Lucas Calls for Star Wars 3D

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jinsoku Takai
http://movies.ign.com/articles/106/1061786p1.html

Sith Master X
Awesome! Having said that, I'm going to make an early exit from this thread knowing that the "anti-Lucas" army will soon be marching in.

Before the bashing begins....just let the old guy have fun with his films. Take a deep breath....and remember, the world isn't coming to an end. wink

Thanks for the news. big grin

JediRobin23
More Money for Lucas. I'm pro Lucas, but I want to bash him anyway. The 3D is totally going to kill the perception of the movies. And yes, the world is going to end. Probably start if the poles shift in 2012

General G
Cool! 3D Star Wars! From seeing some really good 3D movies from last year, I have some pretty high hopes for this. Hopefully it won't be aimed at a younger audience.

sweersa
It is about time George! This was supposed to happen years ago.

DarthLazious
This could be a good thing and maybe a bad thing.

queeq
The good thing would be the 3D version looks great.

The bad thing: he starts tampering with the cut again. This time the bartender shoots frst.

JediRobin23
bartender or greedo?

Sith Master X
I think Queeq is joking lol aka "more tampering and changing" of things 1000 times over.

I'm excited to see STAR WARS back in the movie theaters again. That alone will make me feel like I'm reliving the good old days. big grin

Sith Master X
Lucas will need to one up AVATAR. "STAR WARS in 4D." Take that Cameron. lol

DarthLazious
I agree he does but I like the Saga the way it is for now.

queeq
Originally posted by Sith Master X
I think Queeq is joking lol aka "more tampering and changing" of things 1000 times over.

I'm excited to see STAR WARS back in the movie theaters again. That alone will make me feel like I'm reliving the good old days. big grin

Thanx SMS... but explaining a joke is rather... err.... yuck. hehehe

coolmovies
Lucas will need to one up AVATAR. "STAR WARS in 4D." Take that Cameron. lol

Lucus will never match Avatar never !

Sith Master X
I still haven't seen AVATAR. Just had other stuff going on, but I can't wait. James Cameron is a great director.

queeq
Story is rather unoriginal, but the film is quite an experience.

General G
Originally posted by queeq
Thanx SMS... but explaining a joke is rather... err.... yuck. hehehe
I kinda laughed out loud when he had to explain it.

I still haven't seen AVATAR. Just had other stuff going on, but I can't wait. James Cameron is a great director.

Gooooooo see it. James Cameron is now responsible for the two highest grossing films of all time. Kudos to him.

queeq
Absolutely.

Sith Master X
Yeah, guess it kind of kills the fun of a joke when you explain it right? lol I wasn't thinking.

And GG, I will definitely see AVATAR. I can't wait.

queeq
Watch it in 3D, if possible in an IMAX theatre.

Sith Master X
Will do. Hopefully I'll get to catch it this weekend when I go home. I'm about 30 minutes away from an IMAX when I'm home, but 3 hours north up at school, there's none around here.

queeq
Oops..

General G
Shame...if you can see it in IMAX, I can only imagine how much better it would be...3D is still spectacular though.

FistOfThe North
yes.

i've always wanted to watch the old trilogy in theatres, now i'll get the chance finally. and in 3D!

can't wait.

oh and Lucas should do a Special Edition for the new trilogy..

roughrider
Originally posted by coolmovies
Lucus will never match Avatar never !

It's the other way around. Cameron is still trying to match Lucas. wink

queeq
That's true though. I doubt if Cameron can ever match the OT's success... however, today Cameron is sure kicking Lucas to kingdom come.

Sith Master X
Yep...Titanic (not ashamed to admit that I love that movie) and AVATAR both prove Cameron's talent as a Filmmaker. No doubts that an AVATAR 2 will be in the works.

queeq
Yup, hope we get a good story this time as well.

General G
haha I liked the story, even though it wasn't original. What is, nowadays? stick out tongue

queeq
Let the Right One in was...

