W.W. Bracers vs. B.B. Scream

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BattleMage
Can Wonderwoman's bracelets protect against/stop Black Bolt's scream from harming her? I am very curious.

redhotrash
Am I way off, or dont her bracers only protect her in the small area they cover? They should be effective against like punches or OE beams, but a all emcompassing, electron wrecking scream?

BattleMage

BattleMage

Omega Vision
They'll protect her wrists at the very least.

tideoftime
It depends on the writer and the prominence of the story: she has been affected by sound and not blocked it with her bracers (such as the JLA's most recent run in with Amazo, around #24-28), but has at other times blocked wider area sonic attacks (such as when the Silver Swan attempted to kill Wonder Girl and Diana blocked a wide area by crossing her bracers). Part of the misperception stems from the nature of Diana's bracelets: it isn't simply that they are nigh indestructable -- they are the current physical embodiement of the Aegis, and can repel assaults (especially energy) with much greater effect than their physical size would indicate. Still requires great speed and strength to wield them effectively, however, against powerful attacks... or strickly physical protectiles, such as bullets, et al...

I've seen a number of "mass" blocks in the Respect thread (and in my limited collection of her, as well...)

redhotrash
I cant see it protecting her entirely from a electron based attack that can tear a hole in reality. Also does it completely negate the actual force of the blow, or could she concievably be blown backwards from a powerful enough force?

tideoftime
Originally posted by redhotrash
I cant see it protecting her entirely from a electron based attack that can tear a hole in reality. Also does it completely negate the actual force of the blow, or could she concievably be blown backwards from a powerful enough force?

Oh, she could be knocked backed, even by "lesser" forces if she were caught off guard or such. But she has literally deflected the power of the assembled Olympian gods with her bracers, and that *almost* knocked her off her feet. Without the benefit of surprise, it is *very* difficult to get past her bracers/speed -- it's one of her signature effects.

But it is possible, and IMO might occur if she didn't anticipate how much power BB was dealing out at the time of an "x" attack.

redhotrash
Shes not really the type to underestimate someone, and this thread is more of a "if shes trying to protect herself, can she?" from the sound of it.

tideoftime
Shes not really the type to underestimate someone, and this thread is more of a "if shes trying to protect herself, can she?" from the sound of it.

If it's not circumstantial specific, and just an in general question, then I'd say yes. She's demonstrated being able to repel similar attacks before (though I still reserve the right to say "but maybe not in issue "x", 'cus the writer wanted the story to go differently wink )

Juntai
Originally posted by BattleMage
Can Wonderwoman's bracelets protect against/stop Black Bolt's scream from harming her? I am very curious. Yes.

shiv
Those bracelets don't protect her butt from getting wet in the rain.

chomperx9
what if lightning was to hit her bracelets ?

Doctor-Alvis
When did BB's voice rip a hole in reality?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by chomperx9
I loved the JL episode where WW blocked a bolt of lightning with her bracelets and the Flash said dumbfounded "There are so many reasons why that shouldn't have worked."

BattleMage
Bracers ? how big is the Ora? are her legs protected / abdomen etc?

Doctor-Alvis
Also, has BB ever screamed or is it all still word of mouth?

tideoftime

Yes. Another misperception is the physicality of the bracers -- while "metallic" in terms of touch/seeming, they are in fact the hide of Amalthea, and capable of repelling virtually any attack of virtually any nature.

HOWEVER...

There are plenty of instances where, if WW/Athena/Zeus/whoever couldn't wield them/it in time, or understand *how* to manifest its power, then they wouldn't be of immediate use/protection. (An excellent example in WW's case is posted down in the "Martian Manhunter vs. Magneto" thread; although it has a scan meant to show how MM is vulnerable to heavy magnetic attack, that scan also shows how WW was "physically" held by Dr. Polaris' electrical/magnetic attack -- this was due to her getting caught off guard and not being able to deflect the attack by crossing her bracers, etc, and because while resistant to electrical attack, she isn't as resistant as Captain Marvel, Superman, et al...)

tideoftime
Bracers ? how big is the Ora? are her legs protected / abdomen etc?

It has demonstrated as being that large an area before, in terms of energy attacks. Somebody else (Zeuodin, I presume, but I could be wrong) had posted one of the pics where she manifested the aura of the Aegis, and it seemed to protect her body. Again, this depends on writer/importance of the effect to the story. As we all know, variability is the hallmark of comics. But yes, she has blocked area attacks that are greater than what the bracers size would indicate. It's not like Captain America's shield, where they are simply indestructable. There is a powerful mystical component at work, as well.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I loved the JL episode where WW blocked a bolt of lightning with her bracelets and the Flash said dumbfounded "There are so many reasons why that shouldn't have worked." what was the name of the episode ?

chomperx9
Originally posted by tideoftime
Yes. Another misperception is the physicality of the bracers -- while "metallic" in terms of touch/seeming, they are in fact the hide of Amalthea, and capable of repelling virtually any attack of virtually any nature.

HOWEVER...

There are plenty of instances where, if WW/Athena/Zeus/whoever couldn't wield them/it in time, or understand *how* to manifest its power, then they wouldn't be of immediate use/protection. (An excellent example in WW's case is posted down in the "Martian Manhunter vs. Magneto" thread; although it has a scan meant to show how MM is vulnerable to heavy magnetic attack, that scan also shows how WW was "physically" held by Dr. Polaris' electrical/magnetic attack -- this was due to her getting caught off guard and not being able to deflect the attack by crossing her bracers, etc, and because while resistant to electrical attack, she isn't as resistant as Captain Marvel, Superman, et al...) magneto would still have control over them even if she crosses them cause he can manipulate metal. even if he couldnt manipulate the bracers all he needs is a paperclip to wrap around em

tideoftime
magneto would still have control over them even if she crosses them cause he can manipulate metal. even if he couldnt manipulate the bracers all he needs is a paperclip to wrap around em

*Possibly*

Magneto/Polaris directly affecting the Bracers is very writer/story dependant. Your paperclip example wouldn't cut the mustard, as even Magneto would not be able to focus sufficient power through such a small foci to have that much of an effect on WW (who is nearly as strong as Superman).

