Why do Athiest post here

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Colossus-Big C
they come in the forums and mainly go against what these topics are even about. IMO if you don't believe in god then you really shouldn't be posting here.
Like if there was a gay bar, Would a normal guy walk into a gay bar expressing opinions against gays? no

King Kandy
you know like 95% of this forum is atheist... if we all left the place would be a ghost town.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by King Kandy
you know like 95% of this forum is atheist... if we all left the place would be a ghost town. Well people have the right to believe what they believe in. like in the god threads. they are people strictly pointing out that "there is no god". when even about half of scientist believe in god. what im saying is that if you don't believe in something thats fine just don't try to persuade someone out of what they believe.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
they come in the forums and mainly go against what these topics are even about. IMO if you don't believe in god then you really shouldn't be posting here.
Like if there was a gay bar, Would a normal guy walk into a gay bar expressing opinions against gays? no

This is a religion forum, and not a Christian forum.

The question that I think is more important is, why do people who are offended by the views of others, continue to post on this forum?

Shakyamunison
Well people have the right to believe what they believe in. like in the god threads. they are people strictly pointing out that "there is no god". when even about half of scientist believe in god. what im saying is that if you don't believe in something thats fine just don't try to persuade someone out of what they believe.

As long as you do the same. We ether all talk freely, or we all stfu. big grin

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Shakyamunison

The question that I think is more important is, why do people who are offended by the views of others, continue to post on this forum? I am not offended I am just posing a question.

Colossus-Big C
As long as you do the same. We ether all talk freely, or we all stfu. big grin laughing out loud what a way to put it

Shakyamunison
I am not offended I am just posing a question.

With no reason behind it? I find that hard to believe.

Colossus-Big C
With no reason behind it? I find that hard to believe. if there was some type of "Gay" forums and straight men starting posting there, you wouldn't think some one would ask "Why do straight men post here?".

Im not offended really.

inimalist
Well people have the right to believe what they believe in.

/thread

AsbestosFlaygon
Because each and every one of us has his/her own free will to post anywhere and anything he/she wants, in any forum for that matter.

Hope that answered your question.

Shakyamunison
if there was some type of "Gay" forums and straight men starting posting there, you wouldn't think some one would ask "Why do straight men post here?".

Im not offended really.

Your analogy falls flat. That would be true if this was a different forum. This is a debate forum on the topic of religion.

A debate forum on the topic of gays would have to have non gays posting in it, or it would not be a debate forum.

Colossus-Big C
Your analogy falls flat. That would be true if this was a different forum. This is a debate forum on the topic of religion.

A debate forum on the topic of gays would have to have non gays posting in it, or it would not be a debate forum. Ok then i didnt know this was a debate forum, it first looked like a forum were religious people talk and help each other with certain problems

Symmetric Chaos
Atheists have opinions on religion. It is still stupid for people to post in a thread and start by rejecting the basic premise, however.

A debate forum on the topic of gays would have to have non gays posting in it, or it would not be a debate forum.

I'm pretty sure that gay people disagreements.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Atheists have opinions on religion. It is still stupid for people to post in a thread and start by rejecting the basic premise, however.

I'm pretty sure that gay people disagreements.

Sorry for my over simplification, but it was necessary.

Mairuzu

Easy answer here. They're puppets of satan unknowingly being used. Well now they know, and deny it they will. They're here to get in your head, to test your faith. They never quit.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Easy answer here. They're puppets of satan unknowingly being used. Well now they know, and deny it they will. They're here to get in your head, to test your faith. They never quit.

laughing What are you smoking?

Mairuzu
Nothing as of this moment.

Digi
Big-C: What part of "public discussion forums" don't you understand? This thread is an attack on those who would freely use the forums for religious discussion, and frankly is insulting. Your comments also suggest that atheists are here only to troll and convert, though the same could be said of any poster of any religious faith (or lack thereof) who posts in a negative manner.

So your ideas and analogies are way off. It's not people walking into a gay bar to bash them. It's more like hosting a panel on whether or not school uniforms should be allowed in schools, but you would be the one only inviting those who are for them.

dadudemon
you know like 95% of this forum is atheist... if we all left the place would be a ghost town.

