Question About PS2 Sound Cable

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shutter Control
I remember about 6 years ago, I wanted to make my PS2 sound output a lot better than what I was getting from my TV, and I know my computer speakers were capable of much better sound than my tv so I experimented a bit, and put the PS2 AV sound cables (white and red plugs) into the back of my computer speakers (I was ignorant back then). My computer speakers on the back have 2 input slots, one output, and one that says "to left speaker" for the other speaker. From what I remember I experimented and put the white, and red ps2 AV sound cable in all of these places just to see what I would get.

By the end of the day, though, I noticed this experiment damaged the source of the sound, which was my PS2. I know this because when I hooked my PS2 back up to my TV, and to the family TV, the sound was scratchy and horrible...

I guess this isn't a smart thing to do considering an AV jack and a headphone/computer jack are completely different and require a converter/adapter like this:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1258/1031744wg3.jpg

I am just wondering, does my situation sound normal? Should the source (be it a PS2, Xbox or Gamecube) run the risk of getting damaged (sound-wise) for putting its sound plugs in the wrong place?

S_D_J
I doubt the source gets damaged... it must be just your cable...assuming you mean the composite cables. Try with a different one

Shutter Control
Yeah I mean the composite.

Well...I mean...I was kinda thinking the same thing recently. You know, just try another cable and see what you will get. Unfortunately, I do not have my old PS2 to test this out, crap...

However, I noticed nothing happened to the picture so the PS2 was at least still putting out its best picture, so the picture yellow AV jack was still good.

What are the chances that only the red and white jacks of the AV cable were damaged but the yellow wasn't? Shouldn't this mean just the sound of the PS2 got screwed up and the cable is just fine? I don't know...but I'm liking your theory though. I'd like more input on this from other people.

Last thing I wanted to say was, it seems based on your statement that usually cables are what get screwed and not what the cables are linking together i.e. consoles connected to speakers, or disc players connected to speakers, etc.

If this is true I am happy. big grin Because I'm sure I'd rather go buy a new cable then a new expensive console like my 360 for example..

Smasandian
You might damage the input jacks if you put something in it that's not suppose to but its more likely that the cables are screwed.

But in your example, you said you plugged the cables into the speakers which you think damaged the sound of the PS2.

That won't happen. What might get damage are the speakers itself.

Shutter Control
Ok, now I'm getting the cable and/or the speaker would get damaged which overall I am still liking since the most expensive piece of equipment (console) should still be fine.

I'm just wondering can you explain why the speakers would get damaged? As you can see I have little to no knowledge of this and to be honest I don't know where to go to get info about a situation like mine, I don't think my situation is a common one which is why I doubt I'll find info on it on a site, that's why I'm asking everyday people here.

Tested the speakers (the one I experimented with 6 years ago, and I know my family got it like more than 10 years ago and it's still working perfectly...they are Yamaha speakers) and it at least is doing ok, but I'd still want to know why there would be a chance it would get damaged and the console would have 0% chance. Thanks again. big grin

Shutter Control
More input?! big grin

S_D_J
Let me see If I got this right:

You plugged the red&white jacks in the speaker's inlet/outlet right? I assume they are not compatible and you ended forcing them in, that should have (most likely) screwed up the jacks so they don't work properly.

the video jack (yellow) should be working fine since you didn't do anything with that one.

If I'm not mistaken, the composite cable works separately one from the other, like say 3 different cables independent from one another. just look at the composite cable of your DVD, they are separate from each other.

The PS2 composite cable is the same, the difference is that it connects to one single Multi-out jack in the back of the PS2 (kinda like a USB cable) it got pins in it and they work separate from each other as well (each pin). Those pins connect to the wire of each separate cable, If you didn't mess with that, the PS2 should most definetly be alright, the problem is your cables.

the speaker shouldn't get damaged, just the inlet you plug the jacks in could get damaged.

The easiest solution ( if not the only one) is for you to get new cables... they don't have to be original PS2 cables, you can use PS1 composite cables... or PS3 composite cables you can find anywhere, they all use the same multi-out plug. wink

Smasandian
If the input on the speakers are damage, it means the speakers are damaged.

Overally, the should be fine.