However... if he used other, larger, materials to bind/restrain her, then that certainly could have a chance of working, as the bracers wouldn't directly repel such as attack, per se, beyond Diana's attempting to deflect the material in the first place. If Magneto/Polaris used his powers on Promethium (using DC for simplicity's sake) and in turn managed to bind WW with it, then she would be in some serious trouble, as Promethiums resiliance coupled with Mag/Pol 's powers would be difficult to counter, to say the least.

Lord Feron
If she is ready for it then I would say yes. The Scream V.S. her bracers, I believe the bracers should protect her.

chomperx9
but the scream isnt only just gonna hit exactly where she blocks. the scream effects a wide range

tideoftime
but the scream isnt only just gonna hit exactly where she blocks. the scream effects a wide range

?

You didn't read page one of this topic, did you?

Diana's bracers are not like Captain America's shield, in the sense of being "merely" indestructable -- they are the Aegis, and capable of repelling attacks (particularly energy) in a manner greater than their physical presence would indicate. Now, how *large* an area is very much writer/story dependant -- from what I have seen in WW and JL, not much larger than herself/arm's length. So protecting someone else is a dicey thing, and very circumstantial. But protecting her, herself, is well within the pervue of the bracers.

Rage.Of.Olympus
laughing out loud

Konton
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
laughing out loud

sad

Anyway, Diana's bracers would protect her.

bbrem123
she blocks it until it rips a hole in reality where she get sucked into and is never to be heard from again

Zeuodin
His scream would be deflected back upon himself and he would die.

BattleMage
Originally posted by Zeuodin
His scream would be deflected back upon himself and he would die. B.S. roll eyes (sarcastic)

BattleMage
And come to think of it, A scream should break every bone in her body.

Lord Feron

I seen her block wide range attacks, powerful ones at that. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if she would be able to block a wide spread scream.

To be honest Her bracers is a major part of who she is and what she is capable of. Without it she would be far far less formidable.

bbrem123
what if he doesnt stop screaming...it cant be deflected then

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Konton
sad

What's the matter?

tideoftime
B.S. roll eyes (sarcastic)

While IMO, Zeuodin is exaggerating a little (Diana's finessing of obtuse energy attacks like that is very dicey), it isn't completely ungrounded: she done things like that before.

Now, what would happen to BB if she managed to reflect a portion of his attack back at him? I leave that for others to debate...

Lord Feron
His scream would be deflected back upon himself and he would die.

False, BB has complete control of his powers. It's not like a laser, Shoot and forget he controls it completely. If anything trying to deflect it would be a bad idea.

Lord Feron
Originally posted by bbrem123
she blocks it until it rips a hole in reality where she get sucked into and is never to be heard from again

crazier things has happened...

BattleMage
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I loved the JL episode where WW blocked a bolt of lightning with her bracelets and the Flash said dumbfounded "There are so many reasons why that shouldn't have worked." CIS?/PIS? Take your pick. smile

iceman24567
neither actually erm

tideoftime
CIS?/PIS? Take your pick. smile

Because the Bracers did exactly what their supposed to do/have the power to do? (And that's within the context of the relatively underpowered presentations of WW, Superman, and some others, in the series -- in the comics of that same period(2001-2006), they had already been presented as much more powerful/versatile, for years, than the show indicated. Still not a bad series, though...)

chomperx9
I still dont see how she can block the scream 100%. lets say BBs scream is 25 FT width and heigth. WW has her arms crossed covering her head. yeah the scream isnt gonna effect her head but can still attack the lower part of her body. even if WW uses one arm to block the lower part and upper part of her body somewhere around around the middle she will get hit.

and if her bracers protect her all around her body 100% without her having to block there then why does she have to move her bracers to that specific area when someone makes an attack there ?

BattleMage
Bracers ? how big is the Ora? are her legs protected / abdomen etc? ^^ That's what i'm saying.

Zeuodin
The Aura Covers her entire body. Even when the bracers aren't crossed they still give her a low level shield around her entire person.

tideoftime
I still dont see how she can block the scream 100%. lets say BBs scream is 25 FT width and heigth. WW has her arms crossed covering her head. yeah the scream isnt gonna effect her head but can still attack the lower part of her body. even if WW uses one arm to block the lower part and upper part of her body somewhere around around the middle she will get hit.

and if her bracers protect her all around her body 100% without her having to block there then why does she have to move her bracers to that specific area when someone makes an attack there ?

Reposting my post from page 1:

It depends on the writer and the prominence of the story: she has been affected by sound and not blocked it with her bracers (such as the JLA's most recent run in with Amazo, around #24-28), but has at other times blocked wider area sonic attacks (such as when the Silver Swan attempted to kill Wonder Girl and Diana blocked a wide area by crossing her bracers). Part of the misperception stems from the nature of Diana's bracelets: it isn't simply that they are nigh indestructable -- they are the current physical embodiement of the Aegis, and can repel assaults (especially energy) with much greater effect than their physical size would indicate. Still requires great speed and strength to wield them effectively, however, against powerful attacks... or strickly physical protectiles, such as bullets, et al...

I've seen a number of "mass" blocks in the Respect thread (and in my limited collection of her, as well...)

celeyhyga17
So is she affected by sound attacks?

tideoftime
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
So is she affected by sound attacks?

She, personally? Yes. Though she is very resistant to it, as she is to most physical attacks. That's why she would need the Bracers.

Now, WITHOUT them...?

Girlfriend would be in for a world of hurt, at the very least...

Zeuodin
She, personally? Yes. Though she is very resistant to it, as she is to most physical attacks. That's why she would need the Bracers.

Now, WITHOUT them...?

Girlfriend would be in for a world of hurt, at the very least... Everyone is affected by Sound attacks. Even Juggernaut and Superman.

Priest
The Aura Covers her entire body. Even when the bracers aren't crossed they still give her a low level shield around her entire person.
Lies. Don't say that she NVER been taged with a low level attack without her bracers being crossed.

celeyhyga17
Everyone is affected by Sound attacks. Even Juggernaut and Superman.

actually is she able to deflect sound based attacks with bracers. aegis shield and all.

