2010 Game of the Month (January)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Before there is an announcement on which game will be January's best videoame, let us discuss which one will probably dominate this month.

RIARRSOYUIAELA
In sheer quality it's going to be Sands of Destruction, by far.

Ridley_Prime
Probably Mass Effect 2.

ArtificialGlory
I think the answers is pretty obvious here.

I heard that Sands of Destruction was quite unremarkable, especially the story.

AsbestosFlaygon
+1 for Sands of Destruction.

Love the story.. still playin' it though. But it's got me hooked.

Mass Effect 2 was fun, but I got bored.. might consider finishing it sometime.

Right now, I have to finish Sands of Destruction.

BoratBorat
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
+1 for Sands of Destruction.

Love the story.. still playin' it though. But it's got me hooked.

Right now, I have to finish Sands of Destruction. Mass effect 2 isn't even released yet...

Ms.Marvel
please dont feed the troll, borat.

RIARRSOYUIAELA
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
I think the answers is pretty obvious here.

I heard that Sands of Destruction was quite unremarkable, especially the story.

If you're referring to Nintendo Power referring to its storyline as "generic" I can only assume they were high at the time or weren't able to understand Masato Kato's masterful and complex storytelling considering how it is anything but generic:

Sands of Destruction, an epic RPG created by the all-star Japanese developers at ImageEpoc, takes you through an epic adventure in a world surrounded by a sea of sand. In Sands of Destruction, a race of powerful beastmen known as the Ferals rule over the human population with tyranny and prejudice. A group of warriors, the World Annihilation Front, believe their only option for ending the corruption of the Ferals is to end the world as they know it. This intense game puts gamers in control of an intriguing cast of characters including the crusading Morte Ashera as well as Kyrie Illunis, who unknowingly holds the key to global destruction. Gamers will explore a fantastic world, traveling across oceans of sand, battling colossal enemy monsters and unraveling the mystery of the creation of the world. Immerse yourself in dynamic battles taking up both the top and lower screens of the DS and an epic storyline with a twist, in this action-packed fantasy RPG exclusively on the DS.

Discovering the nature behind the creation of their world and setting out to destroy it rather than save it is as far from being generic as it gets.

Though I have heard that its storyline is nowhere near as deep or complex as the team's previous works (few are), however I've read/heard/seen enough about it and know enough about the developers to know that it's going to be an awesome game and January's 2010's best.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Before there is an announcement on which game will be January's best videoame, let us discuss which one will probably dominate this month. Mass Effect 2 will dominate headlines. It is a sequel after all. (A sequel of a good game that is... I'm looking at you Army of Two)

BoratBorat
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
please dont feed the troll, borat. Please feed me wink

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by RIARRSOYUIAELA
If you're referring to Nintendo Power referring to its storyline as "generic" I can only assume they were high at the time or weren't able to understand Masato Kato's masterful and complex storytelling considering how it is anything but generic:

Sands of Destruction, an epic RPG created by the all-star Japanese developers at ImageEpoc, takes you through an epic adventure in a world surrounded by a sea of sand. In Sands of Destruction, a race of powerful beastmen known as the Ferals rule over the human population with tyranny and prejudice. A group of warriors, the World Annihilation Front, believe their only option for ending the corruption of the Ferals is to end the world as they know it. This intense game puts gamers in control of an intriguing cast of characters including the crusading Morte Ashera as well as Kyrie Illunis, who unknowingly holds the key to global destruction. Gamers will explore a fantastic world, traveling across oceans of sand, battling colossal enemy monsters and unraveling the mystery of the creation of the world. Immerse yourself in dynamic battles taking up both the top and lower screens of the DS and an epic storyline with a twist, in this action-packed fantasy RPG exclusively on the DS.

Discovering the nature behind the creation of their world and setting out to destroy it rather than save it is as far from being generic as it gets.

Though I have heard that its storyline is nowhere near as deep or complex as the team's previous works (few are), however I've read/heard/seen enough about it and know enough about the developers to know that it's going to be an awesome game and January's 2010's best.

As a matter of fact, that does sound like woefully generic JRPG stuff. You just know you're full of horseshit when you go about claiming "they just don't understand his genius!" There's absolutely nothing so complex about that as to go beyond the understanding of an average human being. Hell, I've read sales pamphlets that were more complex than that.

And what the hell is up with that "complex = good" thing again? There's a monumental difference between "masterful" and "complex." One does not necessarily beget another. As a matter of fact, it usually does not. Hmm... you really remind me of someone. Are you a sock of that tool Weltall?

Yea, and I just played Duke Nukem Forever. It was awesome
roll eyes (sarcastic)

RIARRSOYUIAELA
1. As someone who's essentially an expert on the genre, I can say quite safely that the basic outline of the plot is not that of a generic RPG. Rarely if ever will your party set out on a quest to destroy the world, and rarely is the mystery behind the creation of that world ever explored.

2. I didn't say that "complex" = "good" (although it does as far as what the more intelligent audience is generally looking for in a story, as well as making the story stand out in the crowd, as well as when discussing how advanced and how much a story has to offer, as well as as far as it helps reviewability (in the sense that it helps differentiate the first and subsequent viewings by enhancing your understanding of the story with each viewing, unless you understood it perfectly at any given viewing) and encourages/forces the viewer to think about the story during and after etc..); I was saying that it's entirely possible Nintendo Power weren't able to understand the plot (the plot, not the passage I referenced which I was using to illustrating the fact that the plot isn't in any way generic) due to it likely being too complex for their minds to grasp (not that I was even being serious...)

3. Could he not have played an early edition? laughing out loud

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by BoratBorat
Mass effect 2 isn't even released yet...
WTF are you talkin about?

It's been released here in Dubai 2 days ago.

Peach
Do we really need one of these threads every month?

Morridini

If it was out we would have heard of it.

Peach
Release date(s):
NA January 26, 2010
EU January 29, 2010

Directly copied from wiki and formatted a bit nicer.

ArtificialGlory

Proof/source.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Peach
Do we really need one of these threads every month?
That's kinda what I was wondering...

What's next? A 2010 game of the week thread? Game of the day?

Only game of the year is worthy of being a thread topic, IMO.

Morridini
Having game of the months threads throughout the year would make game of the year simpler, simply take the winners of every month and pit them against eachother. Would be a nice way for older games (released in January-March) to keep the feeling people had towards them when they were new.

Ridley_Prime
Eh, now that ya mention it, I agree.

SaTsuJiN
from the poll.. either bayonetta or mass effect 2.. but I cant pick because I wouldnt personally buy either of them

BoratBorat

It's been released here in Dubai 2 days ago. Proof?

AsbestosFlaygon
Games are always released a week earlier in the Middle East >_>

Same with cars and other gadgets (TVs, cellphones, PCs, etc)

Monado
While it was a major dissapointment I would probably have to give it to Sands of Destruction.

Zack Fair
Mass Effect 2.

Hands down. No contest.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.