AND there would be no discussion...or at least no intelligent discussion.

Wild Shadow
what do people consider Athiest?

b/c i bn called one just b/c i dont share their view on the same religion that i study..

and why cant people post in a religious debate forum. i mean it's not like we as a kmc community are going to a christian site and posting anti christian religious view

Shakyamunison
Nothing as of this moment.

I'm surprised. wink

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Digi
Your comments also suggest that atheists are here only to troll and convert. Yup. Trolls of satan.

Symmetric Chaos
Big-C: What part of "public discussion forums" don't you understand? This thread is an attack on those who would freely use the forums for religious discussion, and frankly is insulting. Your comments also suggest that atheists are here only to troll and convert, though the same could be said of any poster of any religious faith (or lack thereof) who posts in a negative manner.

So your ideas and analogies are way off. It's not people walking into a gay bar to bash them. It's more like hosting a panel on whether or not school uniforms should be allowed in schools, but you would be the one only inviting those who are for them.

More like hosting a panel of school uniforms and asking why the guy who runs around screaming about cats keeps coming to the meetings.

WickedDynamite
Because Atheists talk more about religion than religious folks....

Mairuzu
Proof?

Shakyamunison
Proof?

Wow! good one. big grin Let's take a popularity pole. stick out tongue

Adam_PoE
Well people have the right to believe what they believe in. like in the god threads. they are people strictly pointing out that "there is no god". when even about half of scientist believe in god. what im saying is that if you don't believe in something thats fine just don't try to persuade someone out of what they believe.

97% of the members of the National Academy of Sciences are Atheist.

§P0oONY
Like if there was a gay bar, Would a normal guy walk into a gay bar expressing opinions against gays? no Athiests post in here because athiests have opinions on religious matters as much as a religious person.

WhiskeyGirl

Why do you care so much?

It's a Religion forum. To discuss Religion. ALL religions, And it doesn't say anything about worship. Just discussions. We give our opinions, just like you give yours.

Why is it that Christians get so upset and defensive when people question God? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Rogue Jedi
I find it to be quite opposite, at least with the Christians I know, they will openly listen to what atheists/agnostics/whatever have to say, but some atheists will cover their ears and go NAHNAHNAH when the Christian brings up God or Christ.

§P0oONY
They get uppity because they know in their heart he doesn't exist. (shit stir response)

WhiskeyGirl
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I find it to be quite opposite, at least with the Christians I know, they will openly listen to what atheists/agnostics/whatever have to say, but some atheists will cover their ears and go NAHNAHNAH when the Christian brings up God or Christ.

Yeah I've noticed it that way too. I'm not like that. I'll listen, until the try to convert me.

Look, give me physical proof that god is real and then I'll think about it. Otherwise, don't tell me what to believe and I do the same for you

Colossus-Big C

So your ideas and analogies are way off. It's not people walking into a gay bar to bash them. It's more like hosting a panel on whether or not school uniforms should be allowed in schools, but you would be the one only inviting those who are for them. I understand that now as i said, before i thought it was a section strictly for religious people to talk(there was a section like this in another forums that i use), but know i understand what this is.

BackFire
That sounds like that would be an extremely boring section.

§P0oONY
Would be fun to troll though stick out tongue

Colossus-Big C
Ok i thought this section was for religious people only because another forums has a section like this and nonreligious people do not post there, i thought this was the same but its not so my mistake.
can a mod lock or delete this?

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by WhiskeyGirl
Yeah I've noticed it that way too. I'm not like that. I'll listen, until the try to convert me.

Look, give me physical proof that god is real and then I'll think about it. Otherwise, don't tell me what to believe and I do the same for you quick question. if someone killed someone but left no physical evidence what so ever(not even the body) and it was up to you to decide would you say.
"Theres no physical evidence so i dont believe it happend"
or you would agree that its possible?
if its the second can you agree that a "God" is possible even though there isnt evidence?

