Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Domestic Trailer

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61071

i've never read the books but this looks pretty good from the trailer.

Ms.Marvel
harry potter what?

Kazenji
Huh ?

the only thing i see in common with Harry potter is the 3 kids.

Kazenji
Just came back from seeing and enjoyed it maybe a lil more then Harry Potter

then again i like do like all the Greek mythology stuff.

Digi
Originally posted by Kazenji
Huh ?

Joking, yes? From all that I've seen (only trailers, granted) this movie is in the exact same idiom as the Potter films and is clearly targeting a similar audience.

I'm a sucker for mythology, so I'll probably see it. But it does seem a bit kiddish.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Digi

I'm a sucker for mythology, so I'll probably see it. But it does seem a bit kiddish.

Did'nt feel kiddish to me while watching, see the characters getting cuts and bleeding stuff like that.

MildPossession
It's even got one of the Harry Potter directors. I'm sure other films before Harry Potter had three or so kids battling creatures and so on in too... Young Sherlock Holmes is one example(in uni though). And that's one film that is brought up quite a lot when describing Harry Potter and its originality. stick out tongue

It's a dvd wait for me, not rushing to see it.

Mairuzu
DVD it is

That ACDC Chick
im going with my sister to see this tomorrow dancing

the books were epicly awesome, and since im a nerd and read the books first, i get to complain about differences!!!
Grover isnt black, he was a pasty red headed hippie white boy in the books
Annabeth was a blonde
Percy doesnt get the shield till the end of book two
they were only 12 in the first book

tevaz87roni
Originally posted by Kazenji
Huh ?

laughing eek! laughing eek! big grin lol

Tired-Hiker
The font for the movie title is totally the same as Harry Potter, I'm so not seeing this.

super pr*xy
i'm watching this. looks good.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Tired-Hiker
The font for the movie title is totally the same as Harry Potter, I'm so not seeing this.

Agreed. The first thing i felt when i first saw the trailer was...,TO SOON!!!. There is no excuse for this movie being released before the final Potter movie. Chris Columbus is an excellent director. He certainly captured the magic of Hogwarts very well, but come on. Let the Potter thing finish it's run. Not a classy move at all.

With that said, the movie definitely looks interesting.

Tired-Hiker
Yeah, I'll probably go see it opening night.

jinXed by JaNx
You let me know if it's worth the $20 and i'll let you know how cop out, turns out ;-) laughing out loud

Tired-Hiker
wink

That ACDC Chick
Originally posted by Tired-Hiker
it is?
http://percyjacksonmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Percy-Jackson-Movie-Poster-1.jpg

That ACDC Chick
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Agreed. The first thing i felt when i first saw the trailer was...,TO SOON!!!. There is no excuse for this movie being released before the final Potter movie. Chris Columbus is an excellent director. He certainly captured the magic of Hogwarts very well, but come on. Let the Potter thing finish it's run. Not a classy move at all.

With that said, the movie definitely looks interesting.
hes not even directing the last two Harry Potters
he hasnt directed them since Chamber of Secrets

David Yates is directing Deathly Hallows

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by That ACDC Chick
hes not even directing the last two Harry Potters
he hasnt directed them since Chamber of Secrets

David Yates is directing Deathly Hallows

lol yeah, i know. Perhaps, i worded my thoughts poorly, which i usually do. It would have been cool to let the Potter franchise finish it's cycle before introducing a new and similar type of series to the film world. Having too many fantasy sagas being told all at the same time negates some of the magic as the genre begins to feel mundane.

I'm sure kids, families and adults will most definitely latch onto this saga just as they did with the, Potter franchise. Considering that the series is starting out with a talented director whom is quite experienced in filming fantasy/adventure i have no doubt this series will see all of the books made into film. I'm sure they will be quite good as well. This is just me being overly critical, and stupid though. It really doesn't matter. I'll see anything with magic and monsters. laughing out loud

That ACDC Chick
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
lol yeah, i know. Perhaps, i worded my thoughts poorly, which i usually do. It would have been cool to let the Potter franchise finish it's cycle before introducing a new and similar type of series to the film world. Having too many fantasy sagas being told all at the same time negates some of the magic as the genre begins to feel mundane.

I'm sure kids, families and adults will most definitely latch onto this saga just as they did with the, Potter franchise. Considering that the series is starting out with a talented director whom is quite experienced in filming fantasy/adventure i have no doubt this series will see all of the books made into film. I'm sure they will be quite good as well. This is just me being overly critical, and stupid though. It really doesn't matter. I'll see anything with magic and monsters. laughing out loud
really, besides the whole magicesque thing in the two, Harry Potter and Percy Jackson arent similar in any way hmm
so they might "latch on" to the franchise for that to start off with cause of the reason you gave, and theyll either love it cause its something new, or hate it cause it is new

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Digi
Joking, yes? From all that I've seen (only trailers, granted) this movie is in the exact same idiom as the Potter films and is clearly targeting a similar audience.

