Michael Bay Talks Transformers 3

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Nuul
Michael Bay Talks Transformers 3
Source:Los Angeles Times
January 15, 2010

The Los Angeles Times reports that Transformers 3 director Michael Bay briefly spoke about the third installment at a discussion on sound in film:

So can we expect more thunderous sound in the third installment? Although the number of robots increased significantly from the first film for the second, the third film -- which will hit theaters in summer 2011, won't be as robot-heavy and there will be fewer explosions, a tight-lipped Bay said after the Q+A.

"There will be a nice crescendo ending," Bay said. "It gets much more into the robot character. The last time you kind of met a few of the robots; this time you're gonna get a much cooler landscape."

Transformers 3 hits theaters on July 1, 2011.

Lincoln Rhyme
The first was bad and the second one was worse.I'm gonna wait for Cinemax for this one.

Sabu935
If I could see the action it would probably be a good movie,but it was like watching blurs on the screen.I'm not going to see this one.

Sadako of Girth
Me neither.

He could put Unicron in it for all I care, but after the first two Im ditching number 3.

lord xyz
Fewer explosions?

But Bay, comedians everywhere need new material after Bush left.

lordmegatron1
What the f**k?
The first was good. The second all right, but now a third. If I'm left out then this movie will SUCK ASS!!!

roughrider
I'm waiting for the third with good expectations. I'm not that big a fan of Bay, but he can make giant robots fighting like no one's business.
They must have a good machine running at ILM, to have the pre-viz & animation done in just two year gaps, rahter than the usual three.

Kazenji
The sequal has been nominated for a Razzie.

Sadako of Girth
A extremely well deserved nomination if ever I heard of one..

roughrider
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
A extremely well deserved nomination if ever I heard of one..

Yeah, well you know some other films that have gotten razzie nominations as worst picture? The Shining & The Blair Witch Project, to name two.

Sadako of Girth
Actually I did not know that.
Did they win their respective nominations...?

Kazenji
Originally posted by roughrider
Yeah, well you know some other films that have gotten razzie nominations as worst picture? The Shining & The Blair Witch Project, to name two.

Worst picture....i don't think so for The Shining

http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic330_page2.html

it was only nominated for WORST ACTRESS and WORST DIRECTOR.

roughrider
Originally posted by Kazenji
Worst picture....i don't think so for The Shining

http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic330_page2.html

it was only nominated for WORST ACTRESS and WORST DIRECTOR.

Yeah, so Wikipedia once had it wrong. The point is the same - they overreacted with The Shining. Stanley Kubrick getting nominated as Worst Director, ever? Sacrilege.
And they overreact with other films in the past.

BruceSkywalker
i am looking forward to transformers 3 and beyond

Sadako of Girth
Im looking forward to it being beyond.

willman
I loved the first film. The second was outrageous....one minute they are in America, then they are in Egypt. The girl Sam has the hots for is suddenly a robot., introducing new characters left right and centre, making up some badass robot who's even more high ranked than Megatron, even though hes never been mentioned before, hiding a weapon in a SOLID pyramid. Sacrilige! Im sure they just made the script up as they went along.

Im not going to bother going to see number 3 at the cinema, and i certainly wont buy it. I'll borrow it from a gullible friend at most if im bored.

Sadako of Girth
Willman spoke pure wisdom just then.

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by lord xyz
Fewer explosions?

But Bay, comedians everywhere need new material after Bush left.
If those comedians are trying to get by on Michael Bay jokes then material is the least of their concerns.

roughrider
Originally posted by willman
I loved the first film. The second was outrageous....one minute they are in America, then they are in Egypt. The girl Sam has the hots for is suddenly a robot., introducing new characters left right and centre, making up some badass robot who's even more high ranked than Megatron, even though hes never been mentioned before, hiding a weapon in a SOLID pyramid. Sacrilige! Im sure they just made the script up as they went along.

Im not going to bother going to see number 3 at the cinema, and i certainly wont buy it. I'll borrow it from a gullible friend at most if im bored.