As SDJ says, try new cables.

Console wouldn't be damaged in your scenario because all the console is doing is outputting a sound signal. The only time the console could be damaged is if the input jacks are damage. So something is physically wrong with it.

The speakers inputs could be damage from the wrong cable if it physically affects the input itself.

Easiest solution. Get known working cables and test them out on the console - TV connection.

Shutter Control
Ha "More Input?!" ....get it...stick out tongue
Originally posted by S_D_J
Let me see If I got this right:

You plugged the red&white jacks in the speaker's inlet/outlet right? I assume they are not compatible and you ended forcing them in, that should have (most likely) screwed up the jacks so they don't work properly.

the video jack (yellow) should be working fine since you didn't do anything with that one.

If I'm not mistaken, the composite cable works separately one from the other, like say 3 different cables independent from one another. just look at the composite cable of your DVD, they are separate from each other.

The PS2 composite cable is the same, the difference is that it connects to one single Multi-out jack in the back of the PS2 (kinda like a USB cable) it got pins in it and they work separate from each other as well (each pin). Those pins connect to the wire of each separate cable,Yup, only dealt with the red and white and I forgot they are actually 3 cables just glued to each other...lol.
If you didn't mess with that, the PS2 should most definetly be alright, the problem is your cables.When you say mess with the pins, do you mean something that is part of the other end of the AV cable (big USB like stick) or the inside of the inlet of a PS2? Inlet being a recession or something taking in the USB-like end of the AV cables.
the speaker shouldn't get damaged, just the inlet you plug the jacks in could get damaged.

The easiest solution ( if not the only one) is for you to get new cables... they don't have to be original PS2 cables, you can use PS1 composite cables... or PS3 composite cables you can find anywhere, they all use the same multi-out plug. wink Well if the inlets on the speaker are damaged...and the inlets are IMO non replaceable then oh well...but of course...I tested my speakers and they're doing alright. Man, I'm surprised such things would happen...aren't only SIGNALS being carried over? Why would this screw any of the equipment itself? To me that's like putting a PS2 disc in a PS1 or CD player and having them destroyed as a result. It should be electricity that damages equipments not mere sound/video signals, but that's just me wishing.

Originally posted by Smasandian
The only time the console could be damaged is if the input jacks are damage.Lolz the terminology...yeah what do you mean by input jacks? It's the red and white connectors right? If so I am...confused...I thought those were just part of the cables and not the PS2 itself...

S_D_J
well, yeah, if the inlet/outlet are damaged, then the speaker is damaged stick out tongue

but since you said the speakeris working fine, then it was just the red&white jacks that got screwed

Originally posted by Shutter Control
Ha "More Input?!" ....get it...stick out tongue
Yup, only dealt with the red and white and I forgot they are actually 3 cables just glued to each other...lol.

When you say mess with the pins, do you mean something that is part of the other end of the AV cable (big USB like stick) or the inside of the inlet of a PS2? Inlet being a recession or something taking in the USB-like end of the AV cables.

I mean both...sorta. The other end of the cable could get damaged, but I doubt you messed with those, so that should be fine.

the inside of inlet (on the back of the PS2) I asume you didn't touch either, so it should be fine aswell. If you mess with that hole, then the entire multiout (video/audio) signal of your PS2 would get damaged and won't work regardless of whatever cable. Don't touch it!

well, it seems you damaged the cables by forcing them somewhere they're not meant to fit stick out tongue

Lucky for you it sounds like it's just the cables that are screwed up, and not the PS2 nor the speaker... and that wouldn't have been much more (financially) troublesome big grin

he means the PS2 hole were you fit the fat USB-like end of the composite cable, as long as you don't mess with that it should all be fine

just get a new cable and try it out wink

BTW: plugging and unplugging the composite cable off the back of the PS2, most of the time, causes the cable to become loose and give out scratchy sound signal and lost of video feed

