can't punch for crap because of being muscle-bound.

World class karate champs can punch through cement but can't lift much of anything.

Depends on the character. Superman would ideally be both. For combat striking would rule, for feats......lifting.

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by ColossusGrundy

World class karate champs can punch through cement but can't lift much of anything.

Depends on the character. Superman would ideally be both. For combat striking would rule, for feats......lifting.
Weight lifters also probably can't punch well because they don't train for that.

The higher you get in the comics the less striking power you seem to have. Sure, they show people making shockwaves with every punch but at a certain point everyone should be doing that.

Master Court
Originally posted by ColossusGrundy

^ Very uninformed comments.

A good punch doesn't rely on just the power of the muscle, but greatly on the speed of the punch as well. Whether a man can punch well and/or lift a lot is entirely up to the man, not determined by training but by what training he seeks. A body builder who presses several hundred pounds can just as easily take up a decent martial art and learn to punch fast. The same for the other way around. Naturally, though, if a man only seeks to punch fast or only seeks to lift a lot, he's limiting himself mentally, but he's not incapable of learning the other. As well, it's unwise to say "because this dude does this, he probably can't do that". A man you don't know, as far as you know, could be capable of anything.

In any case, what's more impressive? Who you can hurt is much more impressive than what you can lift. Look at Flash. He can't lift much more than a normal guy. But the IMP can level Superman. That's much more impressive than benching a billion tons. That said, a guy that can bench a billion tons can probably effectively slug Superman anyway.

This kind of reminds me of the phrase about wealth. "The gratification of wealth is not found in mere possession or in lavish expenditure, but in its wise application."

The same could be said for strength.

Omega Vision
Well lifting feats are easier to quantify and for the majority of a superhero's job lifting strength is more important. That said punching strength is important and while Superman has more lifting strength than Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman always seems to hit a lot harder than Big Blue.

batdude123
Originally posted by Master Court
But the IMP can level Superman.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Wonder Woman always seems to hit a lot harder than Big Blue.

http://www.weblo.com/asset_images/large/Lil_Jon_Dave_Chappelle_L_461c9a590dec5.jpg

Knowsbleed33
A strong bench presser is going to have a really hard punch. The tri's, delts and pecs are all involved in a punch. Tank Abbott was probably one of the hardest hitters in MMA history and he could bench nearly 700lbs. raw.

As for this thread, striking power is infinitely more valuable than lifting.

Omega Vision
No really, considering the fact she's weaker than Superman she still does crazy damage. She has more combat training so it makes sense she'd hit harder.

batdude123
Except she doesn't. barker

xJLxKing
Originally posted by Knowsbleed33
A strong bench presser is going to have a really hard punch. The tri's, delts and pecs are all involved in a punch. Tank Abbott was probably one of the hardest hitters in MMA history and he could bench nearly 700lbs. raw.

What about Bruce Lee? No power in bench press yet he had huge striking speed, and power

Knowsbleed33
Was his ever measured?

xJLxKing
Was his ever measured?
I don't know, but You expect him to lift 700 lbs? OF course not!

Omega Vision
Bruce Lee once went with a friend of his to Muscle Beach and while there they passed a huge body-builder. Lee's friend said "Wow that guy's huge".
Lee just said: "Yes he's big alright. But is he powerful?"

xJLxKing
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Bruce Lee once went with a friend of his to Muscle Beach and while there they passed a huge body-builder. Lee's friend said "Wow that guy's huge".
Lee just said: "Yes he's big alright. But is he powerful?"
thumb up

Speed adds to how much power your punch has. Body builders have stiff muscles.

Knowsbleed33
Body-builders are way different than strong-man/power-lifters.

Galan007
all-star superman lifting quintillions of tons with one arm = impressive.

all-star superman hitting an alien planet so hard it went back to it's own dimension = more impressive.

xJLxKing
Originally posted by Galan007
all-star superman lifting quintillions of tons with one arm = impressive.

all-star superman hitting an alien planet so hard it went back to it's own dimension = more impressive.
I don't remember him doing that.

Galan007
which one?

xJLxKing
Punching a planet. Do you mean that Bizarro world?

Galan007
yep.

PowerHerc
Much like beauty, what one finds to be impressive (or more impressive in this case) is in the eye of the beholder. What's better chocolate or vanilla? Which is more awe-inspiring the Grand Canyon or the Redwood Forrest? What's more important when determining a girls attractiveness: Her face or her body? It's all a matter of opinion.

