Top Ten Films of the '00s?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
If you had to compile a top ten list for the films of 2000-2009, what would it look like?

Rank them if you can and provide some reasoning if you'd like.

I'll work on my list and get back to everyone; I've been thinking of all the movies that have been coming out this past decade and there are a ton of good ones so it's kinda tough.

One Free Man
lotr
potc 1
series of unfortunate events.
batman begins
star wars three
the matrix trilogy

no particular order, just what came to mind.

SnakeEyes
Alright, here's my tentative list, not ranked:

- Inglourious Basterds: enormously entertaining, my favorite QT flick (and I believe the one with the most substance), fantastic performance from Christoph Waltz as one of the most memorable movie villains I've ever seen, a fascinating study of film violence and a passionate love letter to cinema itself.

- The Dark Knight: to me TDK is pretty important because it marks the culmination of all the comic book movies that came before it, it took the genre and pushed it to the boundary, making it a movie that is extremely entertaining, but also something to take seriously, tackling a few weighty themes and moral issues. In my opinion, this is a nearly perfect Batman film with a flawless and memorable performance from Heath Ledger.

- No Country for Old Men: I wish the Coen brothers would make more movies like this. Don't get me wrong, I like their zany, kooky, crime comedies and so forth, but I felt like they harnessed their considerable talent and focused it in making this movie. This film has tension that I've not seen in any other movie, with yet another frightening and memorable villain, played by Javier Bardem.

- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly: a deeply touching film that takes you straight into the mind of the protagonist as he struggles with a situation that most of us would find unbearable. Reminds us of the power of the mind, the imagination and the will to live and find meaning in the face of tragedy.

- City of God: one of the best "gangster" films, if you want to label it as that. It opens the viewer's eyes to a treacherous, slum lifestyle that effects everyone who lives there -- it takes us on a journey that spans three decades, providing a broad, yet extremely detailed and specific examination of that lifestyle. It also shows us that it is still possible, even under such circumstances, to reach your goals.

- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: the most genuinely human take I've seen on relationships and the memories associated with them. Fantastic performances, fantastic score, fantastic script and direction; a poignant look at romance/relationships/memory.

- Shaun of the Dead: one of my favorite comedies of the past decade and I think my single favorite zombie movie. I love how it blends so many genres that wouldn't normally fit together, but this movie makes it work to great effect.

- Oldboy: stylistically awesome, showcasing a brave performance from Min-sik Choi. Has one of my favorite twists; the whole movie has a pace and energy that adds to it's already interesting plot.

- The Fountain: open to many interpretations, this film captures thoughts and feelings about love and death that are very touching and profound. Again, great performances here, a stunning score/visuals and themes I haven't seen explored in other films.

- The Lord of the Rings (kind of cheating since there are three... but they should be considered as one long movie): epic in every sense of the word, I love these movies because they tell an archetypal story of the hero's journey in such a magnificent way. Few movies really suck you into a completely fictional world and mythology, but LotR does it with ease.

Alpha Centauri
In no order:

Memories of Murder
The Host
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Oldboy
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Inglourious Basterds
There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Moon
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

If we're counting trilogies as one, let me know and I'll edit the list.

-AC

That ACDC Chick
Pirates of the Caribbean: brought pirates back and posed the all important question "Pirate or Ninja?". plus two words: Johnny Depp

The Dark Knight: the Joker, plus the fact that it was Heath Ledger's secdon to last movie makes it just plain epic as well as delving further into the Batman psyche

Harry Potter: cause im a nerd who's read every single book a billion times and still gets excited to see them bring the whole world thought up by J.K. Rowling to life in stunning detail

9: an amazing movie in every way too bad i had to watch it on my lonesome and got laughed at when i suggested the whole family go see it

Resident Evil: i love zombie flicks plus the guy playing Matt is hot

The Transporter: two words: Jason Statham

Doom: i know i know. it was terrible for most people blah blah blah. it butchered the game. blah blah blah. i just plain love it okay?

