2009 Antagonist of the Year

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Who (in this year) do you think is the biggest, most baddest villain in videogames?

ArtificialGlory
The Lich King or Yogg-Saron.

From the list: either Wesker or Makarov.

One Free Man
Roxas. You wanted him to die (so that sora could wake), yet you were forced to play him. He was likable as well.

BoratBorat
Why is Makarov up there? He had so little screen time compared to Shepherd and Zakaev...

And wheres Teryn Loghain? Because i felt he was 2009's best game villain.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by BoratBorat
Why is Makarov up there? He had so little screen time compared to Shepherd and Zakaev...

And wheres Teryn Loghain? Because i felt he was 2009's best game villain.

Shepard and Zakaev didn't start a war between Moscow, Russia and the United States now did they?

I'm sorry, who?

Ridley_Prime
Your struggle is over! One glimpse of the new world and it will all make perfect sense.

ESB -1138
Bowser!!

No End N Site
Seth from SFIV is Gei-ist, that's for sure.

KingD19
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Shepard and Zakaev didn't start a war between Moscow, Russia and the United States now did they?

I'm sorry, who?

You've got a point, with his several sound bites, and 10 minutes of screen time, Makarov did a helluva lotta damage.

Loghain was the general of the king's army in Dragon Age, he left the king and his main force to die(which they did) from overwhelming Darkspawn numbers. After that, he used strategy to seize power from his daughter, who was acting queen since the king was killed. He became as powerful as one can be without being the actual king.(Can't remember his title) Then he locked his daughter up so she couldn't oppose him. This of course was after he branded the Gray Warden's traitor's to the kingdowm, so he could cover his own ass.

And here's the kicker....he did all this....because he still held a grudge against a now friendly foreign nation over a war that happened years ago, all because of the atrocities the other side committed during the war. And it was made worse because he was doing the same thing, like holding powerful political figures captive, torturing them, selling elves into slavery, etc...

BoratBorat
Shepard and Zakaev didn't start a war between Moscow, Russia and the United States now did they? Shepherd was the real mastermind behind the shit storm, and zakaev had far more screen time than makarov and some actual back story.

I'm sorry, who? Some one else answered that.

Peach

I'm sorry, who?

Play better games. Then you'd know who.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by No End N Site
Seth from SFIV is Gei-ist, that's for sure.
Aw, hell nah! Seth was basically just SFIV's version of Dark Khan. Completely unoriginal, gay.

BoratBorat
Originally posted by Peach
Play better games. Then you'd know who. Pwned.

ArtificialGlory

Ouch. Zinger.

Ridley_Prime
Insulting Nemesis's taste in games got old a long time ago.

WickedDynamite
Why is Rodrigo Borga there?

(Don't answer I don't give a shit)

Winners in my book:

Bowser and Makarov

Digi

Ooooh, condescending jabs at their lack of hardcore gaming. Gawd, thas was so hot.

droolio

Ridley_Prime
no expression

Anyhow, what exactly did Bowser do this year to be worth mentioning by anyone in this thread? Haven't kept up on the Mario games, I wouldn't know. He's not even on the poll, but Super Mario Galaxy is probably one of the only games (within the last few years) where I've actually taken him seriously as an antagonist. Otherwise, he's a joke villain.

One Free Man

I'm sorry, who? The answer to your question.

Nemesis X

Everything you like, I seem to hate now.

Phanteros
Nemsis is butthurt.

Ridley_Prime
Everything you like, I seem to hate now.
RAGE!

Someone answer my question about Bowser though please. I'd really like to know what he's done this year that makes him so special as to be mentioned by a couple people despite not being on the poll...

KingD19
Bowser is so evil, that after kidnapping Princess Peach yet again.(THAT FIEND!!!), he begs Mario and Luigi to save him from some severe indigestion.

Ridley_Prime
Ah yes. What an awful monster he is! That bastard.

§P0oONY
Out of the ones listed I would go for Visari, killer opening speach.

Nemesis X
Terrible reason for Bowser and most antagonists discussed in here aren't in the poll.

Peach
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
RAGE!

Someone answer my question about Bowser though please. I'd really like to know what he's done this year that makes him so special as to be mentioned by a couple people despite not being on the poll...

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

Terrible reason for Bowser and most antagonists discussed in here aren't in the poll.

Good thing the poll isn't the end-all-be-all of the subject.

Neo Darkhalen
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

Good thing the poll isn't the end-all-be-all of the subject.