Shutter Control
Well I didn't mess with the other end of the AV cable or the jack in the PS2, and even if I did that's ok I traded in that ps2 on that same day since I bought a service plan for it and had it replaced. I was just asking all this...because I wanted to be sure my SPEAKERS weren't going to somehow transfer the same effect to anything else I connect it to! eek! like my 360, which, I used the adapter (picture in the first post of this thread) to connect my 360 to my computer speakers with a VGA cable, and used the video part of the VGA cable to attach to a computer monitor. I was just hoping these same speakers, I experimented with 5 years ago, weren't going to transfer some sort of effect over to my 360 and mess it up. Of course, this should all sound like pseudo science or bogus to you since I'm treating this like it's some kind of computer virus...which it isn't. I guess the only reason I think it can transfer anything is the fact the experiment damaged something as a result of connecting two things. So, I thought, if these two affected things touched something else that was clean, the new thing would also to an extent get affected. But, not only does this probably sound dumb to you but my speakers are apparently fine and since everyone agreed 100% that this particular experiment could have NOT affected my PS2, then the cable must have been the culprit.

Also I didn't force them in so to speak. They actually fit pretty much perfectly, they just weren't the right jacks.

Gonna get a 26 hdtv tomorrow hopefully...and a new laptop because I dropped mine yesterday on the floor. It would be completely fine since it landed on a soft thick carpet...had the power cord not been in it and as a result it bent the inlet on the side of the laptop and now it doesn't sense the power cord anymore. sad welcome to life Shutter.

S_D_J
if you're getting an HDTV them get an HDMI cable, all in one solution wink

Shutter Control
I would if only someone can convince me how's using component is noticeably worse...my elite came with component cables, and it has an HD option. Does HDMI create sharp clearer images or something?

Also, my TV is 720p (got it yesterday...) and if it can come in 1080p I would have gotten it, hell, even if the improvement isn't noticeable I'd still get it just for the fact it is actually better and sometimes I go up to my screen to see how good something actually looks (my TV kind of sucks ass up close...).

The problem though, is that SONY OR TOSHIBA (my best TV companies) does not make an HDTV that is smaller than 26" in 1080p in fact, both on their main websites the smallest hdtvs they sell are both 26" (the freaking thing doesn't even look small to be honest) and are 720p at best...

I find this very wierd because they are the most revered TV making companies, yet, comanies like Viewsonic and Auria make 24" 1080p displays...

S_D_J
24" 1080p are a waste of resolution, It's hard to even make out the difference, and that's when you're standing 8" away from the screen. you need at least a 40" screen just to make a difference from a fair distance (unless of course you're standing 8 inches away)

you're fine with the 360's original M$ component cable, it's by far one the best component cables out there (the very best for 360) and I'll have a hard time just trying to name at least one 360 game that outputs 1080p, 1080i works just fine.

this is why I brought the HDMI cable:
if you're getting an HDTV them get an HDMI cable, all in one solution wink

all in one cable, that only fits in its designated hole smile

there's hardly any difference between the HDMI and the original 360 component cable (I would dare say none) it's just that by using the HDMI port, you're free to use a component cable with your DVD and get a nice picture out of your DVD's... that's if you don't have an upscaler DVD with HDMI output.

but if you want better sound the easy way, just use your component cable, just don't forget to use the adapter for the audio jacks... don't make the same mistake again wink

Shutter Control
24" 1080p are a waste of resolution, It's hard to even make out the difference, and that's when you're standing 8" away from the screen. you need at least a 40" screen just to make a difference from a fair distance (unless of course you're standing 8 inches away)Do you agree with this:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.png

Took me a while to figure out what the fack it was talking about...so mine is 26" and my eyes are 9 feet away from it...yay or nay? haermm

you're fine with the 360's original M$ component cable, it's by far one the best component cables out there (the very best for 360) and I'll have a hard time just trying to name at least one 360 game that outputs 1080p, 1080i works just fine.Yeah, other half-assed HD cables just don't cut if...based on a lot of reviews at least.