Lord Feron
Originally posted by xJLxKing
What about Bruce Lee? No power in bench press yet he had huge striking speed, and power

He has actuall far more strength in lifting comapred to a 250lb mucle man. I seen pictures of Bruce lee holding what looked like 100lbs extended out in front of him like it was nothing. Also he can do a pinky push up. His strength in lifting is atleast professional athelete level and striking is ****ing superhuman.

Anyone eveer see the video when bruce lee is like 5 inches away from a big ass mucle man and hits him in the stomach and he goes flying back? Damn crazy!

CortSether

Tank Abbott benches 600 lbs raw, not 700. Still damn impressive, though.

DarkOdin
Originally posted by CortSether
Tank Abbott benches 600 lbs raw, not 700. Still damn impressive, though. Eh the sport of powerlifting is getting out of hand with numbers. If you watch how the lifters are allowed to position there body's it is BS. "the main reason i don't compete in them any more"

The heavy guys have a big advantage.

They are allowed to arch their backs and only bring the weight down to the top of there stomach. So instead of bring it down to you chest lets say moving the bar 1.5 feet they move it as little as 3 inches i seen.

Tank must likely could do between425-450 pounds "still alot of weight".

Mindship
Originally posted by Lord Feron
Anyone eveer see the video when bruce lee is like 5 inches away from a big ass mucle man and hits him in the stomach and he goes flying back? Damn crazy! I believe you're referring to a demonstration of his famous "1-inch punch." Lee definitely knew how to generate power, how to leverage it from the ground through his legs and hips and into his arms and hands.

batdude123
Also he can do a pinky push up.

No.

Lord Feron
Originally posted by Galan007
yep.

wait a minute how the hell does one do that without totally obliterating a planet or just punching a hole in it? The whol planet bounced back? wtf....

DarkOdin
No.

Yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g70Z4egrnuk

batdude123
Originally posted by DarkOdin
Yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g70Z4egrnuk

Which is not a pinky pushup. smile

DarkOdin
Which is not a pinky pushup. smile

That is what is considered a pinky push up unless you want to rename it.

Parmaniac

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=8013032

pink(y) pushup

batdude123

It's called a two finger pushup. no expression

In no way did he use his pinky for it.

Mindset
The pinky is implied. eek!

Mindset
Eh the sport of powerlifting is getting out of hand with numbers. If you watch how the lifters are allowed to position there body's it is BS. "the main reason i don't compete in them any more"

The heavy guys have a big advantage.

They are allowed to arch their backs and only bring the weight down to the top of there stomach. So instead of bring it down to you chest lets say moving the bar 1.5 feet they move it as little as 3 inches i seen.

Tank must likely could do between425-450 pounds "still alot of weight". Resting the weight on your stomach would be harder than bringing it to your chest.

DarkOdin
Originally posted by Mindset
Resting the weight on your stomach would be harder than bringing it to your chest. Not when you only have to move the weight 2 inches instead of 15 inches. Plus when you arch you turn it into more of a decline bench press which is easyier b/c of the shorter range of motion.

They changed the rules years back you use to have to be flat on the bench and feet flat on the floor not like the joke the sport is today. i will find a clip for you.

DarkOdin
The pinky is implied. eek! thumb up

DarkOdin
shit thumb down

batdude123
barker

DarkOdin
barker Sorry buddy i know you were joking and i was not going to win so i played dirty laughing

iceman24567
Good call thumb up

-Pr-
http://www.weblo.com/asset_images/large/Lil_Jon_Dave_Chappelle_L_461c9a590dec5.jpg

laughing out loud

Doctor-Alvis
He has actuall far more strength in lifting comapred to a 250lb mucle man. I seen pictures of Bruce lee holding what looked like 100lbs extended out in front of him like it was nothing. Also he can do a pinky push up. His strength in lifting is atleast professional athelete level and striking is ****ing superhuman.

Anyone eveer see the video when bruce lee is like 5 inches away from a big ass mucle man and hits him in the stomach and he goes flying back? Damn crazy!
I saw a video of him pushing some doughy guy back into a chair and the label was "1 inch punch"

DarkOdin
Not when you only have to move the weight 2 inches instead of 15 inches. Plus when you arch you turn it into more of a decline bench press which is easyier b/c of the shorter range of motion.