Zeuodin
Originally posted by Priest
Lies. Don't say that she NVER been taged with a low level attack without her bracers being crossed.
What the hell are you talking about? I said the bracers have a low level shield around her. LOW level Shield. As when she fell from a building and commented on the low level shield providing some protection from the fall. What in the HELL are you talking about? Where did I say she has never been tagged by a low level attack? I didn't see that anywhere in my post.

celeyhyga17
low level shield? hmmmm... that i wasn't aware of.

Brutacus
You guy's know it's not the sound from bb that make's the damage right????

tideoftime
actually is she able to deflect sound based attacks with bracers. aegis shield and all.

He was responding in terms of her *not* having her bracers, as in her own physical resistance. (Which I brought up in response to a question about *her* being affected by sound).

tideoftime
Originally posted by Brutacus
You guy's know it's not the sound from bb that make's the damage right????

I am. I think most people here are. Doesn't have any bearing in terms of the Bracers.

Brutacus
Than why are the last few posts about sound,
I know the most people here on kmc know his power just some aren't here for long

Priest
What the hell are you talking about? I said the bracers have a low level shield around her. LOW level Shield. As when she fell from a building and commented on the low level shield providing some protection from the fall. What in the HELL are you talking about? Where did I say she has never been tagged by a low level attack? I didn't see that anywhere in my post.
If she has a low lever shield around her consistently wouldn't a competent individual assume that she can be invulnerable to a low level attack such as a punch from Batman?

tideoftime
Originally posted by Priest
If she has a low lever shield around her consistently wouldn't a competent individual assume that she can be invulnerable to a low level attack such as a punch from Batman?

She isn't "affected" by a low level attack, such as a punch from Batman. When they spar in various issues of JL, her resistance from harm is more than sufficient to protect her. The last time someone of mortal strength could harm WW... lord, you'd almost have to go back to Pre-Crisis. And the WW of the past decade or so is the most durable she's ever been.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by Brutacus
Than why are the last few posts about sound,
I know the most people here on kmc know his power just some aren't here for long

i thought he does some sort of hypersonic attack through the harnessing and manipulation of electrons..... how is sound not involved??!?!?!

Brutacus
i thought he does some sort of hypersonic attack through the harnessing and manipulation of electrons..... how is sound not involved??!?!?! It's not sound based iff it was than wwh would have field day on the moon

tideoftime
i thought he does some sort of hypersonic attack through the harnessing and manipulation of electrons..... how is sound not involved??!?!?!

I think he was trying to say that it isn't just a purely sonic attack, in the sense of Black Canary's sonic-scream, for example. There's a bit more to it than that. But again, doesn't make any difference in this particular case.

celeyhyga17
that i know.

chomperx9
is black bolts scream more deadly than black canarys ?

iceman24567
is black bolts scream more deadly than black canarys ? no expression

chomperx9
Originally posted by iceman24567
no expression does that mean yes or no ?

im gonna take a guess and say yes since he can move cities with his scream. black canary can knock down afew buildings.

Wei Phoenix
is black bolts scream more deadly than black canarys ? Originally posted by iceman24567
no expression

iceman24567
does that mean yes or no ?

im gonna take a guess and say yes since he can move cities with his scream. black canary can knock down afew buildings. If you already knew why ask?

D_Dude1210
is black bolts scream more deadly than black canarys ?

no expression

chomperx9
If you already knew why ask? was bored lol

D_Dude1210
Here's a question: Has anything ever affected her through the bracers before?

tideoftime
Originally posted by D_Dude1210
Here's a question: Has anything ever affected her through the bracers before?

As such? No. In Post-Crisis continuity (when the concept of what the bracers were was changed, and in later issues expanded on) the power of the bracers has never failed or been overcome. Now, has this been played up/down in various stories? Absolutely. In stories where it wasn't a desired effect (such as the before mentioned most recent fight with Amazo, where Diana didn't deflect/resist his sonic attack with her bracers, while in many other stories she has blocked area sonic(et al) attacks) then it is fair to say "it didn't work", at least from a story POV. But in general concept, no.

And keep in mind, her Aegis-effect, when it does happen, has usually demonstrated as being most effective against energy attacks, or repelling the power of gods; against gross physical attacks (bullets, fists, Aunt May with a frying pan) she has to use her speed/strength to intercept the attack with her bracers, however much a tiny fraction of a second it requires, so it still isn't an absolute panacea against *all* forms of attack. (Though the one scan from a JL story where she was deflecting multiple rapid-fire attacks from a full circle around her was pretty impressive).

It's late... I am tired... tired of defending WW... will sleep, and see if somebody new gets picked on tomorrow...

chomperx9
As such? No. In Post-Crisis continuity (when the concept of what the bracers were was changed, and in later issues expanded on) the power of the bracers has never failed or been overcome. Now, has this been played up/down in various stories? Absolutely. In stories where it wasn't a desired effect (such as the before mentioned most recent fight with Amazo, where Diana didn't deflect/resist his sonic attack with her bracers, while in many other stories she has blocked area sonic(et al) attacks) then it is fair to say "it didn't work", at least from a story POV. But in general concept, no.

And keep in mind, her Aegis-effect, when it does happen, has usually demonstrated as being most effective against energy attacks, or repelling the power of gods; against gross physical attacks (bullets, fists, Aunt May with a frying pan) she has to use her speed/strength to intercept the attack with her bracers, however much a tiny fraction of a second it requires, so it still isn't an absolute panacea against *all* forms of attack. (Though the one scan from a JL story where she was deflecting multiple rapid-fire attacks from a full circle around her was pretty impressive).

It's late... I am tired... tired of defending WW... will sleep, and see if somebody new gets picked on tomorrow... you dont to defend WW if you dont want to.

D_Dude1210

It's late... I am tired... tired of defending WW... will sleep, and see if somebody new gets picked on tomorrow...

Why feel the need to defend WW? stick out tongue and why allude to the possibility of her getting picked on?

I was simply asking a fair question to come to a more logical conclusion as to who can win here. Truth of the matter is, I concede the fact that I don't know that much about WW (especially compared to the numerous other more learned posters here-such as yourself).