No Country for Old Men was...

Precious was...

Quite a lot actually.

General G
Unfortunately, I have only head of No Country for Old Men from the list you just gave.

queeq
Well, there you go then. It's also about where you look. All of them received quite a bit of (international) attention. Precious has an Oscar nomination for best actress this March.Let the Right One won many awards aroiund the world. Unfortunately, an English remake is in the making...

overlord
Originally posted by General G
Unfortunately, I have only head of No Country for Old Men from the list you just gave. nice sig wink

queeq
Errr.. yeah.

General G
Well, there you go then. It's also about where you look. All of them received quite a bit of (international) attention. Precious has an Oscar nomination for best actress this March.Let the Right One won many awards aroiund the world. Unfortunately, an English remake is in the making...
Was Precious in a foreign tongue also? Unless it is in English or German, or at least has subtitles for the foreign languages, odds are I won't watch it. I watched Mongul (sp?) and loved it thanks to the subs obviously.

Originally posted by overlord
nice sig wink
Thanks, wish I could take total credit for it! And queeq, you know you love it stick out tongue

queeq
Precious is an American film... *rolls eyes*

General G
Never heard of it. Are you sleepy?

queeq
What universe do you live in??

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929632/

roughrider
Yep...Titanic (not ashamed to admit that I love that movie) and AVATAR both prove Cameron's talent as a Filmmaker. No doubts that an AVATAR 2 will be in the works.

The key thing is, how much ownership does Cameron have with the AVATAR property? I bet he doesn't own it like Lucas owns STAR WARS. As owner, Lucas is virtually the only man (possibly excepting Spielberg) in the world who can sink over $100 million of his own money into a film budget, and be there at the end to get 90% of the huge profits. The old saying in Hollywood is to never invest your own money in a film; well, Lucas has done that since TESB and has been getting richer ever since - it's also his way of having creative control, so the studio has no say. Hollywood has tried to make sure the George Lucas story has never repeated - where they gave him the copyright & merchandising rights in 1977 instead of more upfront money, and they turned him into a multi-billionaire with his own independent empire.
Cameron had to sign away any copyright control with the first Terminator film for the right to direct it himself; that's why he can't stop the other movies happening or even benefit. AVATAR had such a huge budget - with financing from several sources - that I'm pretty sure Cameron doesn't have the same control overall, other than getting paid well with profit percentages.
Lucas may be an even better businessman than a filmmaker. With Cameron, it's the opposite. Digital Domian was supposed to be his own ILM, but he was forced to sell it off, in the wake of his $50 million dollar divorce from Linda Hamilton post Titanic (nice timing there.) Now it's WETA & ILM who are doing his FX work.

queeq
So what are you saying: Lucas is making more money with crappy movies? A good business man indeed.

General G
What universe do you live in??

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929632/
Clearly one that does not include the movie, "Precious."

queeq
That says a lot actually.

roughrider
So what are you saying: Lucas is making more money with crappy movies? A good business man indeed.

James Cameron certainly made lots of money with a middling film named Titanic.

General G
That says a lot actually.

How so?

queeq
Meaning... you seem to be into one genre of movies...

Originally posted by roughrider
James Cameron certainly made lots of money with a middling film named Titanic.

All in all, however mushy it was, it was certainly groundbreaking in some respects.

1. Very long film, considered to be uncommercial, breaks all box office records. So at least it was entertaining to a lot of people.

2. Beautiful technical blends between documentary underwater footage (filmed by Cameron's crew himself!) and CGI reconstruction

3. First shot at a purely romanctic film and he makes a hit

4. Not a bad film unless you hate romantic mushy stuff. I don't think it's a bad film at all actually.

Now, as for the PT.... that didn't break any new ground that wasn't being broken by other and even better (i.e. Gollum vs. Jar Jar)

General G
I think you are making statements based on very little information.