Just a question
(i never stated if believed in god so dont get offensive)

§P0oONY
quick question. if someone killed someone but left no physical evidence what so ever(not even the body) and it was up to you to decide would you say.
if its the second can you agree that a "God" is possible even though there isnt evidence?

Just a question
(i never stated if believed in god so dont get offensive) A murder and an ethereal being are quite different.

AbnormalButSane
quick question. if someone killed someone but left no physical evidence what so ever(not even the body) and it was up to you to decide would you say.

Just a question
No body. No crime.

King Kandy

Just a question
Um, if there's no evidence then how do you know a murder occurred in the first place?

Sadako of Girth

Welcome to the world where things called disagreements can happen.

I can easily open a thread called "Why do people disagree that air is in fact blamonge" designed to upset people with brains, but to say that the disbelivers arent allowed to call bullshit at all reeks, good sir, of pussyhood.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Welcome to the world where things called disagreements can happen.

I can easily open a thread called "Why do people disagree that air is in fact blamonge" designed to upset people with brains, but to say that the disbelivers arent allowed to call bullshit at all reeks, good sir, of pussyhood.

They can call bullshit if they want, but if they do so in a thread that has nothing to do with whether or not blamonge is real then they're trolling.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by dadudemon

How do you figure?

Perhaps if we had people of all religions here (or at least those who are not pretending to be atheists on the forums so they would look progressive and 'intelligent' but fails) people could have a discussion about different things within religions without every thread going on about Christianity and/or how religious is bullshit and/or why does that say somewhere in Genesis.

I'm bored of listening about Christianity - I want to have a discussion about Hell/God/Heaven/Reincarnation without trollage from one side and the other.

Those things existed before and continue to exist outside the scope of Christianity.

dadudemon
WTF is blamonge?

I can't use urban dictionary while at work.

Red Nemesis
This looks like an arbitrary value- blamonge = 0/0 = 42

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by WhiskeyGirl

Look, give me physical proof that god is real and then I'll think about it. Otherwise, don't tell me what to believe and I do the same for you Impossible to prove he exists, impossible to prove he doesn't. This is where faith comes into play.

dadudemon
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
How do you figure?

Perhaps if we had people of all religions here (or at least those who are not pretending to be atheists on the forums so they would look progressive and 'intelligent' but fails) people could have a discussion about different things within religions without every thread going on about Christianity and/or how religious is bullshit and/or why does that say somewhere in Genesis.

I'm bored of listening about Christianity - I want to have a discussion about Hell/God/Heaven/Reincarnation without trollage from one side and the other.

Those things existed before and continue to exist outside the scope of Christianity.

It was a joke.

I'm a religious person. I resent the idiocy and ignorance of religious people, as a whole. It was just me being full of piss and vinegar at the moment.

Spartan005
You know I used to believe that god exists.... until I thought about it

Ms.Marvel
we warned you about that.

Adam_PoE
Um, if there's no evidence then how do you know a murder occurred in the first place?

Best caller ever?

JJxCFa8YmbQ

Symmetric Chaos
laughing out loud

Mindship
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
42 This explains everything.

/thread

leonheartmm

Just a question

if there is no physical evidence then how do you knlw that sum1 killed sum1 else in the first place? the fact is, if we start speculating without evidence on what COULD have happend at any place at any time, then always, there wud be an infinite number of possible answers. making the probability of any 1 answer being true, pretty much zero. seeing as you cant pick one over the other{there was a murder/there was a party/ there was a great battle between dr strange and galactus} because no EVIDENCE is taken into account, and there is nuthing suggesting that any 1 explanation is more probable, youd be stuck.

the fact is there is no point speculating without evidence.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by leonheartmm
if there is no physical evidence then how do you knlw that sum1 killed sum1 else in the first place? the fact is, if we start speculating without evidence on what COULD have happend at any place at any time, then always, there wud be an infinite number of possible answers. making the probability of any 1 answer being true, pretty much zero. seeing as you cant pick one over the other{there was a murder/there was a party/ there was a great battle between dr strange and galactus} because no EVIDENCE is taken into account, and there is nuthing suggesting that any 1 explanation is more probable, youd be stuck.