Anyway, if the Aegis effect has never been penetrated, then how is it possible for her opponents to even hurt her?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Juntai
Yes.

D_Dude1210
Is this:

Yes.

an answer to this:

Anyway, if the Aegis effect has never been penetrated, then how is it possible for her opponents to even hurt her?

?

tideoftime
Why feel the need to defend WW? stick out tongue and why allude to the possibility of her getting picked on?

I was simply asking a fair question to come to a more logical conclusion as to who can win here. Truth of the matter is, I concede the fact that I don't know that much about WW (especially compared to the numerous other more learned posters here-such as yourself).

Gotta get the kid ready for school, but in short:

I specified that the effect varies depending on the writer/story: it is "played up/down", and gave a quick example. Also, I stressed it was not an absolute defense, as such, by any means; while most effective against energy/gods' power attacks, it is not so much against gross physical attacks (bullets, fists, giant boulders, Aunt May with a hairpin) which require Diana's speed/strength to repel (granted, not a feat she commonly fails). She has resisted very powerful attacks via her bracers; she has also been in HtH fights/caught by surprise/fought against beings with comparable strength/speed (Superman, et al), where her defenses, while useful and effective, were not absolute.

And I wasn't meaning anyone in particular was picking on her as a character, just that it seems to have been a underscored theme over the past 10 days or so. Gotta make breakfast.

tideoftime
In the interest of being fair and balanced (as there are a number of posts in Respect that show her deflecting everything short of the sun) I went looking for an example of where the bracers "failed" -- that is, Diana wasn't able to block an attack she was aware of under normal(ish) circumstances and *actually* was trying to block -- not an easy task, as it is a rare thing, but then I remembered a relatively recent issue of WW (#29), where she had to capture the Cheetah to get information, and Barbara cut her something good 'n plenty. In one panel, Diana is clearly going to block Cheetah, and fails, with Cheetah cutting her arm(s) beneath the bracers. Perfect example of a gross physical attack making it through, though with a couple caveats involved:

1: The Cheetah's combat reflexes/instant move is faster than Diana's (and Superman's, Captain Marvel's, et al; with her being only marginally behind the Flash now in terms of combat speed); this is due to her gaining greater understanding of her powers/nature under Zoom, and later Circe. (And she was a blur for several panels, even from Diana's perspective, so blocking would be difficult, though Diana has deflected FTL attacks before).
2: Diana was already pretty f'd-up from going multiple rounds with Genocide (who herself had spent the better part of her time pounding half the JL, including Firestorm, Green Lantern, Flash, and others -- Diana was in worse shape than after the Lord/Superman fight).

But there are a few other examples -- don't have any old books around that aren't in storage. Generally, nothing is getting past her bracers/Aegis effect when in play, but there are circumstantial exceptions, and therefore it is not foolproof.

Afterthought: while Diana, herself, might resist BB's scream, in whatever manner, she could certainly be overcome/caught circumstantially via collateral effects: buildings/terrain around her collapsing on top of her; the ground beneath her vibrating/shifting violently (forcing her to fly, which is not necessarily a good thing); being unable to save/protect anyone else; etc. Those are valid tactical points, especially in a forum fight.

Lord Feron
In the interest of being fair and balanced (as there are a number of posts in Respect that show her deflecting everything short of the sun) I went looking for an example of where the bracers "failed" -- that is, Diana wasn't able to block an attack she was aware of under normal(ish) circumstances and *actually* was trying to block -- not an easy task, as it is a rare thing, but then I remembered a relatively recent issue of WW (#29), where she had to capture the Cheetah to get information, and Barbara cut her something good 'n plenty. In one panel, Diana is clearly going to block Cheetah, and fails, with Cheetah cutting her arm(s) beneath the bracers. Perfect example of a gross physical attack making it through, though with a couple caveats involved:

1: The Cheetah's combat reflexes/instant move is faster than Diana's (and Superman's, Captain Marvel's, et al; with her being only marginally behind the Flash now in terms of combat speed); this is due to her gaining greater understanding of her powers/nature under Zoom, and later Circe. (And she was a blur for several panels, even from Diana's perspective, so blocking would be difficult, though Diana has deflected FTL attacks before).
2: Diana was already pretty f'd-up from going multiple rounds with Genocide (who herself had spent the better part of her time pounding half the JL, including Firestorm, Green Lantern, Flash, and others -- Diana was in worse shape than after the Lord/Superman fight).

But there are a few other examples -- don't have any old books around that aren't in storage. Generally, nothing is getting past her bracers/Aegis effect when in play, but there are circumstantial exceptions, and therefore it is not foolproof.

Afterthought: while Diana, herself, might resist BB's scream, in whatever manner, she could certainly be overcome/caught circumstantially via collateral effects: buildings/terrain around her collapsing on top of her; the ground beneath her vibrating/shifting violently (forcing her to fly, which is not necessarily a good thing); being unable to save/protect anyone else; etc. Those are valid tactical points, especially in a forum fight.

I like your style.

big grin

Sasaraixx

The bracers provide Diana with 3 distinct types of protection.

1. Direct physical contact to the bracers themselves.
This is the usage that most people are familiar with. Diana uses her skill/reflexes to block incoming punches, projectiles, etc. In this mode the bracers will only protect her from the attacks that actually hit the bracers. Were she to be hit by a wide range energy type attack, only the portion of her arms covered by the bracers would be protected.

2. The Aegis effect
This is when she CROSSES the bracers. It creates a representation of Zeus' Aegis shield. This creates a shield around her or those she is shielding and provides complete protection from any wide area wave attacks. The area of effect on the shield is not limited to the area of her crossed hands, but the shield extends out to protect her and anyone she is shielding. This is why BB's scream would not be able to harm her. All she has to do is cross the bracers. This effect protects her from energy, sonic, magical type wave attacks. It does not protect her from any physical attacks. If Superman were to punch her in the stomach while the bracers were crossed, it would go right through.