Forgetting Sarah Marshall: one of the funniest movies ive ever seen. when i first saw the previews, i didnt think id like it but when i watched it one night with my mom, i absolutely fell in love with it

Oldboy: a great South Korean film that has to be seen to be understood

Sin City: effin love this movie. the plotlines are great plus all the stars that work perfectly in the style of the movie

honorable mentions:
WALL-E:its just so ****in cute! happy

The Others: creepy atmosphere with a great plot twist

Finding Nemo: again. so effin cute

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
In no order:

Memories of Murder
The Host
Oldboy
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Inglourious Basterds
There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Moon

If we're counting trilogies as one, let me know and I'll edit the list.

-AC

Well I counted LotR as one, so sure, trilogies can be counted as one.

Nice list btw, I've seen all of those except for Memories of Murder.

Impediment
In no order:

Wall-E- an amazingly done piece of animation that tells a beautiful story without almost any dialogue.
Sin City- my favorite comic book movie ever. Sexy. Stylish. Raw.
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King- The best of the LOTR trilogy. Action packed, scary, and heart breaking.
Shaun of the Dead-One of the best comedies I have ever seen. It's still as fresh and witty as the first time I saw it.
Spirited Away- Hayao Miyazaki's masterpiece. 'Nuff said.
Pan's Labyrinth - A disturbing fairytale that will terrify you and awe you until the heart wrenching ending.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Not only is it a martial arts powerhouse, it's a beautiful love story.
The Dark Knight - Second best comic book film on my list. Ledger's Joker stole the show.
Oldboy - I have to jump on the bandwagon and agree; This movie is epic. The hallway fight scene is AMAZING!
The Departed - A fantastic follow up to Scorcesi's other masterpiece, Goodfellas.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Well I counted LotR as one, so sure, trilogies can be counted as one.

Nice list btw, I've seen all of those except for Memories of Murder.

See it, it's out of hand.

Amended/Edited list:

Memories of Murder
The Host
Inglourious Basterds
There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
The Vengeance Trilogy
Moon
The Dark Knight
Wall-E

Honourable mention: Cloverfield.

Cloverfield will probably be met with contention, but I genuinely believe it to be an excellent, haunting movie. If I were to be absolutely honest I'd say it's the closest cinema has come to a Alien-esque horror/monster movie since that movie itself. Different kinds of suspenseful monster horror, but similar too.

It took a huge risk by having minimal promotion for a movie with such a contentious filming style and ambigious plot, but the way it pulled off what it was aiming for amazed me. It's just a shame that movie goers don't seem to appreciate the kind of suspense that James Cameron did so well with Alien. You barely get to see the thing, there's only one and that was enough.

Same with Cloverfield. Despite there being only one in the movie, it seemed to show up at the most perfect times and the fact that it wasn't an outwardly evil, carnivorous monster just added to it for me. It was a very chaotic kind of horror.

The scene where they're walking down the road and the giant leg comes out of nowhere, followed my a cacophany of gun and shell fire was just amazing. Additionally, it had a genuinely terrifying ending. I have nothing but good things to say about the male and female lead, they did an excellent job in conveying the terror they felt.

Some people didn't like the camera work, fine, but it wasn't "shit" in the sense most people say. It wasn't unintentionally shaky and bad, it was intentionally like that. If that's what you didn't like, fine, but don't say it was "bad camerawork".

Also, people say "It's stupid to keep a camera with you the whole time!", but without it there'd be no movie. Furthermore, it's not so much "Here's a dude with a camera.", it's the only method in which the viewer is capable of feeling as close to experiencing it themselves as possible, without it being first-person. If it were done like Doom, first-person with no camera, it'd be shit.

Sadly, it did suffer a bit for being what I consider to be a cinema-only experiene. I saw it three times and never again. I will never watch it outside of a cinema. That's why it gets honourable mention. I just feel the criticisms levelled at this movie were just unfair.

-AC

Robtard
Downloading 'Memories of Murder' now, better be as good as you claim. Thanks for the recommend, you bastard.

MildPossession
Both of you should have seen Memories of Murder by now! shame on you. *slaps Robtard, and SnakeEyes*

Robtard
Originally posted by MildPossession
Both of you should have seen Memories of Murder by now! shame on you. *slaps Robtard, and SnakeEyes*

I've watched and enjoyed The Host and Old Boy. Tried to watch Thirst (Bakjwi) this weekend, but it didn't have subtitles.

Think that satisfies the Korean film quota for the decade.

Alpha Centauri
I saw Thirst at its London premier, accompanied by a Q&A with Park Chan-Wook.