Sith Master X
Agree with you Queeq, the PT certainly didn't break any new grounds. Then again, with having the OT as it's predecessor, what sort of new grounds could he break though, unless he took it in the 3D direction and people liked it.

I know what you mean, I just don't know what they could have done that would be considered groundbreaking. Any thoughts?

queeq
Better scripts, better stories. Because if the PT fails anywhere it's in the very lousy storytelling. If you're doing such a big trilogy with such great expectations, you have to be on your toes. Jackson was on his toes doing LOTR, he certainly made an impression. Cameron did with Avatar... It's not like it's impossible, Lucas just didn't do it.

And G, what do you mean, little information. I doubt you were old enough to see the hype Titanic was at the time... Let alone SW in the 70s and 80s. Trust me, in comparison to those and Avatar or LOTR, the PT had a very lukewarm reception.

Sith Master X
Yeah, I hear ya. I get what you're saying.

I can definitely see where people's disappointment lies within the first 2 prequels, even though I personally enjoyed them.

But I still think Lucas did a wonderful job on ROTS. It may be a CGI fest, but there's alot of ROTS that was done right. It's not as dark as I was hoping it would be, I would have taken some things in a complete different direction in terms of making more sense and not being forced, but overall, ROTS to me was a very fun movie. Groundbreaking? No. Perfect, No? But fun, and I can say I personally enjoy it far more than at least 2 of the 0T movies.

If anyone has seen the clip of George Lucas' recent appearance on "The Daily Show with John Stewart" GL basically proves what I've been saying all along about the shift in the Star Wars generation. The kids love it, people who saw it as kids still like it now as young adults, and most of those who saw the originals when they were young, weren't thrilled with the PT. I know that's sort of generic and doesn't apply to every single one of us, but I think it's kind of true in most parts.

queeq
I saw that. He was basically saying that quality is based on the amount of people who consume it. There was a slight flaw in that: the largest PT fanbase are kids sub 9. The OT fanbase included a lot of older people. I really wonder how a lot of kids will view the PT in ten years or so.

I remember totally loving some tv shows in my youth. When I see them now all I can do is cringe... soooo bad.

sweersa
I am going to stick my neck out there as usual. To be honest I was one of those youngsters who grew up with the PT. I was 9 when Episode I came out and absolutely loved it. I still enjoy it today, despite Jar Jar, and maybe a few other things everyone hates. I don't let the gungan, and that annoying kid playing Anakin bother me. I loved Episode 2 and Revenge of the Sith really doesn't need mention it was amazing.

I like the PT as much as I do the OT. Time will ultimately tell how people perceive them, Star Wars movies are movies and I love them all. Except for that cartoon one, hehe. I use that Blu Ray just to test my players color contrasts.

I have some not so perfect opionions on the PT, but I don't let them bother me. My main beef was little Anakin (Jake) and not having Qui-Gon in III.

overlord
despite jar jar?????

queeq
Good point.

Well, my main beef with the PT is the awful storytelling. Where the OT is crisp in clear (well, it gets a little dodgy in ROTJ), the PT is a mess. The characters have very little depth and they act mainly because the plot requires them. The ultimate flaw is in the love affair between Anakin and Padme, which is the most crucial plot line in the PT and it sucks balls the size of Tatooine. They HAVE to fall in love because Luke and Leia have to be born. But Anakin is a total dick head. Why Padme falls in love with that spoiled brat is completelt beyond me. The love scenes are very bad. So we can conclude only one thing: she falls in love with him because the plot requires her to.

The other main story line is Anakin's fall to the Dark side. That whole story in ROTS is weird, inconsistent and doesn't make sense at all. From about to arrest Sidious, turning him and offering his services to take him out, to going after him, saving him, wondering what the heck he did to kneeling before Sidious: it's a mess mess mess.