the fact is there is no point speculating without evidence. To you theres no point, this is just your personal opinion. You prove nothing

leonheartmm
To you theres no point, this is just your personal opinion. You prove nothing

the laws of probability and definitions of positive evidence are my PERSONAL OPPINION? laughing laughing laughing laughing

Colossus-Big C
the laws of probability and definitions of positive evidence are my PERSONAL OPPINION? laughing laughing laughing laughing there are people who know the exact laws (my teacher for example) who would completely disagree with you, in fact most of the things i post are what i have learned from him

leonheartmm
there are people who know the exact laws (my teacher for example) who would completely disagree with you, in fact most of the things i post are what i have learned from him

1. i doubt it

2. if he did that he/she wud obviously not call my statement "my oppinion"

3. if he did, he/she wud be logically proving him/herself to be an idiot

4. how old r u?

Colossus-Big C
1. i doubt it

2. if he did that he/she wud obviously not call my statement "my oppinion"

3. if he did, he/she wud be logically proving him/herself to be an idiot

4. how old r u?

Im 21.
and yes its true he is my astronomy teacher. If he was an idiot he woud not have had the job. Even some scientist disagree with each others arguments and they all know the same things

leonheartmm
Im 21.
and yes its true he is my astronomy teacher. If he was an idiot he woud not have had the job. Even some scientist disagree with each others arguments and they all know the same things

you wud be surprised as to how many idiots HAVE THE JOB"look up the administrater of the human genome project". as for those two definitions, it seems that u still dont know them{hence u thinking its my OPPINION}

the fact that scientists disagree is irrelevant. scientific FINDINGS dont ultimately disagree with other scientific findings, and many scientific findings disprove theism while none support it. and thats the point.

Red Nemesis
lawl

He's my favorite anti-creationism source to use online.

Also: leo, I'm surprised that you didn't call him on using a teacher for an appeal to authority. An unnamed scientist I can see, but teachers aren't even expected to keep up to date. So the argument (by bigC) even uses a sub-optimal fallacy.

Evilbigfoot
Originally posted by dadudemon

You're saying that Christian's aren't smart? Stereotype much?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Evilbigfoot

No, just the ones who post on this forum. wink

King Kandy
Read any JIA thread. Not much intelligent discussion from that side.

Christians can be smart, but they generally don't preach on the internet if they are.

Evilbigfoot
No, just the ones who post on this forum. wink

So, you are saying that I am an idiot? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Shakyamunison
So, you are saying that I am an idiot? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Wow! you got that? Maybe I was wrong. wink

Mairuzu
Rude

Shakyamunison
Rude

Thanks for the reassurance. laughing out loud stick out tongue

Mairuzu
stoned

JacopeX
They ignore the possibility that they may be wrong. -_-

/thread

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by JacopeX

/thread

They have more to loose.

Digi
Originally posted by JacopeX

/thread

If this is in response to the thread starter's questions....false. Most of the atheists I know, myself included, became one because they heavily considered the possibility that they may be wrong. And I, for one, still do. I just haven't been presented with anything more compelling.

Christians can be smart, but they generally don't preach on the internet if they are.

laughing out loud

...tempted to profile. Also, a LOT of other words could be substituted for 'Christian' in that phrase and remain true.

maham
Agrees

The question that I think is more important is, why do people who are offended by the views of others, continue to post on this forum?
many non-Christian people believe in God too.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by maham
Agrees

This has nothing to do with my post.

Digi
Agrees

The thread starter himself relented on his opening post and admitted his error. Please consider a similar apology yourself, because, frankly, your opinion (or rather, your agreement with the opinion you posted) is insulting.

Which, as shakya pointed out, is beside the point. Do you really believe people shouldn't post simply because they disagree with the de facto majority, which, I'm guessing, is your stance as well? If so, I feel sorry for you. Censorship in any form is unfortunate.

Bicnarok
For various reasons I presume, but mainly because they cannot understand why people believe in fairy tales, and think by using logical thought and examples they can maybe help some sad disillusioned fools.

The same way Religious people cannot understand how people cannot live without believing in something, how they can not see the wonderful light and warmth of a creatorsmile

Symmetric Chaos
This has nothing to do with my post.