Suck it.

-AC

Robtard
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I saw Thirst at its London premier, accompanied by a Q&A with Park Chan-Wook.

Suck it.

-AC

I didn't pay for it and I have nothing to ask a Korean director.

No thanks, already flossed.

MildPossession
Do you mean you watched a nasty old pirate copy... tut tut.

Alpha Centauri
I'm subbing out Eternal Sunshine for Kill Bill: Vol. 1.

-AC

Robtard
Do you mean you watched a nasty old pirate copy... tut tut.

No, it was a perfect pirate copy, perfect video and audio. Just couldn't get the subtitles file to attach. So I watched 10 mins in Korean and decided to turn it off.

I'll be adding it to my Netflix account.

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
If you had to compile a top ten list for the films of 2000-2009, what would it look like?

Rank them if you can and provide some reasoning if you'd like.

I'll work on my list and get back to everyone; I've been thinking of all the movies that have been coming out this past decade and there are a ton of good ones so it's kinda tough.

In no particular order:

Traffic

The Wrestler

The Dark Knight

Mulholland Dr.

Kill Bill

Inglorious Basterds

Million Dollar Baby

25th Hour

Monsters, Inc.

The Pianist

Ziggy22
Sin City
The Dark Knight
The Departed
The Wrestler
Inglourious Basterds
There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Shaun of the Dead
Oldboy
Lord of the Rings

MildPossession
All of you swap The Departed for the original film please. stick out tongue

Blinky
The Departed would go on my list, so would The Mist.

I hate these "top 10 of the decade" threads coz I always wanna compile a list, but know I would have to edit my original list about 10 times or so.

Robtard
The Mist was a pleasant surprise, went into it thinking it would shit, turned out to be a good horror flick. Only regret, the smug ******* black lawyer wasn't shown being torn apart by one of the creatures.

Not sure it'd make my 10-list though.

That ACDC Chick
i didnt like the Mist sick
the main ddos hawt and all, but there was just too many bad characters that didnt die and all the good ones did die

dadudemon
I'm with Blinky. Too hard to do.

I may reconsider after I've looked at my top rated movies.

MildPossession
The ending wouldn't have worked as well if they were bad characters.

SnakeEyes

Just watched Infernal Affairs and thought The Departed was soooo much better.

BackFire
No order.

United 93
May
Dancer in the Dark
Irreversible
Shaun of the Dead
The Descent
Requiem for a Dream
Oldboy
Wall-E
The Wrestler

Honorable Mentions: Battle Royale, Up, Paranormal Activity, The Hurt Locker, Downfall, Amelie, A Very Long Engagement, Cloverfield, Dog Soldiers, Batman Begins, Sin City, Lord of the Rings, Inglorious Basterds, Sideways, Little Miss Sunshine, There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, Monster's Inc, Signs.

Blinky
I'd probably put in Gangs of New York, Inglorious Basterds and Solaris... then probably swap them out for movies I forgot about.

SnakeEyes
Some shout-outs - Battle Royale (just saw it for the first time), Donnie Darko, In the Bedroom, Little Children, Memento, Punch-Drunk Love, Hot Fuzz, Garden State, American Psycho, In Bruges, Before Sunset, Sunshine.

As a matter of fact, now that I'm recalling these flicks, I may need to alter my list.

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by BackFire
No order.

United 93
May
Dancer in the Dark
Irreversible
Shaun of the Dead
The Descent
Requiem for a Dream
Oldboy
Wall-E
The Wrestler

Honorable Mentions: Battle Royale, Up, Paranormal Activity, The Hurt Locker, Downfall, Amelie, A Very Long Engagement, Cloverfield, Dog Soldiers, Batman Begins, Sin City, Lord of the Rings, Inglorious Basterds, Sideways, Little Miss Sunshine, There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, Monster's Inc, Signs.

youd say batman begins gets an honorable mention but not tdk? i dont necessarily disagree but youre one of the first people ive seen think that.

BackFire
Yeah I like Batman Begins more. Dark Knight is good but it's hugely overrated I think. Really is carried by Heath Ledger.