And when a trilogy messes up it's two main plotlines... there's not much to it, is there.

overlord
true

Sith Master X
Well yes, in terms of Anakin falling to the darkside, that was one of my biggest beefs with ROTS.....to me it's a mess because it was incredibly rushed. Afterward, we barely even see Anakin and Palpatine together. No no no! This should have been expanded upon greatly. We should have seen Palpatine training Anakin to use the dark side, rather than immediately ship him off to start doing ungodly things that no one would do without careful consideration.

The Coruscant Theater scene in ROTS was terrific, one of my favorite of all 6 movies, in which it nicely establishes Palpatine luring Anakin to the darkside, but the problem is, there needed to be alot more of that. Alot more dark scenes with Palpatine and Anakin all leading up to his eventual turn.

Even after Anakin turns to the darkside, he's still doesn't come across as being truely evil. Sure, he kills the younglings, but then has scenes with Padme aftewards in his normal good self. I desperately wanted to see Anakin becoming more and more evil. I wanted scenes with Obi-Wan in the mix of things, trying to bring him back until there's no hope, rather than him doing some boga chase that really doesn't have to alot to do with the core focus of the film.

People always wonder why I say I didn't like Grievous, and there's a huge reason to that. He was a distraction in the movie, and took away from what should have been more focus on Anakin and Obi-Wan. It was an excuse to send Obi-Wan somewhere and have him out of the loop while Anakin was up to no good, when instead, to me, it would have been alot more powerful if Obi-Wan was witnessing these things first hand...not just some security hologram...them boom...yeah. "he's evil."

Yet, I don't really these things bother me, and I don't lose any sleep over it. lol It's a shame that some things that "could have been" were ultimately missing, but the bottom line is, they're just movies...pieces of entertainment. I don't think GL set out on a mission all those years ago to ruin his legacy. I still think the PT takes more heat than it really deserves, because bottom line, there's tons of similarities between the PT and OT, but the OT was created in an era which it did things no other films had even attempted, and with the release of the PT, it was sort of "yeah, what's new. It's been done already."

queeq
Well, yeah, but still... for the first time in his life Lucas had no limitations and he came up with this... Maybe a few limitations make the film maker better.

overlord
I can't wait to play jedi in a holodeck world big grin

sweersa

...sucks balls the size of Tatooine... But Anakin is a total dick head...

You nailed it right there. Don't forget some girls love A-holes like Anakin. Don't tell me he didn't get Padme a bit excited when he told her he wasted the sand people.

queeq
Hehehe... and sure, maybe some girl get excited by a-holes like Anakin. But this is Padme, former queen of Naboor and boring superresponsible uber-democrat...

Ah well...

overlord
yea padme doesn't go for bad boys, but he seduced her nonetheless big grin

sweersa
Hehehe... and sure, maybe some girl get excited by a-holes like Anakin. But this is Padme, former queen of Naboor and boring superresponsible uber-democrat...

Ah well...

All good points. Lets ask George Lucas, he is the girl master, after all he created Star Wars.

Hahaha.

queeq
Originally posted by overlord
yea padme doesn't go for bad boys, but he seduced her nonetheless big grin

Actually... I saw no seduction.... I saw some corny lines from a cheap dime novel, but I saw no seduction.

overlord
yea it was pretty hopeless

queeq
Very.

sweersa
Lucas failed the take the opportunity to teach Star Wars fans how to get women and made it far worse. Unless you are after 14 year olds and in that case hopefully that makes it all redundant.

Zoom
That is one of the best reviews of Lucas written dialogue I have ever read. big grin

Sadako of Girth
I thought the whole point of the Anakin/Padme thing was to show what a doomed, failed, probably-never-should-have-been-relationship goes, not a perfect one.
Its meant to be awkward and I dont think a pimpin version of Anakin would have worked.

Sith Master X
I think alot of people don't get it. Yes GL isn't a dialogue master, but they don't need to necessarily speak the way "we do." Has anyone ever heard Shakespearean plays?