Ha, now you know what it's like.

The Butcher
To see why and how people believe in Religions.

Bicnarok

Ordo
If they cared, theyd let people find their own way?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Ordo
If they cared, theyd let people find their own way?

Then obviously no body cares.

jinXed by JaNx

I'd be here wink

Bicnarok

Ordo
Then obviously no body cares.

Thinking you're the only person with an answer is not caring.

*Inserts parenting analogy*

"Caring" is not a principle based on ones religious beliefs.

Digi

laughing out loud

Originally posted by Ordo
"Caring" is not a principle based on ones religious beliefs.

thumb up

Shakyamunison

I alreard knew. I simply understand when to complain, and when not.

overlord
atheisms are dangerous

the string theory is already good enough as it is

we don't need to know everything is connected in truth, just keep it at everything revolving itself

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by overlord
atheisms are dangerous

the string theory is already good enough as it is

we don't need to know everything is connected in truth, just keep it at everything revolving itself

confused

overlord
I dig weed, aight?

overlord
actual weed x)

I'm a plant man

I plant seeds

Shakyamunison
I dig weed, aight?

Obviously.

overlord
it makes me forget stuff

Shakyamunison
it makes me forget stuff

How do you know?

Ordo
slice

overlord
How do you know? had psychosis and a lot of experience stick out tongue

AsbestosFlaygon
How do you know?
Oh look what we have here..

KMC's wannabe psychiatrist.

Mairuzu
I dig weed, aight? I feel ya

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Oh look what we have here..

KMC's wannabe psychiatrist.

It was a drug joke. Sorry if that was way over your head.

jaden101

Just a question

Locard's exchange principle.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by jaden101
Locard's exchange principle.

Assumes a criminal and investigator of roughly equivalent knowledge and power. Caveman-Locard would never identify a bullet as the thing that killed Caveman-JFK because in their world it couldn't possibly have that effect.

Evilbigfoot
insulting.

Tolerance?

Shakyamunison
Tolerance?

Did you just modify a mod's post?

inimalist
Did you just modify a mod's post?

nope, insulting is the last word of this post:

The thread starter himself relented on his opening post and admitted his error. Please consider a similar apology yourself, because, frankly, your opinion (or rather, your agreement with the opinion you posted) is insulting.

I don't understand the tolorance thing either, methinks some sort of appologist doing some sort of appologetics

Digi
Tolerance?

Elaborate?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by inimalist

"..." would have been nice.

Thundar

Yeah...that's what gay guys do.

Evilbigfoot
Elaborate?

Just giving you crap, for example: (Bob and Joe conversation)

Bob: "Joe, you're an idiot."
Joe: "That's not nice, I'm going to cry in a corner now."
Bob: "Bah, grow a spine."--In other words, obtain 'tolerance'

No hard feelings wink

inimalist
"..." would have been nice.

it would have been '...' as opposed to "...", as the single ' denotes that a term is being mentioned, though the double indicates speech.

Just giving you crap, for example: (Bob and Joe conversation)

Bob: "Bah, grow a spine."--In other words, obtain 'tolerance'

No hard feelings wink

a) that is censorship, not tolorance

b) you really haven't thought your own logic through, watch:

Bob: "Bah, grow a spine."
Joe: "Tolerate the fact that I am offended"

you really didn't even think past 'reactionary dumbass remark' did you?

Shakyamunison
it would have been '...' as opposed to "...", as the single ' denotes that a term is being mentioned, though the double indicates speech...

Did you get something stuck up your...?

inimalist
Did you get something stuck up your...?

i will escalate the grammar nazi-dom

it will be a SVO holocaust up in this mother

Red Nemesis
where making this transpire

Shakyamunison
i will escalate the grammar nazi-dom

it will be a SVO holocaust up in this mother

However, I was talking about a portion of text that was missing from his/her post (or what I wished had been there). Therefore, both ("wink or (') is appropriate. The only problem with ("wink is that it is an imaginary quote, and I think that is why you thought it was wrong. big grin

Evilbigfoot
it would have been '...' as opposed to "...", as the single ' denotes that a term is being mentioned, though the double indicates speech.

a) that is censorship, not tolorance

b) you really haven't thought your own logic through, watch:

Bob: "Bah, grow a spine."
Joe: "Tolerate the fact that I am offended"

you really didn't even think past 'reactionary dumbass remark' did you?