I guess if you watch something without paying attention, you will be confused. That's what I got from your complaints.

lordmegatron1
I agree. Wait a minute! Did I just agree with a humanoid!?! I must be sick or something.

Kazenji
I Guess a lil bit of Skynet has gotten into your system.

lordmegatron1
Shut up you big oaf. I haven't been around Skynet for over 50 years. I've been stuck inside humans helping the symbiotes drain their life forceto regain full power.

willman
Originally posted by roughrider
I guess if you watch something without paying attention, you will be confused. That's what I got from your complaints.

I was paying attention, i was paying enough attention to see that they kept stopping the action for a romance that was never developed in the first film (and no one really cared). The real thing that brought this movie down though was the constant stooping to an immature level. Those two twin autobots were introduced who were supposed to be "hip" maybe? They just turned out to be extremely annoying and to bring down the level of the movie as a whole. I walked out of the cinema when i heard one of them say he was gonna "pop a cap in yo a55"...when i watched it on DVD i tried to put up with it but trying to remain seated for the whole thing was a real test.

Only one sequel tops T2 for horrendous storyline and that's POTC: At Worlds End.

EDIT: Its good to see that T2 is also up for 7 Razzies: Worst film, Worst director, Worst supporting actress, Worst screenplay, Worst actress, Worst screen couple and Worst remake, ripoff or sequel.

lordmegatron1
Boy that's pathetic.

lordmegatron1
Kill Bay. Hire more directors like Spielberg or Ivan.giljotiini

Kazenji
Ivan the terrible?

lordmegatron1
No stupid Ivan Reichtman.
doh

Kazenji
Sorry if i don't know every single director......oh mighty scrap heap.

darthmaul1
the first movie was great, the 2nd sucked ass, and im sure the 3rd one will do the same

Scythe
I have good, not high, expectations for the 3rd. Unlike so many others, I enjoyed both movies. I didn't go into the theater expecting Oscar worthy acting, just good CGI, which it had. The first movie gave me a feeling of nostalgia, seeing Prime look all realistic was great. The second film played out like two kids playing in the sandbox. Which is what TF's is to me, good memories of playing in the sandbox with my friends. I don't want an epic movie with a TDK-like storyline that involves TF's, I want giant robots fighting. I mean, people complained the plot to TF 2 was stupid, yet some of the G1 toons made little to no sense as well. Probably why I liked TF 2 so much. So yeah, bring on TF 3, make it as dumb as possible and pack it with explosions, if I want good acting, I'll go watch Moon, TDK or District 9.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Scythe
I have good, not high, expectations for the 3rd. Unlike so many others, I enjoyed both movies. I didn't go into the theater expecting Oscar worthy acting, Neither did we...just reasonable acting would have done, but a shit script is a shit script no matter HOW well acted it is.
To reduce everyone else complaints to that small complaint on a long list of bigger ones is odd, to me.

And you can see that in lots of other movies also...by that rationale War of the worlds, Terminator Salvation, Avatar all better TFs movies..?
..CGI in this day and age not a strong enough point on its own to justify it as main-draw power IMO..

Realistic to what exactly...? Not the Prime we knew.
If a turd was portrayed realistically on film, that in itself is not enough to watch it.

Ah well that sandbox'll always still be there for you, just avoid the mysterious soft cigar shaped objects that keep appearing in it for they are not some transformable poopicon.. stick out tongue

The characters and plots are what made it great and different from generic robot thrillers. F**k up those aspects and you render the movie worthless.
Read Target:2006 and tell me that wasnt more gripping and advanced than a sanpit game with your mates back in the day.

Thats why they shoulda based it on the comics. They were great and made more sense.
The cartoon series was way dumbed down. But it and the Transformers movie were way superior to the Bay movies, nonetheless.
And if you're gonna mess with the concept, the designs, the characters, and sacrifice so many great and unique things that made the original so great, the story had better be epic. And nope its not even halfway as epic as the original 86 movie. Lets face it: The 1st 20 mins of that movie had more of interest than nearly 5 hours Michael Bay had yielded.