The dialogue in the Padme/Anakin scenes isn't meant to teach Junior High students how to get a girl to go to the prom with you.

Remember, it's a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away....Not Earth. They don't need to speak "rich Hollywood" dialogue.

Embrace Star Wars for what it was always meant to be, a visual story. We should all realize that by this point. I don't know why we continue to nitpick the dialogue. It is what it is. It's time to move on I think.

roughrider
Nothing could stop Lucas from converting these into 3D right now - right? So what's the agenda - is he waiting for the live action show to get on the air first, and create a buzz of fresh publicity?

Sith Master X
Probably going to let the "AVATAR" craze settle. Then they will release it when it won't have to be directly compared to something else.

queeq
Embrace Star Wars for what it was always meant to be, a visual story. We should all realize that by this point. I don't know why we continue to nitpick the dialogue. It is what it is. It's time to move on I think.

Star Wars made an impact because its universe also felt very believeable. The love story is far from that.

Sith Master X
I agree, the love story isn't all that terrific, but I just don't let it ruin my experience. smile

queeq
I'm impressed that you can.

For me, it's the major plot of the PT... it sets his fall to the dark side in motion. And if that doesn't work, the entire PT feels obsolete.

~JP~
Trust me, in comparison to those and Avatar or LOTR, the PT had a very lukewarm reception.

Now I wouldnt say that exactly. TPM was HUGE at first.

queeq
I mean in critical acclaim... not box office.

~JP~
Ah well yes, there is that. laughing out loud

queeq
Classics do kinda live on due to critical acclaim from both critics and viewers...

Sith Master X
I think it all depends on that whole cult following. Some films live on forever, while others remain popular for a while then sort of die a slow and painful death.

2 years ago at this time, the only thing people were talking about was "The Dark Knight." That went on for months even after the movie was released. Now? You don't hear to much about it, and in 10 years, it's just another movie.

Star Wars just has that certain magic that no franchise has been able to touch. Even if the newer ones didn't live up to everyone's expectations,
it still drew all the old fans and new fans back to the theaters, and I'll always stand by saying ROTS shouldn't be classified as "PT garbage" since I believe....at best...it was at least better than one of the originals. ROTJ. Just my opinion though.

queeq
But that was always my point. Why are they only better than ROTJ? (IMHO not all of the PT movies are, ROTS is). This was the first time Lucas hardly had any limitations, both moneywise as well as technology wise. And somehow he is not able to get a decent story on screen, nor is he able to make movies that bring a mind blowing new look or style, like LOTR did and for instance Avatar did. To me that is quite incomprehensible.

Sith Master X
I think it's just the way they turned out to be honest. Sometimes a decent story can be overshadowed by a poor atmosphere.

I think the biggest disadvantage the PT had going for it was the fact that Vader (behind the helmet) was only something we would get to experience at the end of ROTS, where in the OT, he was the dominant force in ANH, ESB, and ROTJ. Think about it actually, what is the OT without Vader? I think he's the one that made those films as iconic as they are. I know Han Solo and the rest of the cast made it great also, but Vader was the foundation of it.

It's just weird though. I can promise you, as a director, nobody goes out with the intention of destroying their films. Spielberg I'm sure didn't mean to ruin Indiana Jones....even though, while I enjoyed Krystal Skull, it certainly wasn't on par with the original 3. Just because GL pushed for an alien storyline doesn't mean the film couldn't work. There have been several "alien" films that have all worked incredibly well....it's just how everything pans out in the end. The locations you film, the chemistry, the look, feel atmosphere....sometimes by luck it works....other times, it's just didn't have it. Of course, having a good story is a given.

sweersa
I feel Skull could have worked a lot more if it wasn't for Shia and the poor acting I felt by the ahem, older actors. It seemed like one big joke.

Sith Master X
And also...just to follow up on something you mentioned Queeq...about GL not having any limitations...