Meh, you have to look beyond the picture? What you have stated is another outcome that can be assumed, I suppose, excuse me for not giving a ****.

Deja~vu
Why do Athiests believe we become worm food when many scientists with their experiments feel that life is never ending? We are all energy and that cannot be destroyed. It only changes location and form.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Why do Athiests believe we become worm food when many scientists with their experiments feel that life is never ending? We are all energy and that cannot be destroyed. It only changes location and form.

Can you provide a citation for experiments that suggest "life is never ending"?

You could argue that we will always exist because matter/energy cannot be destroyed but that's an empty statement. By that definition if I smash my computer after making this post it won't be destroyed or when Hiroshima was nuked it was still there. The matter is still there but what made my computer function or Hiroshima able to be defined as a city has been removed.

Mindship
Why do Athiests believe we become worm food when many scientists with their experiments feel that life is never ending? We are all energy and that cannot be destroyed. It only changes location and form. Circle of life =/= immortal soul.

Digi

This:

Can you provide a citation for experiments that suggest "life is never ending"?

You could argue that we will always exist because matter/energy cannot be destroyed but that's an empty statement. By that definition if I smash my computer after making this post it won't be destroyed or when Hiroshima was nuked it was still there. The matter is still there but what made my computer function or Hiroshima able to be defined as a city has been removed.

Also, referencing "scientists" is simply an appeal to authority, not a logical argument. Many scientists are also materialist atheists. Should I hinge my opinion on which side more scientists favor?

But if you want to define life as energy, feel free to do so. But it loses its normal meaning. There's no reason that doesn't involve blind faith that suggests you'll have consciousness of any sort again after you die, even if the matter/energy from your body gets put to use in other organisms.

Hi btw debbie. I've always enjoyed your presence here on the forums, but as you no doubt already know I don't mind pointing out when I think you're wrong.

Ultraviolence

Why you do you generalize? "They?" Are we the only individuals who go against what "those topics are even about?" You seem a little biased towards atheists.

inimalist
Meh, you have to look beyond the picture? What you have stated is another outcome that can be assumed, I suppose, excuse me for not giving a ****.

ok, so, you might not give a ****, but you agree your logic is fundamentally flawed?

Evilbigfoot
ok, so, you might not give a ****, but you agree your logic is fundamentally flawed?

Partly, yeah sure.

Evilbigfoot

I don't understand the tolorance thing either, methinks some sort of appologist doing some sort of appologetics

Tolerating what "he" finds insulting; let's say someone called me fat (if I was,) I would tell them that I do not care, in this I am tolerating (by not blabbering about it NOT being nice) what they have said and moving on to the next thing in life.

Just accept the fact that some people are immature and live with it; does this describe it a bit more than the last one? It is hard for me to voice my thoughts in typing.

inimalist
tolerance and indifference are different things though

tolerance, as a concept, really refers to state initiated social policies meant at reducing outright hostility toward marginalized social groups. As intellectual people, we can play semantics and make it mean all sorts of things, but in general, when people talk about tolerance, they are speaking of a meme that ensures nobody assaults gay or black people in the street (or rather, when they do there are legal consequences).

The idea that tolerance means stupid ideas aren't called such is, itself, stupid. I will tolerate the fact you are allowed to hold it, and thus, will not assault you, but I don't have to think you are correct, or accept you spewing it anywhere

Saskaswan
People who believe in religion go beyond the boundary's of "stupid". It's always amusing watching the world pray to their "God".

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Saskaswan
People who believe in religion go beyond the boundary's of "stupid". It's always amusing watching the world pray to their "God".

Careful how you judge. People who don't believe in a god can still be stupid, while people who do believe in a god can be smart.

Saskaswan
Careful how you judge. People who don't believe in a god can still be stupid, while people who do believe in a god can be smart.