3. Passive durability boost
This one is a bit less clear but there was an instance where Diana fell a distance and hit the ground rather hard. She claimed that the bracers absorbed the bulk of the impact. This implies that just dawning the bracers enhances her durability by a degree as they absorb a portion of direct damage to her body. As I said, this one is a bit iffier, so if anyone has more info to refute or back up the assertion, please share.

There was a much better write up on all of the bracers powers on the DC WW forum, but it is no longer there sad

So to answer the OP's question, yes WW's bracers would protect her from BB's scream. The bracers have handled a combied attack from ALL of the Olympian Gods (minus Ares). Part of what makes WW so dangerous is that her equipment is all forged from/by Gods. It will take someone on that level to overcome/destroy them. (Don't get me started on Trinity though stick out tongue)

tideoftime
The part about her falling and the bracers absorbing the impact is an old misnomer from WW #17-19 (2nd Series), when she was flying and was struck by one of Circe's were-beasts, and hit the ground hard; she says to Vanessa that she (Diana) is okay -- the bracelets absorbed most of the impact. However (as was clarified a few issues later in a letter/question in "Postscripts to Paradise"wink she was referring to how she blocked the claws of the beast with her bracers - not the impact of hitting the ground. Diana has always been resistant to blunt force attacks, and hitting the ground, even from an extreme height or with great force, isn't going to do much against her, at all.

(My memory got jogged while looking/remembering older issues... I remembered that clarification all those years ago, but just had it pop back up while searching for "bracer failures", so to speak...)

Juntai
Is this:

an answer to this:

? I didn't say that second part..

Lord Feron
Originally posted by Sasaraixx

This one is a bit less clear but there was an instance where Diana fell a distance and hit the ground rather hard. She claimed that the bracers absorbed the bulk of the impact. This implies that just dawning the bracers enhances her durability by a degree as they absorb a portion of direct damage to her body. As I said, this one is a bit iffier, so if anyone has more info to refute or back up the assertion, please share.

Really... I knew the bracers were significant part of her but didn't think it added that much to her... interesting.

So without the bracers on how durable is she?

tideoftime
Originally posted by Lord Feron
Really... I knew the bracers were significant part of her but didn't think it added that much to her... interesting.

So without the bracers on how durable is she?

Most people who haven't been keeping real tabs on her over the past 10-15 years are usually shocked by the answer: against blunt force/punches, she's right up there with Superman, Captain Marvel, and similar. Against *superior* material (or magical) edged/piercing weopons (from her own magical swords to Wolverine's/The Cheetah's claws), she is at her most relatively vulnerable (though she can still endure quite a lot). Against most terrestrial heat/cold (from sub-zero artic to molten lava/iron -- which she has been dumped in and came out as if from a hot-tub) she is almost as resistant as Supes, and has great resistance to disease and radiation. Poisons can affect her, but even cyanide only slows her down, and she recovers quickly. Electricity is a "weak" point, in that her inherent resistance is no greater than a "typical" enhanced metahuman (say, Spiderman, or a little better), though her ability to survive/endure it is much greater (she has way more "hit points", so to speak). The truly biggest shock to most people is that she really isn't harmed by ordinary (but not magical) bullets or arrows anymore (implied before Infinite Crisis -- more directly alluded to since her series reboot 3 years ago); she deflects "ordinary" gunfire and such now more to keep in practice for when more powerful attacks come.

As the one issue of JL displayed between her and Superman:
Superman: Strength:A-1, Speed: A-2, Invulnerability: A-1, Flight: A-1
Wonder Woman: Strength: A-1, Speed: A-2, Invulnerability: A-1, Flight: A-2

(He edges in strength, and has a wider range of "invulnerabilities", while she edges him in speed/combat reflexes, and has magical weopons; his superior flight only comes into play in space -- in any appreciable atmosphere, they are equal.)

EDIT: But she still needs to breath (though she can hold her breath for 15-20 minutes with no problem, and longer if she must), and can't resist certain energy attacks as well as Supes, CM, MM, and others. That's why the gods armed her with the bracers/Aegis, to compensate for that, to a degree. And although highly resistant to heat/radiation, she could never go into the sun the way Supes can, as she doesn't have his energy absorption powers.

Sasaraixx
The part about her falling and the bracers absorbing the impact is an old misnomer from WW #17-19 (2nd Series), when she was flying and was struck by one of Circe's were-beasts, and hit the ground hard; she says to Vanessa that she (Diana) is okay -- the bracelets absorbed most of the impact. However (as was clarified a few issues later in a letter/question in "Postscripts to Paradise"wink she was referring to how she blocked the claws of the beast with her bracers - not the impact of hitting the ground. Diana has always been resistant to blunt force attacks, and hitting the ground, even from an extreme height or with great force, isn't going to do much against her, at all.

(My memory got jogged while looking/remembering older issues... I remembered that clarification all those years ago, but just had it pop back up while searching for "bracer failures", so to speak...)

Thank you. If that is the explanation given, then that was an extremely poorly worded passage. There was one other example someone gave in the threat I mentioned above, but I can't remember it for the life of me.

BattleMage

See this nothing more than PIS B.S. ! Because she can FLY.

Sasaraixx

See this nothing more than PIS B.S. ! Because she can FLY.

And you've never seen a character who can fly hit the ground? Context is your friend.

Kris Blaze
Until we get to see some better feats from Black Bolt's scream, WW survives.

Lord Feron
So does WW have innate durability on par with people like Cap Marvel, and Supes without the bracers?

Zeuodin
Originally posted by Lord Feron
So does WW have innate durability on par with people like Cap Marvel, and Supes without the bracers? To blunt force trauma and energy trauma yes. To piercing and slicing, not so much.

Doctor-Alvis
She's like a very feminine sandbag.

Lord Feron
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
She's like a very feminine sandbag.

confused hmm idk if i like that analogy..... more like punching bag!! oh snap!

redhotrash
Pretty informative debate actually for those of us who havent followed WW in a while. So its likely that her bracers will in fact protect her entire body from the electron shattering effects of BB's scream. It still seems debatable as to whether it'd knock her over then decimate her while shes airborn, but thats more a sign of Diana failing rather than her bracers. Also Im not so arrogant as to claim I know enough about who she has fought to say shes never had to face the kind of energy output BB can dish out, but I will repeat he should have like one of the best offensive weapons in marvel, and as was seen in Illuminati, is capable of tearing reality.

