Midgard Serpent vs. Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JakeTheBank
Superman takes on Jormungand.

Can he defeat the Midgard Serpent?

Kris Blaze
Yes.

A wholesome 7-8/10

Mshinu
They kill each other wink

Nihilist
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Yes.

A wholesome 7-8/10

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Yes.

A wholesome 7-8/10

Would you say his odds drop if Fenris is thrown in the mix?

RIVER-OF-POWER
What on earth is superman going to do to that thing? Heatvision? Freeze breath? overpower it?... None of that is going to work, thats a magical creature with powers superman can only dream of... Serpent in a rapestomp.

The Nuul
Speed + strength combo FTW!

carver9
Naah, the size alone of the serpant should overwhelm Superman. Serpant 10/10

WickedDynamite
Certainly! He KO every head of the serpent.

The Nuul
Doesnt suprises me because MS is Marvel...WD is so bias.

RIVER-OF-POWER
Originally posted by The Nuul
Speed + strength combo FTW! Do you know that once the serpent becomes solid that time itself freezes and only mistical beings can move?... Superman would be frozen in time... Superman has no chance here. This is a mistake spite thread because the OP missed the serpents time freeze powers.

RIVER-OF-POWER
Strength level: The Midgard Serpent possessed superhuman strength, the extend of which was never measured but which far surpassed Thor's Class 100 level, whereby Thor can lift well over 100 tons
Superhuman powers: In addition to his vast superhuman strength, the Midgard Serpent was virtually invulnerable to injury. Only a being as strong a Thor could cause him serious bodily harm. The Midgard Serpent was apparently immortal except for the fact that he could be killed by extraordinary physical force. The Midgard Serpent usually existed in ethereal form on Earth. Hence, though his size was so great that he encircled the planet, he was invisible and intangible as far as human beings were concerned. By compressing his coils about the planet, he could magically cause storm,s earthquakes, and other disasters. Even in his final battle with Thor, although his front portion materialized on Earth, Jormungand kept most of his body in ethereal form. (If he had not, his immense bulk would have crushed buildings and people around the globe.) The Midgard Serpent could cast illusions to disguise his true appearance, such as when he caused himself to appear as Fin Fang Foom and as Utgard-Loki's cat. The Midgard Serpent's venom was lethal, even to Asgardian gods. When the Midgard Serpent materialized part of himself on Earth disguised by an illusory form, the passage of time on Earth continued as usual. However, by materializing at least part of himself on Earth in his true form, Jormungand magically affected the passage of time, so that time on Earth stood still except for any living beings native to Asgard, Jotunheim, or others of the Nine Worlds of the Asgardian cosmology who were present there. (Presumably native of realms such as Olympus would not be "frozen" in time either.) Hence, while Thor had his final battle with Jormungand, no human beings, plants or animals moved or were aware of the battle. Birds or aircraft "frozen" in flight by the stoppage of time were not pulled to the ground by the force of gravity, though gravity continued to affect Thor and Jormungand. Upon Jormungand's demise, the serpent corpse returned to ethereal form and time resumed its normal course on Earth. The Midgard Serpent was a sentient being and was fully capable of human speech. Unlike other serpents, he possessed clawed forearms. The Serpent has often been pictured in forms somewhat different that that which he bore in his final battle with Thor.

psycho gundam
thor killed it so it's not impossible for superman to do it.

the time thing is a problem though.

Mindship
Superman takes one of those pre-crisis planet-pulling chains, whips it around the Serpent's head, then gives the chain a superyank.

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by psycho gundam
thor killed it so it's not impossible for superman to do it.

the time thing is a problem though. Thor has killed Jormungand twice IIRC: (i) by unleashing all his power in a suicide strike that also killed Thor himself, and (ii) by spatially BFR'ing its head off with Mjolnir. Not quite sure how Superman would apply those methods here for the win.

Something also tells me that the whole temporal freeze thing shouldn't really be held against Superman here.

psycho gundam
the first instance could be substituted by a sub-light superman punch, jormangand is so large that supes shouldn't miss.

he doesn't have to kill it but he might be able to knock it out for a win.

ofcoarse the time freeze makes anything void

JakeTheBank
^ Obviously, I'm not taking into account the time freeze for the purposes of making this thread. Otherwise it's Superspite.