I never said anyone was "Stupid", that would be a compliment to Religious people, I said they go past the boundary's of Stupid, which is way way past stupid.

inimalist
I never said anyone was "Stupid", that would be a compliment to Religious people, I said they go past the boundary's of Stupid, which is way way past stupid.

really?

Saskaswan
really?

Yes....

Symmetric Chaos
really?

Yep, it's a mathematical fact that no one who believes in God has ever done anything intelligent.

Shakyamunison

Now, that goes past the boundary's of Stupid. Good thing I didn't say you were stupid.

Saskaswan
Yep, it's a mathematical fact that no one who believes in God has ever done anything intelligent.

Mathematical and Believes in God in the same sentence, Religion is evolving. Wait sorry, Evolution is a communism plot right?

Shakyamunison
Mathematical and Believes in God in the same sentence, Religion is evolving. Wait sorry, Evolution is a communism plot right?

Religion is the product of evolution.

inimalist
Yes....

I'm not even going to argue against your (incredibly wrong) position

do you really not see how that attitude is going to pretty much ensure that religion wins in the "culture war" it has constructed?

Evilbigfoot

Your generalizations say differently.

Symmetric Chaos
Religion is the product of evolution.

And religion is in fact evolving, though not by the definition used in biology.

Digi
I'll tell you what: I never actually got around to answering the titular question. It devolved into tangent too quickly for that to happen. But even though the way the thread starter phrased the question made it more of an attack than a discussion starter, the question itself is valid enough. I'd like to, so here goes...

Why I post here.

1. I enjoy refining my own beliefs through debate here, as well as discovering members and ideas that I agree with.

2. Imo, one can only truly feel secure in a belief by subjecting it to intense scrutiny from both yourself and others. I don't ever want to feel like I am non-religious at the expense of having considered religious arguments. The reverse was true when I was religious, which is how I became atheist in the first place.

3. In a more general sense, I see a lot of negative consequences in the world as a result of illogical thinking or people being duped by various forms of pseudoscience. Religion is only one of the (many) areas I see this in. And while my own sphere of influence is very small, I nevertheless enjoy equipping myself to confront it when I encounter it, whether it's in a medical, psychological, philosophical, or religious context, or various other contexts. The internet, as many of you know, is a hotbed for such irrationality, and so is a good place to hone such skills. As a usual rule, religion is contentious, religious internet debate moreso, and so I rarely intend to change someone's mind. But it's good practice for situations that may matter more, and also fun to be able to form cohesive arguments about topics that I am not an expert in, but can nevertheless debate credibly upon.

Ultraviolence

You make atheists look terrible with your ignorance. People who believe in deities or even practice religion can be and have been more intelligent than you will ever be. I can list examples, if you'd like. My examples are a little dusty because some of our champion intellectuals that practiced religion were from the twentieth century and below. This is simply because we, as a society, reject religion more frequently because we know more. We have a stronger educational system than we did a hundred years ago so it probably wasn't unusual for intellects to believe in several things that are commonly known as false today.

Saskaswan
People who believe in some fictional character who created every single thing in this universe and determines the outcome of our lives is obviously very stupid, also some of you believe the world is around 6000 - 8000 years old when there is scientific evidence that it is 4.5 billion years old. Although the mention is science must be fake to you. The Tooth Fairy is more realistic than God.
If you really just sat there and thought about what you believe in you would think like i do.

Digi
People who believe in some fictional character who created every single thing in this universe and determines the outcome of our lives is obviously very stupid, also some of you believe the world is around 6000 - 8000 years old when there is scientific evidence that it is 4.5 billion years old. Although the mention is science must be fake to you. The Tooth Fairy is more realistic than God.
If you really just sat there and thought about what you believe in you would think like i do.

It's easy to attack the fundamentalist extreme, like the Young Earth creationists. But that's not Ultra's point, nor others who are refuting you.

To say that you think believing in God is stupid is a valid, if blunt, opinion. To say that those who believe in God, only because they believe in God, are stupid is simply false. History is littered with geniuses, as is our current era. And despite a slow trend toward non-religiosity in our society, the vast, vast majority of the world is religious, theists, etc. and this was more true in past ages. As such, the vast, vast majority of those geniuses, past and present, were and are theists.