Zeuodin
Pretty informative debate actually for those of us who havent followed WW in a while. So its likely that her bracers will in fact protect her entire body from the electron shattering effects of BB's scream. It still seems debatable as to whether it'd knock her over then decimate her while shes airborn, but thats more a sign of Diana failing rather than her bracers. Also Im not so arrogant as to claim I know enough about who she has fought to say shes never had to face the kind of energy output BB can dish out, but I will repeat he should have like one of the best offensive weapons in marvel, and as was seen in Illuminati, is capable of tearing reality. He has one of the best Offensive weapons in marvel if not the best from anyone Herald level. But she has one of if not the best Defensive weapons anyone herald level in DC.

Konton
To blunt force trauma and energy trauma yes. To piercing and slicing, not so much.

She's not weak to piercing or slicing. She has a mystical weakness to bullets and they cause her pain. She was shocked the last time she was impaled by an arrow and it was infused with magic. I can't recall the last time she was sliced by anything less than enchanted claws.

I specifically recall seeing her grab a spear by the blade not too long ago.

Zeuodin
She's not weak to piercing or slicing. She has a mystical weakness to bullets and they cause her pain. She was shocked the last time she was impaled by an arrow and it was infused with magic. I can't recall the last time she was sliced by anything less than enchanted claws.

I specifically recall seeing her grab a spear by the blade not too long ago. It's in the respect thread. Same place I been looking. Cheetah's claws aren't enchanted are they? I thought it was due to her ridiculously high speeds that made her claws cut so deeply.

Konton
Mhm. Enchanted claws.

quanchi112
I think she survives.

tideoftime
It's in the respect thread. Same place I been looking. Cheetah's claws aren't enchanted are they? I thought it was due to her ridiculously high speeds that made her claws cut so deeply.

Oh, Cheetah's claws are most *definitely* magical -- that's been since the Post-Crisis reboot. She is, like Diana, Billy, and others, effectively an avatar of her "god", but nowhere near the broad potential that Diana, et al, have. But in her major specialty (speed attack), she is virtually unmatched, and has at least a supportive set of secondary abilities: magical claws, superhuman endurance/strength, supernatural stealth (which has proven effective against Superman and Supergirl) and modest healing/regenerative abilities (she's regrown that tail a few times now, with Diana having cut it off - again - just a few issues ago). She also has middle-level occult knowledge/skills, and has performed magical rituals (though only "modest" ones, by *true* mystics' standards).

tideoftime

I specifically recall seeing her grab a spear by the blade not too long ago.

Well, she has a weakness to piercing/slashing attacks in that she has a lower resistance to them than what would be expected when compared with her ability to resist blunt force trauma and moderate to high level energy attacks (depending on the nature of the energy in question). Normal/unaugmented arrows, standard bullets, and non-special swords/knives cannot harm her, per se, but can hurt in the sense of pain.

(Trust me -- she's one of several characters I have followed closely for 30 years, through thick and thin, and this is definitely the most durable/resistant she has ever been -- but she still has "weaknesses" in the sense of not being *quite* as invulnerable as Superman/Captain Marvel, and a few others... though some other people still fail to understand just how resistant/enduring she has become -- quan being one of them...)

quanchi112
Well, she has a weakness to piercing/slashing attacks in that she has a lower resistance to them than what would be expected when compared with her ability to resist blunt force trauma and moderate to high level energy attacks (depending on the nature of the energy in question). Normal/unaugmented arrows, standard bullets, and non-special swords/knives cannot harm her, per se, but can hurt in the sense of pain.

(Trust me -- she's one of several characters I have followed closely for 30 years, through thick and thin, and this is definitely the most durable/resistant she has ever been -- but she still has "weaknesses" in the sense of not being *quite* as invulnerable as Superman/Captain Marvel, and a few others... though some other people still fail to understand just how resistant/enduring she has become -- quan being one of them...) I failed to understand nothing. You even agreed with me that her strength isn't up to par with theirs. Just let it go ya silly WW fan.

Zeuodin
Originally posted by quanchi112
I failed to understand nothing. You even agreed with me that her strength isn't up to par with theirs. Just let it go ya silly WW fan. I'm reporting you. You are saying he's silly for being a WW fan? It's obvious you don't like the character and you demean her at every turn. Gamora isn't as strong as the Hulk either and I think she can beat him. Strength isn't the only determining factor. Flash isn't as Strong as Thor and he beats Thor handily.

quanchi112
I'm reporting you. You are saying he's silly for being a WW fan? It's obvious you don't like the character and you demean her at every turn. Gamora isn't as strong as the Hulk either and I think she can beat him. Strength isn't the only determining factor. Flash isn't as Strong as Thor and he beats Thor handily. Report me if you want. He keeps throwing my name around simply because he's upset about her strength level and the fact I am correct about it. He later agreed she wasn't as strong as Superman/Thor/Marvel despite arguing with me back and forth.

Reporting someone is the most childish thing a poster can do. Man up and debate. this forum was practically dead when everyone reported every little thing that offended them. Now tha the mods are relaxed it's back to normal.

If you want to report me then do so.

tideoftime
I failed to understand nothing. You even agreed with me that her strength isn't up to par with theirs. Just let it go ya silly WW fan.

?

What I had only ever indicated is that she isn't *quite* as strong, but is nearly so... Superman edges her in strength by roughly the same margin as she edges him in reflex/combat speed, which is to say a measurable amount, but nothing more than marginal (barring sun amps, godwaves, magical gauntlets, Aunt May being in trouble, etc.)

And I would love to let it go (along with a few other points I have been in disagreement with a couple other people), except that it keeps coming up, from other people, and it's a mis-characterization in terms of her. (Some people have also made a few statements about Thor, and Martian Manhunter, that I don't think are correct either, and I have said as much...)

And while I like the character of WW, she isn't my favorite... I just found the subtle inaccuracies of perception about her (and the semi-dogged way it is maintained) just kind of weird -- if she weren't nearly as strong as Superman, I'd have no problem with that. But she is. And she is much more durable and enduring than a number of people give credit for, which is also bizarre, given her steady and measurable increase in resistance over the past 20 years of comics.