Without good acting, good plot and characters, its just 2hrs of devastator balls, John Tuturros crotch and annoying RC transformers that curse the whole time to appeal to the minds of 12 year olds, and seeing the memories of old beloved characters rolled through the dirt and raped hard in the ass to line Bay's duvet stuffed with cash.

Scythe
Neither did we...just reasonable acting would have done, but a shit script is a shit script no matter HOW well acted it is.
To reduce everyone else complaints to that small complaint on a long list of bigger ones is odd, to me.

That's good. Almost everyone I went to go see it with expected academy award winning acting in this, AND G.I. Joe. I laughed.

And you can see that in lots of other movies also...by that rationale War of the worlds, Terminator Salvation, Avatar all better TFs movies..?
..CGI in this day and age not a strong enough point on its own to justify it as main-draw power IMO..

To me it was a big deal though, the bots looked great. Sort of a cross between Terminator and Alternators, though that's just my opinion. I would've liked to see the bots look all blocky though, like a tad bit G1-ish, haha.

Realistic to what exactly...? Not the Prime we knew.
If a turd was portrayed realistically on film, that in itself is not enough to watch it.

There's been so many different incarnations of Prime, that I'm just so used to seeing something different. Armada's Prime was reckless, Alternity's Prime is nuts in a cosmic scale, and Car Robot's Prime was pretty lethal. So it's easy to grasp the concept of a Prime that's far away from G1, at least for me.

for they are not some transformable poopicon.. stick out tongue

Hahaha, poopicon.

The characters and plots are what made it great and different from generic robot thrillers. F**k up those aspects and you render the movie worthless.
Read Target:2006 and tell me that wasnt more gripping and advanced than a sanpit game with your mates back in the day.

Target: 2006 was awesome, even Call Of The Primitives. Should they reboot the franchise, I'd love to see films based around either of those two concepts.

Thats why they shoulda based it on the comics. They were great and made more sense. The cartoon series was way dumbed down. But it and the Transformers movie were way superior to the Bay movies, nonetheless. And if you're gonna mess with the concept, the designs, the characters, and sacrifice so many great and unique things that made the original so great, the story had better be epic. And nope its not even halfway as epic as the original 86 movie. Lets face it: The 1st 20 mins of that movie had more of interest than nearly 5 hours Michael Bay had yielded.

Yes, the comics would've been a much more successful hit, I agree. the UK comics would've been enough to make it amazing.

Without good acting, good plot and characters, its just 2hrs of devastator balls, John Tuturros crotch and annoying RC transformers that curse the whole time to appeal to the minds of 12 year olds, and seeing the memories of old beloved characters rolled through the dirt and raped hard in the ass to line Bay's duvet stuffed with cash.

Yeah, and I'm not saying the Bay films are perfect, I just flat out enjoyed them, but they do have their faults/flaws, but the main thing that I'm glad about, is that the Bay films brought TF's to a new generation and made it possible to spawn more movies, tv shows and great toys because interest was brought back. We're getting that WFC game, and who knows what else is in the horizon.

darthmaul1
For me it was the way the movie was presented. the first one was great but the 2nd the way it was put together was terrible, over the top parents, leo and simmons, robots humping (stupid not funny) introduction of characters (there was none). reduced parts and lines for previous characters that were good, the fact the transformers are a secret (stupid). autobot "heaven". geographical errors abound just f*cking retarded, the whole thing.

BruceSkywalker
http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=9191

Alpha Centauri
I still don't get why people harp on the design changes.

Did you really expect Prowl to show up as a Datsun? They couldn't have looked like the cartoon and people need to accept that.

Additionally, I don't see why people keep coming back to Devastator's balls. That was maybe four seconds of screen time and it's getting blown WAY out of proportion.

There're some really enjoyable parts to the movies when I watch them now, but most of my enjoyment was reactionary. I can't wait them again without noticing horrid flaws.

With that said, Michael Bay isn't Satan and these movies aren't the devil.

-AC

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I still don't get why people harp on the design changes.