There's also degrees of religion. The vocal extremist minority is just that, a minority. Those people, yes, are often quite stupid. But lumping them with ALL theists is a gross misrepresentation of theism, and displays a hearty amount of ignorance about religion and religious followers.

Also, the Tooth Fairy is not more believable than God. The mere fact that no one believes in the Tooth Fairy over age 5 or so, but billions believe in God, should be enough evidence of that, though there are certainly other reasons. Hyperbole doesn't suit your intent.

Frankly, I'm surprised I have to explain this to anyone capable of conversing on the internet (perhaps I shouldn't be). What I just said up there should be common sense. And I'm an atheist, btw, just so you don't try to lump me into the "science must be fake" crowd like you seemed to do with Ultra.

inimalist

this might help you understand...

most people who believe young earth creationism (which is the minority of religious people, especially outside of the United States) don't do so because they found the ideas convincing. They aren't intellectually trying to analyze everything for its empirical merit, they are believing that which makes the most sense to them given their personal experiences, which are themselves, shaped by powerful cultural narratives. Its more an issue with these ideas being an integral part of their personality, rather than any issue of intellect. This is most apparent when you actually talk to young earth creationists about anything other than religion or politics. Try it some day. I'm not actually kidding, talk to one about something you think you might find common ground on, and you will be amazed !

and here is the kicker. You are the exact same. You aren't a geneticist, you aren't a geologist, you don't study paleontology, and, I'm just going to guess, at best you are an undergraduate at some university. You have no reasonable qualifications to determine the validity of science in the fields you are criticizing religious people of being ignorant of. The problem is, you are just as ignorant, you just believe empiricism over religion. This is the same of all people. I might understand psych, but I take on faith what people in the physical sciences discover because I have no reasonable understanding of the data they are uncovering.

you can't make a value based judgement on people determined by what they believe. Ultimatly, we are all in the same boat, entirely ignorant of everything and wholy trusting of the people we have determined have some access to truth.

Digi
Even when I like my responses, inamilist tops them. I think I've gone from loving everything you post to hating everything you post.

crackers

inimalist
Even when I like my responses, inamilist tops them. I think I've gone from loving everything you post to hating everything you post.

crackers

lol, weird, I was more like "shit, digi beat me too it"

mines like an addendum...

Bardock42

crackers

The towel needed to dry his balls after this would have to span the world twice over.

Not that I disagree *slurp slurp*

inimalist
smokin'

Digi
lol, weird, I was more like "shit, digi beat me too it"

mines like an addendum...

Ha, well then good. I'll take that as a compliment.

Originally posted by Bardock42
The towel needed to dry his balls after this would have to span the world twice over.

Not that I disagree *slurp slurp*

laughing out loud

Ultraviolence

Wild Shadow
i heard the tooth fairy was based on a real person.. anyone watch the movie darkness falls?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
i heard the tooth fairy was based on a real person.

Doctor Ruth Farinton.

Admiral Akbar

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Archaic civilizations who developed literature, mathematics, various forms of philosophy and much more are anything but non-intelligent. In respect to the God issue they were simply ignorant and oblivious to a lot of mystical occurrences which we can now explain. Our generation however has no excuse for believing such non-sense though.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Archaic civilizations who developed literature, mathematics, various forms of philosophy and much more are anything but non-intelligent. In respect to the God issue they were simply ignorant and oblivious to a lot of mystical occurrences which we can now explain. Our generation however has no excuse for believing such non-sense though.

Sure, we will have to redefine what god is, but we have always been doing that. I think that people that would agree with you are the ones being left behind. We do not know everything, and we never will.

Mindset
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Archaic civilizations who developed literature, mathematics, various forms of philosophy and much more are anything but non-intelligent. In respect to the God issue they were simply ignorant and oblivious to a lot of mystical occurrences which we can now explain. Our generation however has no excuse for believing such non-sense though. I agree, we have explanations for everything now.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>