How far could Spiderman Toss?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tha C-Master
http://i46.tinypic.com/2s0dcw7.jpg

Spiderman is at his best strength, pissed off or whatever it takes, he is utilizing his full strength here. At any time in his career bar Captian Universe of course. And no Symbiote Spiderman did not have improved strength, so lets not discuss that.

None of these characters are resisting in any way, they just lie there. If they are too large for him to wrap his arms around, they have a harness to assist him in their throw. The harness is magical and adds no weight.

This takes place in a baseball stadium. Would they land somewhere on the field, on the bleachers, or would it be a "home run"? How many could he home run? He is not exhausted after any toss.

The people he is throwing (not necessarily in lowest to highest weight):

1. Daredevil
2. Batman
3. Wolverine
4. Lobo
5. Colossus
6. Juggernaut
7. Hulk
8. Thor
9.Superman
10. Thanos

Discuss.

tideoftime
1. Daredevil
2. Batman
3. Wolverine
4. Lobo
5. Colossus
6. Juggernaut
7. Hulk
8. Thor
9.Superman
10. Thanos

Assuming Spiderman's better/upper range conventional strength (more than 10 tons, to a range of, say, 12-20 or so, which represents him pushing it/being super-pissed), then the math works out fairly easily, for the most part:

The more "conventionally" weighted people (Daredevil, Batman, Wolverine) could be sent out of the ball park, theoretically, with enough spin on Pete's part (covering a flat arc range of about 200-400 yards, depending on wind and such).

The heavier/somewhat more "immovable" do to nature of powers/status, etc, such as Thor, Superman, and Lobo, would make it to the stands, with "just over the fence" and "nose-bleed section" depending on outside circumstances.

The "vehicle-heavy" brutes (Colossus, Hulk, Juggernaut, and Thanos) would range from second base to the fence, depending on circumstances and specific weight (which has some variableness to them, depending on what point in their existence you choose); but still, in general, top o' the diamond to outer field or so, and not beyond 100 yards, even with the most generous allowances.

How's that sound?

Tha C-Master
Not too bad and thanks for the reply. I'd say Spiderman's best feats put him over the 50 range though and close to the 100 range, even though he's only done them a few time (like swinging a tank like a baseball bat). Superman is only about what 220 lbs or something if I'm not mistaken, does he have a different density? Thor is what about 600? Not sure about Lobo's actual weight.

Colossus-Big C
spiderman lifts 20,000 pounds these people weight like 250-500 pounds

1. Daredevil- atleast 5 mile s
2. Batman-see above
3. Wolverine-1 mile
4. Lobo dont know
5. Colossus- 1/2 mile
6. Juggernaut 1/4 mile
7. Hulk 1/4 mile
8. Thor- 1/2 mile
9.Superman
10. Thanos

Discuss.

Tha C-Master
Yea it's harder to find "big guys" without them being "too big".

There is an art in throwing tough and some characters would provide more wind resistance or fall better. But based on this would you say he bfr's said characters?

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
Yea it's harder to find "big guys" without them being "too big".

There is an art in throwing tough and some characters would provide more wind resistance or fall better. But based on this would you say he bfr's said characters? in a fight no. they wouldnt let spider man lift them

Starscream M
no one is getting thrown anywhere near out of the park.

throwing batman for spiderman is not easier than throwing a baseball for a strong human.

a strong human cannot throw a baseball (which is aerodynamic) out of the park. Spiderman will not be able to throw anyone out of the park. He can throw daredevil and batman upwards of 100 feet or more.

Guys like hulk and juggernaut, I doubt spiderman can throw them more than 20 feet...as it would be hard to even grip them properly.

tideoftime
Pete doing the 50-100 range is outside the norm, and is reflective of serious circumstantial/setting/writer influences, and really shouldn't be used in this question, IMO.

Colossus-Big C: You might want to re-think your math/physics there, as a being capable of benching 10-20 tons is *not* the same as a projective force of the same relative power. Under most circumstances, the best Spiderman could hope for would be clearing about 1/4 mile or so with the lower weight ranges (which is included in my 200-400 yard estimate). Half a mile is *possible*, but unlikely. (And yes, I am keeping in mind that we are talking about comic-book characters/physics, but as the question was posed in a fairly "play it straight" manner, that is how I replied...)