Although he wasn't a villain, granted Bowser is the grandfather of video game villains, but he hasn't done anything evil in "inside story" however Fawful the main villain of said game has, I would also like to point out Fawful sucessfully conqured the entire mushroom kingdom/bowsers kingdom so really when Bowser has been trying to do the same thing for god knows how long and Fawful does it in his very first attempt at being a main villain it kind of puts things in perspective.

tl;dr: Bowser is the grandfather of video game villains but he hasn't done anything evil this year, Fawful the main villain of Bowsers inside story actually has he sucessfully conqured the entire mushroom kingdom ergo he was more of a villain then bowser this year, also he needs to go on the list.

Peach
What about New Super Mario Bros Wii? stick out tongue

Neo Darkhalen
What about New Super Mario Bros Wii? stick out tongue

Ahh yeah there's NSMBW (forgot about that one embarrasment) Although I've always found him kidnapping peach to be more of an annoyance/nuisance tactic then outright villany, he just seems like he wants some attention.

So I guess you kinda can count that, even if it's not exactly evil to the extent the listed villains indulged themselves in. Oh and again Fawful took over the entire kingdom which I still think puts him ahead of Bowser this year.

-Pr-
Shephard > Makarov by far, imo.

Also, Loghain should also be on that list. It's rare that i've wanted to kill a villain as much as i've wanted to kill him.

Same goes for Shephard.

DaddyB
I dont understand what really happened in MW2 sadly. Mak was pretty good know.

BoratBorat
Originally posted by -Pr-
Shephard > Makarov by far, imo.

Also, Loghain should also be on that list. It's rare that i've wanted to kill a villain as much as i've wanted to kill him.

Same goes for Shephard. ^ This. Makarov was nothing but the instigator and a tool for shepherd.

Nemesis X
Makarov is the one who caused the war between Russia and America. Have you not seen the fight where Russia invades the United States? All that was caused by Makarov. While I admit on what Shepard did was fantastic for an antagonist, I still don't think he's on the level with Makarov where you can get two countries to fight eachother like crazy.

Allankles
Of the 2009 releases I've played, got to say Loghain is up there, surprised he's not on the poll. Shephard would be by no.2 and Borgia my no. 3 (although he's no Al Mualim).

KingD19
Loghain is the number 1. By leaving the battlefield, he allowed the King, his Son-in-Law to die. And it got steadily worse from there. He was actually willing to ignore the very real threat of an Archdemon, and then he tried to kill/enslave the only people who could stop it. And if the Grey Warden's hadn't been around, the Archdemon and the Darkspawn would have destroyed everything and everyone.

BoratBorat
Makarov is the one who caused the war between Russia and America. Have you not seen the fight where Russia invades the United States? All that was caused by Makarov. While I admit on what Shepard did was fantastic for an antagonist, I still don't think he's on the level with Makarov where you can get two countries to fight eachother like crazy. Yeah and makarov had nothing but a few minutes of screen time, you blatantly forget that it was shepherds plan that caused russia to invade america and that makarov was merely his tool to instigate the war, makarov would not be able to do it if it wasn't for shepherd and makarov was a pawn to be disposed off later.

Shepherd is a far greater villain that makarov, he is willing to kill his own people just to make a name for america, makarov didn't even want to kill his own people, the russians.

Oh and loghain is number one villian of 2009.

Nemesis X
Nice of you to argue with me since I ain't a moderator and can't change the poll so great job arguing something pointless.

DaddyB
He just wants to prove you wrong which he cleary has. The thing thats pointless is the poll seeing so many important villains missing, maybe someone with some real gameing knowledge should have made it.

Peach
These polls are always pointless.

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by KingD19
Bowser is so evil, that after kidnapping Princess Peach yet again.(THAT FIEND!!!), he begs Mario and Luigi to save him from some severe indigestion.

Bowswer is always one of the villains that wants to be hated but always wins our laughter.

I just love him. laughing out loud

Nemesis X
Originally posted by DaddyB
The thing thats pointless is the poll seeing so many important villains missing, maybe someone with some real gameing knowledge should have made it.

You should also go seek some knowledge on how to spell gaming right. I don't exactly play every videogame that comes into existence so bite me.

KingD19
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
Bowswer is always one of the villains that wants to be hated but always wins our laughter.

I just love him. laughing out loud

Check it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT5F6LcwNEw - Mad Mad Mario

Ms.Marvel
crylaugh

so true. so true. **** nintendo.

KingD19
Makes Bowser look like a real badass huh?

Ridley_Prime
I honestly don't know if I can bring myself to use badass.

In the same sentence as Bowser anymore.

Allankles
I'd have to say the same about Ganondorf. Pretty bad ass in OOT, ok in TWW. Nowhere near that now, TP only diluted him further.

Ridley_Prime
I disagree about the TP part. He was pretty awesome in that game too IMO, but as for Wind Waker, I concur.. though that goes without saying.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.