2010 The Year DVD Dies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WickedDynamite
Well, I been objective and keeping away from Blu-ray simply because I'm happy with DVD. However, this year the tide is changing. With cheaper Blu-ray players and the lower PS3 prices, will Blu-ray finally put an end to DVD like it did with HD DVD?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/183940/will_2010_finally_be_blurays_year.html

MildPossession

BackFire
DVD's won't be 'dead' for another 10 years or so.

Bluray is still new and scary for a lot of people. Plus there's still many people who don't have HD TV's.

Though I do think 2010 will be the year where Bluray becomes more mainstream. I know for Christmas we're going to be getting a Bluray player finally. I imagine it will be the same for many people because of the falling prices of the players.

coolmovies
Dvd will be around for another five years i like both formats. I still need to get a HD tv

Kazenji
And besides you can keep most of the dvds since not every single title has'nt been brought out on Blu-Ray

as for the players just get one that does both.

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by BackFire

Bluray is still new and scary for a lot of people. Plus there's still many people who don't have HD TV's.

Though I do think 2010 will be the year where Bluray becomes more mainstream. I know for Christmas we're going to be getting a Bluray player finally. I imagine it will be the same for many people because of the falling prices of the players.

Hey man! Congrats!

Looking forward to reading your reviews.

The Nuul
Originally posted by BackFire

Though I do think 2010 will be the year where Bluray becomes more mainstream.

thumb up

MildPossession
I believe ALL blu ray players play both dvds and blu ray anyway. Also most now can be hacked to play multi region dvd, and other region blu ray discs. I have a blu ray player that can play any disc, dvd or blu ray. Recommend because Blu rays are quite cheap from America compared to here.

-Pr-
my blockbuster says that they're expecting to have at least half the store dedicated to bluray by the end of next year, which tbh shocked me.

i hope dvd lasts a while, though.

WickedDynamite
This is pretty much a no-no topic here on KMC (so I will not dwell deep into this type of discussion) but lately the bootlegers for new and upcoming release movies are pretty much helping dvd...the price and quality have improve.

However, I will not discuss it any further. Thank you

Juk3n
The quality difference between Blue-ray and DVD is not great enough to justify me spending 24.99 on Star-trek blue-ray and 6.99 on dvd.

Hell no.

MildPossession

WickedDynamite

coolmovies
Blu ray disks are cheaper online

Kinneary

coolmovies

BackFire
You can get blurays at a decent price if you get them the week they're released. Lot of stores do sales the first week to try and move as many copies as possible.

Tired-Hiker
Back when DVDs came out, the quality of picture was extremely noticeabley better compared to VHS. Blu-ray is much better than DVD, of course. However, the coparison isn't as profound as DVD to VHS, so I think DVD will be the staple for a long long time.

BackFire
I agree. VHS to DVD was mindblowing. DVD to bluray is just very good.

FistOfThe North
I don't know about 2010. DVD's are still raking in hundreds of millions of dollars to a couple billion in annual sales globally. But that's down from many multiple billions about a half decade ago.

the grave of the digital video discs will more likely have : "Heres lies DVD: 1997-2020" written on it's tombstone. and if any medium will still be on a cd type of disc. virtual/holographic media discs are next. they hold like 1 terabyte of space and are supose to blow the blu ray concept out of the water.

coolmovies
I agree with you there but holographic disks wont be out till 2020

FistOfThe North
messed up on a sentence on that post.

i meant to write "if anything media will still be on a cd/dvd type of disc."

And that includes "holographic discs" that'll be out in 2020. So the dvd format maybe dead by then but the physical CD will still be there. Until every thing is just a digital stream.

But if anything ever does takes over the disc it'll be what Netflix is doing.

i also forsee a single (small) unit seamlessly merging tv, radio, the internet, phone, home, and auto with the device becoming the standard by 2020.

coolmovies
we will have to wait and see ..

MildPossession

DarthLazious
DVD's have sooo many good years ahead. VHS had 30 years before they stoped making them.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
gosh, dvds? there's even a lotta stuff around here that still sells VCDs because they're significantly cheaper than dvds - even more so blu-rays, and blu-rays aren't that used much here in my country, so yeah, i don't think dvds are gonna die soon.

xJLxKing
DVD will not lose until PC starts using Blu Ray. The Prices also have to drop. The Majority of people try to buy what's cheaper. There aren't many people who can fully utilize Blu Ray.