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Starscream M

throwing batman for spiderman is not easier than throwing a baseball for a strong human.

a strong human cannot throw a baseball (which is aerodynamic) out of the park. Spiderman will not be able to throw anyone out of the park. He can throw daredevil and batman upwards of 100 feet or more.

Guys like hulk and juggernaut, I doubt spiderman can throw them more than 20 feet...as it would be hard to even grip them properly.
grip is nothing. colossus threw a 50foot sentinel into the atmosphere

tideoftime
StarScream: I think you didn't read the original post correctly. Re-read it. Relative size is not major issue to the poster's mind, as he already compensated for it, and I think he was just looking for a "comic-book dramatic but still fairly grounded result" answer to the above listed characters.

Starscream M
unless you think its easier for spiderman to throw batman than for you to throw a baseball, you would realize he can't throw anyone beyond 150 feet.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
in a fight no. they wouldnt let spider man lift them I know that, most of them wouldn't get thrown that far, but he could "lift them".

Guys like hulk and juggernaut, I doubt spiderman can throw them more than 20 feet...as it would be hard to even grip them properly. He could do it by the leg..... The crocodile is heavier than the human. Spiderman is far stronger than the comparison to a human and a baseball.Originally posted by tideoftime
Pete doing the 50-100 range is outside the norm, and is reflective of serious circumstantial/setting/writer influences, and really shouldn't be used in this question, IMO.

Colossus-Big C: You might want to re-think your math/physics there, as a being capable of benching 10-20 tons is *not* the same as a projective force of the same relative power. Under most circumstances, the best Spiderman could hope for would be clearing about 1/4 mile or so with the lower weight ranges (which is included in my 200-400 yard estimate). Half a mile is *possible*, but unlikely. (And yes, I am keeping in mind that we are talking about comic-book characters/physics, but as the question was posed in a fairly "play it straight" manner, that is how I replied...) I see what you mean. I consider Peter about a class 10-20 myself, however like a human he is capable of great feats under duress. He flipped a subcar with the flick of a finger. Considering a human's strength can increase like 5-10x in an adrenalized state, he would be capable of it for a short period time. Thus he could do those feats for a split second. It is not his normal "strength" at all. That's his "save Aunt May/Mary Jane" strength. Hence why I said "best strength ever at any time".

But people do resist wind differently than say a baseball or a bullet so that must be taken into equation.

Starscream M
Originally posted by tideoftime
StarScream: I think you didn't read the original post correctly. Re-read it. Relative size is not major issue to the poster's mind, as he already compensated for it, and I think he was just looking for a "comic-book dramatic but still fairly grounded result" answer to the above listed characters. ah I see. I would increase my distances by doubling them perhaps, but I still don't see homeruns happening.

Colossus-Big C
unless you think its easier for spiderman to throw batman than for you to throw a baseball, you would realize he can't throw anyone beyond 150 feet.

a human lifts atleast 100 pounds a base ball weights 2 pounds
spider man lifts 20,000-40,000 pounds batman wiehgts 250pounds

you cant compare that

Tha C-Master
100x100 is 10,000

2x100 is 200, and baseballs do resist the air better. Then again it isn't really comparable in other aspects. Since nobody of human size could toss another adult human much farther than about 20 feet or so, and that is with a harness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QicKi5k068

Colossus-Big C
a human can not throw another human 20 feet.
maybe 5 feet if he is lucky especialy if there heavier than them

Tha C-Master
Look at the vid, how far would you say that is? Of course the guy is bigger, but still.

Colossus-Big C
Look at the vid, how far would you say that is? Of course the guy is bigger, but still. thats about 10 feet

Tha C-Master
Is it? I didn't see an official number and I guesstimated. Is there an official recording of the distance? Looked more like 20 to me.