By the way I always thought 1080i is just another way of saying 720p, found out it wasn't...overall 720p is superior. 1080i looks better on slow moving objects on screen whereas 720p is better at 60fps, just has "lower overall resolution"...something like that.

this is why I brought the HDMI cable:

all in one cable, that only fits in its designated hole smile

there's hardly any difference between the HDMI and the original 360 component cable (I would dare say none) it's just that by using the HDMI port, you're free to use a component cable with your DVD and get a nice picture out of your DVD's... that's if you don't have an upscaler DVD with HDMI output.

but if you want better sound the easy way, just use your component cable, just don't forget to use the adapter for the audio jacks... don't make the same mistake again wink LOL - I actually realized earlier myself I can use that adapter for my speakers...since it came free with the VGA cable I purchased, to make use of my computer monitor however...I don't find any decent place for the speakers on my desktop. I would have to put it behind the tv so it doesn't cover some of the picture, but there's not even enough space for that unless I move my TV up a bit which I don't want to do but I'd do it for the speakers...except, now this computer won't have the speakers attached to them and it's a case of going back and forth and the speakers are white and the TV is black...ah **** it. Here goes lol and I'm definitely using the adapters this time...otherwise...my speakers will die (ha...like that happened 5 years ago stick out tongue) and definitely not my 360 according to what all have said...but the component cable might go to hell. To adapters! thumbsup

Edit: actually hell no...I don't have a remote for these speakers. How am I going to adjust the volume by not getting up? laughing ermm

S_D_J
I agree with the chart. My TV is 32" LG and I usually stand 7 feet away from it. At that distance I have a hard time noticing any differences between 720p or 1080p.

Strangely enough my 360 looks way better at 720p than 1080p, while my PS3 looks beautiful at 1080p... though I'm talking about video here, games make no difference since they all output 720p, except for MGS4... that one needs to be experience at 1080p.

just be careful with the component cable, if you mess that up, you could find cheaper cables, though none of them matches the quality of the original.

Shutter Control
...what the hell? no expression

So how do I tell what is the max resolution for a game? I look on the back of all my 360 games, and they have "420p/720p/1080i/1080p" on the back (actually not sure if it says 420p at the beginning) but still...so how do I find out what is the game's max?

Smasandian
...what the hell? no expression

So how do I tell what is the max resolution for a game? I look on the back of all my 360 games, and they have "420p/720p/1080i/1080p" on the back (actually not sure if it says 420p at the beginning) but still...so how do I find out what is the game's max?

Those numbers mean that the game will output video at that resolution.

For example, if the game goes 420/720p, that means the game will only work at 720p, no matter if the console is outputting at 1080p.

S_D_J
^
thumb up

To enjoy Full HD (1080p) your console needs to be configured at that resolution.
once the game boots up, it automatically changes the resolution to the maximun the game allows....
so even when you're on the dashboard at 1080p, once the game boots up it changes to the in game maximum (which is usually 720p, sometimes 1080i, and rarely 1080p)

it depends on the game, most output 720p/1080i as max resolution. I really can't remember which games offer 1080p, but those are just a few.

the game max should be the last number it's got printed, though you will need an HDMI cable (no matter what) to output 1080p, the component cable max resolution is 720p/1080i, it cannot output 1080p, the HDMI cable is the only one capable of that (and higher)

Shutter Control
...well of my 7 360 games, they all have 1080p on the back (along with 1080i and 720p) and I wasn't looking for which has 1080p when buying them (the whole time I had the SDTV), so I just find it wierd that they all have 1080p on the back. My games are:

Dead or Alive 4
Halo 3
Devil May Cry 4
Soul Calibur 4
DBZ Burst Limit
Tekken 6
The Darkness

By the way what is upscaling? Would any upscaling occur if I set my 360 to 1080p on the dashboard, while my TV is at 720p?

Smasandian
Upscaling is converter a lower resolution image to a higher resolution image.

For example, converting a 720p video to 1080p. While it might be better than 720p, unless the video is made for 1080p your not really getting the full advantage of the 1080p.

That's why most games are 720p and you won't really see the difference between 720p upscaled to 1080p. You will see difference between a 720p native game and a 1080p native game.

Shutter Control
the game max should be the last number it's got printed, though you will need an HDMI cable (no matter what) to output 1080p, the component cable max resolution is 720p/1080i, it cannot output 1080p, the HDMI cable is the only one capable of that (and higher) http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360componenthdcable/

says it can do 1080p beware

Shutter Control
Originally posted by Smasandian
Upscaling is converter a lower resolution image to a higher resolution image.