Did you really expect Prowl to show up as a Datsun? They couldn't have looked like the cartoon and people need to accept that.

Additionally, I don't see why people keep coming back to Devastator's balls. That was maybe four seconds of screen time and it's getting blown WAY out of proportion.

There're some really enjoyable parts to the movies when I watch them now, but most of my enjoyment was reactionary. I can't wait them again without noticing horrid flaws.

With that said, Michael Bay isn't Satan and these movies aren't the devil.

-AC

I loved the design changes, and as for devastators balls it's just stupid and takes you out of the moment. Devistator wasn't even needed Megatron could of ripped the top off the pyramid easy enough, but there was much more that just made it dumber than a sack of door knobs. Like simmons calling a ship in the gulf and shooting devastator frigin retarded. I managed to cut that whole part out of the movie and reduced from 2hrs 30min to 1hr 30min.

Scythe
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Like simmons calling a ship in the gulf and shooting devastator frigin retarded. I managed to cut that whole part out of the movie and reduced from 2hrs 30min to 1hr 30min.

It was a deus ex machina, so many other movies have had one as well. Like Star Wars, I enjoyed SW as much as the next guy, but the Deathstar has a narrow corridor that if two fireballs trave straight through it, and make a 90 degree angle plummet straight down due to religious aspects will then ignite something inside it that causes the whole place to explode? Haha, sometimes they make the film much more entertaining. I remember I laughed when I saw the ship with the B.F.G.. They could've done much worse, I think, but it does seem like people are milking the dogs humping and Dev's balls a little too much.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by darthmaul1
I loved the design changes, and as for devastators balls it's just stupid and takes you out of the moment. Devistator wasn't even needed Megatron could of ripped the top off the pyramid easy enough, but there was much more that just made it dumber than a sack of door knobs. Like simmons calling a ship in the gulf and shooting devastator frigin retarded. I managed to cut that whole part out of the movie and reduced from 2hrs 30min to 1hr 30min.

It was about five seconds long, if that.

It was nothing.

-AC

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Scythe
It was a deus ex machina, so many other movies have had one as well. Like Star Wars, I enjoyed SW as much as the next guy, but the Deathstar has a narrow corridor that if two fireballs trave straight through it, and make a 90 degree angle plummet straight down due to religious aspects will then ignite something inside it that causes the whole place to explode? Haha, sometimes they make the film much more entertaining. I remember I laughed when I saw the ship with the B.F.G.. They could've done much worse, I think, but it does seem like people are milking the dogs humping and Dev's balls a little too much.

For me it was just the fact that when i saw them it took me out of the movie experience. and then the stuff with them going to the aironautic space museum in washington dc and then they go outside to the bone yard in arizona!! and going from eygpt to jordan and skipping over israel
and where they supposedly dropped prime is no where near the pyramids the pyramids are 250miles to the west. The transformers are a secret?? how in the hell did they cover up the battle they had in the city at the end?? All of that plus more took me out of the movie cause it was f*cking stupid. Even in the first one they made up a fake city to fight in, and that is fine. so why couldn't they of called the museum the obama air museum?? then you could put what ever you want to outside.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It was about five seconds long, if that.

It was nothing.

-AC

But a much longer time period when combined with Wheelie's dumb Leg humping, ('Cause yeah TFs are sexual beings right...? lolz) and the other trouser, balls ass jokes throughout.

darthmaul1
But a much longer time period when combined with Wheelie's dumb Leg humping, ('Cause yeah TFs are sexual beings right...? lolz) and the other trouser, balls ass jokes throughout.
Yup that's what had me rolling my eyes and took me out of the movie so i could pic it to pieces after that.

viceTommy
I love 1 & 2.
Can't wait for the 3.
So exited with.
I am a real fan of TRANSFORMERS!!!

darthmaul1
Originally posted by viceTommy
I love 1 & 2.
Can't wait for the 3.
So exited with.
I am a real fan of TRANSFORMERS!!!

So was i till the sh1t show of the 2nd movie.