Bluesteel
Blu-Ray will hopefully become more mainstream in 2010 and onwards, someone mentioned VHS to DVD was mind blowing, but with an HD TV, watching a blu-ray movie is VHS-DVD tenfold imo. But it's tricky certain movies from back in the early 90's and older dont all benefit so much from blu ray. But movies like TDK, Incredible Hulk, and Star Wars (new once) where the recording cameras were top notch the scaling becomes much better and Blu-Ray just dominates. I watched Die Hard 1 on blu-ray and it was rubbish, it was just like watching a regular DVD movie which was upscaled, then I agree that blu-ray is only fairly good, but high production movies look so sweet that I dont even want to go back to DVD's (almost)

Anyway the PS 3's have an upscaler (I think most Blu Ray players do) and when you play a DVD in it, it becomes MUCH better then if you played the same movie in your regular DVD player, I'd say it's close to 720p quality, not quite but it's not far from it so you may still keep your dvd's around. Blu-Ray is more for movies that emphesias on good photography, effects, and just in general look good. I couldint really care less if I saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest on DVD or Blu-Ray, but if I had to watch The Good, Bad and the Ugly, I'd not pass up the chacne to see it on Blu Ray, that movie is so beautifully shot, just amazing, and luckily some cameras that they used a couple decades ago were really good. I saw 2001 a Space Odyssey a coulpe weeks ago and it was breathtaking.

coolmovies
I agree with you bluseteel new movies will look amazing and old ones not so good. I still think its too early for blu ray to take over Dvd.

MildPossession
Old ones can still look AMAZING, you only need to watch The Red Shoes to see, looks sublime on blu ray.

All blu ray players upscale I believe.

coolmovies
and i thought you didn't like blu ray roll eyes (sarcastic)

Myth
As I just said in the other thread, I have a DVD collection, but I have stopped adding to it. I still rent DVDs, but instead of spending about $30+ per month on buying DVDs, I only spend about $3 a month renting DVDs. If others are slowing with buying movies, DVDs are going to go down fast.

AsbestosFlaygon
Doubt it.

Standalone BluRay players are still relatively expensive in most countries outside the US.

In times like these, people will stick to what they have.. and that is their old, reliable DVD player.

Maybe when the global economy finally recovers, and prices go down, people will have the purchasing power to buy BluRay players.

But for now, it really isn't a necessity imho..

coolmovies

WickedDynamite
We're half way the year....so any big changes you guys notice? I've notice one at my local Fry's Electronics. When you enter the store the first thing you see is a PS3 playing Blu-ray movies. Most of the main titles for DVD have been move back to end of the isle and now Blu-ray have taken their place.

MildPossession
Nope, shops here DVD is still the main % of the shop floor with a section section for blu rays.

Deano
blue ray is a con. stupid whores the lot of em!

Impediment
F*ck Blu-ray.

ADarksideJedi
I think it may go to Blue ray but as long as they have normal DVDs out I don't care and I think the blue ray is the same as a normal DVD anyway.

MildPossession
BLU-ray, and they're not the same as dvd, but you can play dvds on a blu ray player. The blu ray player will also upscale your dvds to a quality that will look closer to blu ray quality/sharper.

It's hardly a con when you can buy most blu ray new releases at the same price of dvd new releases if you look around.

You just need to put in the blu ray of Avatar to see the difference in quality. Anyone who says there is no difference either doesn't have the right television, lying and talking out of their arse or needs glasses. smile

Saying that, I still buy dvds also.

ADarksideJedi
I had watched them and I still think it looks the same but whatever I am going to buy DVDs too no matter what.

MildPossession
You obviously fall into one of the catagories I mentioned then, or watched a film that didn't get a good blu ray transfer. stick out tongue

BruceSkywalker
DVD will never die

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by MildPossession
You obviously fall into one of the catagories I mentioned then, or watched a film that didn't get a good blu ray transfer. stick out tongue

Maybe but I still don't see the big deal with Blu Ray.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Maybe but I still don't see the big deal with Blu Ray.

erm Neither do I and I have seen high quality blue rays on a high quality tv

ADarksideJedi
See it makes no sence.I wish they would just keep things normal with using just plain DVDs.

chomperx9
the DVD format will still be around for along time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.