For example, converting a 720p video to 1080p. While it might be better than 720p, unless the video is made for 1080p your not really getting the full advantage of the 1080p.Do you mean video, like, the Xbox when I choose 1080p on the dashboard (it has options 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p)?

S_D_J
...well of my 7 360 games, they all have 1080p on the back (along with 1080i and 720p) and I wasn't looking for which has 1080p when buying them (the whole time I had the SDTV), so I just find it wierd that they all have 1080p on the back. My games are:

Dead or Alive 4
Halo 3
Devil May Cry 4
Soul Calibur 4
DBZ Burst Limit
Tekken 6
The Darkness

By the way what is upscaling? Would any upscaling occur if I set my 360 to 1080p on the dashboard, while my TV is at 720p?

I just took a look at a few of my 360 games, and yep, some do say to output 1080p (Naruto and Batman AA apparently). I don't see much of a difference though.

HALO 3 does not output 1080p, it doesn't even properly output 720p, it runs at a slower resolution (634p or something) with an steady framerate. what it does is upscale the resolution (makes bigger pixels, while smoothing the ones around), but that's not 1080p, nor even 720p erm

oh, Tekken 6 in no way outputs 1080p, while it may say it does, the resolution of the game leaves much to be desired. the texture resolutions are poor for a game released this year. It clearly hasn't been touched since it was released 2 years ago in arcades

I just looked at the box of my PS3 Tekken 6 version, and it clearly says 720p. While it could say 1080p on the Xbox version, it most definitely means the 360 can upscale the picture (to stretch it) to fit a 1080p resolution, but that isn't Full HD, just a little zoom no expression

I actually based the native resolution of the game with the PS3 version. That one says the real maximum resolution. I can't say the same for exclusive 360 titles, since the 360 more often than not upscales the picture to 1080p

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360componenthdcable/

says it can do 1080p beware

yep it says that... does your TV accept 1080p through component?

some TVs do (more nowadays apparently) but it's more common that they accept the signal through HDMI than component.

a common problem is that component in all of its glory, it's still an analog signal, that can degrade with the length of the cable or its usage. HDMI is digital and it suffers from none of those problems.

For example, my TV won't accept the 1080p signal from the 360 with component, It needs the HDMI

and while some TV's can tell you it's outputting at 1080p, in reality they're not, they are upscaling/downscaling the picture to match that of the TV's native resolution ( for most 720p TV's their native resolution could either be 720p or 1,366x768p and odd resolutions in between) so 1080p doesn't always mean 1080p.

Do you mean video, like, the Xbox when I choose 1080p on the dashboard (it has options 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p)?

you can set whatever resolution your TV accepts, just know that maybe your TV is downscaling a larger resolution to fit that of your TV.
The best way to get the best quality out of your TV is to have your console match the native resolution of your TV (it should be printed in the manual or in the box of your TV)

while apparently, more games are offering 1080p, the truth is not many do so for real. The games get upscaled (in other words: pixels get bloated and smoothed) but the resolution of the textures remain the same, there's no actual benefit, and sometimes looks worse... all too blurry. AC2 on PS3 has the option to output 1080p, but it looks mostly horrible since it is actually (and not a secret that it is) upscaling the picture.

The 360 does a hell of a good job upscaling (the PS3 apparently doesn't bother with it) but it's best to match the native resolution wink

now If you're talking about Video (like say a Movie) then the differences are much more noticeable. A DVD running at 420p looks good, but if you use an upscaler, it looks much better, brighter colors and smoother edges, but in no way it can match the detail in a 720p movie....
and a 1080p movie it's a whole other issue (if you got the display to properly output it)

EDIT: take a look at this quote

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

Shutter Control
I just took a look at a few of my 360 games, and yep, some do say to output 1080p (Naruto and Batman AA apparently). I don't see much of a difference though.