I think one of the reasons they PT didn't live up to the OT for a lot of people is because sometimes not having limitations is bad thing. You play around with all the great effects, which is cool, but you lose site of backing those effects up with a good storyline.

I don't think that PT's story is as rich or in depth as the OT by any means, but I recognize that the PT was never meant to be the OT, but a new breed of films. They do have tons of flaws, but when you overlook obvious flaws such as mediocre dialogue and Jar Jar Binks, there's a beautiful story of a boy who just wanted to control what he couldn't control...fate, destiny and attachment. It's all there, you just gotta dig a little deep to find it. wink

~JP~
I think it's just the way they turned out to be honest. Sometimes a decent story can be overshadowed by a poor atmosphere.

I think the biggest disadvantage the PT had going for it was the fact that Vader (behind the helmet) was only something we would get to experience at the end of ROTS, where in the OT, he was the dominant force in ANH, ESB, and ROTJ. Think about it actually, what is the OT without Vader? I think he's the one that made those films as iconic as they are. I know Han Solo and the rest of the cast made it great also, but Vader was the foundation of it.

It's just weird though. I can promise you, as a director, nobody goes out with the intention of destroying their films. Spielberg I'm sure didn't mean to ruin Indiana Jones....even though, while I enjoyed Krystal Skull, it certainly wasn't on par with the original 3. Just because GL pushed for an alien storyline doesn't mean the film couldn't work. There have been several "alien" films that have all worked incredibly well....it's just how everything pans out in the end. The locations you film, the chemistry, the look, feel atmosphere....sometimes by luck it works....other times, it's just didn't have it. Of course, having a good story is a given.

I will tell you where Lucas screwed up with the PT. By writing it himself. The man SUCKS at dialog. I mean he could have written the story and then turned it over to a decent screenwriter because he's hideous.

Sith Master X
Yeah, but let's not forget, he also wrote ANH, and Harrison Ford crabbed about the corny dialogue while filming. Bad dialogue didn't just come out of the prequels.

queeq
Ford, Hamill and Fisher changed a lot of the dialogue. They worked on set to make it work. From what I saw from the Behind the Scenes featurettes of the PT there was no such room at all...

sweersa
Ford, Hamill and Fisher changed a lot of the dialogue. They worked on set to make it work. From what I saw from the Behind the Scenes featurettes of the PT there was no such room at all...

Wrong, the room existed but it was in CGI.

queeq
And I bet the computers added a lot to the storyline...

Sith Master X
They did. Don't you know how Mr. Lucas operates? Who needs a script when you have computers. stick out tongue

queeq
Hehehe, sounds about right.

Sith Master X
Thing is though, I see nothing wrong with computers and CGI...when it is used effectively.

The PT had a mixture of really good, and not so great.

To me, the not so great....Kamino....Naboo, Utapau. Jedi Temple from Episode II.

The Good: Space Battles....Mustafar....Coruscant...Geonosis (in some areas) Jedi Temple looks much better this time around. Kashyyyk was nice.

Some of the sets added in with CGI looked good as well, like Padme's Balcony in Episode 3.

It wasn't all that bad to me. But some parts could have felt and looked better.

queeq
THey look slick but a little dead as well.

THe thing they didn't quite grasp was the look that made Star Wars great: the used future look. It used to be Lucas' big thing. He had it in THX-1138 and in all the SW movies. He used to say: no matter how new stuff is or how far in the future, it's always beings used and therefore looks a little worn.

Why he suddenly abandoned that idea and went to a self-concocted time frame where everything suddenly DOES look brand new and unused is quite beyond me.

Sith Master X
Very true. It looked almost "too new."

I think some of that's because of the CGI being too clean....and nowadays with the quality of these DVD's and blue ray, you notice the fake texture look more as opposed to old VHS tapes that are grainy and hide some of that "cleanness."

The other major disadvantage you get using CGI is "lighting." I don't care how advanced technology gets, you can never get that "natural lighting feel" using CGI then you do if you build an actual set and light it with equipment, or have natural sunlight.