Starscream M
Is it? I didn't see an official number and I guesstimated. Is there an official recording of the distance? Looked more like 20 to me. i think it was about 12 - 15 feet

Tha C-Master
It might have been somewhere between 3 and 5 meters.

starlock
Its spidey guys...no need for harness or anything for grip!(i would think).....he sticks to things...and has webbing.....anyway i can only apply comic book physics...

Daredevil ,Batman,Wolverine...Out of the ballpark...BFR!

Lobo,Superman,Thor.....Home run!!!!!could be bleachers..def over the wall.

Colossus,Hulk,Juggernaut......outfield.....juggs might be shallow outfield.

I think anybody trying to make this real life physics...is out of their mind... eek!

tideoftime
Starlock: Yeah, I *do* know what you mean... My responses were based on using credible applications of *incredible* occurances, and trying to find the median point between "that's not remotely real anyway, so who cares" and "dramatically appropriate to the comicbook setting"...

Funny, though, how your answers and mine more or less jibe, isn't it? wink

Scoobless
I doubt spiderman can throw them more than 20 feet...as it would be hard to even grip them properly.

It's Spider-Man .... he can grip stuff with his fingertips.

stick out tongue

Kris Blaze
lmfao at the opening pic.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by starlock
Its spidey guys...no need for harness or anything for grip!(i would think).....he sticks to things...and has webbing.....anyway i can only apply comic book physics...

Daredevil ,Batman,Wolverine...Out of the ballpark...BFR!

Lobo,Superman,Thor.....Home run!!!!!could be bleachers..def over the wall.

Colossus,Hulk,Juggernaut......outfield.....juggs might be shallow outfield.

I think anybody trying to make this real life physics...is out of their mind... eek! I meant for throwing leverage, I know he could stick to it. But throwing it would give him better leverage. Now I ask again, isn't Superman density pretty normal, pardon my ignorance. I thought and discussed before and we figured he was about 230-300 lbs or so.

Parmaniac
I meant for throwing leverage, I know he could stick to it. But throwing it would give him better leverage. Now I ask again, isn't Superman density pretty normal, pardon my ignorance. I thought and discussed before and we figured he was about 230-300 lbs or so.

Tought the same the only "heavyweights" here are Juggs, Hulk and Colossus, Colossus is the heaviest IMO

Tha C-Master
I think Juggs is considered 900, Hulk is a bit over 1,000 lbs. That may be outdated though. I thought Thanos wold be heavier.

golem370
WWH 1,800 Juggernaut 900lbs

Parmaniac
I think Juggs is considered 900, Hulk is a bit over 1,000 lbs. That may be outdated though. I thought Thanos wold be heavier.

Oh yeah Thanos forgot about him, yeah somewhere on Juggs/Hulk weightlevel, but that fluctuates pretty much I guess, depending on the writer/artist etc. sometimes Hulk looks like an extremly bulk man and sometimes like 5m Monster

Colossus-Big C
I think Juggs is considered 900, Hulk is a bit over 1,000 lbs. That may be outdated though. I thought Thanos wold be heavier. colossus metal body was stated as being 2,000 pounds once. but now they have him at 300pounds which is retarded. being that metal statues his size weights up to 3,000 pounds

golem370
Colossus was 550 Thanos 985 where does it say that Colossus weights 3,000 lbs

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by golem370
Colossus was 550 Thanos 985 where does it say that Colossus weights 3,000 lbs classic colossus WAS said to be 2,000 pounds.

but you realy think a 6.5 guy made entirely out of dense metal weights 500pounds?

golem370
I have never heard or a 2,000 lbs Colossus I mean Destroyer armor is said only to weight 850lbs. Colossus use to be 7foot to 7foot5

Colossus- http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/c/colossus.htm

golem370
Spider-Man could toss them better when tethered to a rope

Tha C-Master
colossus metal body was stated as being 2,000 pounds once. but now they have him at 300pounds which is retarded. being that metal statues his size weights up to 3,000 pounds That is light, but it'd help him move better. 300 lbs makes him as heavy as Logan which means he could be tossed pretty far.

3,000 lbs seems really heavy. I guess it depends on the concept of his organic metal really.

-Pr-
colossus is somewhere between 1 and 2 tons in metal form.