HALO 3 does not output 1080p, it doesn't even properly output 720p, it runs at a slower resolution (634p or something) with an steady framerate. what it does is upscale the resolution (makes bigger pixels, while smoothing the ones around), but that's not 1080p, nor even 720p erm

oh, Tekken 6 in no way outputs 1080p, while it may say it does, the resolution of the game leaves much to be desired. the texture resolutions are poor for a game released this year. It clearly hasn't been touched since it was released 2 years ago in arcades

I just looked at the box of my PS3 Tekken 6 version, and it clearly says 720p. While it could say 1080p on the Xbox version, it most definitely means the 360 can upscale the picture (to stretch it) to fit a 1080p resolution, but that isn't Full HD, just a little zoom no expression

I actually based the native resolution of the game with the PS3 version. That one says the real maximum resolution. I can't say the same for exclusive 360 titles, since the 360 more often than not upscales the picture to 1080p

yep it says that... does your TV accept 1080p through component?

some TVs do (more nowadays apparently) but it's more common that they accept the signal through HDMI than component.

a common problem is that component in all of its glory, it's still an analog signal, that can degrade with the length of the cable or its usage. HDMI is digital and it suffers from none of those problems.

For example, my TV won't accept the 1080p signal from the 360 with component, It needs the HDMI

and while some TV's can tell you it's outputting at 1080p, in reality they're not, they are upscaling/downscaling the picture to match that of the TV's native resolution ( for most 720p TV's their native resolution could either be 720p or 1,366x768p and odd resolutions in between) so 1080p doesn't always mean 1080p.

you can set whatever resolution your TV accepts, just know that maybe your TV is downscaling a larger resolution to fit that of your TV.
The best way to get the best quality out of your TV is to have your console match the native resolution of your TV (it should be printed in the manual or in the box of your TV)

while apparently, more games are offering 1080p, the truth is not many do so for real. The games get upscaled (in other words: pixels get bloated and smoothed) but the resolution of the textures remain the same, there's no actual benefit, and sometimes looks worse... all too blurry. AC2 on PS3 has the option to output 1080p, but it looks mostly horrible since it is actually (and not a secret that it is) upscaling the picture.

The 360 does a hell of a good job upscaling (the PS3 apparently doesn't bother with it) but it's best to match the native resolution wink

now If you're talking about Video (like say a Movie) then the differences are much more noticeable. A DVD running at 420p looks good, but if you use an upscaler, it looks much better, brighter colors and smoother edges, but in no way it can match the detail in a 720p movie....
and a 1080p movie it's a whole other issue (if you got the display to properly output it)

EDIT: take a look at this quote

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/ Hmm...ok. Yeah I guess it's on the back (they are on the back of all my 360 games...) but could just mean they can be running on a 1080p TV or when the console is set to 1080p, but the game itself can only go up to 720p (Halo 3 isn't 720p even? Then what is it?)

Spent hours searching for 24-26 inch lcd tv's and honestly wanted 1080p, but all are not even by Toshiba, or Sony, or much reputable companies. Rather they are from companies I've never heard of in my life...Vizio, Viore, Viewsonic (I now call the 3 V's :laughsmile, Auria...what else...and, the best pick of 26 inch lcd TV's went to the one I happened to purchase EVEN THOUGH it's not even in 1080p...wierd. Yeah I may not notice a difference (if I didn't spend time looking for it) but sometimes I like to go up to my screen and actually 1080p is a tad bit over DOUBLE when it comes to overall amount of pixels...1080p has around 2,000,000 and 720p has around 900,000...

But, I am about to move my chair back a little bit (a bit more, since I already did so yesterday) yay to better resolution (going back farther could be like making the resolution better laughing stick out tongue)

I still want to bang Sony in the face for making 32 the smallest size for 1080p and not 26...my Tekken buddy on live has a 32 sony XBR that is 1080p. Also, you have it for PS3? Well, great. At least you're not having D-pad issues. laughing And, we all know you got it for that console so you will not be harrassed by me to play me. evil face

S_D_J
For the game to run at 1080p, the console needs to be set at 1080p and the TV needs to have a native resolution of 1080p (or at least accept the 1080p signal)... then it will be output at that resolution (by having the 360 upscale it, most likely)

Halo 3 (and ODST) runs at 640p, and then the xbox upscale the image
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/28/halo-3-not-hd-runs-at-640p-pixel-counters-claim/

Vizio are actually quite good, and unexpensieve

Viewsonic has been around for a long time (PC monitors) I don't now how their LCDs are, though

while your TV might only be 720p, it can display 1080i. you do see an increase in overall resolution, but when it runs at much higher speed it can become a little fuzzy smile

I was going to get Tekken 6 for 360 (I probably will sometime) but the PS3 version arrived here first, so I went with that one big grin

Shutter Control
For the game to run at 1080p, the console needs to be set at 1080p and the TV needs to have a native resolution of 1080p (or at least accept the 1080p signal)...But, wouldn't the game also have to be in 1080p?