K-Dog
Originally posted by willman
I was paying attention, i was paying enough attention to see that they kept stopping the action for a romance that was never developed in the first film (and no one really cared). The real thing that brought this movie down though was the constant stooping to an immature level. Those two twin autobots were introduced who were supposed to be "hip" maybe? They just turned out to be extremely annoying and to bring down the level of the movie as a whole. I walked out of the cinema when i heard one of them say he was gonna "pop a cap in yo a55"...when i watched it on DVD i tried to put up with it but trying to remain seated for the whole thing was a real test.

Only one sequel tops T2 for horrendous storyline and that's POTC: At Worlds End.

EDIT: Its good to see that T2 is also up for 7 Razzies: Worst film, Worst director, Worst supporting actress, Worst screenplay, Worst actress, Worst screen couple and Worst remake, ripoff or sequel.

I just saw the movie last weekend for the first time on Cinemax. I agree with a lot of your stuff here, as well as your first post in the thread. To me, they almost made a parody out of it---kinda like Men in Black. You had the two ghetto robots, you had the former Sector 7 guy who is now employed for a meat-shop with no government pension but he keeps a library of secret stuff under the meat cooler floor, etc. Yes, the robot girl with a metal tail coming out of her butt was a bit much and weird--plus they never introduced a transformer that could take the appearance of flesh before. Too much new stuff. Plus it was never really explained how the all-spark cube brought back Megatron 100% but the "new" energy artifact could bring Optimus back to life but barely and unable to walk. And like you said, they introduce a guy who is above Megatron, and it was silly how Megatron illogically screams and beats up Starscream even when Starscream does nothing wrong---it's not like Megatron ever does anything superior. Hell I think Starscream could take him down if he wanted too. The final fight scene barely took a few seconds and I figured it would be more epic.

But I like these kind of movies and it was almost 2.5 hrs of nonstop action so I enjoyed it stick out tongue

roughrider
I don't know what the larger plot will entail , but I am happy to see one of my favourite Decepticons - Shockwave - show up and likely challenge Megatron for the leadership.

DamienB
Originally posted by Lincoln Rhyme
The first was bad and the second one was worse.I'm gonna wait for Cinemax for this one.

they should make a gundam movie what ya think?

CadoAngelus
Im looking forward to it being beyond.

Beyond immature penis jokes and shite made-up characters...

Also, anyone who was disappointed with Megan Foxes performance will be glad to know that a new actress will take her place, an actress who's never acted past a commercial.

Sadako of Girth
Indeed.

Oh really? Blimey.... they seem intent on commercial suicide.
Did Hasbro not pay Bay protection money, or something....?

CadoAngelus
Indeed.

Oh really? Blimey.... they seem intent on commercial suicide.
Did Hasbro not pay Bay protection money, or something....?

If they did, Bay washed it down the proverbial toilet

Kazenji
Transformers 3 will be his last movie to do with the franchise

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/103755-exclusive-di-bonaventura-on-foxs-transformers-departure

RE: Blaxican

Doctor-Alvis
Probably because, outside of romance novels, it's pretty weird to describe a man's orgasm in text.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Kazenji
Transformers 3 will be his last movie to do with the franchise

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/103755-exclusive-di-bonaventura-on-foxs-transformers-departure

He has long jerked us around promising that ever f***ing movie so far and jerked the rug from under our hopes everytime. sad

Hope he means it this time.

Kazenji
More photos and a video

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/103815-more-chicago-transformers-3-set-photos

lordmegatron1
I'd really enjoy saying this face to face with some of you all; go **** yourselves you motherbot****ers. Starscream has no right to MY position. Cowards never get what they want in reality. They see action and they shit their pants and run. Not to mention he's a freakin' huge failure. he's failed me three thousand times. Two of those times were on Cylon 5. Our most important mission yet. Didn't end so well. Ironhide shot the core blowing it up and Starscream fled the scene when the first sign of the Autobots was obvious.. The asteroids from the planet collided with our mother planet Cybertron and set it off it's normal orbital pattern. You scientists have found it already and named it Nibiru or Planet X. They couldn't see upon its crust due to Cybertron's (Nibiru's) HIGH MAGNETIC FIELDS. In short; you're all ****ed!