Colossus-Big C
I have never heard or a 2,000 lbs Colossus I mean Destroyer armor is said only to weight 850lbs. Colossus use to be 7foot to 7foot5

Colossus- http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/c/colossus.htm

colossus and destroyer armor are same height (when destroyer at human size)they should weight the same being both are solid metal.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by -Pr-
colossus is somewhere between 1 and 2 tons in metal form. 2,000-4,000 lbs? My god, he's heavier than Juggs and Hulk.

-Pr-
2,000-4,000 lbs? My god, he's heavier than Juggs and Hulk.

he is?

Tha C-Master
Well maybe using my outdated descriptions, I read Cain was 900, is that current?

-Pr-
Well maybe using my outdated descriptions, I read Cain was 900, is that current?

i dunno. could be, i guess...

Tha C-Master
That's why I was saying 1-2 tons seemed heavier than I expected.

Colossus-Big C
That's why I was saying 1-2 tons seemed heavier than I expected. look up osmium its the heaviest metal in existance.

colossus is compared to osmium

Tha C-Master
Is that in density or toughness? Something can be very tough without being dense, especially in fiction.

Colossus-Big C
Is that in density or toughness? Something can be very tough without being dense, especially in fiction. density.

Tha C-Master
Impressive, but that is still dense, I guess the weight wouldn't really matter to a high multiton character.

Scoobless
colossus and destroyer armor are same height (when destroyer at human size)they should weight the same being both are solid metal.

Kinda like how lead and aluminium would weigh the same given the same dimensions?

Colossus' metal form has often been said to weigh in at around 500lbs

Tha C-Master
I'd say I thought he was around 700 lbs or so. Hasn't Wolverine tossed him once or twice? Or easily tackled him?

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by starlock
Its spidey guys...no need for harness or anything for grip!(i would think).....he sticks to things...and has webbing
Spider-Man could toss them better when tethered to a rope
Yeah. That sounds like something he'd do in character even to increase his distance even given his science skills.

Originally posted by Kris Blaze
lmfao at the opening pic.
Seconded.

Tha C-Master
Maybe I should have had two stips then.

K-Dog
Throwing distance would be a combo of strength but nobody has mentioned SPEED. Like mentioned, a human can throw a baseball maybe 300 feet or so and even if the ball was lighter you can't throw it much further cuz we are limited by muscle contraction speed. Spidey is superhumanly fast.
Just my guess: the lighter guys go about 1/3 mile and the heavier guys go 1/6 mile or less.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by K-Dog
Throwing distance would be a combo of strength but nobody has mentioned SPEED. Like mentioned, a human can throw a baseball maybe 300 feet or so and even if the ball was lighter you can't throw it much further cuz we are limited by muscle contraction speed. Spidey is superhumanly fast.
Just my guess: the lighter guys go about 1/3 mile and the heavier guys go 1/6 mile or less. Well the functional strength and stabilizers also allows for greater acceleration as well. That is a good point you brought up though, and would you say that distance would increase much if he web tossed them?

r0nm0n88

there are many people who can throw a baseball out of a baseball park.

SamZED
Comparing Spider-man tossing a normal guy to a normal guy toosing a baseball is a false logic. It doesnt work that way.

Tha C-Master
Interesting, what would you say are the biggest changes?

Doctor-Alvis
Spider-man wears blue and red pajamas everywhere.

Tha C-Master
So it would even out otherwise then?

Doctor-Alvis
Yes. I think that's the only difference between Spider-man and a normal man.

SamZED
Interesting, what would you say are the biggest changes? Maybe if we took comicbook peak humans tossing a baseball that logic would've worked but it definitely doesnt with the real life humans, i mean spiderman can throw a car with one hand further than that. Every char in the thread is under half a ton. He can send them flying pretty darn far. And im talking several football fields far.

valtiz
spider-man is able to throw cars and an ordenery private car weights around 2 tons so someone who weights 200 lbs will be a walk in the park for him and be sent flying really really far away somewhere under the rainbow

Tha C-Master
Not including the tank swing.

bbrem123
i think the heaviest one there is thanos which is something around 950lbs...should be able to throw them all pretty far