I'm a sucker for mythology, so I'll probably see it. But it does seem a bit kiddish. The producers said they were targeting the same audience, IMO they'd be fools not to.

That ACDC Chick
just got back from seeing it
it really rocked yinz guys

Kazenji
With Hades in this movie when you first see him in his big demon form remindind me of Mephisto from the Ghost Rider comics.

That ACDC Chick
i was reminded of Chernabog haermm
the Hellhounds were pretty scary looking, they reminded me of the Vorcha from Mass Effect

Tired-Hiker
it is?
http://percyjacksonmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Percy-Jackson-Movie-Poster-1.jpg

Yeah, just what I said. WTF??

AsbestosFlaygon
Movie sucked

FistOfThe North
i would've watched this if it wasn't so kiddish.

The Nuul
Just saw this, this movie has cheesy CGI and this film sucks.

Tired-Hiker
I saw this the other day and I really liked it a lot. Some of the CG was great, some was a bit poor but forgivable. Overall I thought it was definately worth seeing. I was thoroughly entertained. Also, stay well into the credits to see a pretty damn funny scene.

Bardock42
Saw the trailer of this at the London MCM Expo last year next to Avatar. Thought it looked vastly superior to that. Will watch it.

Impediment
I heard that this film is an aspiring franchise similar to Harry Potter. I dunno about this.

I genuinely love Greek mythology, but mixing it with Potter-esque movie themes seems meh.

LanceWindu
If you don't read the book, the movie is actually pretty good.

However, having read the book...the movie has a few similar plot points, and character names but that's it. They changed the main villain (and that is a MAJOR plot point in the entire series of books).

They took it and made it into a Hollywood production and took away everything that made the book what it was.

I know that people complain about changes from book to film, and I'm usually one to look past that, but the sheer amount that was changed in the transition made this movie a bomb for me.

RQTBallGirl
I completely agree with LanceWindu. I am a high school history teacher, and I actually read this book in school two years ago for a book club we do...I couldn't wait to see the movie because the books are GREAT!
Absolutely let down...Things that were of the upmost importance in the book were barely mentioned or just left out completely. sad

Tired-Hiker
Originally posted by Impediment
I heard that this film is an aspiring franchise similar to Harry Potter. I dunno about this.

I genuinely love Greek mythology, but mixing it with Potter-esque movie themes seems meh.

Well, Harry Potter borrows from all kinds of myths and fantasy elements to begin with. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?Originally posted by LanceWindu
If you don't read the book, the movie is actually pretty good.

However, having read the book...the movie has a few similar plot points, and character names but that's it. They changed the main villain (and that is a MAJOR plot point in the entire series of books).

They took it and made it into a Hollywood production and took away everything that made the book what it was.

I know that people complain about changes from book to film, and I'm usually one to look past that, but the sheer amount that was changed in the transition made this movie a bomb for me. I'll probably love the books then. I'll have to start reading them.

LanceWindu
The books follow the "Harry Potter" theme more than the movie, but any comparisons to the two stop at the school type area and 3 main friends. While Harry Potter takes place at Hogwarts, Percy Jackson goes to a camp for demigods and the chunk of each story takes place away from camp while the characters go on quests throughout America.

If you like Harry Potter, you will like Percy Jackson, but it is not a copy.

Tired-Hiker
Sounds perfect. Thanks, Ken.

dadudemon
just got back from seeing it
it really rocked yinz guys

K.

I'll have to check it out, then.

NemeBro
Rosario Dawson is hot.

Just throwing that out there.

LanceWindu
Where did that come from? laughing

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by NemeBro
Rosario Dawson is hot.

Just throwing that out there. **** yeah she is.

Robtard
Originally posted by NemeBro
Rosario Dawson is hot.

Just throwing that out there.

Amen.

You see her large and luscious boobs in Alexander (2004), down side, she's got a large hairy bush in that.

xJLxKing
I saw his movie. It was disappointing. It's more of a movie to please people 13 yrs and younger

Bicnarok
Originally posted by xJLxKing
I saw his movie. It was disappointing. It's more of a movie to please people 13 yrs and younger

I agree, a bit daft when you think about it.

But nice effects and scenes all the same.

Tired-Hiker
I think it's a fun movie for all ages. Kind of like the Potter stories. It's one of those 'bridge the age gap' things. Parents and kids can read them without feeling funny about it.

xJLxKing
I don't know. The fact that the fight scenes and stuff like that looked really bad. It didn't look believable. I was expecting the Minotaur fight to be nice and flash. It was short and it wasn't nice. I don't know, maybe I was expecting too much.

Hopefully, Clash of the Titans is way better

Tired-Hiker
Yeah, I'm excited to see Clash Of The Titans.