CGI lighting is not where it needs to be yet, and while it can be quite good, it can often times look terrible.

This screenshot from Episode 2 is a perfect example to me of "fake lighting" that kills the CGI.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/darthsadistic/Fakelighting.jpg

roughrider
THey look slick but a little dead as well.

THe thing they didn't quite grasp was the look that made Star Wars great: the used future look. It used to be Lucas' big thing. He had it in THX-1138 and in all the SW movies. He used to say: no matter how new stuff is or how far in the future, it's always beings used and therefore looks a little worn.

Why he suddenly abandoned that idea and went to a self-concocted time frame where everything suddenly DOES look brand new and unused is quite beyond me.

You know he set out for a deliberate look & feel for the PT. He wanted to show the tech evolving from more fanciful designs to the more mechanical - Naboo's royal cruisers would stick out more in the OT, with their silver sleek, Flash Gordon look.
And the settings are completely different. Instead of the cramped military headquarters the rebels are always on the verge of abandoning, and their motley mix of star cruisers that make up their assembled fleet, the PT is set in the political halls of power for the most part, in places that get regular cleaning. When they went back to Tatooine in the PT, he kept the same look used from the OT (it had already been established, so he couldn't really change anything.)

queeq
I know all that. But the fact remains is that the whole used-future look is gone. All you have to do is watch the movies. Even Tatooine looks clean. Well, maybe in TPM it's not that bad. But in AOTC Tatooine looks brand new. Even the Tusken Village looks like some Swiss dudes came by to clean the place up.

So that he chose for the silver, sleek, Flash Gordon look, is contradictory to the whole philosophy he had during the 80s and contributed to the succes and unicity of SW. He lost that here and I don't understand why. As I said, it was his big thing.

LanceWindu
Yeah, I can understand wanting "newer" looking things in the PT, before the galaxy degenerated into war, but it was too big of a leap in technology. It's like Apple computers vs the old clunky computers of the 1960's.

queeq
But still, as Lucas argued in making THX-1138, even when stuff is new and futuristic, it's always being used. Our society is pure science fiction compared to the fifties, yet do we not have monitors and keyboards with stains on them? Yes we do, even brand new ones.
In THX-1138 he made sure the pristine white walls he used even had a smudge mark here and there... because that's what happens with brand new white walls: they get smudged. And, most importantly, it takes them away from being a fake set to something that people actually live in. The CGI sets in the PT don't look like people actually live there.

sweersa
I thought the PT capture the used future look well. Just check out the visual dictionary for any of those movies. You can see even in ATOC the rough Clone Trooper armor. Plus without the Empire hoarding resources I would assume items and vehicles would be in a nicer condition.

queeq
They already looked nice in ANH.

sweersa
They already looked nice in ANH.

Not the sandtroopers. I imagine the Death Star ones had higher standards.

queeq
And they should. That was very nice, the sand scarred uniforms.

mrblue
i wouldnt see any of them in 3D..

sweersa
And they should. That was very nice, the sand scarred uniforms.

When I was a kid I always thought the sandtroopers were the "nice ones" because they didn't try to kill the heroes at first, lol!

Jack Daniels
hey sweersa your alive! thought maybe you caught vd from a female gungun or wookie..lol...haha wuts up nice to c ya

roughrider
The 3D release comes in 2012!

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/09/28/star-wars-saga-in-3d-will-start-in-theaters-in-2012/

Sith Master X
You beat me to it. I was just going to post the same thing, but from a different sight.

I guess I'm pretty excited for this.

queeq
I am excited and afraid...

coolmovies
I really hate Lucus now he only wants to turn them into 3D so he can make more cash !!

Sith Master X
lol What human being in their right mind wouldn't want to make more cash? I'd do the same thing if I were him.