Tha C-Master
So that is what he weighs. I guess that sounds about right.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by valtiz
spider-man is able to throw cars and an ordenery private car weights around 2 tons so someone who weights 200 lbs will be a walk in the park for him and be sent flying really really far away somewhere under the rainbow thumb up

Tha C-Master
Would they get a pot of gold?

h1a8
Assuming Spidey can exert 20tons maximum, spidey accelerates the being 1 meter before throw, and neglecting air resistance then Spidey throws

1. About 1600 feet (weighs about 160lb) Homerun
2. About 1450 feet (weighs about 180lb) Homerun
3. About 600 feet (weighs about 400lb right?) Homerun
4. About 164 feet (weighs about 1600lb) Shallow Outfield

8. About 276 feet (weighs about 950lb) Mid Outfield

If Spidey can exert 40 tons (he has several of these feats) then double these numbers. If Spidey can exert 100 tons (he has several class 100 feats) then multiply these numbers by 5.

In reality air resistance should knock a fraction off these numbers. The more stronger spidey is then the larger the fraction gets knocked off.

Tha C-Master
You mean the larger percentage or amount? Because the percentage could be the same but it would take more off at higher velocities of course.

h1a8
You mean the larger percentage or amount? Because the percentage could be the same but it would take more off at higher velocities of course.

Drag force is proportional to the square of the velocity. So if you throw something twice as fast then you gain 4 times the drag (retarding force).

So the object will go farther is thrown faster. You just get the law of diminishing returns.

Tha C-Master
Ok, I get what you are saying now. Although another thing to consider is that the objects thrown won't propel perfectly and the drag will vary at certain stages of the toss, but that may be too technical.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by bbrem123
i think the heaviest one there is thanos which is something around 950lbs...should be able to throw them all pretty far juggernaut weights a thousand pounds, though it would look weird seeing spiderman lift or even through someone that size
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Rz9f76JFsx8/Sdi3UYCd7qI/AAAAAAAAAGU/sDNzeKQy2Rs/s400/hulk%2520vs%2520spidey.jpg

SamZED
That'd look weird in comics because that'd embarras someone like Juggernaut and Hulk and would make fanboys go "NOOO! Hulk is teh strgezt!!!" But logically Spider-man should be able to easilly lift and toss Juggernaut for several blocks with one arm.

Parmaniac
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3158/hulk2d.jpg
shifty

Mindship
Any character below 300 pounds or so gets tossed 450 to 730 ft.
For 1000 lbs: see gator toss.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by h1a8
Assuming Spidey can exert 20tons maximum, spidey accelerates the being 1 meter before throw, and neglecting air resistance then Spidey throws

1. About 1600 feet (weighs about 160lb) Homerun
2. About 1450 feet (weighs about 180lb) Homerun
3. About 600 feet (weighs about 400lb right?) Homerun
4. About 164 feet (weighs about 1600lb) Shallow Outfield

8. About 276 feet (weighs about 950lb) Mid Outfield

If Spidey can exert 40 tons (he has several of these feats) then double these numbers. If Spidey can exert 100 tons (he has several class 100 feats) then multiply these numbers by 5.

In reality air resistance should knock a fraction off these numbers. The more stronger spidey is then the larger the fraction gets knocked off. the strength scale is based off of the military press, so the characters total body strength is not known. you don't even use your legs to military press.

spider-man basically did a hammer throw to toss that alligator so the calculation for that is way different (plus 45 degree trajectory has to be accounted for).

simplest way you could do it is to exchange the weights of the characters with the alligator's, but then the alligator's landing point and weight is unknown so..... dead end

SamZED
Originally posted by Parmaniac
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3158/hulk2d.jpg
shifty thumb up forgot about that fight. Spider once bfred Thing. Lifted him and threw him off a building.

psycho gundam
he's only 500 lbs. the rock coating is over dense muscle.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by psycho gundam
he's only 500 lbs. the rock coating is over dense muscle. in reality both thing and colossus would weigh a ton each.

Steel>>>>Rock>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Flesh( in weight)

psycho gundam
irrelevant

Parmaniac
in reality both thing and colossus would weigh a ton each.