Rogue Jedi
Not bad. Rosario Dawson droolio

jinXed by JaNx
I was surprised by this movie. I originally decided to avoid this movie because i thought it was going to be another fluffy childrens movie trying to cash on the current fantasy craze. It's obviously directed towards the young teen demographic but i was surprised with how well made the movie was.

I recently watched, The Vampires assistant. That was another movie i had originally planned on avoiding for the exact same reasons but was pleasantly surprised. I thought, The vampires assistant was actually more than a Teen/family movie. It reminded me of this generations, My best friend is a vampire. I don't think, The lightning thief is a classic in the same way, Vampires assistant, was but it certainly surprised me in the same way. After seeing this i can only wonder how the last four, Harry Potter movies would have turned out had Columbus stayed with the franchise. This director is great at creating a fantasy atmosphere. So, yeah, this movie wasnt anything special but it's certainly not a throw away movie either

Rogue Jedi
My only complaint was Medusa, she was shit.

Impediment
I just got through watching this after renting it from the PSN.

This movie was pretty cheesy. And I mean that in a bad way.

The CGI was decent enough, but the acting was deplorable, even from veteran actors like Joey Pants and Sean Bean.

It was worth a watch, I admit, but it is definitely nothing that I'd own.

Rogue Jedi
I got it for free from Rob.

Medusa sucked ass.

Impediment
I felt like I was watching a Nickelodeon movie. Seriously. It was just too kid friendly. Even the Harry Potter franchise has darker tones than this film. At least we got to see Wormtail cut off his hand and Cedric Diggory die in GOF.

All Lightning Thief had was a few cuts and scrapes, and some really bad humor by the black satyr.

Rogue Jedi
Target audience, bro.

K.Diddy
beer I finally got around to seeing this last night,and I have to admit,I loved it,the scenes with medusa really stood out for me,although I felt the ending could of been a bit better,but overall I was very happy with this film

Rogue Jedi
I liked the scene with the Hydra, and the scenes from the Underworld.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I liked the scene with the Hydra, and the scenes from the Underworld.

erm Was the Hydra that thing with all the heads?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by K.Diddy
erm Was the Hydra that thing with all the heads? Mhm. To be honest, the Medusa scenes sucked balls IMO.

Bloinky
I saw the movie first and liked it. Now, I'm reading the series and its a billion times better and intense. I now see the movie too kidish and a disgrace to the first book.

Rogue Jedi
I gotta amazon the books.

K.Diddy
Mhm. To be honest, the Medusa scenes sucked balls IMO.

Yeah,the hydra was a good scene,I just liked the Medusa scene mainly because I found the whole ''Statue Garden'' thing a bit creepy,it reminded me of ''The wheelies'' out of return to Oz for some reason,I found the ''Las Vegas'' scenes fun as well.

residentevil3D
trailer seems good.. lets watch this movie later anyways..

K.Diddy
Originally posted by residentevil3D
trailer seems good.. lets watch this movie later anyways..

erm Your getting really annoying

Davis Bloome
I'm actually interested in eventually seeing this movie, largely because I'm a big Greek Mythology fan, so I'd like to see how good or bad this movie actually is. From what I can tell the reaction is generally mixed.

Impediment
It's for kids, man. It's even more bubblegum that the first Harry Potter flick was. However, that doesn't make it a bad film, in my opinion.

The mythology is right, more or less, but the delivery was just cheesetastic. The sponsor of the film should have been Cheez Whiz.

It was a fun film to watch with my kid, but it's nothing that I'd ever buy.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by K.Diddy
Yeah,the hydra was a good scene,I just liked the Medusa scene mainly because I found the whole ''Statue Garden'' thing a bit creepy,it reminded me of ''The wheelies'' out of return to Oz for some reason,I found the ''Las Vegas'' scenes fun as well.

Percy sticks his hand in the water, his wounds heal, AWESOME. eek!

K.Diddy
Percy sticks his hand in the water, his wounds heal, AWESOME. eek!

laughing out loud

Rogue Jedi
One thing I didn't get is that AnnaBeth was kicking his ass, then all of a sudden BAM he's like Maximus with a sword.

Hewhoknowsall
The movie was decent but completely screwed up the plot from the books.

omgchos
I coulda made some Hellboy sized nachos from all the cheese that oozed from this movie.

omgchos
One thing I didn't get is that AnnaBeth was kicking his ass, then all of a sudden BAM he's like Maximus with a sword.
Yeah apparently water makes him good with a sword......... sigh.

Rogue Jedi
Well, Poseidon was heard in the background saying that the water gives Percy power.

K.Diddy
Well, Poseidon was heard in the background saying that the water gives Percy power.
confused Wasn't Poseidon the god of water or something?

Rogue Jedi
God of the seas.

K.Diddy
God of the seas.

smokin' Well,In that case I guess it does make sense that Percy gets power from water

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.