Anywho...

quanchi112
?

What I had only ever indicated is that she isn't *quite* as strong, but is nearly so... Superman edges her in strength by roughly the same margin as she edges him in reflex/combat speed, which is to say a measurable amount, but nothing more than marginal (barring sun amps, godwaves, magical gauntlets, Aunt May being in trouble, etc.)

And I would love to let it go (along with a few other points I have been in disagreement with a couple other people), except that it keeps coming up, from other people, and it's a mis-characterization in terms of her. (Some people have also made a few statements about Thor, and Martian Manhunter, that I don't think are correct either, and I have said as much...)

And while I like the character of WW, she isn't my favorite... I just found the subtle inaccuracies of perception about her (and the semi-dogged way it is maintained) just kind of weird -- if she weren't nearly as strong as Superman, I'd have no problem with that. But she is. And she is much more durable and enduring than a number of people give credit for, which is also bizarre, given her steady and measurable increase in resistance over the past 20 years of comics.

Anywho... Nearly as strong isn't as strong. If I bench 250 lbs. and you bench 220 lb. you could say nearly but 30 pounds is 30 pounds.

I agree her reflexes in combat are quicker than his. He edges her out due to strength and durability.

Zeuodin
Nearly as strong isn't as strong. If I bench 250 lbs. and you bench 220 lb. you could say nearly but 30 pounds is 30 pounds.

I agree her reflexes in combat are quicker than his. He edges her out due to strength and durability. If the two are fighting and one benches 250 and one benches 220, it won't matter much if the one who benches two 22o has faster reflexes. they are going to hit harder than their size based upon reflex speed. Speed is a big deciding factor in how hard something hits.

Konton

(Trust me -- she's one of several characters I have followed closely for 30 years, through thick and thin, and this is definitely the most durable/resistant she has ever been -- but she still has "weaknesses" in the sense of not being *quite* as invulnerable as Superman/Captain Marvel, and a few others... though some other people still fail to understand just how resistant/enduring she has become -- quan being one of them...)

I can't recall a single instance where she was cut or even felt the pain of being slashed at by a non-magic blade. Bullets I'll give you.

tideoftime
I'm reporting you. You are saying he's silly for being a WW fan? It's obvious you don't like the character and you demean her at every turn. Gamora isn't as strong as the Hulk either and I think she can beat him. Strength isn't the only determining factor. Flash isn't as Strong as Thor and he beats Thor handily.

Uhhh...

While I thank you for your support, I don't think him calling me silly is an overtly offensive remark. I am not offended by it. The only silly thing is his twisting of my comments (and the intent I laid down with them) concerning a fictional character's relative super-human strength. I have indicated that she is not quite as strong as Superman, Thor, et al, but she is nearly so. He takes that to mean that she is not in their class of physical strength, when DC comics has, over the past 2 decades made it quite clear that she is. They may be stronger than her by a considerable measure of gross tonnage, but the percentage of strength difference isn't that much. My very original statement concerning Diana and Thor is that he would definitely win at armwrestling (or mercy), though not as easily as a number of fanbois would think. As far as actual battle, that's a different story -- she could give him quite a run for his money. But nothing is definite either way.

*sigh*

Badabing
I'm reporting you. You are saying he's silly for being a WW fan? It's obvious you don't like the character and you demean her at every turn. Gamora isn't as strong as the Hulk either and I think she can beat him. Strength isn't the only determining factor. Flash isn't as Strong as Thor and he beats Thor handily. Then report. We don't need a declaration in the thread.

BattleMage
It pains me to see how weak dudes are on here, Always reporting someone next they will be spilling there guts to the police! DAMN

iceman24567
It's not weak to report trolls plus the mods rather have us use the button than flame you shouldn't discourage people from using the report button erm

nicamarvin
It's not weak to report trolls plus the mods rather have us use the button than flame you shouldn't discourage people from using the report button erm DUDE I Report the Reporters and I alos Report the Mods....... cool

Zeuodin
Originally posted by Badabing
Then report. We don't need a declaration in the thread. Sorry. I saw him declare someone a Silly Fan and so I made a counter declaration.

chomperx9
are the bracers considered magic the way they work ?

BattleMage
are the bracers considered magic the way they work ? Is the Joker a maniac ?

chomperx9
Is the Joker a maniac ? just a happy one.

and guessing your answer means yes.

well then if her bracers are magic and if hawkman takes a hit at WWs bracers with his mace wont that affect WWs arms since the mace disrupts magic ?

Sasaraixx
just a happy one.

and guessing your answer means yes.

well then if her bracers are magic and if hawkman takes a hit at WWs bracers with his mace wont that affect WWs arms since the mace disrupts magic ?

It's a question of degree. Sure the mace disrupts magic, but is it above the magic of skyfathers? I seriously, seriously doubt it.

D_Dude1210
Can I see some top end feats of the bracers? I saw some that Zeuodin posted back in another post, are those the top ones?

Zeuodin
Can I see some top end feats of the bracers? I saw some that Zeuodin posted back in another post, are those the top ones? Deflecting the power of the shattered God, who was more powerful than all the gods of all pantheons, deflecting the power of the entire Greek pantheon, and the Omegas are the best feats I can think of. They can block abstract level power.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Sasaraixx
It's a question of degree. Sure the mace disrupts magic, but is it above the magic of skyfathers? I seriously, seriously doubt it. above ? has there ever been any limit to a spell of what the mace can disrupt ?

Zeuodin
above ? has there ever been any limit to a spell of what the mace can disrupt ? The metal itself is indestructible. Nothing to do with a spell. The spell on the bracers or magic per say comes from the Aegis affect.

tideoftime
above ? has there ever been any limit to a spell of what the mace can disrupt ?

It's not simply a question of "magic" or "spell" -- her bracers/lasso both are on a level of legendary/mythic standing (like Mjolner) that is so powerful, even the gods themselves are humbled by them. Besides it's inherent god-level mystical power, her bracers also are at least base-line comparable to adamantium/promethium, if different in nature.

