Return of the Jedi - Deleted Scenes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jayce78
What are your favorite classic Deleted Scenes and cut material from the Movie? Do you know of any that other fans don't? Share & Talk about here . . . . . .

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9408/1203x.png

coolmovies
Are there any Deleted Scenes in the three films ?? we dont get any extres when we buy the dvd just the films

jayce78
Here's a small little interesting scene . . . .

The Rancor Pit
By T-bone
Published: November 15, 2004
Updated: November 19, 2008

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/5775/1210k.png

According to many sources there was a scene involving Luke in the Rancor pit that was filmed but ultimately cut from RETURN OF THE JEDI.

Before actually dropping into the pit, however, Luke tried (albeit unsuccessfully) to threaten Jabba with a pistol from one of the guards. Before Luke could do anything dangerous, Jabba dropped him down into the pit, as you know.

The shots you see below of Luke holding the blaster were widely used for marketing purposes while the film was in production and then after it was released. The angles used in these stills are slightly different than what we saw in the film, though. To me, they look like promo stills or staged photos. Those guys in the back look like they're creeping up slowly on Luke while in the finished film the scene happens in a flash.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9223/2432.png

S o, after Luke falls into the pit and sees the menacing Rancor creature, he does one of those super Jedi leaps - much like the one he used in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (and subsequently used in the Prequel Trilogy) and grabs hold of the grating on the floor of Jabba's audience chamber. Two Jawas proceed to bang on Luke's fingers with the butts of their rifles forcing him to fall onto the Rancor's eye and then back to the floor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can read more about this scene in its entirety in the RETURN OF THE JEDI novelization.

General G
Cool, never knew about that, I own the ROTJ novel too, maybe I should read it.

jayce78
The Tatooine Sandstorm
By T-bone
Published: January 22, 2005

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7906/1263r.jpg

After our heroes' daring escape from Jabba the Hutt and the vile Sarlacc monster, the group confronts a nasty sandstorm that comes up out of nowhere. They leave the stolen skiff and make their way to their hidden ships on foot. When they get to the ships, they exchange a few words and are on their way.

David Oghia, writer for the Star Wars Insider wrote a nice piece on the sandstorm in Issue #35 that included some never before seen photo stills you can see down below. The dialogue is a little different depending on if you read an old draft of the script or the RETURN OF THE JEDI Novelization. Here's an excerpt from an alleged third draft of the script by Kasdan and Lucas (unconfirmed):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXT DUNE SEA - LANDING AREA
A ferocious sandstorm blocks our view. Then, through the ROAR, we HEAR THE VOICES of our heroes. They emerge slowly from the veil of sand, pressing on against the wind. First come Artoo and Threepio, followed by Leia guiding Han, then Luke and Lando come into view, each supporting one side of the towering Chewbacca, who hobbles from his wound. Soon, they can make out some large vague shapes in the blowing sand. It is the Millennium Falcon and, parked beside it, Luke's trusty X-wing and a two-seated Y-wing. They must shout to be heard.

HAN
I don't know. All I can
see is a lot of blowing sand!

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5940/1247k.jpg

LEIA
That's all any of us can see.

HAN (blinking)
Then I guess I'm getting better.

As soon as the group huddles under the bulk of the Falcon, the wind dies down to something more describable as a severe weather condition. Threepio hits a switch, and the gang-plank lowers with a HUM.

HAN (turning to Luke)
I've got to hand it to you, kid,
you were pretty good out there.

LUKE (shrugging it off)
I had a lot of help.
Think nothing of it.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6350/1258p.jpg

HAN
No, I'm thinking a lot about it.
That carbon freeze was the closest thing
to dead there is. And it wasn't just sleepin'.
It was a big wide awake nothing!

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9120/1255l.jpg

Luke nods, as Chewie growls affectionately at the young Jedi warrior, mussing his hair like a proud uncle. And Leia warmly hugs him.

LUKE (moving to his ship)
I'll see you back at the fleet.

HAN
Why don't you leave that
crate and come with us?

LUKE
I have a promise I have to keep
first... to an old friend.

Luke and Artoo take off in their spacecraft.

HAN
(looking dubiously at Lando, obviously
remembering his friend's betrayal
and subsequent aid)
Guess I owe you some thanks, too, Lando.

LANDO
Figured if I left you frozen like that
you'd just give me bad luck the rest of
my life, so I might as well get you
unfrozen sooner or later.

LEIA
He means "You're welcome."

LANDO
Come on, let's get off
this miserable dust ball
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below you'll see some rare behind the scene's photo's from the Making of Return of the Jedi showing the production behind this scene in the film.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9946/1261.jpg

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3531/1260.jpg

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/5050/1259r.jpg

MadMel
there was also a part in the ROTJ novel (one of the many, i might add)
that has a scene where the emperor is talking about yoda, and after reading luke's mind he realizes his ancient enemy is at last dead erm
i dont think that was ever a cut scene from the movie tho..

coolmovies
cool these should be on the dvd box set

roughrider
Originally posted by MadMel
there was also a part in the ROTJ novel (one of the many, i might add)
that has a scene where the emperor is talking about yoda, and after reading luke's mind he realizes his ancient enemy is at last dead erm
i dont think that was ever a cut scene from the movie tho..

Not everything you read in the novels is canon. When Anakin/Vader is dying in the hanger after taking off his helmet, he muses about how he wished he had met Yoda. Naturally, this is untrue.
People who write novelizations of scripts are seeing things at the development and production stage, not when the movie is closing in on the final edit.