Also if a TV doesn't have a native of 1080p, how can a game that is in 1080p, and the console being set to 1080p, produce a 1080p image? Something is missing here and that is the TV being in 1080p in the first place...

then it will be output at that resolution (by having the 360 upscale it, most likely)

Halo 3 (and ODST) runs at 640p, and then the xbox upscale the image
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/28/halo-3-not-hd-runs-at-640p-pixel-counters-claim/

Vizio are actually quite good, and unexpensieve

Viewsonic has been around for a long time (PC monitors) I don't now how their LCDs are, though

while your TV might only be 720p, it can display 1080i. you do see an increase in overall resolution, but when it runs at much higher speed it can become a little fuzzy smile

I was going to get Tekken 6 for 360 (I probably will sometime) but the PS3 version arrived here first, so I went with that one big grin I think the only benefit of setting the console/TV to 1080p is if the game itself is running at the same resolution.

But it seems you're saying the console will upscale a game that is not in 1080p (which I believe) but how is the TV going to produce the desired result when it's native resolution is not 1080p? Because I think setting the TV to 1080p will only benefit a game that is in 1080p. I don't think the 720p TV will produce a better Tekken 6 if the game is in 720p, even if you set the console/TV to 1080p.

S_D_J
But, wouldn't the game also have to be in 1080p?

Yes.

It can't. To properly produce the 1080p signal, the console needs to be set at that signal, the game/video needs to have that resolution natively, as well as the TV. There's no real benefit to setting it at highest res if the TV can't properly display it. The thing is: some TV's that are 720p accept an 1080p signal, while others (like SONYs) don't. Those that do accept it downscale the image before output, but there's no benefit... arguably because many 720p are 768p natively and benefit somewhat of the added resolution... if the TV is 32" and you're standing 10" away from it erm

YES...

Yes to that too.

To be honest, I never bothered setting my 360 at 1080p. Is hooked up via component cable. I only tried the HDMI once, but never saw a real difference between both settings no expression, so I never actually played an upscaled game.
My PS3 is set at 1080p and I notice (somehow) a difference between 720p and 1080p, though the PS3 changes is setting to match the max native res of the game. So while on the XMB or watching a BR, my TV is indeed set at 1080p (whenever I press the "display" button of my remote, it shows) but when I press play on the game, the display changes to 720p and I can't do anything about it ...except when the game is natively running (or internally upscaled like AC2) at 1080p

You shouldn't worry about it though, 720p is fine by a long mile wink

Shutter Control
...holy...

Wait a minute though, you reminded me of something...

My TV...ACTUALLY isn't even...

or wait...lol I goofed up...

Ok, my TV is 720p however this is actually "768 by 1366" not 720 by 1280...which 720p I think should be, because this would then be 2/3 of 1080p resolution

but 720p on my TV is "768 x 1366" so it's actually more than 2/3 of 1080p, although the overall number of pixels is barely over half of 1080p.

I was going to ask...if the game is set at 720p, is it set at 720 x 1280 or 768 x 1366? erm

I think it doesn't really matter since either way, my TV is still going to produce the best image of a "720p" game because something 720p is either going to be 720 or 768, and my TV is 768.

S_D_J
720p.... it just gets upscaled by your TV, but it will always be 720p

Shutter Control
So you're saying the game is 720 x 1280 pixels, so my TV's native resolution which is 768 x 1366 will upscale the game? Sweet.

S_D_J
pretty much!

Shutter Control
Are cotton balls safe to use on CD's? Just asking...

S_D_J
never tried it. I usually use a smooth cloth.. like the one used to clean glasses

Shutter Control
Yeah I was thinking of just buying that...though I thought pure cotton was as soft as soft can get lolz...

No End N Site
I tried that before as well and no sound came out at all. But everything was okay afterwards. May have just damaged the cables.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.