They changed the rules years back you use to have to be flat on the bench and feet flat on the floor not like the joke the sport is today. i will find a clip for you.

http://www.ironasylumgym.com/riverhead120206/videos

Look at glenn he did a 775 bench you can see how he didn't come near his chest maybe half way at best

Mindset
Did you see how big his chest was?

Looked pretty close to me, you don't actually touch your chest when you benchpress.

Nihilist

Look at glenn he did a 775 bench you can see how he didn't come near his chest maybe half way at best Yeah all he did was bench to his fat gut.

DarkOdin
Did you see how big his chest was?

Looked pretty close to me, you don't actually touch your chest when you benchpress. You do in a lifting meet i was at this one actually and lifted in it. When you there in person you can see better.

Mindset
I was a Regional Judge for the International Powerlifting Association.

DarkOdin
I was a Regional Judge for the International Powerlifting Association. then you should know better and you would know you bring the bar too your chest and pause it o wait you don't hmmm

Mindset
Yes, I do know better than you.

Mindship

Personally, I like when they chea...er, lift 1000+ lbs with the benching shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlDWdfTAx8o&feature=fvw

Mindset
Benching shirt?

Lord Feron
Originally posted by Mindship
Personally, I like when they chea...er, lift 1000+ lbs with the benching shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlDWdfTAx8o&feature=fvw

HAHA look at that guys arms lol so short hehee

DarkOdin
Benching shirt? laughing Next time you claim to be a judge at the least wikipedia power lifting.

All the vid i showed they have the shirts on.

They are designed to help you lift the bar of you chest for the first half of the lift. "cheating" but they became legal of the time.

They are some real expensive one out there made from denim and Kevlar.

just to give you and idea i tried my once with 275 pounds on the bar and i couldn't bring the bar to my chest.

My bench press at the time was 315 and it increased it to 350 with the shirt one and mine was a cheap one.

I seen a guy using the denim one and he couldn't bring 575 to his chest and said he shirt add over 150pounds to his bench

BattleMage
Punching/striking strength is more relevant to battle!

Mindset
laughing Next time you claim to be a judge at the least wikipedia power lifting.
Of course I was lying, retard. no expression

DarkOdin
HAHA look at that guys arms lol so short hehee

It is the shirt it is so tight he could only get it 3/4 of the way on laughing

Mindship
Benching shirt?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bench_shirt

DarkOdin
Of course I was lying, retard. no expression i know that why i put the wikipedia thing in there for you buddy. i guess that went over your head

Mindship got it laughing

Mindset
Yea, telling me to wiki something went over my head.

DarkOdin
Yea, telling me to wiki something went over my head. not that point i was refering too,
if you are going to lie about something at least know what your talking about first thus the reason about using wikipedia.

Like i said it went over you head Thanks for further proving my point

Mindset
I lied about the IPAs rules, I wasn't really trying that hard to fool you...

A simple google search would have shown I was lying.

Simpleton.

DarkOdin
I lied about the IPAs rules, I wasn't really trying that hard to fool you...

A simple google search would have shown I was lying.

Simpleton. Right you know about powerlifitng but you don't know the must basic equipment a bench shirt. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mindset
They see me trollin

They hatin

Mindset
Right you know about powerlifitng but you don't know the must basic equipment a bench shirt. roll eyes (sarcastic) You didn't understand what I just said?

DarkOdin
You didn't understand what I just said? no one understands what you are saying

Mindset
no one understands what you are saying

*looks at location*

Oh, I see.

http://vodpod.com/watch/1769473-long-island-wants-to-secede

Philosophía
They see me trollin

They hatin

laughing out loud

DarkOdin
*looks at location*

Oh, I see.

http://vodpod.com/watch/1769473-long-island-wants-to-secede laughing good burn

Knowsbleed33
The rules in pro-power-lifting suck. Benchers should never ben able to lift their back off the bench at all and bench jackets should be outlawed.

iceman24567
They see me trollin

They hatin laughing

Spire
Punching.

Knowsbleed33
It seems the consensus is striking power>lifting. Who do you guys think is the hardest hitters in their respective universes? I was going to make this a thread, but since it's not technically a vs. thread it would most likely get closed.

-Pr-
It seems the consensus is striking power>lifting. Who do you guys think is the hardest hitters in their respective universes? I was going to make this a thread, but since it's not technically a vs. thread it would most likely get closed.

go ahead. feats'll get posted anyways. just say i said it was ok...

psycho gundam
thor is a front runner imo, that dude has a shit load of raw power behind his strikes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.