darthmaul1
Originally posted by lordmegatron1
I'd really enjoy saying this face to face with some of you all; go **** yourselves you motherbot****ers. Starscream has no right to MY position. Cowards never get what they want in reality. They see action and they shit their pants and run. Not to mention he's a freakin' huge failure. he's failed me three thousand times. Two of those times were on Cylon 5. Our most important mission yet. Didn't end so well. Ironhide shot the core blowing it up and Starscream fled the scene when the first sign of the Autobots was obvious.. The asteroids from the planet collided with our mother planet Cybertron and set it off it's normal orbital pattern. You scientists have found it already and named it Nibiru or Planet X. They couldn't see upon its crust due to Cybertron's (Nibiru's) HIGH MAGNETIC FIELDS. In short; you're all ****ed!

Umm, what are you talking about?

CadoAngelus
Troll perhaps?

Sadako of Girth
"Cocaine is hell of drug" - Rick James messed

Sadako of Girth
Hang on.... I think he was responding to Nuul's Anti-Megatron/Pro-Starscream post in a neighbouring thread.

coolmovies
T3 should have more explosions and a better ending.

CadoAngelus
And less Penis jokes

Kazenji
Originally posted by coolmovies
T3 should have more explosions and a better ending.

and a good enough story....well good enough for a Bay movie.

darthmaul1
Do it like the first one and have it actually make sence. And disregard the 2nd movie

Kazenji
A stunt woman and a extra injured on the last night of chicago shooting

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/106556-extra-injured-on-transformers-3-set

CadoAngelus
Whoa...that sounds nasty. Final Destination style accident.

darthmaul1
It did sound nasty apparently a wire towing a vehicle snapped and went into the car and her head. Hope she is ok. She was an extra not even a stunt person

CadoAngelus
Well yeah. No-one wishes something like that upon anyone. It makes me shudder just thinking about it.

darthmaul1
Yeah well some of the responses on YouTube are down right nasty. I swear the human race is going to hell in a hand basket.

Sadako of Girth
I agree, DM...
Lotta insensitive pricks out there.

Thats a terrible and extremely unlucky accident.

coolmovies
Bumble bee crash's into police car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJm1w-wTomo&feature=related

RE: Blaxican
This movie is ****ing cursed

Sadako of Girth
By its director, by the sounds of it.

queeq
laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
stick out tongue "You KNOW it to be true...search your feelings..."

Not much searching required there, eh?

Why is that asshat continually given work..?

Was ROTF not bad enough/harrowing enough evidence of his employment being disasterous for a movie, so now people have gotta start being crippled for life because we failed to learn that lesson early on. Of course, despite being responsible, he'll escape prosecution....

CadoAngelus
"Mr. Bay, what do you have to say in your defence?"

"*penis joke*"

"We find the defendant, not guilty"

"*boom*"

Sadako of Girth
Heh. Thats right.

InfernoJG95
transformers and transformers 2 were awesome. but then again they focused on megan fox for the second one and that pissed me off. i didnt pay to see megan. i payed to see giant alien robots beat the crap out of other giant alien robots and explosions...lots of explosions and gunfire and more explosions and a side order of peter cullen

danialclarcke
I loved the first movie. Another was outrageous minute they were in America, so they are in Egypt. Girl hots for Sam is suddenly a robot., new characters left right and center, so some badass robot, which is still a high rank as Megatron, but hes never said before, the hidden weapon SOLID pyramid.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by danialclarcke
I loved the first movie. Another was outrageous minute they were in America, so they are in Egypt. Girl hots for Sam is suddenly a robot., new characters left right and center, so some badass robot, which is still a high rank as Megatron, but hes never said before, the hidden weapon SOLID pyramid.

Well said

lordmegatron1
I disreguard my poll as being "This is gonna suck ass!" given the recent teaser and Super Bowl trailer, this...is....gonna...be...AWESOME!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.