That ACDC Chick
i remember not even wanting to see TDK cause everyone i knew only wanted to see it cause of Heath Ledger but when my brother got it i couldnt help but like it

The_usher
The Dark Knight
Lord Of The Rings
Memento
The departed
Sin City
Batman Begins
Gladiator
Kill Bill
The Bourne Ultimatum
Million Dollar Baby

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by That ACDC Chick
i remember not even wanting to see TDK cause everyone i knew only wanted to see it cause of Heath Ledger but when my brother got it i couldnt help but like it

I want it to see because Batman is in.... wink

MildPossession
That's because you suck. stick out tongue Plus you had the lift kill of main character scene spoilt for you.

Mairuzu
In bruges was awesome

Impediment

I would, but I have to admit that I like the remake much better. Nicholson stole the show!

I still can't believe that nobody has even listed any of Miyazaki's films, or Pan's Labyrinth.

Blinky
Originally posted by Impediment

I still can't believe that nobody has even listed any of Miyazaki's films, or Pan's Labyrinth.

Pan's Labyrinth was pretty good, but I dunno if I'd put it on my top 10 list ( if I even had a top 10 list).

WickedDynamite
Oh dear heavens! How can I get forget Amores Perros? A must see.

xJLxKing
From Hollywood.com
I Really don't agree with their choice of 1, 2, 3, and 10. I didn't watch 5 and 7.
I liked 9, 8, and of course 4.

3 could have been replaced by Hangover, Rat Race, or Role Models.
1 and 2 are just wrong. Where is Titanic? Hello!!!

http://www.hollywood.com/feature/Hollywoodcoms_Top_10_Movies_of_the_Decade/6351408

darthmaul1
Originally posted by xJLxKing
From Hollywood.com
I Really don't agree with their choice of 1, 2, 3, and 10. I didn't watch 5 and 7.
I liked 9, 8, and of course 4.

3 could have been replaced by Hangover, Rat Race, or Role Models.
1 and 2 are just wrong. Where is Titanic? Hello!!!

http://www.hollywood.com/feature/Hollywoodcoms_Top_10_Movies_of_the_Decade/6351408

Umm FYI Titanic is from the previous decade. it came out in 1997

my choices would be in no particular order.
dark Knight
Grand Torino
Transformers
fellowship of the ring
the two towers
Return of the King
wall-e
Star Trek
iron man

-Pr-
eternal sunshine is an amazing movie, and i can easily see why it's up there.

Quincy
Originally posted by -Pr-
eternal sunshine is an amazing movie, and i can easily see why it's up there.

RocasAtoll
Eternal Sunshine
Memento
Oldboy
Inside
Dark Knight
Pan's Labyrinth
Adaptation
Sin City
Kill Bill Vol. 1

Others: Snatch, The Wrestler, Slumdog Millionaire, Borat, High Fidelity, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Inglorious Basterds, Battle Royale, Batman Begins, The Host, There Will Be Blood, Almost Famous, Brick, The Departed, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Children of Men

I still need to see Memories of Murder and the Hurt Locker. Otherwise, that's pretty set.

terapattrik
in my opinion top ten movie from 2000-2009
The Dark Knight
Memento
Little Miss Sunshine
Spiderman
Lost
City of God
Twilight saga: New moon
Batman Begins
You may agree , may not agree with my choice.

Quincy
soon you'll grow up and be embarassed you put "New Moon" on your list.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Quincy

Agreed, i don't think that would rank in the top 100 of the decade.

lord xyz
Top 10?

I suppose we couldn't think of 20 good films.

r0nm0n88
Batman Dark Knight
eternal sunshine
being john malcovich(spelling possibly off)
Star wars revenge of the sith
Donnie darko
Gladiator
Troy( i kno wit wasnt that great but i can always watch it)
Star Trek

This is of the top of my head

One Free Man
Originally posted by Quincy

UYVLIOEO
How can The Prestige not have been mentioned once in this thread?

1. The Prestige*
2. Memento*
3. Saw
4. The Dark Knight
5. Insomnia
6. Saw IV
7. Saw II
8. Batman Begins
9. V for Vendetta
10. Minority Report

* The two greatest movies of all time.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by UYVLIOEO
How can The Prestige not have been mentioned once in this thread?

A better question would be: 'how can anyone think Saw IV is better than City of God?'

UYVLIOEO
Not having extremely bad taste, and it most certainly was not a better question.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.