Steel>>>>Rock>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Flesh( in weight)
In reality both couldn't move.

namorsubby

Guys like hulk and juggernaut, I doubt spiderman can throw them more than 20 feet...as it would be hard to even grip them properly. grip is nothing to a guy with the powers of a spider

Some of these guys are mega-strong, but logically spidey should be able to throw anyone here quite a ways(not that it would even put a stratch on some of these guys).......none of these guys' weights approach his stated class......and I've seen him throw a jeep through an apartment building.....with one hand.

Tha C-Master
juggernaut weights a thousand pounds, though it would look weird seeing spiderman lift or even through someone that size
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Rz9f76JFsx8/Sdi3UYCd7qI/AAAAAAAAAGU/sDNzeKQy2Rs/s400/hulk%2520vs%2520spidey.jpg Lol at the picture.

Originally posted by psycho gundam
the strength scale is based off of the military press, so the characters total body strength is not known. you don't even use your legs to military press.

spider-man basically did a hammer throw to toss that alligator so the calculation for that is way different (plus 45 degree trajectory has to be accounted for).

simplest way you could do it is to exchange the weights of the characters with the alligator's, but then the alligator's landing point and weight is unknown so..... dead end Your legs do help get it up in a military press though.

psycho gundam
you're not thinking of a military press i think, more like the clean and jerk

Tha C-Master
Your legs aren't primarily used, but you will use your legs to stabilize your weight.

Tha C-Master
Bump!

Colossus-Big C
spiderman can throw juggernaut or hulk for miles

marwash22
a salad?

StiltmanFTW

Wait... so he webbed up its jaw, but he still had to kill it?

Tha C-Master
spiderman can throw juggernaut or hulk for miles Do you mean literal miles? If so how many?

h1a8
http://i46.tinypic.com/2s0dcw7.jpg
Spiderman is at his best strength, pissed off or whatever it takes, he is utilizing his full strength here. At any time in his career bar Captian Universe of course. And no Symbiote Spiderman did not have improved strength, so lets not discuss that.

None of these characters are resisting in any way, they just lie there. If they are too large for him to wrap his arms around, they have a harness to assist him in their throw. The harness is magical and adds no weight.

This takes place in a baseball stadium. Would they land somewhere on the field, on the bleachers, or would it be a "home run"? How many could he home run? He is not exhausted after any toss.

The people he is throwing (not necessarily in lowest to highest weight):

1. Daredevil
2. Batman
3. Wolverine
4. Lobo
5. Colossus
6. Juggernaut
7. Hulk
8. Thor
9.Superman
10. Thanos

Discuss.
I'll use basic physics here and neglect wind resistance.
The throwing angle for maximum range is 45 degrees.

The Range R is given by
R=Vf^2 sin2A / g
where Vf is the velocity of the release, A= is the angle of elevation of the release, and g is acceleration of gravity at the surface of Earth.
If A=45 then R=Vf^2/g since sin90=1.

Now in the throwing phase let's give Spidey a distance D to accelerate the object/person.

We now use the basic kinematic equation
Vf^2-Vi^2=2aD
where Vi is initial velocity (which is 0), and "a" is acceleration.

Vi=0 we get
Vf^2=2aD

Now Total Force exerted =mass x acceleration or
F=ma
=> a=F/m

so Vf^2=2(F/m)D
=2FD/m

and

R=Vf^2/g
=2FD / (mg)
=2FD/W where W=mg is the weight of the object.

So if Spidey is class 40 at best then F=80,000lb and
R=160,000D/W

If we give Spidey D=5ft to sling the object then
R=800,000/W

I will do the lightest (Daredevil) and the heaviest (Lobo)
Daredevil weighs about 170lb I think and Lobo weighs 1600lb.

So Spidey throws Daredevil
4706 feet

and Lobo
500 feet (barely a homerun).

Thus all others are definitely homeruns.

Warlord
my God....

Tha C-Master
Sexy isn't it?

Warlord
in a twisted way I guess

Tha C-Master
Lobo is massive at 1600 lbs.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.