It would be cool to get in the sandstorm scene; the reason it was cut was that Lucas felt it would've slowed the momentum built by the escape from Jabba and the explosion of the Sail Barge. So they just cut from the skift racing away to the ships blasting off from Tattooine, and took some of that dialogue and played it as a ship to ship communication. (But you think they could have filmed some reaction shots from the Falcon cockpit....)

headless robot
nobody mentioned that Lando originally dies when the death star explodes.

they re-shot it so he survives after negative reviews at advanced screenings.

queeq
True.

The sandstorm scene and Luke hanging from the grate were also in the comic book.

And yes, everything you read in the novelisations of the films IS canon.

JRD2102
I saw Jedi at the theatre. I always swore I remember a extra part to the rancor scene. When Luke and the Guard were dropped in the pit the Guard grabs the blaster and shoots the rancor to no effect. It then droppped the pistol. In all verssion I am certain just after he dropped the blaster and threw up his arms is where it picks up. Does anyone know anything about this.

queeq
Nope

steverules_2
Could be bantha fodder

The Rover
Originally posted by headless robot
nobody mentioned that Lando originally dies when the death star explodes.

they re-shot it so he survives after negative reviews at advanced screenings.

Lucasfilm has denied this several times, including here.

General G
Originally posted by queeq
True.

The sandstorm scene and Luke hanging from the grate were also in the comic book.

What about what Roughrider mentioned about Vader/Anakin musing about wishing he had met Yoda?

That's apparently in the novel and is not true.

queeq
The novels also say Owen Lars was Kenobi's brother... it's still canon. Flawed but still canon.

General G
Wtf? How can that be canon...? That's ridiculous...

queeq
It's in the novel... the novel is canon.

Hybris
Originally posted by General G
What about what Roughrider mentioned about Vader/Anakin musing about wishing he had met Yoda?

That's apparently in the novel and is not true.

"He wished, briefly, he'd met Yoda, to thank the old Jedi for the training he'd given Luke... But perhaps he'd be with Yoda soon, in the ethereal oneness of the Force. And with Obi-Wan."

That's what the novel says. (Just picked it up yesterday for 4 euros in a book store, although it's second-hand ofcourse) I suppose you can give the words a twist and say that Vader isn't talking about meeting Yoda for the first time.

General G
It's in the novel... the novel is canon.

And so it was written, so it must be true, I guess.

Originally posted by Hybris
"He wished, briefly, he'd met Yoda, to thank the old Jedi for the training he'd given Luke... But perhaps he'd be with Yoda soon, in the ethereal oneness of the Force. And with Obi-Wan."

That's what the novel says. (Just picked it up yesterday for 4 euros in a book store, although it's second-hand ofcourse) I suppose you can give the words a twist and say that Vader isn't talking about meeting Yoda for the first time.

Alright, yeah, that makes more sense, then. It's all about being interpreted. I can easily see that being that Vader just wanted to meet Yoda again to thank him for what he has done for Luke.

queeq
Don't try to smooth talk all the inconsistencies... the inconsistencies are there because Lucas keeps changing his mind.

Hybris
Hehe I never said I was doing that. I said it involved giving the words a twist. It's a game of semantics in that specific Vader - Yoda case, although we all know he meant meeting him for the first time smile

I do find the idea of Owen Lars and Kenobi being brothers plain horrible. Strictu sensu, that would have made Kenobi Luke's uncle and Vader's brother.

The Rover
Don't try to smooth talk all the inconsistencies... the inconsistencies are there because Lucas keeps changing his mind.

Well, the novels were also based on scripts that didn't have elements in them in the final shooting version(s), too. As far as I'm aware - I might be wrong - the novels are considered "G canon" with the movies except where there are inaccuracies/inconsistencies.

General G
Hehe I never said I was doing that. I said it involved giving the words a twist. It's a game of semantics in that specific Vader - Yoda case, although we all know he meant meeting him for the first time smile

I do find the idea of Owen Lars and Kenobi being brothers plain horrible. Strictu sensu, that would have made Kenobi Luke's uncle and Vader's brother.

Mindf**k.

queeq

Err... no. Owen Lars was Kenobi's brother... not Vader's brother. It would have made Owen NOT Luke's uncle.

General G
Wow. Didn't even think that through. I'm embarassed I went along with that.

cornponious
Originally posted by JRD2102
I saw Jedi at the theatre. I always swore I remember a extra part to the rancor scene. When Luke and the Guard were dropped in the pit the Guard grabs the blaster and shoots the rancor to no effect. It then droppped the pistol. In all verssion I am certain just after he dropped the blaster and threw up his arms is where it picks up. Does anyone know anything about this.

I have the OT as it was originally released in theaters on laserdisc and I don't believe the scene is like that on my copy.

Kazenji
True.

Still got that comic adaptation hanging around might check it out again for these deleted scenes

those two were'nt in it at all....well the one that i have anyway.

mossman
If we are talking about the Marvel Comics adaptations, the Return of the Jedi one didn't really include anything in the way of cut scenes.
The Star Wars comic had the Tosche Station/Biggs and Jabba scenes, whlie the Empire Strikes Back one contained the Wampa attack on the Rebel base and some extra moments cut from Luke's training with Yoda.

As for other Jedi deleted scenes... from the Blu-Ray teaser trailer, it looks like we are definitely going to get Luke constructing his saber, the sandstorm, the extended bunker attack, and some of the extra shots of Rebel pilots from the Death Star assault in the upcoming release.

queeq
Happy Dance

General G
I'm not sure that was entirely necessary.

queeq
J/k.

General G
LOLOLOLOLOL

queeq
indeed.

General G
That awkward moment.

queeq
Let's enjoy it while it lasts.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.