WickedDynamite
Supes flies into the serpents mouth...deep fry the insides with his laser vision...hours later we have fresh fried chicken for dinner.

(cus snake taste like chicken...hehehe...pun)

psycho gundam
heh, just noticed something about superman busting that shadow planet at 99% lightspeed:

shouldn't a hammer throw from thor exeed that attack from superman if he say throws mjolnir twice the speed of superman's flight? he's flown faster than light without crossing over to hyperspace before while in space, and the mass of the hammer would be exponentially greater at multiples of light.

a fiveX lightspeed toss should be extremely devastating, and thor wouldn't be in any danger and he would be able to repeat it as mjolnir is near indestructible and will return to him.

tideoftime
If this is strictly in the context of an applicable forum fight, then Superman can win, 6/10, by using all of the physical power (strength, speed, flight) he can muster. If it weren't against a supernatural creature, I'd up the wins. Obviously, if taken in full context, Superman is out of his element in regards to the overwhelming mystical aspects involved; Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman would be better suited for this situation (with Diana having better equipment to deal with the situation).

-Pr-
Originally posted by tideoftime
If this is strictly in the context of an applicable forum fight, then Superman can win, 6/10, by using all of the physical power (strength, speed, flight) he can muster. If it weren't against a supernatural creature, I'd up the wins. Obviously, if taken in full context, Superman is out of his element in regards to the overwhelming mystical aspects involved; Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman would be better suited for this situation (with Diana having better equipment to deal with the situation).

and that would be fine, if the shadow moon wasn't a low showing.

WickedDynamite
Care for some deep fried snake?

-Pr-
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
Care for some deep fried snake?

sarcasm = only funny the first time. uhuh

Originally posted by The Nuul
Doesnt suprises me because MS is Marvel...WD is so bias.

shut up. seriously.

tideoftime
Originally posted by -Pr-

I suppose I'm thinking in relative terms; it's tricky, 'cus some people are naturally perceiving the contest in a certain light, while others are seeing it in a different context. Tried to cover the range, while giving my opinion...

Kris Blaze
I don't see Superman doing any damage from the inside. He could however, match the power output of the incredibly weakened Thor. Not to imply that Thor is vastly more powerful, but that Superman could actually replicate said scenario and survive instead of being turned into goo.

-Pr-
Originally posted by tideoftime
I suppose I'm thinking in relative terms; it's tricky, 'cus some people are naturally perceiving the contest in a certain light, while others are seeing it in a different context. Tried to cover the range, while giving my opinion...

i actually meant to quote psycho, not you. my bad.

quanchi112
Midgard wins.

psycho gundam

i actually meant to quote psycho, not you. my bad.

k

i see nothing glaringly wrong with it, he even explained why it was going to produce damage with newton's second law of motion, therefor newton's third law was the price he paid for it.

it happens to a lot of characters.

Allankles
Originally posted by quanchi112
Midgard wins.

When did you become such a huge Thor fan? I saw a thread where there was a link to you asking Busiek recently about the nearly ancient JLA/Avengers. Supes owned him man, get over it. :P

quanchi112
Originally posted by Allankles
When did you become such a huge Thor fan? I saw a thread where there was a link to you asking Busiek recently about the nearly ancient JLA/Avengers. Supes owned him man, get over it. :P Supes barely won according to the writer who penciled it. The comic also rammed this point home. Barely beating someone doesn't translate into majority winner.

See Rulk for proof of Thor beating him down in round 2.

JakeTheBank
I personally think that Thor is one of the toughest "2nd round" fighters in comicdom. If for some reason you get the jump on him first round, you can better believe that the second round you fight him, someone is going to eat uru.

quanchi112
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I personally think that Thor is one of the toughest "2nd round" fighters in comicdom. If for some reason you get the jump on him first round, you can better believe that the second round you fight him, someone is going to eat uru. Couldn't agree more.

psycho gundam
hulk is immune to that

manx422
Superman

quanchi112
Originally posted by psycho gundam
hulk is immune to that Yes, but Superman is not. Supes strength doesn't continue to increase when angry.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.