But really, maybe he just wants to have fun with his creation. You know George, he's not hesitant to try new things.

queeq
But I doubt he will let the opportunity pass to make more changes.

InfernoJG95
and i hate people who hate george lucas. HE MADE STAR WARS. IF HE WANTS TO EDIT IT HE CAN EDIT IT. HE OWNS THE EFFING RIGHTS TO IT FOR CHRIST SAKE NOT YOU!

queeq
Well,no, actually. SW is part of history and he is changing it. At least, he doesn't allow access to the originals in a decent way. Like he is ashamed of the enormous film phenomenon the original films were. Plus he keeps tinkering with it not always making it better... We pay a lot for his stuff, he might as well give us something we'd really like from him. He doesn't have to, but he certainly makes no effort in making us understand his choices.

Sith Master X
I agree that Lucas should quit making changes.

They really botched the Lightsabers on the DVD's I have.

queeq
They did: Vader with a pink lightsabre????? OMG...

Sith Master X
Yep, and Luke's is somehow green in ANH when he's on the Falcon.

Eitherway, the quality just looked really cruddy...like someone took a crayon and colored over them.

queeq
I agree... that is one thing they can change... or put the old ones back, even they looked better with 30 year old technology.

Sith Master X
They sure did.

queeq
Go figure...

darthmaul1
Originally posted by coolmovies
I really hate Lucus now he only wants to turn them into 3D so he can make more cash !!

You hate Lucas now? WTF? yes he gets more cash, but lets face it even if he were to rerelease all the movies back into theaters for one month each without doing anything to them we would go see them again just to see them on the big screen again. i know i would. i have nieces that i can take to see it in the theater, and it would be a new experience.
the 3D i'm not all that fussy for but if that is the way to see it in the theater at that time then i will go.

queeq
The 3D will be fun.

tom_servo
WHY, GOD, WHY?!

queeq
For the fun of it.

Sith Master X
Yep, and the nostalgia of seeing SW on the big screen all over again. I'll be there for all six films.

queeq
Me too.

~JP~
Im undecided on seeing these yet.

Sith Master X
Oh, you know you'll end up seeing them. stick out tongue

queeq
And we'll all pretend not to recognise each other in the movies.

darth radon
I still haven't seen AVATAR. Just had other stuff going on, but I can't wait. James Cameron is a great director. it is graet in 3d

queeq
IMAX 3d...

Sith Master X
Well, I finally did end up seeing AVATAR. I may have mentioned that at some point here but I can't remember. lol

I loved it.

queeq
It was good, story was weak though. But the pace and look of the movie pretty much compensated that. The weak villains however were not masked by all the spectacle.

Sith Master X
I agree with you there, but as you said the pacing and the whole feel in general was fantastic.

~JP~
Oh, you know you'll end up seeing them. stick out tongue

No, Im not so sure. The 3-D would have to be as good as or better than the 3-D in Avatar. Nothing Ive seen since has stood up to that.

queeq
I dunno... it may just add a fun great new dimension to what we already know. It just depends... I have no idea.

I didn't think 3D added much to Alice in Wonderland, since that movie ws not shot with 3D in mind. It look beautiful without the 3D.... Avatar is a different story altogether... I almost got sick of heights when wtaching that in IMAX 3D... it was fantastic.

Dum Dum Dugan
what time frame is he doing? like during Mace Windu era?

Sith Master X
Are you talking about the potential new Star Wars films? Again, it was rumored by a highly credible source from IESB, and if it is at all true, it's likely we won't hear about it for quite some time.

However, they claimed it would be "well into the future." That means probably an entire new cast of characters....well beyond Luke's era.

queeq
Or not at all... that was Lucasfilm's response anyway.

Sith Master X
Yep, but LucasFilm has been caught denying things in the past that turned out to be true.

But anyway, all speculation at this point. I think if this is at all true, we're likely not to have a formal announcement until the re-release of the SW movies comes out in 3D.

queeq
True.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.