Philosophía
Deflecting the power of the shattered God, who was more powerful than all the gods of all pantheons, deflecting the power of the entire Greek pantheon, and the Omegas are the best feats I can think of. They can block abstract level power.

Yeah, they blocked a few of Superman's blows.

Konton
Besides it's inherent god-level mystical power, her bracers also are at least base-line superior to adamantium/promethium, if different in nature.

fixed =]

tideoftime
fixed =]

Well, yes... that is true...

But as I originally said it was at "least" baseline... my statement was not "incorrect", merely respectful of other aspects of both DC and Marvel (i.e. I was being polite).

As old school Marvel scales are often utilized around here, then Adamantium/Promethium would be Cl1000, the Bracers Cl3000, and Captain America's Shield/Hestia's Lasso Cl5000.

How's that sound, Konton? Happy now? stick out tongue

Konton
Why the lasso over the bracers?
The lasso has been broken, albeit under a plot device in which it represented the shattering of truth.

I'd put the bracers and the lasso on even ground and the tiara slightly behind.

Zeuodin
What the hell is going on with all these Wonder Woman fans?

tideoftime
Why the lasso over the bracers?
The lasso has been broken, albeit under a plot device in which it represented the shattering of truth.

I'd put the bracers and the lasso on even ground and the tiara slightly behind.

The lasso's very nature is one of subtle mutability - it is indestructable on a level beyond most people's meaning of the word, precisely because it isn't just a "magical rope", but the actual embodiment of truth incarnate. It can be changed/"broken", in the sense of being altered as fundamental truth itself is altered, but in essence still remains.

The Bracers are nigh indestructable, and more resistant, in essence, to being affected as such, but if ever violated (as has happened twice -- off panel/comic -- in their history) will not simply "reform" themselves. (That's why the Bracers are the way they are -- they are all that remains of the Aegis, itself, from long mythic ages past).

(And in the old DC reference scaling, the lasso was indicated as being more resistant to damage than the bracers. So I just transferred that into Marvel terminology for ease of comparison/explanation. As Cap's shield, if ever broken, wouldn't magically reform itself, I guess you could classify the lasso as a mythic CL10,000, if you wanted... but I don't think that's necessary... wink )

Zeuodin
The lasso's very nature is one of subtle mutability - it is indestructable on a level beyond most people's meaning of the word, precisely because it isn't just a "magical rope", but the actual embodiment of truth incarnate. It can be changed/"broken", in the sense of being altered as fundamental truth itself is altered, but in essence still remains.

The Bracers are nigh indestructable, and more resistant, in essence, to being affected as such, but if ever violated (as has happened twice -- off panel/comic -- in their history) will not simply "reform" themselves. (That's why the Bracers are the way they are -- they are all that remains of the Aegis, itself, from long mythic ages past).

(And in the old DC reference scaling, the lasso was indicated as being more resistant to damage than the bracers. So I just transferred that into Marvel terminology for ease of comparison/explanation. As Cap's shield, if ever broken, wouldn't magically reform itself, I guess you could classify the lasso as a mythic CL10,000, if you wanted... but I don't think that's necessary... wink ) Wasn't cap shield broken with pure force before? I don't see that ever happening to the lasso.

tideoftime
What the hell is going on with all these Wonder Woman fans?

I have shifted from being annoyed by all the topics/threads, to amused. I keep answering questions because a couple people have asked legitimate questions, without sarcasm/fanboi bias, and a few others have demonstrated a lack of character knowledge in their responses, but without a pre-existing bias, just a lack of knowledge.

Some topics/responders I am ignoring altogether, 'cus the responses are just too nuts to even respond to...

I personally have been digging for old Batman posts, to get a better idea of how many fans see him in his "renaissance" persona (the near peak of human potential/skill) and how many see him in a more "credible" identity (that is, still pretty awesome, but not quite what the hype says...) Don't have a bias either way, but curious about others' views...

Zeuodin
I have shifted from being annoyed by all the topics/threads, to amused. I keep answering questions because a couple people have asked legitimate questions, without sarcasm/fanboi bias, and a few others have demonstrated a lack of character knowledge in their responses, but without a pre-existing bias, just a lack of knowledge.

Some topics/responders I am ignoring altogether, 'cus the responses are just too nuts to even respond to...

I personally have been digging for old Batman posts, to get a better idea of how many fans see him in his "renaissance" persona (the near peak of human potential/skill) and how many see him in a more "credible" identity (that is, still pretty awesome, but not quite what the hype says...) Don't have a bias either way, but curious about others' views... I meant it in no disrespect but the board is decidedly pretty good about WW. But there are some very vocal posters who obviously cannot stand the character. They are usually either Very marvel focused fans, or very Superman esque slanted fans. My Take on Wonder Woman is she is the very Top of the Mid Herald Range or Bottom of the High herald range and that her magical weapons, amps, skill and prep give her the ability to take on skyfather's and some abstracts for a time.

tideoftime
Wasn't cap shield broken with pure force before? I don't see that ever happening to the lasso. .

I wasn't drawing a direct correlation, just a generalized comparison; the lasso was broken during the "Golden Perfect", due to "truth" itself being violated (by Diana -- an essential betrayal of self, in this context). I was just elaborating on comparitive points, for anyone reading who might not "get" what the bracers are like. Used adamantium, Cap's shield, and the lasso just as relative benchmarks.

celeyhyga17
I meant it in no disrespect but the board is decidedly pretty good about WW. But there are some very vocal posters who obviously cannot stand the character. They are usually either Very marvel focused fans, or very Superman esque slanted fans. My Take on Wonder Woman is she is the very Top of the Mid Herald Range or Bottom of the High herald range and that her magical weapons, amps, skill and prep give her the ability to take on skyfather's and some abstracts for a time.

agree. she has a ton of tricks. almost like a female thor. tons of god level weapons, god level defense (aegis shield), god level attacks (god wave thingy). a little less in strength and durability, but makes up for it in speed.

redhotrash
Ive always thought the main thing that set her apart was she was actually a skilled H2H fighter unlike so many other class 100+

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.